It is mandatory for BACs to participate in their salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
williemac : You are not replying to my posts. You are simply quoting one sentence and then repeating yourself over and over. But you have missed one important item.
I didn't miss it.

williemac; "However, if one obeys His commandments in order to keep his salvation, (equal to salvation by works) then yes, he is following after a doctrine contrived in the old covenant and brought into our covenant through the craftiness of Satan...in my humble opinion."

I'm trying to help you ... please try to stay focused.

All your post revolve around this confusion you have, thinking that Paul did away with the commandments of God.

As result of all this confusion, you're saying that Jesus is teaching the doctrine of Satan.

Here's an example.

"I have agreed all along that keeping the moral commandment is recommended."

Here's what Jesus says.

"if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments"

See the difference!

Unabated malignant confusion can grow into dilution if left unattended, so please pay attention.

Let's revisit your teachings.

williemac; "However, if one obeys His commandments in order to keep his salvation, ..."

Please note that Jesus is saying that very thing, we must indeed keep the commandments of God to keep our salvation; "enter into life".

But, you declare this is a doctrine of Satan; "doctrine contrived ... through the craftiness of Satan"

See what happened there? ... You're saying that what Jesus is teaching, is Satan's doctrine.

A: Have you finally realized that Jesus is teaching the truth; "if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments"

B: Are you still confused with the Mosaic Law and think that Jesus is teaching the doctrine of Satan?

Which is it?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
I already replied to these charges. What I said was the same a Jesus said to Satan: "It is also written" If you are only going to keep quoting just one passage, then we will have to agree to disagree. But this is not about keeping me focused on truth. It is merely about your agenda to keep me focused on the old covenant. Sorry, dude. I've had enough of this stupidity. Jesus gave them a requirement they couldn't keep. Paul explained all of it to the Galatians. But I forgot, you don't have that letter in your bible.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Acts 15:23-29 (ESV):

“The brothers, both the apostles and the elders, to the brothers who are of the Gentiles in Antioch and Syria and Cilicia,greetings. [SIZE=.75em]24 Since we have heard that some persons have gone out from us and troubled you with words, unsettling your minds, although we gave them no instructions,[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]25 it has seemed good to us, having come to one accord, to choose men and send them to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who themselves will tell you the same things by word of mouth.[/SIZE] [SIZE=.75em]28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements:[/SIZE][SIZE=.75em]29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell.”[/SIZE]

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Dodo_David:
"28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements:29 that you abstain from what has been sacrificed to idols, and from blood, and from what has been strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well. Farewell."
"5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses."

!!! News Break !!! ... we're not under the Mosaic Law.

But, Jesus wasn't confused with the Mosaic Law and the commandments of God; "The law and the prophets were until John."

So, we can't take a scripture referring to the Mosaic Law, and make the words of Jesus disappear; it don't work that way.

"... but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments"

How silly is it to think we can just ignore God?

"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."

We're going to be judged by the words of Jesus.

Should we teach that the words of Jesus, are the doctrine of Satan?

williemac; "However, if one obeys His commandments in order to keep his salvation, (equal to salvation by works) then yes, he is following after a doctrine contrived in the old covenant and brought into our covenant through the craftiness of Satan...in my humble opinion."

Does a person have any understanding of the Bible, whatsoever, if they think it's Satan that wants us to keep the commandments of God?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
IBeMe said:
"5 But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses."

!!! News Break !!! ... we're not under the Mosaic Law.

But, Jesus wasn't confused with the Mosaic Law and the commandments of God; "The law and the prophets were until John."

So, we can't take a scripture referring to the Mosaic Law, and make the words of Jesus disappear; it don't work that way.

How silly is it to think we can just ignore God?

"He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day."

We're going to be judged by the words of Jesus.

Should we teach that the words of Jesus, are the doctrine of Satan?

Does a person have any understanding of the Bible, whatsoever, if they think it's Satan that wants us to keep the commandments of God?

Satan wants us to commit the same offense he did, which is to take the place of God. So it is all about the motives of the heart. I am speaking to you sincerely, here. Please try to refrain from ignoring what I am saying. I will repeat myself yet again, since you don't mind doing that as well. Here goes: It is not the keeping of the commandments that is wrong. In fact, it is good. However, doing the right things for the wrong reasons has no profit. The wrong reason is to save one's life.

As for the Mosaic law. Duh! Moses brought the commandments down from Mt. Sinai. Where do you think the word Mosaic comes from? Moses. But Paul explained to the Galatians that the commandments that came down from Mt. Sinai were of the old covenant, and brought about bondage. This is found in Gal.4:24.

I will sincerely try to explain what I am saying. You are free to disagree, but please do not accuse me of saying that which I am not saying.
I am speaking of two covenants. There are commandments present in both covenants. But the difference is in what these commandments were to accomplish. In this covenant, the moral commandments do not have the role of granting life to those who keep them. The reason is so that no man can boast before God.

What Satan wants us to have is bondage. This word is found in Gal,4:24, and Gal.5:1. The way he has done this to many of your persuasion is to keep you from understanding that Jesus taught both old covenant law, and new covenant faith. We are not under both covenants. Your mistake is to fail to understand the transition from the old to the new. It didn't happen in Math.1:1. It happened at the cross. When you quote Jesus before He died, you need to recognize the context. You are failing to do that.

The bondage does not come from keeping commandments. It comes form the attempt to be justified by it. We keep them because we are justified, not because we want to be justified. Faith comes first. The attempt to be justified by works is the absence of faith. We are justified by faith. Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Warning.....personal attacks are not permitted in this board. Please keep the conversation strictly to the OP and bible content for or against said OP.

Any more 'attitude' will result in this thread being locked. Thanks.

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
That was some funny reasoning around the theme of "bondage" in the post 2 up.

Let's have a practical example, if for example I'd say "I love God" and mean it, according to that I would risk to be in bondage because I secretly could want to be justified by remembering it's also the first commandment,.

nobody ever heard of such an absurd thing. Better explanation would be I have an actual relationship with Jesus and don't care what religious people think about it.

we are never in bondage pleasing Jesus, that is totally absurd, in that regard I agree with what was previously said about the "confusion" regarding what Satan wants and what Jesus deserves..

here is an Biblical example about real bondage and it's relating main factor:

2 Peter 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Bondage always relates to sin, that is what can bring and keep us in bondage, not to love God or our neighbour, or do other pleasing things God aproves of, nobody thinks in such legalistic terms except theologians that twist doctrines that seem to make some logical sense, unless you try them with practical examples, then they suddenly sound strange and somhow void of content, as nobody managed to really love God in order to obtain or even be interested in salvation, circumstances like that do not exisit in real life.

If the book of Revelation is any prove, the prophecy of the resurrected Jesus is STILL the same as in the time when he walked the earth.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

There goes the distorted idea that Jesus is teaching 2 covenants, what is beat to death on forums and not actually true, Jesus does not teach 2 different things before and after the cross, that's an American invention that is based on Darbys' dispensationalism to keep everybody OUT of the group of the saints of Rev 14:12. In the most simplest terms, we either identify with these saints, or we are not one of them.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Tropical Islander said:
That was some funny reasoning around the theme of "bondage" in the post 2 up.

Let's have a practical example, if for example I'd say "I love God" and mean it, according to that I would risk to be in bondage because I secretly could want to be justified by remembering it's also the first commandment,.

nobody ever heard of such an absurd thing. Better explanation would be I have an actual relationship with Jesus and don't care what religious people think about it.

we are never in bondage pleasing Jesus, that is totally absurd, in that regard I agree with what was previously said about the "confusion" regarding what Satan wants and what Jesus deserves..

here is an Biblical example about real bondage and it's relating main factor:

2 Peter 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

Bondage always relates to sin, that is what can bring and keep us in bondage, not to love God or our neighbour, or do other pleasing things God aproves of, nobody thinks in such legalistic terms except theologians that twist doctrines that seem to make some logical sense, unless you try them with practical examples, then they suddenly sound strange and somhow void of content, as nobody managed to really love God in order to obtain or even be interested in salvation, circumstances like that do not exisit in real life.

If the book of Revelation is any prove, the prophecy of the resurrected Jesus is STILL the same as in the time when he walked the earth.

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

There goes the distorted idea that Jesus is teaching 2 covenants, what is beat to death on forums and not actually true, Jesus does not teach 2 different things before and after the cross, that's an American invention that is based on Darbys' dispensationalism to keep everybody OUT of the group of the saints of Rev 14:12. In the most simplest terms, we either identify with these saints, or we are not one of them.
Thank you for your participation. I would like to explain my use of the word bondage. I would not expect you to have read through this thread, but FYI, the pattern has been that IBeMe has not really engaged in any meaningful scriptural debate or discussion, but rather picked on a couple of things I said and repeatedly quotes them out of context, thus misrepresenting my point. Then he repeats the same demand over and over that I confess my error.
My mention of Satan was merely a response to his first mention of Satan. I was merely countering him. As well, my mention of bondage was in that context. I was using it from the letter to the Galatians. The bondage mentioned in that letter was not bondage to sin, but rather bondage from the covenant of law. In Gal.4:24, Paul talks of two covenants, the one of which came down from Mt. Sinai giving birth to bondage. The word crops up again in Gal.5:1, where Paul exhorts them to stand fast in the liberty by which Christ has set us fee and be not entangled again with a yoke of bondage. To put an exclamation on it, in vs.4, Paul tells them they have become estranged from Christ and fallen from grace by way of their attempt to be justified by law.

So please, my friend. I beg to differ from your point of view. I am not following anyone else's viewpoint. I have derived at my own conclusions in my quest to understand the bible in such a way as to erase any perceived contradiction. My observation is that Jesus gave two differing requirements for life, depending on the context.

After Paul's conversion, he went into the wilderness for no less than 14 years, no doubt to study and be taught by the Holy Spirit. The revelation he received explains the purpose for the law, which was to tutor the people, to lead them to Christ. He also said the it was instituted until the time when faith would be revealed. Faith revealed? What do you suppose that even means? My take is that the purpose and role of faith in receiving life was not yet understood, because the object of it, the sacrifice of Jesus, had not yet occurred.

Jesus could not fully reveal His mission publicly, which was to died for sin, because as the bible says, if they knew and understood who He was, they would not have crucified Him. Thus, the first covenant remained in place until after His death, as is explained in Hebrews.

So just from what we know of the time frame, the covenant of law was not replaced by the covenant of grace until after the death of Jesus. And from our look at Paul's letters, there can be no mistaking his confirmation of John 3:16, that life is a free gift, granted by grace, given by way of our faith in Him, and as Rom.10:4 confirms...Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to those who believe.

Does the law still have a purpose? Yes. It has always had the purpose of giving man a standard to compare himself with, so that he can see his need for a savior. Don't you think Jesus would have understood that? Throughout His time here He frequently revealed to the people that they were falling short. He never let anyone off the hook.

The bondage that I am speaking of is the fact that man does not have the resources within himself to fully satisfy the righteous requirement of the law. The release from that bondage is in the change of the requirement for life...from law to grace, from works to faith.

The bondage of sin, on the other hand, is removed by way of our being made a new creation. But this is a two stage operation. It begins at the new birth, and is finished at the resurrection.

The doctrine that I am opposing is the idea that we are given the Holy Spirit for the purpose of our being successful in keeping the requirements of law for justification, through His ability in us. While no one is putting it in those exact terms, that is the bottom line of what they propose. They are doing what the Galatians were doing. They are going back under the law for justification. (in my humble and respectful opinion). The Holy Spirit is not given to change the conditions of the covenant. Life comes to us by the free gift of grace, given to the humble, through faith in Jesus, and will not change or revert back to the "bondage" that came from Mt Sinai.

Lets do the right things for the right reasons. Life is not earned. It is always freely given and freely received. Otherwise Christ died in vain.

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
It's not that I don't understand your explanation williemac, it's standard rethoric in order to make sense of commandments of Jesus in the NT by people that make that absolute split commandments from grace. And you concentrate too much on the aspect of justification.

You bring up the reasoning people would keep commandments for the sole purpose of justification. That is not the case under grace, at all. Total misconception. It's rather grace in action flowing freely from the receiver back to the Creator and grace giver. Like in a relationship, not part of any the logical discussion. I don't tell my wife that I don't have to love her anymore since I'm not a legalist and she signed the declaration already. She would say that our relationship sucks or is not existant and she would be right.

And there at this point nobody concentrates on legalistic theories in the real life relationship anymore, or acts according to what's not already on their heart. One of the best descriptions of the new covenant is that His laws are written on our hearts. Once that is the case I don't find the neccessity to start reasoning about that fact in order to make the claim the true reason this would be written and exist on my heart is so I can claim some form of justification. That would be absurd. This would then sound more like a relationship problem that uses a fav. pet doctrine in order to keep the relationship on a distance.

Now the other point that Jesus is now supposedly divided into 2 covenants is a persistant one in modern theology, but according to the Bible it will not survive to the end, at least not among the saints. Most of these things, like grace without obedience was invented in the last 50 to 100 years and will not make it until the end in the group of the saints, except in the very large group of "the many" that are deceived about that in form of another gospel that introduced another grace, that is actually only based on lawlessness. What is actually anti-christ christianity. The imagined Christ that will not judge us.

Takes a while to clearly see it as what it is, because it's so nicely camouflaged in nice looking things. Subtle, clever, very popular because sinners get not offended by it, and the very opposite of Biblical Christianity.

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
williemac : Please try to refrain from ignoring what I am saying. I will repeat myself yet again, since you don't mind doing that as well. Here goes: It is not the keeping of the commandments that is wrong. In fact, it is good. However, doing the right things for the wrong reasons has no profit. The wrong reason is to save one's life.
Far from ignore; I'm quoting what you say.

You consistently repeat the same theme.

Let's compare this to Jesus's doctrine.

So, Jesus says we must keep His commandments to enter eternal life; but if thou wilt enter into life.

But, you say; "The wrong reason is to save one's life."

Since you declare this the "wrong reason", I ask for clarification; are you saying Jesus was telling us to keep the commandments for the wrong reason?

Actually, you get a lot stronger, you say this is a doctrine of Satan; "... a doctrine contrived in the old covenant and brought into our covenant through the craftiness of Satan ..."

"Please try to refrain from ignoring what I am saying."

Since you declare this a doctrine of Satan, I ask for clarification; are you saying Jesus was teaching the doctrine of Satan?

williemac : I am speaking of two covenants. There are commandments present in both covenants. But the difference is in what these commandments were to accomplish. In this covenant, the moral commandments do not have the role of granting life to those who keep them. The reason is so that no man can boast before God.

What Satan wants us to have is bondage. This word is found in Gal,4:24, and Gal.5:1. The way he has done this to many of your persuasion is to keep you from understanding that Jesus taught both old covenant law, and new covenant faith. We are not under both covenants. Your mistake is to fail to understand the transition from the old to the new. It didn't happen in Math.1:1. It happened at the cross. When you quote Jesus before He died, you need to recognize the context. You are failing to do that.
If you're having trouble understanding the difference between the Mosaic Law and the commandments of God, perhaps this will help.

Genesis 26:5 "Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws."

We see God's code of conduct ... God's commandments ... God's definition of what's right and wrong; way before the Mosaic Law.

The Mosaic Law was given to the children of Israel to teach them God's code of conduct, and help them keep it.

The Mosaic Law ended when John's ministry began.

"The law and the prophets were until John ..."

So, when Jesus said, "if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments", He wasn't confused about the Mosaic Law, which was until John.

Trust me, Jesus knows what He's talking about!

williemac : The bondage does not come from keeping commandments. It comes form the attempt to be justified by it. We keep them because we are justified, not because we want to be justified. Faith comes first. The attempt to be justified by works is the absence of faith. We are justified by faith. Not of works, lest any man should boast.
"It comes form the attempt to be justified by it."

LOL ... Pardon me for laughing, but that's pretty silly.

Why would anyone think they could be justified by keeping commandments?

That doesn't make any sense.

Apples and Oranges.

Don't you understand what commandments are ... basically ... rules.

Rules can't forgive sins, only God can.

It's when we break the commandments that we need forgiveness.

So keeping commandments doesn't forgive sins.

But, breaking commandments causes us to become commandment breakers; sinners.

Now, God can make a rule that if we break His commandments, we can't enter into eternal life ... as a matter of fact ... He did just that.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
IBeMe said:
Don't you understand what commandments are ... basically ... rules.

Rules can't forgive sins, only God can.

It's when we break the commandments that we need forgiveness.

So keeping commandments doesn't forgive sins.

But, breaking commandments causes us to become commandment breakers; sinners.

Now, God can make a rule that if we break His commandments, we can't enter into eternal life ... as a matter of fact ... He did just that.

I'm sorry...but can I ask a question??
You say here, rightly, that rules can't forgive sins, only God can.
You also say that breaking God's rules makes us sinners...again, sure, I agree with that, and so would scripture.

But your sentence above, which I underlined, that says that God has made it that if we break his rules, we can't be saved, doesn't seem to be backed up by scripture.

for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. (Matthew 26:28, ESV)

To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” (Acts 10:43, ESV)

He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:13-14, ESV)

Jesus came to deliver us from our sins....the gift of grace is forgiveness from our sins and salvation.
So...I'm wondering how you have decided that God has declared if we break his rules (which we know we do helplessly...if we could keep them, there would have been no need for Christ's sacrifice), that he will not forgive us....when the bible teaches that because we cannot keep his laws, he sent his Son to redeem us?

Am I mistaking what you are saying, or are you truly saying that God has declared it an unforgivable offense to break his commandments? Thanks....

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Rach:
I'm sorry...but can I ask a question??
You say here, rightly, that rules can't forgive sins, only God can.
You also say that breaking God's rules makes us sinners...again, sure, I agree with that, and so would scripture.

But your sentence above, which I underlined, that says that God has made it that if we break his rules, we can't be saved, doesn't seem to be backed up by scripture.
Not worded well on my part, should have mirrored the scripture.

Should have been; 'God can make a rule that we must keep the commandments to enter eternal life'

Rach:
Am I mistaking what you are saying, or are you truly saying that God has declared it an unforgivable offense to break his commandments? Thanks....
No.
But, then; who's in charge of God's mercy and judgment?

Rach:
Jesus came to deliver us from our sins....the gift of grace is forgiveness from our sins and salvation.
So...I'm wondering how you have decided that God has declared if we break his rules (which we know we do helplessly...if we could keep them, there would have been no need for Christ's sacrifice), that he will not forgive us....when the bible teaches that because we cannot keep his laws, he sent his Son to redeem us?
I apologize for taking this out of order, but that's the only way I can answer without a lot of repetitiveness.

Rach: Jesus came to deliver us from our sins....the gift of grace is forgiveness from our sins and salvation.
"Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;"

When we ask Jesus into our heart, all our past sins are forgiven; but a lot more happens.

Rach: when the bible teaches that because we cannot keep his laws, he sent his Son to redeem us?
But why?

"For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, ... That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

1. God it's light and in Him is no darkness.
2. God can't change.
3. God can't change His commandments, His rules of what is right and wrong.
4. God can't give us permission to sin.
( God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man )
5. Carnal man can't keep the commandments of God.

What's the only thing that can change?

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

Salvation is more than forgiveness of sins, born-again-of-the-Spirit-sons-of-God-new-creatures-in-Christ-Jesus have the POWER to walk in the Spirit.

"Strengthened with all might, according to his glorious power..."

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

But, it's up to us what we do with this great gift; are we going to go back to walking in the flesh, or walk in the Spirit?

It's going to take total commitment on our part, to deny the flesh and walk in the Spirit.

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field."

Where is our treasure?

Rach: ... which we know we do helplessly ...
What do you mean, "we"?

Better take a long look at the final hurdle...

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death."

Note to Self: is that a setup phrase for the typical follow-up question?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
It is true that Jesus told his Jewish audience to keep the commandments, because his audience was still under the Old Covenant.

When Jesus told them to keep the commandments, he wasn't referring to just the ten commandments in the Decalogue.
He was referring to all 600+ commandments in the Tanakh.

In short, salvation by keeping the commandments requires that all 600+ commandments be kept. However, nobody but Jesus was able to keep all 600+ commandments. That is why we need a Savior. That is why Jesus died for us.

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Dodo_David: It is true that Jesus told his Jewish audience to keep the commandments, because his audience was still under the Old Covenant.
The Mosaic Law ended when John's ministry began.

"The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it."

"And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? ... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. ... go and sell that thou hast ... and come and follow me.

So actually, Jesus was talking to someone He called to follow Him.

Dodo_David: When Jesus told them to keep the commandments, he wasn't referring to just the ten commandments in the Decalogue.
He was referring to all 600+ commandments in the Tanakh.

In short, salvation by keeping the commandments requires that all 600+ commandments be kept. However, nobody but Jesus was able to keep all 600+ commandments. That is why we need a Savior. That is why Jesus died for us.
Nope.

"He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Tropical Islander

Dec 20, 2013
Exactly - and true, and Paul also confirms Jesus:

Romans 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

Jesus and Paul are talking to the same audience, and that is everyone that has an ear to hear.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
IBeMe said:
Not worded well on my part, should have mirrored the scripture.

Should have been; 'God can make a rule that we must keep the commandments to enter eternal life'

No.
But, then; who's in charge of God's mercy and judgment?
Well, yes....God "can" do anything...and he has the right to do so. No argument there.

But saying "God can make a rule that we must keep the commandment" and "God has made a rule that we must keep the commandment"....turn out to be fundamentally the same.

If God can....and therefore has, made such a rule, then according to scripture, we are doomed. How many times does the bible tell us that if salvation were up to us....upon our sholders and dependant on how we performed, or followed, or upheld.....there is just no hope.

Now...I know you believe that salvation comes from Christ....initially. But when you say that after that, we are then 'on our own' to make sure we follow the rules and are responsible for our sins....you are then putting us back in a spot that scripture makes clear we are hopeless in....even after our salvation.

Consider what Paul tells us...after his conversion:

as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to righteousness under the law, blameless. But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— (Philippians 3:6-9, ESV)

Paul is telling us that of anyone alive, he came close to perfect to following all the old laws...the ten included. He was as religious as they came....and he tells us it was all rubbish. We know from Christ himself, that 'not murdering' someone....the physical sin....is not what the law is truly talking about. Indeed if we are only angry at someone, we have 'murdered him in our hearts'. While Paul walked the line in physical obediance, we see in his nautre, when he had Phillip stonned to death, that spiritually...emotionally, he had failed to uphold the law.....he was lost...damned. In the passage above he tells us that trying to uphold our righteousness on our own "that comes from the law" is pointless. True righteousness only comes through Christ in faith. Faith is what saves us initially, and faith is what continues to save us.....that is the true gift of grace.

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10:4, ESV)

What shall we say, then? That Gentiles who did not pursue righteousness have attained it, that is, a righteousness that is by faith; but that Israel who pursued a law that would lead to righteousness did not succeed in reaching that law. Why? Because they did not pursue it by faith, but as if it were based on works. (Romans 9:30-32, ESV)

I'm sorry.....I don't have the time at the moment to answer the rest of your post....family dinner!
Will get to it latter if I can....hope you had a good Christmas!

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Rach
If God can....and therefore has, made such a rule, then according to scripture, we are doomed. How many times does the bible tell us that if salvation were up to us....upon our sholders and dependant on how we performed, or followed, or upheld.....there is just no hope.
What do you mean, "if"?

"... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

Salvation is a free gift of God, through faith in Jesus.

But, God didn't make us robots.

"Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

See ... Let not? ... That makes it our responsibility.

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"

Got two choices ... take your pick.

Rach
Paul is telling us that of anyone alive, he came close to perfect to following all the old laws...the ten included. He was as religious as they came....and he tells us it was all rubbish. We know from Christ himself, that 'not murdering' someone....the physical sin....is not what the law is truly talking about. Indeed if we are only angry at someone, we have 'murdered him in our hearts'. While Paul walked the line in physical obediance, we see in his nautre, when he had Phillip stonned to death, that spiritually...emotionally, he had failed to uphold the law.....he was lost...damned. In the passage above he tells us that trying to uphold our righteousness on our own "that comes from the law" is pointless. True righteousness only comes through Christ in faith. Faith is what saves us initially, and faith is what continues to save us.....that is the true gift of grace.
So, Paul couldn't serve God under the Mosaic Law and did some bad stuff before he became a Christian.

Why do you think Christ died?

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Born-again-of-the-Spirit-sons-of-God-new-creatures-in-Christ-Jesus can keep the "righteousness of the law" by "walk" "after the Spirit".

Problem solved!

1. don't walk after flesh
2. do walk after Spirit

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"

See ... "no condemnation" ... Simple ... Eh?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
IBeMe said:
What do you mean, "if"?

"... if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments."

Salvation is a free gift of God, through faith in Jesus.

But, God didn't make us robots.

"Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof."

See ... Let not? ... That makes it our responsibility.

"Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?"

Got two choices ... take your pick.

So, Paul couldn't serve God under the Mosaic Law and did some bad stuff before he became a Christian.

Why do you think Christ died?

"That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."

Born-again-of-the-Spirit-sons-of-God-new-creatures-in-Christ-Jesus can keep the "righteousness of the law" by "walk" "after the Spirit".

Problem solved!

1. don't walk after flesh
2. do walk after Spirit

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"

See ... "no condemnation" ... Simple ... Eh?
Instead of arguing round and round and going nowhere but frustrationville.....lets break your claim down.

For your argument and biblical interpretation to be valid, you need to be walking your talk.

Are you now perfect? Because you are claiming that we must be...only perfect people don't sin...sin being the breaking of the law.

Have you, since your salvation, whenever that was, ever become angry...at all, for any reason? Because if you have, then you have broken a commandment by Jesus' standards.

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:8-10, ESV)

So....for your argument to have any validity, and for me (and others) to even consider your reading of scripture to be accurate, you should clarify this one thing...to begin with. Are you claiming to not sin...ever?

IBeMe

Jun 17, 2013
Rach: If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1 John 1:8-10, ESV)
Think it through, Bro, think it through.

The scripture means the same as this.

"I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

The way you're trying to use that scripture; it'd be a sin not to sin.

Rach: So....for your argument to have any validity, and for me (and others) to even consider your reading of scripture to be accurate, you should clarify this one thing...to begin with. Are you claiming to not sin...ever?
How come I knew that question was coming?

(me: previous post) "Note to Self: is that a setup phrase for the typical follow-up question?"

I'd be happy to answer that, IF you can answer mine.

Give me one good reason why I should sin?

Remember, Jesus didn't die so that we could play around with our lusts and entertain demons.