Jesus stands at the cave entrance and coughs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a Wycliff interpretation of Jesus stands at the door and knocks. The S. American tribe that needed the Bible translated into their own language do not have doors and apparently, robbers make a knocking sound on wood before they enter a homestead (usually a cave) before they enter to rob the home. Visitors cough.

For all those literalists out there - is making the gospel understandable more important than a literal translation?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
This is a Wycliff interpretation of Jesus stands at the door and knocks. The S. American tribe that needed the Bible translated into their own language do not have doors and apparently, robbers make a knocking sound on wood before they enter a homestead (usually a cave) before they enter to rob the home. Visitors cough.

For all those literalists out there - is making the gospel understandable more important than a literal translation?

Maybe there should be 200 versions of the bible in every language! ;)

It is hard to say...but a living bible is prone to change the expressions that were understandable in an ancient time into more modern ones in order to get the meassage across. So yes, as long as one states that it is an adapted translation one can do so without straying too far from the original text.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia

I think that to get the correct meaning, we need to look back to what Jesus was referring to in HIS day, not ours. See, back in his day, thieves in the night didn't come quietly. They came suddenly with lots of noise. Completely different to what we think today.

The Bible shouldn't be changed to make it more 'understandable'. We should be looking into and learning what was being referred to. Even though it doesn't occur anymore today, we can still grasp what is being taught. A literal translation is a must.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm...

Can we really expect a tribe of natives in the rain forest of South American to research the practices of the Middle East, 2000 years ago? They didn't even know that modern humans existed until they were discovered.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Hmm...

Can we really expect a tribe of natives in the rain forest of South American to research the practices of the Middle East, 2000 years ago? They didn't even know that modern humans existed until they were discovered.

No, but I don't think it would be that hard to explain to them the scenario . . . :) I would just explain to them that over where Jesus was, knocking on the door wasn't what a robber did, and that it was sort of like them coughing. I wouldn't actually change the Scripture. You can draw an allegory, but not change the Scripture.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, but I don't think it would be that hard to explain to them the scenario . . . :) I would just explain to them that over where Jesus was, knocking on the door wasn't what a robber did, and that it was sort of like them coughing. I wouldn't actually change the Scripture. You can draw an allegory, but not change the Scripture.

Actually, they tried that first - Jesus ended up looking like a robber and it caused a great deal of confusion,

A camel passing through the eye of a needle is the verse our society does not understand and it has cause us to misunderstand the fate of rich people. I think we could have used a better translation.

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Actually, they tried that first - Jesus ended up looking like a robber and it caused a great deal of confusion,

A camel passing through the eye of a needle is the verse our society does not understand and it has cause us to misunderstand the fate of rich people. I think we could have used a better translation.

Lol. I understand what a camel through the eye of a needle means :). The Holy spirit will guide whoever seeks the truth to truth, no matter the language or obstacles. The only thing that can stop God's love, is ourself.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol. I understand what a camel through the eye of a needle means :). The Holy spirit will guide whoever seeks the truth to truth, no matter the language or obstacles. The only thing that can stop God's love, is ourself.

Well, I appreciate your faith in God - seriously!

But....does that mean that effort towards conversion and understanding comes to a stand still?...doesn't, 'the Spirit will guide whoever seeks the truth', make everything right?

Seems to me that we are called to relate God's love towards each other, despite the pristine condition of the law......

Groundzero

Not Afraid To Stand
Jul 20, 2011
Australia
Well, I appreciate your faith in God - seriously!

But....does that mean that effort towards conversion and understanding comes to a stand still?...doesn't, 'the Spirit will guide whoever seeks the truth', make everything right?

Seems to me that we are called to relate God's love towards each other, despite the pristine condition of the law......

Lol. I've already stated, that in explaining the Scripture, they could say, This is equivalent to you coughing before you enter your friend's house." I have no issues with that. I definitely wouldn't want to take the risk of changing the Holy Scripture. Also, if you keep reading in that verse, it states that Jesus will come and sup with us. I think that even if they couldn't quite get the knocking from an explanation, if they thought about it, a robber WOULDN'T be supping with you. Therefore when Jesus comes knocking, he's not a robber. Even the most primitive man on earth has a God-given brain that allows him to take 2+2 and make 4 :)

I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but I have watched people deep in heresy unable to get out, because they didn't really want the truth. They refused to open their eyes to see the errors in their doctrine. If someone really desires the truth, the Spirit of God will lead them. Cornelius is an excellent example. :)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know for sure, but these people probably never seen a house or a door - it is like describing the color yellow to a blind person or a cow to a child who has only seen a dog.