Is The Bible The Actual Divine Word Of God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
In many of these Christian sites I keep coming across people claiming that this certain book or that certain book, based on what it says in them, is a contradiction to other books in the Bible and is thus not divinely inspired.

I am of the opinion that either the entire Bible is the inspired God-given Word or it isn't. And we as humans must accept every word or reject it in its entirety. Many parts have absolutely remarkable accountings of spectacular events and instruction that makes no sense if you are not a a Christian. We are simply not qualified to decide which book or scripture is divinely inspired and which isn't.

We as Christians are in no position to pick and choose.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
It is correct to view the scriptures as inspired by God. But it is incorrect to think that every word in them is written to us who are in the grace church.

example, if you believe the scripture is inspired by God then why want you agree that the book of James is not written to the grace church? After all, God said it was to the Jews (James 1:1).

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
You have already said in another thread, "In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul."

So you feel that what James wrote was not inspired by God.

Anyone else?

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
You have already said in another thread, "In my opinion the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul."

So you feel that what James wrote was not inspired by God.

Anyone else?

This topic has been discussed many times on this forum always with the same end result, disagreement. Discussing it one more time will not change anyone’s mind. The Canon of Scripture is set; God knows what He wants in HIS BOOK! If others want to discuss the topic, fine, if this topic turns into another argument between two or three people it will be closed again.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God Gave us Jesus, Jesus said that when He goes , God will send us the Holy Spirirt, to teach us the truth and things to come, but man doesnt need the Holy Spirit, He replace Go with a book. Oh how small we make Him, a God that is infiniote in glory, infinite in wisdom and power, who never stops doing things for man, never stoips reaching out to us, never stops speaking to us, but to men He is a simple book, and we think that with it we can achieve salvation, yet even Christ said,

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
Joh 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

So men reamin in the scriptures, reamin in the bible, never looking up and reaching out to Christ, learning from Him and finding Life. They say they have the road map to Crist, yet they never take the turnoff when they reach the street, and so, round and round they go, knowing where the street is, but nevr walking down it..

In His Love

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
God Gave us Jesus, Jesus said that when He goes , God will send us the Holy Spirirt, to teach us the truth and things to come, but man doesnt need the Holy Spirit, He replace Go with a book. Oh how small we make Him, a God that is infiniote in glory, infinite in wisdom and power, who never stops doing things for man, never stoips reaching out to us, never stops speaking to us, but to men He is a simple book, and we think that with it we can achieve salvation, yet even Christ said,

Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

So men reamin in the scriptures, reamin in the bible, never looking up and reaching out to Christ, learning from Him and finding Life. They say they have the road map to Crist, yet they never take the turnoff when they reach the street, and so, round and round they go, knowing where the street is, but nevr walking down it..

In His Love

I am not sure if you are speaking against the Scriptures or not. Have you read the Word of God? Do you understand what it says? I have studied Scripture cover to cover a number of times and every time I do I find deeper truths I hadn't seen before. That is what the Holy Spirit does, He opens our eyes more and more to see deeper into the Living Word.

mcorba

Aug 7, 2010
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What would we know of Christ or God without the books? There would be all sorts of crazy ideas, probably worse than Scientology, if thats possible.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
What would we know of Christ or God without the books? There would be all sorts of crazy ideas, probably worse than Scientology, if thats possible.

Are you familiar with scientology and L Ron Hubbard ? He used principles from different religions to form the principles of scientology including biblical principles from christianity. He claimed to study the bible among other sacred writings.

I am not sure if you are speaking against the Scriptures or not. Have you read the Word of God? Do you understand what it says? I have studied Scripture cover to cover a number of times and every time I do I find deeper truths I hadn't seen before. That is what the Holy Spirit does, He opens our eyes more and more to see deeper into the Living Word.

Yes indeed, and a little study will reveal that the Living Word is Jesus and not the bible but maybe you haven't gotten that far yet.
smile.gif

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Funny, I have read the bible, but I came to Christ before I even owned one. All I have learned had being from Jesus, God and the holy Spirirt as they teach me on my journey through life. So tell me. where is it that God says the bible is His word,

Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Joh 1:15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

And so we see, Jesus is the word of God, Come in the flesh. And so it was that Gods word was spoken to Mary, and she heard it, believed and it brought fourth life, Jesus was the product of that word, andHe lived His life doing His fathers will, as Gods word never returns void, and so through His resurection, God word returned to Him and He received eternal Life, His work ( Jesus) completed..

And Jesus , what was His take on all of this,

As He said,

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

And Saul, the one who was a pharisee, who was loved for His knowledge of the scriptures, who never knew Jesus, yet he had the scriptures, what did He have to say

Eph 4:20 But ye have not so learned Christ;
Eph 4:21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus:

2Co 3:5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
2Co 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

or Jesus again

Joh 6:45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

So what is it you want, Jesus, or knowledge, which is it you prefer. Jesus tells us that when He goes to the father, God will send us the Holy spirit to teach us the truth, not the bible , not the dead letter, but things to come.

God hasnt stopped talking we just stopped listening.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

So cant you hear, open the door , Let Jesus in, there is no greater teacher then our saviour.

In His Love

We have books. it produced religion, and church, full of crazy ideas isnt it.

In his Love

Paul

Aug 19, 2006
Funny, I have read the bible, but I came to Christ before I even owned one. All I have learned had being from Jesus, God and the holy Spirirt as they teach me on my journey through life. So tell me. where is it that God says the bible is His word,

And so we see, Jesus is the word of God, Come in the flesh. And so it was that Gods word was spoken to Mary, and she heard it, believed and it brought fourth life, Jesus was the product of that word, andHe lived His life doing His fathers will, as Gods word never returns void, and so through His resurection, God word returned to Him and He received eternal Life, His work ( Jesus) completed..

And Jesus , what was His take on all of this,

As He said,

And Saul, the one who was a pharisee, who was loved for His knowledge of the scriptures, who never knew Jesus, yet he had the scriptures, what did He have to say

So what is it you want, Jesus, or knowledge, which is it you prefer. Jesus tells us that when He goes to the father, God will send us the Holy spirit to teach us the truth, not the bible , not the dead letter, but things to come.

God hasnt stopped talking we just stopped listening.

So cant you hear, open the door , Let Jesus in, there is no greater teacher then our saviour.

In His Love

Funny, the very book you quoted to try to prove the Scriptures are not necessary to know Christ is the Scripture.

Are you saying that you learned about Christ while sitting all by yourself in a vacuum, no people around to tell you anything and that you have never looked at the Scripture?

Yes indeed, and a little study will reveal that the Living Word is Jesus and not the bible but maybe you haven't gotten that far yet.

jiggy,
I don't see the word bible in my statement. And, maybe you do know better, I guess we will find out sometime soon.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus couldnt convince the pharisees of the truth, because they believed he already had it, christians are the hardest to convince of the truth, because they too believe they already have it. Jesus sid that the path too life was narrow,and few shall find it, and you yourself can see, religion is a very wide path. but you see if i didnt quote words from the bible you wouldnt believe, and even when I do you dont believe,the word are right their in front of you, what is it you want, a damascus experience. Jesus Himself quoted scripture to the pharisees and they didnt believe, Just becasue the bible contains some of what God has to say to man does not make it all the word of God but christans are afraid to say otherwise, like God is going to strike them down fi they step outised the cube, afraid to walk against the flow, lest they be despised and loose there friends, Look at all the prophets in the OT, they walked outside the cube and they where despised and killed for it, the disciples walked outside the cube and they too where killed for it, JesusHimself walked outside the cube He was killed for it, and those today that walk out side the cube, well it int so bad, being stoned on a forum is a lot less painful. I am just so glad that now , just lately I can see more that are listening to God and not man. Good on them, They wil know Christ and not just about Him.

In His LOve

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
So back to the original question:

Is the Bible the divinely inspired word of God or isn't it?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In many of these Christian sites I keep coming across people claiming that this certain book or that certain book, based on what it says in them, is a contradiction to other books in the Bible and is thus not divinely inspired.

I am of the opinion that either the entire Bible is the inspired God-given Word or it isn't. And we as humans must accept every word or reject it in its entirety. Many parts have absolutely remarkable accountings of spectacular events and instruction that makes no sense if you are not a a Christian. We are simply not qualified to decide which book or scripture is divinely inspired and which isn't.

We as Christians are in no position to pick and choose.
I always like to pose this question to my brothers and sisters that believe as you do -
What do you make of this:

"The Book of Psalms contains 41,450 words. It is widely believed by scholars that
the famous Bard Shakespeare was approximately 46 years of age around the time
King James Version of the Bible was written.
Mysteriously, in Psaim 46, in the King James Version, the 46th word from the first
word is "shake" and the 46th word from the last word is "speare".

I love the Bible, but I do not trust men in power - things have been added, deleted, edited, omitted (in my opinion) -there were
no tape recorders even at the Sermon of the Mount, regrettably.

To say I could believe every single solitary word as accurate would mean I was not using the mind God gave me.
Then I might say - humans have only been here 6000 years - thinking the Bible was a literal account of history, when it is not. (imo)

I love Jesus and I love God and I follow what words and instructions we have written for us. It was the fact that Jesus said, "It is written...",
that even made me trust the Bible at all. (But that was before all these Versions and Translations and centuries.)
For me to not know corrupt men caught in their political eras changed a few things would make me personally embarrassed.

It does not have to make you embarrassed - think what you'd like - I'm just glad ya love God.
That is what is important.

Btw, an anticipatory statement: Those that get mad and insulting bec I think differently, I do not even relate to - I certainly don't get mad at them.
:)

The menu is not the meal.