Is the shedding of blood required for the forgiveness of sins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 9:

18 Therefore not even the first covenant was inaugurated without blood.
That's the context. The blood was related to the inauguration of the first covenant.

22 Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins.
When Jesus inaugurated the new covenant, he shed his blood.

Yes, initially, at the inauguration of the covenant. After that, believers could claim the blood as part of the requirements for the forgiveness of sin.

God told Moses in Exodus 33:

19b I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy.
God can forgive whomever he wants.

See also How were intentional sins forgiven in the OT?.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:
That's the context. The blood was related to the inauguration of the first covenant.
Covenants are legal contracts - they usually tell us the penalties for failing to adhere to the terms, and for a blood covenant that penalty is death. Perhaps the death of the offending party, but often provision is made for a proxy. Hence, animal sacrifices.

Yes, within the terms of a covenant, abatement of the penalties associated with violations of the contract requires the spilling of blood. That is what makes it a blood covenant. Other types of covenants exist, and have different terms...

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:

Yes, initially, at the inauguration of the covenant. After that, believers could claim the blood as part of the requirements for the forgiveness of sin.

Yes, God can require whatever He wants to require. And He required animal blood to start with, and later, His Son's blood.

But there is reason for God's requirement of blood--it's not just a random choice that makes no sense to Man. He chose to require of Israel animal blood under the Law because 1) something had to represent human death that resulted from human rebellion against God's word, and 2) it had to be an inadequate representation of flawed human ritual as a sincere appeal to God for mercy--hence, an *animal* sacrifice.

The true shedding of blood takes place both when everybody dies and when Christ himself died, innocently, for us. He did that so that when he rose from the dead and forgave those who repent to follow him they can rise too.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 9:

Forgiveness is NOT the same as atonement. God has ALWAYS been merciful. But atonement is to be cleansed into a holy state...without any spot or wrinkle of sin. The Blood of Christ cleanses us into the life of Christ (Zoe) to walk as He walked...by grace through faith.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Forgiveness is NOT the same as atonement. God has ALWAYS been merciful. But atonement is to be cleansed into a holy state...without any spot or wrinkle of sin. The Blood of Christ cleanses us into the life of Christ (Zoe) to walk as He walked...by grace through faith.
I don't actually think "atonement" means to be cleansed? I'm not really the language person, but common sense tells me the "atonement" is a gift to placate somebody's ire. It is a means of making things right, an act of reconciliation.

To cleanse is like taking a bath, to remove impurities. Granted, Christ's atonement does cleanse us. But I should think it is a distinct element in the cleansing process.

Reactions: marks

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't actually think "atonement" means to be cleansed? I'm not really the language person, but common sense tells me the "atonement" is a gift to placate somebody's ire. It is a means of making things right, an act of reconciliation.

To cleanse is like taking a bath, to remove impurities. Granted, Christ's atonement does cleanse us. But I should think it is a distinct element in the cleansing process.
The Hebrew word for atonement actually means 'to coat in something.' Usually blood, oil, or tar.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Typically Atonement is used to translate the Hebrew for "to cover". In the New Testament, words like reconciliation and propitiation and regeneration are used. "Atonement" only appears one place in the KJV NT, in Romans 5:11, though the Greek word that appears there is commonly translated as "reconciliation".

In the OT, the sins were covered. In the New Covenant, sins are removed.

Much love!

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Jericho

Aug 10, 2023
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have often wondered what it is about the blood that makes it so important, not only to God but also to the occult world. There seems to be some intangible quality about blood that transcends the physical. It's as if it acts as a conduit between the natural world and the supernatural world.

Reactions: marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have often wondered what it is about the blood that makes it so important, not only to God but also to the occult world. There seems to be some intangible quality about blood that transcends the physical. It's as if it acts as a conduit between the natural world and the supernatural world.
Death is sacred, and life is in the blood. When blood is shed it indicates we, as sinful people, deserve death. Thank God He only asked for animal sacrifices initially. Thank God that Jesus died for us, because our own deaths, righteous or not, would not be able to pay the price of resurrection and eternal fellowship with God.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think its because God said "the life is in the blood". Shedding blood means shedding the life.

Much love!

Reactions: amadeus and Jericho

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 9:

I believe the shedding of Christ's blood was meant to de-legitimatize Satan. When he had an innocent man, Jesus, murdered, he lost his credibility.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Is the shedding of blood required for the forgiveness of sins?​

The more the merrier? Perhaps that's why the bloodletting in the Middle East refuses to cease?

Mr Scott

May 4, 2024
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the shedding of blood is required for our forgiveness. in OT times the blood of animals was required to atone for sins, In NT times, Jesus Christ the lamb of God has shed his blood on the cross so that we and not only we but the whole world might be saved. (1 John 2:2) 1 Peter 1:18-19 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life you inherited from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish of spot. (it was with the precious blood of Christ that has redeemed us. In other words, if Christ had not shed his blood for us, if he had not been raised from the dead, we would still be yet in our sins. but because of Christ, we can be forgiven and have life).

Reactions: TonyChanYT