Is sin of the devil or not?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is a question that seeks to reveal the true direction of the people here on this forum. What say you!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1Jn 3:3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
1Jn 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
1Jn 3:6 Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jn 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
1Jn 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
1Jn 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
1Jn 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

What is John getting at here?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a question that seeks to reveal the true direction of the people here on this forum. What say you!

Since when can a created being create anything? Only God creates. We comment on creation and re-assemble created things into different combinations.

So if sin or evil is a force or substance - no created thing could have invented it or created it - impossible. God would have been the only being capable of creating it - and since we all know God cannot sin, He could not have created it either. So where does that leave us? It brings us back to evil - what is evil? The only option we have is to see it for what it really is - a lesser or compromised good. It is a misuse of creation - when creation is assembled to glorify ourselves instead of God, it is being misused and when we sin, evil is the result.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
You'll have to go into the Greek more to understand on what level John is speaking. John even gave a hint with saying "for his seed remaineth in him" about those born of God. The word "sin" there appears as two different Greek words. The first is put for 'a sin (properly abstract) (harmartia - 266)', but the second with 'hamartano' is about 'missing the mark (not share in the prize)' (Strong's no. 264).

Luke 16 with the "rich man" also gives this idea of missing the mark, or not measuring up, per the Greek with the word basanos, put for a touchstone. A touchstone was used to measure the amount of gold content in a piece of ore by striking it. Paul also hinted about this in 2 Thess.2 with those not saved because they received not the love of the Truth.

So it's not in the absolute, like we should never be guilty of any sin to be saved in Christ Jesus for that would negate what He did for us upon the cross, because we could not save ourselves nor ever be absolutely perfect in this flesh as He was. Also, in 1 John 1, he covered the idea of our need for continued repentance to remain in Christ's grace.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I believe that both sin and sickness are of the Devil. I believe the fall is of the devil. I thank God that one day he will restore all things! HalleluYAH! I thank God that he is removing the sin and sickness from me! I thank God that I am his child, and I thank God for CB! I thank God that he is teaching me to abide in him and I thank God that when I fail he forgives me!

Thank you God! Thank you God! Thank you God!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
A person will first comes to accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, then becomes baptized in the Holy Spirit. This person will allow the Holy Spirit to teach and guide him or her to live the whole Word of God.

When one shows that they love God by living his Word, then God comes and makes his home in that person. Having God make his home in one gives a person the power to defeat Satan/sin.

(1 John 2:27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you, the anointing he gave teaches you everything; you are anointed with truth, not a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

(John 14:21-23) “Whoever holds to my commandments and keeps them is the one who loves me; and whoever loves me will be loved by my Father, and I shall love him and reveal myself to him.' Judas –not Judas Iscariot – said to him, ‘Lord, what has happened that you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world? Jesus replied: Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

(John 14: 16-21) “If you love me you will keep my commandments. I shall ask the Father, ad he will give you another Advocate to be with you for ever, that Spirit of truth whom the world can never receive since it neither sees nor knows him; but you know him because he is with you, he is in you. I will not leave you orphans; I will come back to you. In a short time the world will no longer see me; but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will understand that I am in my Father and you in me and I in you. Anybody who receives my commandments and keeps them will be one who loves me; and anybody who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I shall love him and show myself to him.”

(1 John 3: 5 - 6) “ Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him.”

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

Yes I have.

So what is John getting at?

informer

May 1, 2011
Every man is tempted [to sin] when he is drawn away [attracted] of his own lust and enticed [flattered]; then when lust has conceived [invented or imagined the idea] it brings forth sin, and sin when it is finished brings forth death [or dead works].

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Every man is tempted [to sin] when he is drawn away [attracted] of his own lust and enticed [flattered]; then when lust has conceived [invented or imagined the idea] it brings forth sin, and sin when it is finished brings forth death [or dead works].

That is the law (at work in our bodies) of sin and death, where sin is inevitable, and death what all reap as a consequence.

[sup]2[/sup]For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Through Christ, we can walk in the Spirit and be free from this. We can now sow to the Spirit and reap life!

thisistheendtimes

Mar 3, 2008
The Jews in the O.T. did not worship the promised messiah, they only had THE FATHER to worship, but WE ("The TRUE worshiper")[/size] have BOTH The Father AND The SON.

The Jew's worship was done PHYSICALLY at physical locations (at the "holy mountain" and at Jerusalem temples), but the worship of the TRUE worshipper (us) shall be done 'SPIRITUALLY' (of TRUTH and in SPIRIT).

John 4:23
"But the hour is coming, AND NOW IS, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for such the Father seeks to worship him".

We were taught/fed "milk", but not "solid food" (unfortunately). The "doctrine of Christ" (Christ and Him crucified) is DONE and has been accomplished ("It is DONE").

We should no longer BASE our LOVING relationship on what has been accomplished/finalized (without a doubt, WE FOREVER HAVE/possess "salvation"). Now that we can rest easy knowing that Jesus has "purified" the flesh (Hebrews 1:3 and 9:14), in order to have a "more excellent" relationship with The Lord, we must move on to maturity so that the "doctrine of Christ" no longer defines our devotion/dedication, but we must let His SPIRIT be our trainer/teacher.

Hebrews 6:1 "Therefore let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God". ...but of course, we must never discard or ignore the doctrine whereby we have salvation...

"Any one who goes ahead and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God; he who abides in the doctrine has both the Father and the Son" (2 John 1:9). ....so now (unlike the Jews), we have BOTH The Father AND The Son (God's spirit is automatically included here).

In Revelation, the Jews have their own "144,000", but WE as "sons of God" ("sons of the most high") have a symbolic/spiritual "144,000" with BOTH names that define us..... Revelation 14:1 "his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads: The Jews knew that they had to 'perform works' of their own for worship (they understood the "gate")...

Ezekiel 46:1 "The gate of the inner court that faces east shall be shut on the six working days". ...so Jesus told them that their goal must be to enter by the "strait GATE", but our worship is to be a "walk" that begins on 'straight STREET' (start your walk with Jesus on that "STREET")....

Ephesians 5:2 "And walk in love". Acts 9:1 "And the Lord said to him, "Rise and go to the street called Straight". In Exodus, God listed the ten requirements/rules that must be complied with in order to acheive perfection (impossible for a human to do, God was simply showing the need of having the promised messiah)......... King David did not WAIT for the promised messiah......(David's "lord"), "THE LORD said to MY LORD/Jesus (Psalm 110:1).

Mark 12:36 "David himself, INSPIRED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT, declared, 'The Lord said to my Lord, Sit at my right hand, till I put thy enemies under thy feet.'".

The Jews had the law of sin and death to deal with, but we have the one who David relied on.

We are NOT Jews, they were baptized into MOSES (we are baptized into JESUS... 1 Corinthians 10:2 "and all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea". Spiritually (in GOD'S spirituality, not MAN'S spirituality), there were only 2 kinds of people in Jesus's day, there were the JEWS,....and everyone else was simply a MEMBER OF GREEK CIVILIZATION, but in Jesus, there are neither Jews nor gentiles/Greeks (the RSV says "Greek", other versions say "Gentiles"/non Jew). Galatians 3:28 "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (your life in Jesus is as a SPIRIT, spirits have no gender..."neither male nor female").

Transgressions (violations) against the ten rules of perfection could keep a Jew from being able to sit at the right hand of God (ban them from the afterlife "heaven"). It was also the religious law of the Jews that many "ordinances"/rules be followed, but Jesus abolished all of that so that we could live the law of liberty and have joy in life and live spirit-filled life...

Ephesians 2:15 "by abolishing in his flesh the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making PEACE".

Ephesians 3:16 "that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with might through his Spirit in the inner man".

Romans 8:16 "it is the Spirit himself bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God".

Godliness is not all about being prudish and avoiding violations of what has come to be CALLED "sin" (sin has no more spiritual power to ban us from "heaven", we can only perform "WRONGDOING").

WE have the 'FINAL CLEANSING for "sin", the sabbath rest in Jesus (this is the sabbath era)....THE one and only 'sin sacrifice' (the Jews had NONE OF THAT)....

"Otherwise, would they not have ceased to be offered? If the worshipers had once been cleansed, they would no longer have any consciousness of sin" Hebrews 10:2.

We must not be prudes and accuse others of being contrary to God because they inadvertently/mistakenly cause imperfection (of course it is not GOD'S WILL/desire that "imperfection" overrun our lives, wrongdoing WILL HAPPEN intentionally, carelessly, unknowingly, etc.).

It is with a 'heavenly spirit' that we will realize that the other person's faults are not always (hardly ever) due to wickedness (the mortal flesh is a WEAKNESS).

1 John 5:17 "All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal". How much real truth have we been taught/fed?....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Antioch

Don't be like the Hebrew believers that failed to know Jesus properly....

1 Corinthians 3:2 "I fed you with milk, not solid food; for you were not ready for it; and even yet you are not ready".

Hebrews 5:14 "But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their faculties trained by practice to distinguish good from evil".

Acts 11:26...

"and in Antioch, the disciples were first called Christians". Acts 9:2 (who SAUL persecuted) "that if he found any belonging to THE WAY, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem".

Acts 19:9 "but when some were stubborn and disbelieved, speaking evil of THE WAY before the congregation".

Act 24:22 "But Felix, having a rather accurate knowledge of THE WAY".

Historians place the Council of Jerusalem at about 50 A.D. (17 years after the crucifixion, Jesus was born in 1 A.D.).

John 14:6 "I am THE WAY...".
Scripture addresses the people of two thousand years ago, THE SPIRIT addresses the "True worshipper" of John 4:23.

All verses are from the RSV.

I apologize for my previous post being all formatted differently and small with bullets (I'm not sure why it happens in the last month or so). Maybe now I can repost in a sensible format (experiment). •