Jehoshaphat?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, so does anybody know where the Bible talks about Jehoshaphat doing any jumping?

I can't seem to find anything about this guy jumping.

If I cannot find anything on this... I'm going to have to quit saying "Jumpin Jehoshaphat" clueless.gif

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, so does anybody know where the Bible talks about Jehoshaphat doing any jumping?

I can't seem to find anything about this guy jumping.

If I cannot find anything on this... I'm going to have to quit saying "Jumpin Jehoshaphat"

View attachment 37909
  • From the Christian Science Moniter:
  • By Melissa Mohr Correspondent
September 3, 2020

Where does the expression “jumpin’ Jehoshaphat!” come from? A reader wrote in to ask, and I had a lovely time trying to figure it out. No one is sure how Jehoshaphat’s name ended up in this interjection, or why he’s jumping, but there are several interesting possibilities.
This mild oath first appeared in a novel from 1866, when a cowboy-backwoodsman used it to convey his surprise and admiration at how far a horse (and its beautiful rider) had jumped: “By the jumpin’ Geehosofat, what a gurl she air sure enuf!” It later became a favorite saying of cartoon cowboy Yosemite Sam, the adversary of Bugs Bunny.
Jumpin’ Jehoshaphat! (and just plain Jehoshaphat!) originated in the United States during the 19th-century craze for “minced oaths,” pseudo-swearwords that replaced profane or blasphemous words with inoffensive ones. These not-quite oaths could be quite poetic: They rhymed (holy moly!), used alliteration (jumpin’ Jupiter!), and were fun to say (gee willikers!). Jumpin’ Jehoshaphat follows suit.

Reactions: Lambano

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like God's Word contains no record of Jehoshaphat ever doing any jumping... so I'd better quit saying "Jumpin Jehoshaphat"
smile-grin5.gif