Is Remarriage after Divorce, Adultery?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many believe in second marriages after divorce?

• Only if divorce was due to sexual infidelity by the spouse?

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Only if a written document of divorce is given for any reason?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allowed if there was physical abuse in the marriage?

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Allowed if spouse refused to work and help financially?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll be honest, at 25 years old this is not a subject that I've given much study to. It is discussed from time to time, but I've never experienced helping / being there for someone going through this type of situation being at my age - so I'm just curious. @Episkopos I agree with what you said. If people knew that it was just initial then they could have the mindset of just asking for forgiveness. I then ask myself, well is that true repentance? But after repentance if they continue staying with the individual then it becomes a lifestyle of sin. Either way it is adultery and not what God desires for marriage.
A highly difficult thing to live without a helpmeet to begin with but, to come to the knowledge one is living in sin with their own spouse?? Not at all easy to walk away from one we love. Personally speaking, it is the hardest of anything I had to do. Ha, maybe ignorance IS bliss!

Reactions: LC627

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think this is a sad Thread.

Too many good christians have divorced because they were married before they were Christians...and now happily married to a Christian spouse.

These kind of threads can be very hurtful when people glibly pass sentence on others.
"Before their own Master they stand or fall.." Why put more weights on their shoulders.
We have just passed our 57th anniversary...I walked out on him twice taking my two kids with me...but it easily could have been a very different story had we not become Christians.

I will not judge others...we do NOT know their full story.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this is a sad Thread.

Too many good christians have divorced because they were married before they were Christians...and now happily married to a Christian spouse.

These kind of threads can be very hurtful when people glibly pass sentence on others.
"Before their own Master they stand or fall.." Why put more weights on their shoulders.
We have just passed our 57th anniversary...I walked out on him twice taking my two kids with me...but it easily could have been a very different story had we not become Christians.

I will not judge others...we do NOT know their full story.

57 years! Wow. My wife and I have been married for 3 years (I was 21 and my wife was 29)with the age difference there are times my immaturity comes out in situations but we learn together and we grow together and forgive together. Each day is a blessing and each day takes work.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone here think God would look at a woman and her children being beaten and abused in every way on a regular basis, deciding to divorce said "husband" -as sinning? Should she just stay and live with that kind of abuse? Or, is it that she should just physically take herself and her children out of the house and out of harms way but, stay married just not live with him? There are a TON of circumstances that can come into play here. I cannot see God condoning one should stay where there is this kind of abuse.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Does anyone here think God would look at a woman and her children being beaten and abused in every way on a regular basis, deciding to divorce said "husband" -as sinning? Should she just stay and live with that kind of abuse? Or, is it that she should just physically take herself and her children out of the house and out of harms way but, stay married just not live with him? There are a TON of circumstances that can come into play here. I cannot see God condoning one should stay where there is this kind of abuse.

Agree...
That is why I hate stupid legalistic religiosity and glib judgmental statements thumped on some keyboard, totally unrelated ...
..when they have not walked in the other persons shoes...

We have not seen the end of anyones story ...yet.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree...
That is why I hate stupid legalistic religiosity and glib judgmental statements thumped on some keyboard, totally unrelated ...
..when they have not walked in the other persons shoes...

We have not seen the end of anyones story ...yet.
You are right, how do we know what others have to be subject to at the hands of one who professed to love and cherish them til death do they part. Amen!

Reactions: Helen

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is an awful post and a slight on a godly woman. There's no care for anything or anyone here....other than to slight both God and 1st Century lady. Shameful.

I am never ashamed to speak the truth.

Defining Love itself is doing what is right, regardless of the consequences.

God Bless,
Taken

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am never ashamed to speak the truth.

Defining Love itself is doing what is right, regardless of the consequences.

God Bless,
Taken

The is 'speaking the truth' and there is speaking the truth in the Spirit of the Father. Two very different things.

Truth which comes via the Spirit of the Father is heard...because His sheep know His voice.
Truth spoke without the Spirit of the Father...falls to the floor and is of no avail because it has no life within it.

That happens a lot on the Site.... People can say and do say...
" But I spoke the truth"
But that was all it was , it was the "I" speaking...not in the Spirit of the Father....which bares fruit.

Reactions: Nancy and Episkopos

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God doesn't provide divorce as an option under the new covenant.

Divorce FROM WHOM?

You are speaking of Human men and women.

A human man or woman does not require Gods consent to Divorce.

One does not even require the others consent to Divorce.

Regarding the Lord....ONCE a heartfelt Vow is made TO HIM, it is Forever.
By the Power of God... the individual and God Will Be Faithfully Yoked together Forever!

And there IS no marriages in Heaven between humans.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how you can read this any other way.

11 And He said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her; 12 and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery.”

I believe what it says.
One is Divorcing the Other.
What exactly is the one BEING Divorced Committed?

Remarriage in this verse is specifically speaking To the one who DID the Divorcing....that if "They" Then marry another, "They" have committed Adultry "AGAINST" their former wife.

God Bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The is 'speaking the truth' and there is speaking the truth in the Spirit of the Father. Two very different things.

Truth which comes via the Spirit of the Father is heard...because His sheep know His voice.
Truth spoke without the Spirit of the Father...falls to the floor and is of no avail because it has no life within it.

That happens a lot on the Site.... People can say and do say...
" But I spoke the truth"
But that was all it was , it was the "I" speaking...not in the Spirit of the Father....which bares fruit.

I asked a question.

She went off on her personal business, which was nothing I knew of or spoke of or asked.

If she feels better to rail against me for what transpired between her and her husband and you want to get in her business and comfort her for her husband leaving....go ahead.

I don't know her or her husband, nor was it the topic.

And BTW, there are a lot of people who do not want to hear the Truth...because it hurts and they respond with the first punch....and ? Why is that overlooked?

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy and Helen
D

Dave L

Divorce FROM WHOM?

You are speaking of Human men and women.

A human man or woman does not require Gods consent to Divorce.

One does not even require the others consent to Divorce.

Regarding the Lord....ONCE a heartfelt Vow is made TO HIM, it is Forever.
By the Power of God... the individual and God Will Be Faithfully Yoked together Forever!

And there IS no marriages in Heaven between humans.
If God did not provide divorce who did but the Devil?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If God did not provide divorce who did but the Devil?

"Provisions" given us from God are for our benefit.

There are many things that bind two together that is not particularly favored by God, but yet DUH, men do things that God does not approve of....and God has given men "rules" and "instructions" regarding those things.

Divorce, Slavery, Separation, etc...for example....that (thee all knowing God, already knows will affect men)....thus those things have guidelines.

The burden of adultry, of one who Divorces one, AND marries another, IS ON the one who Makes the Divorce happen.

The one whose spouse Divorces them....is what? The instigator and subject to adultery consequences?

God Himself allows people come to Him, join in the enlightment of His word....and then Leave Him.....Is he also to be condemned for
Not forcing them to be yoked to Him?

God Bless,
Taken

D

Dave L

"Provisions" given us from God are for our benefit.

There are many things that bind two together that is not particularly favored by God, but yet DUH, men do things that God does not approve of....and God has given men "rules" and "instructions" regarding those things.

Divorce, Slavery, Separation, etc...for example....that (thee all knowing God, already knows will affect men)....thus those things have guidelines.

The burden of adultry, of one who Divorces one, AND marries another, IS ON the one who Makes the Divorce happen.

The one whose spouse Divorces them....is what? The instigator and subject to adultery consequences?

God Himself allows people come to Him, join in the enlightment of His word....and then Leave Him.....Is he also to be condemned for
Not forcing them to be yoked to Him?

God Bless,
Taken
We are not to be unequally yoked (partners) with unbelievers.

B

Butterfly

We are not to be unequally yoked (partners) with unbelievers.
I have read this thread but not really chosen to comment so far, I am divorce, and I was the one divorcing but I have already been condemned here, so what's the point of explaining my story. Good job I am in a relationship with The Lord who does know all the facts and has walked with me through all the pain that the divorce ( and adultery - my husband, not mine ) brought about.

I find the unequal yoke thing interesting, here's is why...... I married as a non believer, my ex husband was also a non believer - so we were evenly yoked. Then three years into my marriage God decides to ' call me to faith ' - out of the blue I feel a conviction to go to church, each week that same conviction- bringing me into the environment to hear the gospel message. I came to faith about six weeks later .So from that point on I was in an unyoked marriage - now I would never recommend this, but it happened, with Gods timing. I stayed married for 27years --------- I can testify that you cannot have unity within an unyoked marriage.
However I have always been baffled by Gods timing !!
I had of course hoped for over 27 years that my husband would also come to faith-I am still waiting ( it would have been our 39th wedding anniversary this year.
Just for the record, I have always had complete peace about my divorce -
I have never wanted to remarry, not sure I could ever trust someone again within a relationship, and besides I felt I was being released from a prison when my marriage ended !
I have many friends who have remarried - ( Christian friends ) all their circumstances and journeys have been different - it's not my place to judge them X
Rita

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have read this thread but not really chosen to comment so far, I am divorce, and I was the one divorcing but I have already been condemned here, so what's the point of explaining my story. Good job I am in a relationship with The Lord who does know all the facts and has walked with me through all the pain that the divorce ( and adultery - my husband, not mine ) brought about.

I find the unequal yoke thing interesting, here's is why...... I married as a non believer, my ex husband was also a non believer - so we were evenly yoked. Then three years into my marriage God decides to ' call me to faith ' - out of the blue I feel a conviction to go to church, each week that same conviction- bringing me into the environment to hear the gospel message. I came to faith about six weeks later .So from that point on I was in an unyoked marriage - now I would never recommend this, but it happened, with Gods timing. I stayed married for 27years --------- I can testify that you cannot have unity within an unyoked marriage.
However I have always been baffled by Gods timing !!
I had of course hoped for over 27 years that my husband would also come to faith-I am still waiting ( it would have been our 39th wedding anniversary this year.
Just for the record, I have always had complete peace about my divorce -
I have never wanted to remarry, not sure I could ever trust someone again within a relationship, and besides I felt I was being released from a prison when my marriage ended !
I have many friends who have remarried - ( Christian friends ) all their circumstances and journeys have been different - it's not my place to judge them X
Rita

Amen Rita.
Good post my sister.
Rom 8:8 " There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

These condemners here remind me of the time that Jesus said -
"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone..."\

Those here may not fall into the same category....but are probably not free from gossip , backbiting , or gluttony... etc...

Bless you ..H

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My advice is loooooonnnnnnnggggggg engagements! With no fornication, and lots of Bible study.
The better option would be a very short engagement followed by the wedding and a Christian marriage. Isaac did not waste any time. Check it out.

Reactions: LC627

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good job I am in a relationship with The Lord who does know all the facts and has walked with me through all the pain that the divorce ( and adultery - my husband, not mine ) brought about.
Why would you be condemned if you were the offended spouse? Since you chose not to remarry, that's fine. But harboring an untrusting attitude to everyone else is not fine.