Is your tattoo faith based?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is your tattoo faith based in its design?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I have a tattoo(s), but it/they are not faith based

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I have no tattoo

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No, but I would consider receiving a faith based tattoo design

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • No, but I'm surrently not sure what to think, whether I would get one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Just beforehand in the passage it also seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave?
This is not relevant. Are tattoos still connected with evildoers and pagans? They certainly are, and Christians are to shun all appearance of evil.

Pagan and NeoPagan Ink
by Livia Indica

The history of tattoos is tightly bound up with that of paganism because the first people to create and receive them were pagans or, at the very least, their ancestors whose shamanistic ways gave birth to paganism. Tattoo is one of the oldest forms of art, right after cave and rock art from prehistoric times. In fact, the ancient history of tattoo is so varied and universal that simply picking a spot on the globe reveals a rich history of body art. Throughout history tattoos served many different purposes. Some were rites of passage that marked a person’s journey into adulthood. For some peoples, a tattoo was an attempt at healing or pain relief. Some tattoos labeled a person a criminal. Others were reserved for shamans, priests and priestesses. Still more were exclusive badges of nobility or royalty. Libraries full of books could be written about the history of tattoos but, for my purposes, I’ll highlight the most well-known or popular pagan forms....

As we all know neopagans are not always in a position to freely express their faith, their beliefs or their values. Whether it’s because of narrow-minded family members, on-the-job tensions, custody battles or simply one’s location some of us have to keep a low profile. But tattoos hidden under clothes can be an amazing answer to this problem. Even when one cannot show it off one knows it’s there. If a neopagan doesn’t feel comfortable openly wearing a pentagram or a Thor’s Hammer, etc. these symbols tattooed on the skin can provide comfort and an amazing sense of empowerment.

But that’s only part of the appeal that tattoos hold for neopagans of every stripe. Many of us tend to be freethinking, tree-hugging, nature lovin’, creative and individualistic spirits who were stifled by the religions of our youth. We are a faith set apart by our differences from the dominant Abrahamic religions which are generally anti-tattoo. Those folks say that tattoos are pagan and they are right. By getting and proudly wearing tattoos we are further distancing ourselves from the religions we knew as children.

Many of us consider our bodies to be temples and what better way to honor our gods or protective spirits than with beautiful art on our bodies? Tattoos representing specific deities, the elements, etc. enable our bodies to not only become temples but altars. Tattoos are magic for the skin, the needles entering the skin is a powerful ritual. By enduring the pain, letting it pass through us and owning it we are embracing the primal within ourselves. We are proving ourselves before the gods. Not only is the ritual of getting a tattoo a life changing one but the tattoo itself will last forever as a testament to our pagan ways.

Theologies of Immanence / Tattooing

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is not relevant. Are tattoos still connected with evildoers and pagans? They certainly are, and Christians are to shun all appearance of evil.

Pagan and NeoPagan Ink
by Livia Indica

The history of tattoos is tightly bound up with that of paganism because the first people to create and receive them were pagans or, at the very least, their ancestors whose shamanistic ways gave birth to paganism. Tattoo is one of the oldest forms of art, right after cave and rock art from prehistoric times. In fact, the ancient history of tattoo is so varied and universal that simply picking a spot on the globe reveals a rich history of body art. Throughout history tattoos served many different purposes. Some were rites of passage that marked a person’s journey into adulthood. For some peoples, a tattoo was an attempt at healing or pain relief. Some tattoos labeled a person a criminal. Others were reserved for shamans, priests and priestesses. Still more were exclusive badges of nobility or royalty. Libraries full of books could be written about the history of tattoos but, for my purposes, I’ll highlight the most well-known or popular pagan forms....

As we all know neopagans are not always in a position to freely express their faith, their beliefs or their values. Whether it’s because of narrow-minded family members, on-the-job tensions, custody battles or simply one’s location some of us have to keep a low profile. But tattoos hidden under clothes can be an amazing answer to this problem. Even when one cannot show it off one knows it’s there. If a neopagan doesn’t feel comfortable openly wearing a pentagram or a Thor’s Hammer, etc. these symbols tattooed on the skin can provide comfort and an amazing sense of empowerment.

But that’s only part of the appeal that tattoos hold for neopagans of every stripe. Many of us tend to be freethinking, tree-hugging, nature lovin’, creative and individualistic spirits who were stifled by the religions of our youth. We are a faith set apart by our differences from the dominant Abrahamic religions which are generally anti-tattoo. Those folks say that tattoos are pagan and they are right. By getting and proudly wearing tattoos we are further distancing ourselves from the religions we knew as children.

Many of us consider our bodies to be temples and what better way to honor our gods or protective spirits than with beautiful art on our bodies? Tattoos representing specific deities, the elements, etc. enable our bodies to not only become temples but altars. Tattoos are magic for the skin, the needles entering the skin is a powerful ritual. By enduring the pain, letting it pass through us and owning it we are embracing the primal within ourselves. We are proving ourselves before the gods. Not only is the ritual of getting a tattoo a life changing one but the tattoo itself will last forever as a testament to our pagan ways.

Theologies of Immanence / Tattooing
My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also, and I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to receive ink in this way; indeed, so many Christian young ppl would think along similar lines. In short: it works; and they do cause the subject of the tattoo's design to become talking points, from a pragmatically effective perspective.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't mind them on men...I hate seeing them on women though
PS: I guess it's now a moot point whether, while you don't dislike tattoos on men, your dh might not dislike them on women, either.

Beyond likes and dislikes, from a pragmatic point of view a lot of Christians seem to recognize that it's an effective means - small ones on wrist, etc. - for faith designs to become everyday talking points.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes just
So is your tattoo (if you have one) faith based in its design?
Hmmm? Faith based? Would we be led by faith in God to permanently mark ourselves even with what we might believe to be good things? What things are good? Who decides what is good and what is not other than the only One who is good?

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God." Mark 10:18

If we are following Him and hearing His voice will we not do what He wants us to do? Has anyone heard the Holy Spirit say to get a tattoo? Or was it perhaps the voice of people or the latest styles and fashions that caught our eye and we wanted to be like them?

Who is our king? Who do we want to be our king?

"And ye have this day rejected your God, who himself saved you out of all your adversities and your tribulations; and ye have said unto him, Nay, but set a king over us. Now therefore present yourselves before the LORD by your tribes, and by your thousands." I Sam 10:19

Should we not speak with and listen to and obey our king? Who is our king?

"To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out.
And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice.
And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers." John 10:3-5

Reactions: brakelite and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you:
I am the LORD.

"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17

B

Butterfly

I have a butterfly on the underside of my wrist- I got it done when I was 50. It is a reminder of what the Lord has brought me through- I had it coloured purple to remind me that I am daughter of the King.
I know there are many who do not think tattoos are right, but I still believe it is the motive behind the tattoo that determines that. I have a clear conscience and have never regretted getting it done.
God knows my heart and why I chose to have it done.
Rita

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Just beforehand in the passage it also seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave? if they do, maybe they are backhandedly admitting that Old Testament Jews in the land under the law and New Testament Christians under grace following proven effective witness means are distinct.
I have always seen tattoos as taboo. my grand dad had two tattoos and he hated them, they looked good to me but he said never get one because everyone who gets tattoos hate them later on and I see that with old mates who say the same. not to mention that such rubbish is a wast of money and one mate got sick because of getting one done.

A man should not shave his beard, why do they do this shaving thing for, if God gave you such why try to get rid of it, it could be seen as rebellious to God I think.
I do trim the beard, nothing worse than being scruffy looking, like something the cat dragged in.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
"Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning." James 1:17
Great verse there in James! although the chapter in Leviticus also seems to say about not trimming one's beard; so I wonder how many New Testament Christians would say we ought to be like bushy bearded Old Testament Jews in the land?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have a butterfly on the underside of my wrist- I got it done when I was 50. It is a reminder of what the Lord has brought me through- I had it coloured purple to remind me that I am daughter of the King.
I know there are many who do not think tattoos are right, but I still believe it is the motive behind the tattoo that determines that. I have a clear conscience and have never regretted getting it done.
Rita
@amadeus & @"ByGrace" : Seems you do rather like the idea behind tattooed Butterfly's (Rita's) design?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have never liked skin ink.

God Bless,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Rita
Clearly you are a confidently tattooed Christian woman with no regrets.

Did you vote in the poll? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have never liked skin ink.

God Bless,
Taken
Yes, I guess that for a lot of ppl it's in the realm of likes and dislikes and for them they dislike skin ink, period.

For others, it's a more nuanced approach, particularly given the sheer prevalence of skin ink, and for not a few Christians it's a matter of what pragmatically communicates effectively the idea behind a tattoo design; they are proven conversation-starters and hence the popularity among many Christians of something like a wrist tattoo, for example, of the Christians fish sign <><, a Bible ref. or phrase. (If this makes sense?)

Reactions: Butterfly
B

Butterfly

Clearly you are a confidently tattooed Christian woman with no regrets.

Did you vote in the poll? :)
I wasn't sure what to click on - I mean it is not faith based, but it is based on testimony , which is linked to my faith - lol

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wasn't sure what to click on - I mean it is not faith based, but it is based on testimony , which is linked to my faith - lol
You choose! :)

Actually, more seriously, I'm reminded of a conversation my wife and I had with a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of the young lady's willingness to receive this thoughtfully designed flow of inking.

She was actually a rather shy young lady; but at the same time there was something about her which seemed to show a radiant boldness in her evident determination to use this self-evidently effective means to communicate her faith convictions.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I guess that for a lot of ppl it's in the realm of likes and dislikes and for them they dislike skin ink, period.

For others, it's a more nuanced approach, particularly given the sheer prevalence of skin ink, and for not a few Christians it's a matter of what pragmatically communicates effectively the idea behind a tattoo design; they are proven conversation-starters and hence the popularity among many Christians of something like a wrist tattoo, for example, of the Christians fish sign <><, a Bible ref. or phrase. (If this makes sense?)

From a worldly aspect;
Ideas are introduced; the admired who accept the ideas, reveal their acceptance and comfort with the ideas, and society jumps on board, that the world is in agreement and accepting.

Aside from the reasoning; Scriptural Truths is about leading a man Away from the corruption of this World into the Lords World.

We already know, the "god" Of this World has plans to MARK, those OF this World with "his" MARK. Inasmuch as God is preparing men For acceptance Of His Kingdom....so also is the "god" of this World preparing men to ACCEPT His MARK.

My personal preference is Awareness.
If this World is lining up to jump onboard...
It is most likely something the Word of God has cautioned His flock to beware.

Glory to God,
Taken