Is Sunday-observance the same as Sabbath-rest?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not what I was suggesting. I'm just saying - if what you're using that day for is a weight for you to shoulder, then you're doing it wrong.
Shaving, doing the dishes, brushing my teeth, taking out the trash, showering, putting on my PJs when it's time to go to bed - these are all weight to shoulder. Fixing breakfast, lunch, supper ... No, you have to exert some effort even, on the sabbath. Might as well go to church, too.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not what I was suggesting. I'm just saying - if what you're using that day for is a weight for you to shoulder, then you're doing it wrong.

Shaving, doing the dishes, brushing my teeth, taking out the trash, showering, putting on my PJs when it's time to go to bed - these are all weight to shoulder. Fixing breakfast, lunch, supper ... No, you have to exert some effort even, on the sabbath. Might as well go to church, too.
And going to church adds something positive to my life.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bringing it down to the level of individual tasks misses the point of the commandment, which is a day off of work.

This is basically the problem the Pharisees and Essenes had - they wanted to judge every individual task as to whether it counted as labor or not, and then prohibit it for Sabbath. Embarrassingly, one group of Essenes even prohibited pooping on the Sabbath. Seems to me like holding it all day is a lot more work. :phew:

And going to church adds something positive to my life.
I mean, there's your personal answer. But for many, church has become a myriad of tasks - good works, I'm sure - but they still subvert the day of rest into a day of labors.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bringing it down to the level of individual tasks misses the point of the commandment, which is a day off of work.

This is basically the problem the Pharisees and Essenes had - they wanted to judge every individual task as to whether it counted as labor or not, and then prohibit it for Sabbath. Embarrassingly, one group of Essenes even prohibited pooping on the Sabbath. Seems to me like holding it all day is a lot more work. :phew:

I mean, there's your personal answer. But for many, church has become a myriad of tasks - good works, I'm sure - but they still subvert the day of rest into a day of labors.
There are things that take effort that must be done on the sabbath, such as preparing meals. Another would be going to church. I enjoy going to church.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are things that take effort that must be done on the sabbath, such as preparing meals. Another would be going to church. I enjoy going to church.
Okay, but none of those are paid labor (I think). I assume that you take a day off from working a job, since most governments have laws establishing worker's rights, and they mostly don't allow 7-day work-weeks.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay, but none of those are paid labor (I think). I assume that you take a day off from working a job, since most governments have laws establishing worker's rights, and they mostly don't allow 7-day work-weeks.
I am retired, but I would take a day off when I was working. If I couldn't take my regular day off, I would take another day off.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didnt post any Scriptures..

So, which are you referring to??

Try using some of Paul's verses, if you can find them.

Clue : (NT).
I'm referring to the scriptures you quote along the way.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I'm referring to the scriptures you quote along the way.

Yes, your lame innuendo is allowed to continue, @quietthinker .

See you there....

הִנֵּה כָּל-הַמִּתְבָּעִים עָלֶיךָ יָבוֹשׁוּ וּמְבֻוָּלִים, כֹּל יִהְיוּ; וְהַמִּתְוַחֲרִים עִמָּךְ, יָמוּת.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, your lame innuendo is allowed to continue, @quietthinker .

See you there....

הִנֵּה כָּל-הַמִּתְבָּעִים עָלֶיךָ יָבוֹשׁוּ וּמְבֻוָּלִים, כֹּל יִהְיוּ; וְהַמִּתְוַחֲרִים עִמָּךְ, יָמוּת.
'lame innuendo'....what on earth are you talking about?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This.. (Lame Innuendo).

quietthinker said:
What the scriptures say and how you understand them is incompatible, Behold.
It's hardly an innuendo Behold, it's a direct statement telling you what you're 'hearing' in the scriptures is not what the scriptures are communicating.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It's hardly an innuendo Behold, it's a direct statement telling you what you're 'hearing' in the scriptures is not what the scriptures are communicating.

Its a "direct innuendo" that came out of your imagination, as usual.

Listen, you and i, .. anytime you like, can discuss the NT.

As in that case, you can then read what i post regarding Paul's Doctrine, and you can then address the post.

Im here a good bit on this Forum, and anytime you would care to have a discussion regarding NT Verses, then we can.

But there is no need for me to discuss further with you.. your innuendo, that is stating what it's stating, and you post no verses.... .just the innuendo.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I was clear.
Is your comprehension turned on?

Let me repeat.. "there is no need for me to discuss with you, your false innuendo that you directed toward me".

HOWEVER, any time you like, we , you can i, can discuss any NT verse you care to post... @quietthinker
yes you are clear.....as clear as pea soup.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if we take note that is when the jews even held their services was on the sabbath .
there was such a thing known as a sabbath days journey .
And it is not evil to DO GOOD on the sabbath either .
JESUS healed on the sabbath and yet was accused of breaking it
and yet if a child was eight days old upon the sabbath , IT HAD to be circumsized
to keep that which was first given even to ABRAHAM and later confirmed by moses and the law .
Many make an excuse for many things indeed .
BUT JESUS never once transgressed the sabbath . THEY DID . NOT HE . BUT THEY who thought they kept it .
the sabbath itself as did the law , as did the prophets , as did even abraham and others
SPEAK OF A MORE PERFECT REST . a REST FROM WHICH even the very SOUL COULD ATTAIN REST .
that WAS and THAT IS JESUS HIMSELF . the REST by which a man who does labor and is weary shall FIND REST FOR HIS SOUL .
Just keep that in mind my friend .

Reactions: Marvelloustime