Is there a higher walk for believers in Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Timothy 1:15
This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.

and if you have any question. In the greek am chief is present, active indicative first person singular.

so did Paul contradict himself?
He may have meant that his sins stacked higher than anyone other, not that he currently sinned more than any other. Personally, this is what I think he meant.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can be in the flesh, if I could not. the bible would not warn me about being fleshly

romans 8 is our position in Christ. It speaks of spiritual life, verses spiritual death, or being in the flesh.
Being fleshy and being in flesh are different in the Bible.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They don't fit together

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are
and he lists them.

which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God because they are still in their flesh and have no spirit.

But the fruit of the Spirit is and then he lists them.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Galatians 5:16-18 KJV
16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18) But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

What does this part mean?

I don't see an answer to my question in your post.

The flesh lusts against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh, and these are contrary one to the other.

This shows us that flesh and spirit co-exist, and are against each other, each having it's own desires, those desires being contrary to the other's desires.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did not. He's living out a history of himself speaking in a way that refers to himself before Christ got to him.
Romans 7:14-18 KJV
14) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15) For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
17) Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Follow the verb tenses. He is writing of his present circumstance.

1705952845805.png
Here, for example, he is using present tense verbs. So if you think that Paul meant what he wrote, that's what he wrote.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can know we have pleased God when we are translated into the kingdom realm of the Spirit.

Col. 1:13 Who has delivered us from the power of darkness, and has translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
You are sidestepping.

You misrepresented a passage, and now you are deflecting.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
your Reformed interpretation
Let's not attribute my understanding as though it were another's. Will you then answer me as if I were them?

The interpretation that Paul was speaking as the normal condition of a Christian, was not in the early church fathers that is to say, from the disciples of the Apostles. Paul was speaking as a convicted believer who was serving in the flesh is the interpretation of those who followed the teaching of Thesosis and your Reformed interpretation came in much later.

And let's not just go to commentators right away, let's look at the text itself.

If you believe Paul wrote accurately, he used verb tenses that indicate he was speaking of his present circumstance. I can show you the places which leave no doubt about this, unless that is, you think he was not writing accurately. Let me know if you want to look at this together.

Much love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This shows us that flesh and spirit co-exist, and are against each other, each having it's own desires, those desires being contrary to the other's desires.
Then we have.

The Old Man of Sin is Dead and Gone​

“For we know that our old self was crucified with Him in order that our body of sin (our sinful nature) might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin.” Romans 6:6

From my understanding of God’s word..we know this because we have been Born Again of imperishable/ incorruptible seed...

Therefore two natures can’t live in our spirit...our old nature was done away with when we received our new Nature in Christ....therefore we are no longer slaves to sin, we are slaves to righteousness.You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Romans 61 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death?4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection.6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, [1] that we should no longer be slaves to sin--7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Let's not attribute my understanding as though it were another's. Will you then answer me as if I were them?

And let's not just go to commentators right away, let's look at the text itself.

If you believe Paul wrote accurately, he used verb tenses that indicate he was speaking of his present circumstance. I can show you the places which leave no doubt about this, unless that is, you think he was not writing accurately. Let me know if you want to look at this together.

Much love!
OK fine with me. He wrote accurately yes but was using a well known literally tactic called IDENTIFICATION, to define carnality in order to win the carnal believer to Christ and he becomes weak in order to gain the weak 1 Cor. 9:22. Romans 7:23 says he is held captive, by the power of sin, yet, Romans 6:6 tells us that he is set free from sin. Ephesians 4:24 tells us that “and that you put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and TRUE holiness”.

He says in verse 14 that he is carnal and yet, if he was truly carnal, he would not have
been penning Holy Scripture and instructing others to ‘copy him

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
OK fine with me. He wrote accurately yes but was using a well known literally tactic called IDENTIFICATION, to define carnality in order to win the carnal believer to Christ and he becomes weak in order to gain the weak 1 Cor. 9:22. Romans 7:23 says he is held captive, by the power of sin, yet, Romans 6:6 tells us that he is set free from sin. Ephesians 4:24 tells us that “and that you put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and TRUE holiness”.

He says in verse 14 that he is carnal and yet, if he was truly carnal, he would not have
It's about ongoing realities. Paul said ...in me dwells no good thing....that is in his flesh. Of course he's not talking about the indwelling Christ.

That means that while we can live by one nature or the other....we can't live in both at the same time. Many here believe they sin with a new divine nature. Such is the confusion of many. But while we are absent from the Lord in the lower walk we are not partaking of the divine nature...but of the carnal nature Of course we are bringing that into subjection if we are faithful to God. Whether present or absent we still seek to be acceptable (at least) to God.

The higher walk is the partaking of the divine nature of Christ where there is no sin.

People will rant against this because either they have not thought it through or else have never actually experienced the higher walk in the Spirit.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:14-18 KJV
14) For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
15) For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
16) If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Follow the verb tenses. He is writing of his present circumstance.

View attachment 40448
Here, for example, he is using present tense verbs. So if you think that Paul meant what he wrote, that's what he wrote.

Much love!
Romans 7 tells us right up at the top of the chapter that Paul is talking to those who are into or know the law. And then the context of the whole chapter is how we can see it's all about human's and how they toy with their flesh.

What Paul talks about in the seventh chapter of Romans is what occurs to the believer who still thinks the Law applies to them. They end up spiritually dying by the commandment and realize that the commandment does not produce life. The war is with their flesh because they are still believing the Law has power over them. In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law. We cannot live by faith in what Christ has done for us and still think our obedience to written laws are necessary. To do so takes away from the perfect work of Christ and places salvation and righteousness back in our own hands. Romans 8 states "the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin..."

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the eighth chapter of Romans is where it explains how we overcome this whole issue by living in the spirit and being dead to the Law.
Can you enlarge on this please? How do we live as being dead to the law?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
16) This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17) For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

What does this part mean?

I don't see an answer to my question in your post.

The flesh lusts against the spirit, and the spirit against the flesh, and these are contrary one to the other.

Much love!
You can have this if you are a Christian walking in your flesh...

But you do not have it if you are a Christian walking in the spirit. Again, for the gazillionth time. You can't sin "in him" and that's why you do not full fill the lust of the flesh when you walk in the spirit.

You cannot be a sinner and the righteousness of God at the same time. Look at the verse.

2 Corinthians 5:21
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God
in him.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you do not have it if you are a Christian walking in the spirit. Again, for the gazillionth time. You can't sin "in him" and that's why you do not full fill the lust of the flesh when you walk in the spirit.
Let's look again . . .

If you walk in the spirit, you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. The flesh exists, has its own lusts, which are against the spirit. If you walk in the Spirit, you will not fulfill those lusts. Not that the flesh and its lusts cease to exist, you simply won't fulfill them.

Much love!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it’s quite amazing how we are all seeking God Truth and we haven’t fallen out over it...Praise God!!..LOL.

Reactions: marks

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Again, for the gazillionth time. It's "in him"...

There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are
in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
I think we are all at different levels of spiritual understanding ...we are all seeking God’s truth...

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:17 KJV

What does he mean here, it is no more I, but sin that lives in me?

"No more I" means something changed, so, from what, to what? What was this change?

Much love!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 4:24 tells us that “and that you put on the new man which after God is created in righteousness and TRUE holiness”.
To whom does he address this admonition?

Much love!

Status
Not open for further replies.