Jesus talking to the unsaved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because a Christian can become fruitless is no proof he was never really a Christian, never really had faith.

Because one quits smoking, does his quitting prove he never did really smoke? The quitting logically proves he once smoked but now no longer does.

If one were never really fruitful then he cannot become fruitless because he always was fruitless. For one to become fruitless logically implies he once was fruitful but became complacent and thereby becomes fruitless. Becoming fruitless logically proves he was once fruitful but now is no longer fruitful.

Do You gotta work for the salvation or is it about loving God first and loving others? By abiding in Christ. Every day.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...he has no faith. A fake faith. A dead faith that has no power to save.

Your comment here proves faith without works does not save.
A Christian that has no works has a dead faith.
To be supposedly saved by faith alone is to be saved by a dead faith by your definition of true Biblical faith.

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do You gotta work for the salvation or is it about loving God first and loving others? By abiding in Christ. Every day.
What does the scriptures teach what loving God is?
Can I be loving God if I do not obey Him? Just believe what He says but not obey what He says?
John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him and We will come to him and make our home with him.

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.

Reactions: Ernest T. Bass

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Phil 2:12 "So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling"

--Salvation is a free gift that cannot be earned therefore Paul said "work out" not "work for". Though salvation is a free gift, one must meet the conditions God has placed upon His free gift.

--"your own" shows man has a role in his own salvation by obeying God's will.

"Work out your own salvation," Paul demands. Without man's co-operation, even God is helpless. The fact is that any gift or any benefit has to be received. A man may be ill and the doctor able to prescribe the drugs that will cure him; but the man will not be cured until he takes them and he may stubbornly refuse all persuasion to take them. It is so with salvation. The offer of God is there; without it there can be no such thing as salvation. But no man can ever receive salvation unless he answers God's appeal and takes what he offers.

There can be no salvation without God, but what God offers man must take. It is never God who withholds salvation; it is always man who deprives himself of it." Barclay's Daily Study Bible

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does the scriptures teach what loving God is?
Can I be loving God if I do not obey Him? Just believe what He says but not obey what He says?
John 14:23
Jesus answered and said to him, If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him and We will come to him and make our home with him.

John 14:21
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.
Hello Titus,

What does that mean though?

What does the Bible say love is?

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Phil 2:12 "So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling"

--Salvation is a free gift that cannot be earned therefore Paul said "work out" not "work for". Though salvation is a free gift, one must meet the conditions God has placed upon His free gift.

--"your own" shows man has a role in his own salvation by obeying God's will.

"Work out your own salvation," Paul demands. Without man's co-operation, even God is helpless. The fact is that any gift or any benefit has to be received. A man may be ill and the doctor able to prescribe the drugs that will cure him; but the man will not be cured until he takes them and he may stubbornly refuse all persuasion to take them. It is so with salvation. The offer of God is there; without it there can be no such thing as salvation. But no man can ever receive salvation unless he answers God's appeal and takes what he offers.

There can be no salvation without God, but what God offers man must take. It is never God who withholds salvation; it is always man who deprives himself of it." Barclay's Daily Study Bible

Hello Ernest,

You remind me to the two way street of God desiring to reach out to man, and mans choice to reach out to God.

It’s a persons choice to reach out to God or not, God is constantly calling all to him, but some may be hard of hearing and hearts waxed cold, and their eyes closed.

What can be done about this? Sharing love towards other despite it, I suppose. The Gospel of Christ is the power of God unto Salvation.

Thank you for the scripture.

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Last edited:

Titus

Feb 5, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Titus,

What does that mean though?

What does the Bible say love is?

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

The Bible defines love for God as obedience.

John 15:14
You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.

Jesus teaches love for Him is obedience to His commandments.

Jesus taught He loves His Father by obedience,

John 15:10

If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Fathers commandments and abide in His love.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Titus,

You did pose the question so I’ll answer instead for you to see.

• “If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.

If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.

Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way.
It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
  • Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

• Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless.
But love will last forever! Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture!

But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless.

When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child.

But when I grew up, I put away childish things. Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.

All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely.

Three things will last forever—faith, hope, and love—and the greatest of these is love.
‭‭1 Corinthians‬ ‭13:1-13‬ ‭NLT‬‬

This the biblically definition of love.

“One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”

Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?”

The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“Right!” Jesus told him.

“Do this and you will live!” The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?””
‭‭Luke‬ ‭10:25-29‬ ‭NLT‬‬

In Christ,
Matthew Gallagher

Last edited:

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be supposedly saved by faith alone is to be saved by a dead faith by your definition of true Biblical faith.
To avoid confusion and misunderstanding, when speaking of Paul's argument for justification the proper phrase is "righteousness apart from works" (Romans 4:6), not "faith alone" (James 2:24).

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because a Christian can become fruitless is no proof he was never really a Christian, never really had faith.

Because one quits smoking, does his quitting prove he never did really smoke? The quitting logically proves he once smoked but now no longer does.

If one were never really fruitful then he cannot become fruitless because he always was fruitless. For one to become fruitless logically implies he once was fruitful but became complacent and thereby becomes fruitless. Becoming fruitless logically proves he was once fruitful but now is no longer fruitful.
It doesn't matter if the fruitless person never was fruitful or stopped being fruitful, they are lost either way. So I don't see much value in arguing one way or the other for whether a fallen person was really saved to begin with or not.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
It doesn't matter if the fruitless person never was fruitful or stopped being fruitful, they are lost either way. So I don't see much value in arguing one way or the other for whether a fallen person was really saved to begin with or not.
I have found it to be those who push the OSAS agenda to make the claim "never really saved" to try and cover the holes in that doctrine.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a professing Christian man says he loves his wife but constantly beats her half to death, does he really love God or his wife? Is he really abiding in Christ, despite all the physical evidence to the contrary?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a professing Christian man says he loves his wife but constantly beats her half to death, does he really love God or his wife? Is he really abiding in Christ, despite all the physical evidence to the contrary?

Good question, DOAN,

Professing means homologeo.

It means if you profess something it is coming from the heart and the mouth speaks the truth of the contents of the heart. If a person who has anger problems does things like this to his wife, there would be to seem to be a problem with the person in their flesh and being a professing believer the Holy Spirit within the person will condemn (or notify) them in their actions of wrongful doing.

They would have sorrow,guilt, shame. Confessing our sins to God helps us to bear the burdens of our mistakes allowing him to be able to take it from us and hopefully a better result of character is produced putting to death the flesh with Christ on the cross, in the grave and raised again to new life, with Christ.

That is all I can say, sir.

The flesh is something that takes a little while to really maintain no one is able to it on their own, only Christ is able to do it. That is where abiding in Christ comes in.

John 15

Last edited: