What does the Bible say about psychic intuition?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm new to establishing my faith in Christianity and currently reading the bible cover to cover (I'm very far into to Genesis).
What does the bible say about psychic intuition, I'm aware its against seeking out and visiting psychics, fortune tellers etc but what about if you as an individual have psychic abilities / intuition?
I've had these abilities since I was 4, I have no mental health issues, I get 'information' just drop in all the time and its right every time, its getting stronger with age too, as a child and mostly as a teenager I would see spirits, not as much now at 30 years old though. I can tell certain things about people within a couple of minutes of meeting them, so I'm definitely in tune to something, but I keep this to myself as I know its often made fun of. I also find myself very sensitive to other people's energies and it can wear me out physically real bad if I'm around toxic people.
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit? And I'm more open to hearing him. I never get told anything bad or evil or do bad things by the way so its not a demon or anything, usually warnings if anything.
None of this deters me from praying or not having faith in God to provide me with answers to things, but sometimes the information that drops in is too much, or really too frequent and it can get too much for me at times and obviously I can't block it out.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or got any advice, scripture I can refer to or knowledge on this stuff in Biblical teachings?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new to establishing my faith in Christianity and currently reading the bible cover to cover (I'm very far into to Genesis).
What does the bible say about psychic intuition, I'm aware its against seeking out and visiting psychics, fortune tellers etc but what about if you as an individual have psychic abilities / intuition?
I've had these abilities since I was 4, I have no mental health issues, I get 'information' just drop in all the time and its right every time, its getting stronger with age too, as a child and mostly as a teenager I would see spirits, not as much now at 30 years old though. I can tell certain things about people within a couple of minutes of meeting them, so I'm definitely in tune to something, but I keep this to myself as I know its often made fun of. I also find myself very sensitive to other people's energies and it can wear me out physically real bad if I'm around toxic people.
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit? And I'm more open to hearing him. I never get told anything bad or evil or do bad things by the way so its not a demon or anything, usually warnings if anything.
None of this deters me from praying or not having faith in God to provide me with answers to things, but sometimes the information that drops in is too much, or really too frequent and it can get too much for me at times and obviously I can't block it out.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or got any advice, scripture I can refer to or knowledge on this stuff in Biblical teachings?
I too see spirits. Some people have that spiritual discernment to see spirits. That is a spiritual gift that we see them with our spirits. I believe God lights up the spirit world sometimes to show us things.

God can give us intuition into things. I have had warnings of people before I met them and even shown me what they look like. And Jesus, by the power of his Father could read minds.

There are many gifts of the spirit so I should start there.

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity​

1 Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

But I should also like to warn everyone that discernment of God and Satan is important. There are a few ways we can know God, we know them by their fruits, so what are the fruits of the Spirit of God?:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

There is also a warning from God to try the spirits and not be deceived:

1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would also advise people to follow God and his spirit. If I am given to know something that comes to something good then it is from God. I wouldn't call it psychic as that implies I have power. We as Christians give God the glory for all super natural power.

I'm not sure what power Satan has other than to tempt people.

Reactions: jessicaleks93

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Spiritual world is slippery. I think it's safer to err on the side of caution.
Jesus as knocks on our door and so do the devils.

Intuition is something all people have....call it a gut feeling.....and being conscious of it can serve us well, however, it can be and is exploited and used as a trap in ways I don't quiet understand.

You can be sure of protection when you bring these things to your Saviour. Talk to him about it and ask him about your uncertainties and to direct you.

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I too see spirits. Some people have that spiritual discernment to see spirits. That is a spiritual gift that we see them with our spirits. I believe God lights up the spirit world sometimes to show us things.

God can give us intuition into things. I have had warnings of people before I met them and even shown me what they look like. And Jesus, by the power of his Father could read minds.

There are many gifts of the spirit so I should start there.

Spiritual Gifts: Unity in Diversity​

1 Corinthians 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit.

4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

But I should also like to warn everyone that discernment of God and Satan is important. There are a few ways we can know God, we know them by their fruits, so what are the fruits of the Spirit of God?:

Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.

There is also a warning from God to try the spirits and not be deceived:

1 John 4:1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.

4 You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5 They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
Thank you this has been really helpful for me

Reactions: dev553344

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit?

Apart from living a life of submission to the Lord based on His Word... no, this would not be the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ.

Please keep in mind that the devil imitates ALL good things the Lord does and his best work done for the purposes of deception is to start off making the deception seem to be good and even do some good things with it in the beginning. This is why some think there is such a thing as "good witches" because they seemingly aren't hurting anyone. That's just the start of the deception before it turns dark.

That is to get people hooked, to get them to believe it's of the Lord... later on, the deception starts coming in and for the devil it's all about separating people from the Lord which can easily be done thru false doctrine which is believing things about the Lord that are not true.

God's written Word contains warnings concerning divination and examples of the enemy working divination thru people and God's Apostles (thru the leading of the Holy Spirit) telling us this is not of God but instead is of the devil.

Reading the Bible cover to cover is great! But, for this issue, it's better to study topically concerning divination so you can see what the Lord says about this practice and to understand this is something that is the enemy at work.

The Lord can and does work thru some people to foretell future events but this is something that would be as He leads, in His timing, for His proposes. This would normally be done later as one grows in their faith and becomes mature in the Lord. If a young believer tries to do this, it's an easy target for the enemy to bring in deception and shipwreck the faith of the young believer and the end result is falling away from the Lord.

Some are doing this deceived in believing it's Jesus leading them in it, but instead it's another jesus meaning it's just a demons imitating Jesus using the person to deceive others.

It would be good to place this all on a back burner so to speak and focus first and foremost on growing in your personal relationship with the Lord and getting a firm foundation of the faith growing within you as this is always far more important than any gifts any of us may have.

Another word of caution is... some "christians" will seek to take advantage of you in this if you think it's the Lord using you in this way so until there is time to grow in your personal relationship with the Lord and to learn about what God's Word teaches concerning divination... I'd definitely recommend not to talk to others about this if you start attending a church or start getting Christians friends.

The Lord wants you to be His child first and foremost, walking with Him in agreement, in the peace of His prescience which only happens in agreement with His Word... ministry of any kind never comes before your close, intimate relationship with the Lord

And, the Lord always comes before people! The enemy seeks to use people to deceive other people, so our close personal relationship with the Lord always comes first.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Firstly, pray to God through His Son Jesus Christ about it.

The field of Psychology uses the word 'precognition' for what you are describing. It's a real thing. My mother, who was a devout Protestant Christian, experienced it, but only occasionally. And I think she brought some of it on because she used to worry about us too much. So God would show her things to calm her worry. Mom saw my sister in a winter car accident, in a dream. Sometime a few days later, my sister called her and let mom know about it, said her arm was broken from the accident, a pile-up from a truck up ahead that wrecked in the snow. I told mom to not tell me if she had a precognitive dream about me.

How does the idea of intuition come in, you might wonder? In 1 Kings 19, Elijah heard a "still small voice" and went outside the cave. That is often how intuition works, we feel an inward sense about something, not necessarily literal voices, but inklings, urges from within, etc. For those who believe on Jesus Christ and have been baptized, that can be The Holy Spirit at work, trying to show us something. But be careful, because Satan's spirits are also at work in this world. We are thus commanded to 'test the spirits' to find out if they are of God or not (1 John 4).

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I'm not a prophet but I do watch and have been given insight to do so many times by the Lord.

Prophets have a purpose today, their role in the church is: "But everyone who prophesies speaks unto men to edification, and exhortation and comfort."1 Corinthians 14:3

If I had to describe my understanding of how a prophet operates from what I've gathered about them: it is like they are using augmented reality glasses with a direct feed to what God wants to show them. There is something artistic about it.

Only the more charismatic churches may entertain the possibility of someone being a prophet of God.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And we should remember that whatever someone thinking they have this gift says... is to be judged:

1 Corinthians 14:26-33
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
And we should remember that whatever someone thinking they have this gift says... is to be judged:

1 Corinthians 14:26-33
How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.
But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge.
If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.
And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.
This is for the orderly presentation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, so as not to cause disruption to the service.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Welcome, Jessica, to the family of Christ! One thing I can say to help is to pray when things start to become overwhelming.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It doesn't say anything about psychic intuition.

It prohibits the practice of divination and using familiar spirits, which some would consider related.

So called psychic intuition is what divination is.

It's demons giving people thoughts, feelings, ideas, visions, etc

It's a form of witchcraft.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is for the orderly presentation of the gifts of the Holy Spirit, so as not to cause disruption to the service.

None the less, if someone claims to have a word from the Lord outside of a church service... it needs to be judged by elders to see if it's from God or not. The primary way this is done is comparing what is said to scripture. Jesus said God's Word IS Truth, so this should be our standard

One of the reasons WHY there is some much false doctrine is nobody is standing up to call out unscriptural teachings.

The focus among Christians these days is how we feel and not about what the Lord said and if the things we believe agree with God's Word. It's a sad state of affairs in deed.

Reactions: doctrox

doctrox

Jun 11, 2019
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's demons giving people thoughts, feelings, ideas, visions, etc

It's a form of witchcraft.
Yes, that is the worldly accepted definition of the term. But I don't believe that is what jessicaleks93 is implying here.

jessicaleks93, allow me to reply to your OP within the body of it, using red text.

I've had these abilities [e.g. psychic intuition] since I was 4 Each of us is BORN with these abilities but they have intentionally been bred out of us. We've been taught by the god of this world that nothing exists outside of our five senses. Everything we cannot understand is caused by "demons" or is otherwise lumped into the "demonic" bin. Incessant attacks from the enemy's minions (e.g. media, religion, science, technology and many other forms of mind control) are employed to continually reinforce the lie, I have no mental health issues "Mental health" is yet another of those constructs..., I get 'information' just drop in all the time and its right every time, its getting stronger with age too, as a child and mostly as a teenager I would see spirits, not as much now at 30 years old though. I can tell certain things about people within a couple of minutes of meeting them, so I'm definitely in tune to something Yep, that's how EACH ONE of us is supposed to operate; it's what God had intended for each of us, but we've since made choices, however ignorantly (or intentionally), that have resulted in the muting of those Godly "supernatural" abilities (and their Godly benefits) and the rise of ungodly abilities, but I keep this to myself as I know its often made fun of. Sadly, that ridicule is to be expected from the masses because the ignorant fear what they do not understand (and recall that fear is not some metaphorical allegorical thing - it is an unclean spirit - see 2 Tim. 1:7). I also find myself very sensitive to other people's energies and it can wear me out physically real bad if I'm around toxic people. Exactly; the enemy and his minions "wear out" God's saints - Dan. 7:25.

We have each been born with an "electrical body part." It's been poo-poo'd for so long by the god of this world that we have trouble even discussing it. I'm talking about one's electrical biofield. Others would call it the aura or chakras. It's not all woo-woo and foo-foo; it's real and it's not, of itself, "demonic" or witchcraft. A thing is not demonic; rather, it's all about how one chooses to USE it - IOW, who do you look to, for the authority to do the things you do?

Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit? That depends. This is where the spiritual rubber meets the road. I am involved in a ministry of deliverance, dealing with many unclean spirits and manifestations covering many years - basically, stuff that curls the hair of most folks. This is where discernment necessarily comes into play. And so I would have a myriad of questions to ask you, to ascertain what, if any, doors you may have opened to the spiritual realm (specifically, to "bad" spirits), because God is not the only one who can impart spiritual abilities to you. For example, have you ever been injected ("vaccines" and/or other injectables)? And I'm more open to hearing him. I never get told anything bad or evil or do bad things by the way so its not a demon or anything, usually warnings if anything. The nature of the "message" is not necessarily an indicator that it's not a demon. Satan and his angels do a lot of good in their overall plan of evil.

None of this deters me from praying or not having faith in God to provide me with answers to things, but sometimes the information that drops in is too much, or really too frequent and it can get too much for me at times and obviously I can't block it out. There is a calling placed on your life by the Most High God (maybe even more than one calling). It's your spiritual duty to walk in that calling, to God's glory. So do not be afraid. And do not let your curiosity lead you into the dark arts, as Satan will exploit you for that curiosity. The answer is to REMAIN ON THE ROCK 24/7/365, even with the little things. Example: It's my turn to cook family dinner tonight and I, of course, want to please them. The dilemma: do I cook fresh, or do I cook leftovers? So I SUBMIT IT TO GOD i.e. I pray to the Most High, and then I get the correct answer. Tonight, it will be leftovers.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or got any advice, scripture I can refer to or knowledge on this stuff in Biblical teachings? Be extremely wary of accepting ANY advice you receive here (including from me). It's back to faithfully remaining on the Rock, in ALL things - NO MATTER WHAT.

One of the reasons WHY there is some much false doctrine is nobody is standing up to call out unscriptural teachings.
The focus among Christians these days is how we feel and not about what the Lord said and if the things we believe agree with God's Word. It's a sad state of affairs in deed.
Amen.

Last edited:

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't satan counterfeit the good things that God has? Sp Psychic intuition and divination are a real thing and must be avoided.

But if divination is the spawn of satan then let's ask ourselves if it is a counterfeit and if so a counterfeit of what?

I remember. the Holy Spirit gives revelations to people. The Lord also does much work with Rhemas. I have received rhemas myself and the Lord gave words of knowledge to two different people about me which was true but neither one had a way of knowing what was said. All I know is that it was real and confirmed for me that the message was truely from the Lord.

And apparently, we do not yet know if it is from the Lord or not? Ok so when it happens again you must test the spirit like scripture says to and pray to the Lord immediately and ask the Lord, Lord is that you? Here I am Lord, is that you?

1 John 4:1-3
1 Dear friends, do not believe everyone who claims to speak by the Spirit. You must test them to see if the spirit they have comes from God. For there are many false prophets in the world. 2 This is how we know if they have the Spirit of God: If a person claiming to be a prophet[a] acknowledges that Jesus Christ came in a real body, that person has the Spirit of God. 3 But if someone claims to be a prophet and does not acknowledge the truth about Jesus, that person is not from God. Such a person has the spirit of the Antichrist, which you heard is coming into the world and indeed is already here.../NLT

You can even test Jesus Himself. I've heard a couple people say in Testimony that they tested Jesus! Both times, He showed them His hands and they felt the peace of God come upon them!

I've never seen the Lord that I can remember, but I talk to Him a lot and I have tested spirits at certain times and I never got to see Him, but I was flooded with peace about it and I knew that it was God. Test them! Pray to the Lord about it. Pray about it when it happens. Pray unceasingly! And don't forget to Listen!

Reactions: friend of

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stop what you are reading and start in the New Testament beginning with the book of John. Matthew, Mark, Luke and then John. Start with John.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Divination in the Bronze Age ANE was performed by sacrificing a wild animal and then examining the contents of its stomach. It isn't really based on "intuition."

But I guess if you're the mark that's how you'd look at it.