James 2 No such thing as faith without works

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
The bottom line is: If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 1 John 1:8
What does that mean to you? If the truth is in you, you must admit that you have sin.
The truth is Jesus Christ. How can we have sin in whom is no sin?

Your gospel of a Christ with sin in him, is not that of Jesus Christ.

Your Christ commands you to have sin in you, not my Jesus Christ. He commands us not to have sin nor to sin.

I'll keep my Christ Jesus of the Bible, and you can keep hold of your Christ commanding you to have him and sin in you.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
I think I'm not going to continue with you, as you demonstrate your true state, and your lack of interest in real humility or repentance. I pray God enlighten your eyes! I warn you against dishonest handling of God's Holy Word. God will hold you accountable, regardless of how you portray yourself to others. He knows what is real.

Much love!
Thank you. Of course, I have learned these respites are only temporary. You'll be back. Your defiled conscience demands making people agree with you.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your defiled conscience
Your defiled presumptions, you mean. Negative opinions of others broadcast to any who will read these words, by a fellow of self-professed holiness, of all things!

I have no expectation that you will agree with me. I'm simply shining a light.

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Q.) Why does the blood and death of Jesus, that is our Redemption/Salvation... keep us saved, no matter what ?".

He doesn't. Your gospel of being washed clean and forgiven while sinning, is not Jesus' nor Paul's gospel, nor mine.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
I mean really, your phrases are almost impossible to decipher, regarding much of what you post.

True. Sometimes I type too fast. The Bible doctrine of being born again, is the pure new birth of God after repenting of sinning, with all things now of God, and nothing remaining of the devil.

If you repent from SINNING, and die a Christ Rejector, then you didnt give God the repentance that He requires.
True.

= God requires not that you try to stop sinning, or cry tears of sorrw about it....
True. Esau found no place of repentance, because he did not repent of the sinning, but only of the result.

..What God requires is that you turn from unbelief to FAITH, in Christ.
True. After repenting of sinning. All sinning. And not turning to Mohamed, Buddha, etc...

THAT is the real repentance that God accepts...and no other.
Not of unbelief alone, because faith alone is dead.

The only repentance acceptable to god to come to His Son, is to turn from all dead works of the spirit and the flesh.

ARE YOU still not able to comprehend that simple fact @Ghada
Get over yourself. The only reason you insist on trying to proselytize me to your doctrine, is because your defiled conscience demands everyone agree and join you.

Not happening with me. And I really don't care what you do in your life. That's your business that God will judge you for in the end. My conscience does not depend on people agreeing with me, but only what I do in my heart and life before Jesus.

According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The truth is Jesus Christ. How can we have sin in whom is no sin?
You read the scripture, yet did not understand it. "If we say we have no sin, then the truth is not in us."
So, the Truth is not in you!
You are confounded by the principle that we have three parts: body, soul and spirit. Our spirit has been made alive, in Christ and that part of us is pure. Our body and soul ( the flesh) is still with us. The remnants of our old ways remain until we learn to render them dead and walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
But hey, doesn't look like anyone will convince you that you don't always behave righteously, morally, or that you are not always kind, patient, gentle, loving and joyful as Christ.
Are you just like Christ? Or are you being transformed gradually to be like Him?
I don't want an answer. You ask yourself and keep it to yourself and God.

Last edited:

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Get over yourself. The only reason you insist on trying to proselytize me to your doctrine,

The only reason i even give you my time, is because you came to me, originally, with your theological nonsense.

Now, there is no salvation or eternal life unless we are found in Christ, and He in us.

Being born again, is not by water, and not by works, but "by my Spirit, Sayeth the Lord".

Being born again, is eternal.
Being born again, is God caused, God maintained, and God completed.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
You read the scripture, yet did not understand it. "If we say we have no sin, then the truth is not in us."
So, the Truth is not in you!
Your reading is not true. Your lie taught as truth is not in me. At all.

You are confounded by the principle that we have three parts: body, soul and spirit.
Already corrected this enough.

No sinner having sin in him, is in Jesus Christ, in whom is no sin.

If you are in a Christ, while still having sin in you, then you are in a Christ with sin in him, which is you. Not Jesus Christ nor me.

The remnants of our old ways remain until we learn to render them dead and walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
True. It's called repent ye and be converted and believe Jesus' gospel of walking with Him as He walks.

Until then, it's just self-converted Christian religion of man.

Are you just like Christ?
Yes. I repented of sinning and now am born anew with all things of God, just like Jesus on earth. I am also tempted like He was, but overcome it to sin not, like He did.

You do not believe this gospel from the Bible.

Or are you being transformed gradually to be like Him?
Yes. In His righteousness and true holiness of His pure heart, soul, and life.

As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

No one with unrepented lust of the world is born anew as He, nor like Him, nor being conformed to His image.

Unrepented sinners didn't begin right in Christ Jesus, and so cannot continue right in Christ Jesus.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No sinner having sin in him, is in Jesus Christ, in whom is no sin.

If you are in a Christ, while still having sin in you, then you are in a Christ with sin in him, which is you. Not Jesus Christ nor me.
"No sinner having sin"... You not only twist scripture but contradict your own words.
You claim not to have sin and I guvenyou the scripture "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" 1 John 1:8. So this is a no brainer. You said you have no sin, so we can conclude that the truth is not in you.
Aside from that, back to the OP and my first post:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. Eph. 2:8-9
Works of the Holy Spirit through us obviously follows, but fruit takes time to grow. We still claim we are justified by faith not by works.
"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law” (Rom. 3:28)

The End

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Now, there is no salvation or eternal life unless we are found in Christ, and He in us.
True. Found without sin in Jesus Christ, in whom is no sin.

Sinners are only found in a sinful Christ of their own making.

Being born again, is not by water, and not by works, but "by my Spirit, Sayeth the Lord".
True. It's by repenting from sinning and believing on His gospel.

Being born again, is eternal.
True. So long as we remain repenting of sinning.

Being born again, is God caused, God maintained, and God completed.
Not even the god of this world keeps sinners sinning, without their help.

Your gospel of God repenting of sinning for you, is not the gospel of Jesus Christ.

And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Afterall, it's only fair, since He's not the one that does your sinning. Nor is He the one you are in while doing your sinning. That would only be in the body of the god of this world.

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
"No sinner having sin"... You not only twist scripture but contradict your own words.
All sinners have sin. There is no sin in Christ. Therefore no sinner in Christ Jesus. Ergo: No sinner having sin is in Christ Jesus, in whom is no sin.

It's a use of logic on correct grammatical detail.

You claim not to have sin and I guvenyou the scripture "If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" 1 John 1:8. So this is a no brainer. You said you have no sin, so we can conclude that the truth is not in you.
Your sin is in you. Your truth is not in me.

I can only thank God and Jesus Christ for it.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
Ah, and there in lies the heart of a true Calvinist or predestination embracer who disclaims the rest of God choosing...

"predestination is God’s unchangeable decree from before the creation of the world that he would freely save some people (the elect), foreordaining them to eternal life, while the others (the reprobate) would be “barred from access to” salvation and sentenced to “eternal death

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
Ah, and there in lies the heart of a true Calvinist or predestination embracer who disclaims the rest of God choosing...
Paul was a Calvinist? Or was Calvin a Paulinist?

I'm neither? I'm a Jesus lover.

"predestination is God’s unchangeable decree from before the creation of the world that he would freely save some people (the elect), foreordaining them to eternal life, while the others (the reprobate) would be “barred from access to” salvation and sentenced to “eternal death
If you change decree to choosing, and some people to who those people would be, then you do have Calvinism.

The only person God ever chose to be and do anything in this world, before the world began, was the Word to become His Son in the flesh, and to live righteously without sin unto death of the cross.

The Lamb of God is the only prechosen man by God, to be His Lamb on earth. There are no other men prechosen and identified to be lambs of God on earth.

God foreordained Who would be His Lamb on earth and forever. He thus foreordained how any man is chosen unto Himself on earth: them that hear the call to repent, and do repent to have faith toward God and be conformed to His Lamb's image in all things of soul, spirit, and life:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was a Calvinist? Or was Calvin a Paulinist?

I'm neither? I'm a Jesus lover.

If you change decree to choosing, and some people to who those people would be, then you do have Calvinism.

The only person God ever chose to be and do anything in this world, before the world began, was the Word to become His Son in the flesh, and to live righteously without sin unto death of the cross.

The Lamb of God is the only prechosen man by God, to be His Lamb on earth. There are no other men prechosen and identified to be lambs of God on earth.

God foreordained Who would be His Lamb on earth and forever. He thus foreordained how any man is chosen unto Himself on earth: them that hear the call to repent, and do repent to have faith toward God and be conformed to His Lamb's image in all things of soul, spirit, and life:

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
This...

Theologians & Theology

Christian theologians and their theolog​

John Calvin on Predestination​

Calvin on Predestination​

John Calvin’s doctrine of predestination has often been rejected as unjust. In this series of two articles I will explain why, according to John Calvin, this charge is misplaced. In this article, I will summarize Calvin’s doctrine of predestination. My discussion of Calvin’s view will draw on excerpts from Book III, chapters 21-23, of his Institutes of the Christian Religion (1559) in Hans J. Hillerbrand’s collection The Protestant Reformation (ordinary page references are to this work), and sections 3.24.4 and 3.24.5 of Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion translated by Henry Beveridge (decimal references are to this work, pictured to the right).

Predestination According to Calvin​

According to John Calvin, predestination is God’s unchangeable decree from before the creation of the world that he would freely save some people (the elect), foreordaining them to eternal life, while the others (the reprobate) would be “barred from access to” salvation and sentenced to “eternal death (180, 184).” Calvin was careful to distinguish the predestination of individuals from the corporate election of nations such as Israel (185). He argued that an explanation of predestination is only complete when it includes the election of individuals (187).
Calvin described the basis of predestination in several ways. In general he affirmed that there is no basis for election outside of God. Referring to Eph. 1.9, Calvin noted that God purposed election “in Himself,” basing his decree of predestination on “nothing outside Himself (192).” Calvin attributed the salvation of the elect to God’s free decision to favor them (188). He variously described this as God’s “mere generosity (180, 187),” his “freely given mercy (189, 195, 211),” and the “good pleasure of His will (191; cf. Eph. 1.5).” Moreover, Calvin based the damnation of the reprobate solely in God’s decision (189, 200).
Since God’s reasons for predestination are wholly internal to his being (190), they are opaque to humanity. Ultimately, then, the basis of God’s predestination is mysterious and “utterly incomprehensible” to people (209). This mystery points to one of God’s purposes in predestination, to inspire wonder and reverence in believers (181). The things hidden in God are not to be understood by people, but rather revered in their “wonderful depth (179).” Indeed, for John Calvin the overarching purpose of predestination is for God to be glorified, both in the praise of the elect for his grace (192), and in the terrible yet glorious judgment of the reprobate (199).
Despite the mysterious basis of predestination, it is possible for the elect to be certain of their status as children of God (187). The first and seemingly most important indicator of election is what Calvin referred to as “the calling of God (3.24.4, 189).” His use of this term seems to refer to a subjective inward certainty that God has chosen a person for salvation. Elsewhere, Calvin suggested that having “knowledge of [God’s] name” and reflecting the process of sanctification are both indicators of election (189). Moreover, Calvin claimed that “communion with Christ” is sufficient proof of election (3.24.5): since we are elected in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1.4), we cannot seek the certainty of election “apart from the Son (3.24.5).” Calvin also seemed to obscurely suggest that the daily blessings received from the hand of God might rightly be perceived as an indication of election, “that secret adoption (3.24.4).” Together, these signs—the foremost being “the calling of God,”—yield certainty of salvation and tranquil peace with God (3.24.4).

John Calvin also defined his doctrine of predestination in opposition to differing views held by his contemporaries. First, Calvin took up the view that God predestines people according to his foreknowledge of their works. While Calvin affirmed the foreknowledge of God (184), he denied that God “adopts as sons those whom He foreknows will not be unworthy of His grace,” and damns those he knows will be inclined to “evil intention and ungodliness (190).” From Ephesians 1.4 he argued that one purpose of God’s election was to make his children holy. Since holiness is to be produced by election, it made no sense to Calvin to assert the reverse (191-2). Moreover, the whole point of teaching that election took place before creation (Eph. 1.4) is to demonstrate that election had nothing to do with meritorious works (191). Indeed, for Calvin another important purpose of predestination was to communicate that salvation is not based on individual merit but solely on God’s grace (191).
Second, Calvin took up the view that God elects some but condemns none (200). Calvin saw this view as “highly absurd” since it seemed to imply that the salvation received by the elect could also be attained by the non-elect as a result of “chance” or “their own effort (200).” Rejecting this inconsistent implication, Calvin asserted that the reprobate are those God intentionally neglects to choose (200). From Rom. 9.14ff, Calvin argued that the hardening of non-elect hearts is as much attributable to God as is mercy. Moreover, he noted that Paul did not shy away from this dreadful conclusion, but rather questioned the right of the clay to protest the Potter’s work (Rom. 9.20), and linked condemnation of the reprobate to God’s glory (Rom. 9.22-23). For John Calvin, election could not but stand “over against reprobation (200).”

Ghada

Jul 13, 2023
Damascus
Faith
Christian
Country
Syrian Arab Republic
This...

Theologians & Theology

Christian theologians and their theolog​

John Calvin on Predestination​

Calvin on Predestination​

John Calvin’s doctrine of predestination has often been rejected as unjust. In this series of two articles I will explain why, according to John Calvin, this charge is misplaced. In this article, I will summarize Calvin’s doctrine of predestination. My discussion of Calvin’s view will draw on excerpts from Book III, chapters 21-23, of his Institutes of the Christian Religion (1559) in Hans J. Hillerbrand’s collection The Protestant Reformation (ordinary page references are to this work), and sections 3.24.4 and 3.24.5 of Calvin’s Institutes of the Christian Religion translated by Henry Beveridge (decimal references are to this work, pictured to the right).

Predestination According to Calvin​

According to John Calvin, predestination is God’s unchangeable decree from before the creation of the world that he would freely save some people (the elect), foreordaining them to eternal life, while the others (the reprobate) would be “barred from access to” salvation and sentenced to “eternal death (180, 184).” Calvin was careful to distinguish the predestination of individuals from the corporate election of nations such as Israel (185). He argued that an explanation of predestination is only complete when it includes the election of individuals (187).
Calvin described the basis of predestination in several ways. In general he affirmed that there is no basis for election outside of God. Referring to Eph. 1.9, Calvin noted that God purposed election “in Himself,” basing his decree of predestination on “nothing outside Himself (192).” Calvin attributed the salvation of the elect to God’s free decision to favor them (188). He variously described this as God’s “mere generosity (180, 187),” his “freely given mercy (189, 195, 211),” and the “good pleasure of His will (191; cf. Eph. 1.5).” Moreover, Calvin based the damnation of the reprobate solely in God’s decision (189, 200).
Since God’s reasons for predestination are wholly internal to his being (190), they are opaque to humanity. Ultimately, then, the basis of God’s predestination is mysterious and “utterly incomprehensible” to people (209). This mystery points to one of God’s purposes in predestination, to inspire wonder and reverence in believers (181). The things hidden in God are not to be understood by people, but rather revered in their “wonderful depth (179).” Indeed, for John Calvin the overarching purpose of predestination is for God to be glorified, both in the praise of the elect for his grace (192), and in the terrible yet glorious judgment of the reprobate (199).
Despite the mysterious basis of predestination, it is possible for the elect to be certain of their status as children of God (187). The first and seemingly most important indicator of election is what Calvin referred to as “the calling of God (3.24.4, 189).” His use of this term seems to refer to a subjective inward certainty that God has chosen a person for salvation. Elsewhere, Calvin suggested that having “knowledge of [God’s] name” and reflecting the process of sanctification are both indicators of election (189). Moreover, Calvin claimed that “communion with Christ” is sufficient proof of election (3.24.5): since we are elected in Jesus Christ (Eph. 1.4), we cannot seek the certainty of election “apart from the Son (3.24.5).” Calvin also seemed to obscurely suggest that the daily blessings received from the hand of God might rightly be perceived as an indication of election, “that secret adoption (3.24.4).” Together, these signs—the foremost being “the calling of God,”—yield certainty of salvation and tranquil peace with God (3.24.4).

John Calvin also defined his doctrine of predestination in opposition to differing views held by his contemporaries. First, Calvin took up the view that God predestines people according to his foreknowledge of their works. While Calvin affirmed the foreknowledge of God (184), he denied that God “adopts as sons those whom He foreknows will not be unworthy of His grace,” and damns those he knows will be inclined to “evil intention and ungodliness (190).” From Ephesians 1.4 he argued that one purpose of God’s election was to make his children holy. Since holiness is to be produced by election, it made no sense to Calvin to assert the reverse (191-2). Moreover, the whole point of teaching that election took place before creation (Eph. 1.4) is to demonstrate that election had nothing to do with meritorious works (191). Indeed, for Calvin another important purpose of predestination was to communicate that salvation is not based on individual merit but solely on God’s grace (191).
Second, Calvin took up the view that God elects some but condemns none (200). Calvin saw this view as “highly absurd” since it seemed to imply that the salvation received by the elect could also be attained by the non-elect as a result of “chance” or “their own effort (200).” Rejecting this inconsistent implication, Calvin asserted that the reprobate are those God intentionally neglects to choose (200). From Rom. 9.14ff, Calvin argued that the hardening of non-elect hearts is as much attributable to God as is mercy. Moreover, he noted that Paul did not shy away from this dreadful conclusion, but rather questioned the right of the clay to protest the Potter’s work (Rom. 9.20), and linked condemnation of the reprobate to God’s glory (Rom. 9.22-23). For John Calvin, election could not but stand “over against reprobation (200).”
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if you think I am preaching Calvinism, then from what I've said, you can try and show me.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if you think I am preaching Calvinism, then from what I've said, you can try and show me.
No, I'm sorry... I should have been clearer.

I posted the copy of what I did so folks that are unclear of Calvin beliefs would see them.