Jesus was not a Jew?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Regarding : MARY.

Notice that Paul says....

Galatians 4:4. ..... Paul simply connotes that God's son was "born of a WOMAN, born under the law."

So, why did Paul not name her?

This is why.

1.) Jesus said... "But JESUS replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and MOTHER.”

and notice this reader...

When Jesus was about to Die, He said this..

""""When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, WOMAN, behold thy son"

Christ didn't NAME her...
Neither does Paul.

Now, is "Mary, blessed among women"?

Of course.. she birthed the Messiah.

However....Is she blessed above them,..= is Mary to be worshipped?

A.) NEVER
-
Cult of Mary_.jpg

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Greeting, Brother.

Sorry for my delayed reply.

Thank you for getting back to me.

What was Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām)’s religion?

Judaism.

According to Islam, Yeshua was sent (by the Beloved) to the Children of Israel to confirm the revelation given to the Moses (ʿalayhi as-salām).

Yeshua says to his people:

I have come to confirm the truth of the Torah which preceded me, and to make some things lawful unto you part of that which was forbidden. I have come to you with a sign from your Lord. Be mindful of Allāh, obey me: Allāh is my Lord and your Lord, so serve Him – that is a straight path.’ (Al‘Imran: 50-51).

Shaykh Seyyed Hossein Nasr writes:

‘The language of confirmation echoes the manner in which the Quran is said to confirm earlier revelations. To make lawful unto you part of that which was forbidden is understood to pertain to certain dietary restrictions, but not to fundamental moral injunctions such as those against murder and adultery. What was previously forbidden and is now made lawful was either some of the rules in the Torah or restrictions the Israelites imposed upon themselves in succeeding generations.

‘This latter interpretation, that Jesus did not change any aspect of Moses’ original revelation, is supported by Jesus’ words in 43:63: I have come unto you with wisdom and to make clear to you some of that wherein you differ. Some commentators maintain that what Jesus brought was “gentler” than what Moses brought and constituted an “alleviation”’. (‘The Study Qur’an).

The New Testament suggests (persuasively) that Yeshua did not reject Judaism. On the contrary, he remained dedicated to that Faith throughout his ministry.

The French Catholic theologian, Jean Guitton writes:

‘In his historical humanity, Jesus was a devout Israelite, practicing the law to the full, from circumcision to Pesach, paying the half-shekel for the Temple. Jerusalem, the capital of his nation, was the city he loved: Jesus wept over it. Jesus had spiritually realized the germinal aspiration of his people, which was to raise the God of Israel...’ (‘Great Heresies and Church Councils).

Samuel Ungerleider – Professor of Judaic Studies and Professor of Religious Studies at Brown University – writes of Yeshua that:

‘He regularly worshipped in Jewish communal worship, what we call synagogues. He preached from Jewish text, from the Bible. He celebrated the Jewish festivals. He went on pilgrimage to the Jewish Temple in Jerusalem where he was under the authority of priests....’ (Quoted in the website ‘Frontline – From Jesus to Christ’)

William Goodwin – Aurelio Professor of the Appreciation of Scripture, at Boston University – writes:

‘What astonishes me when I read the stories about Jesus in the New Testament, is how completely embedded he is in this first century... Jewish world of religious practice and piety.

‘(…) He is presented as going up to Jerusalem for the pilgrimage holidays, specifically in John, for any number of pilgrimage holidays, and in the synoptic gospels, most importantly, for Passover. Jerusalem at Passover is not the sort of place you'd want to be in unless you were really committed to doing an awful lot of ritual activity with tremendous historical resonance....

‘What we've learned from the gospel stories is not that Jesus was not Jewish. Quite the opposite. He's completely embedded in the Judaism of his time…….’ (Ibid.)

Blessings.

I‘m delighted that we‘re able to agree that the religion of Jesus is Judaism. I’ve met some Christians and Muslims who have held the position that his religion isn’t Judaism. How do you account for that?

Here’s an example from an Islamic source:

”Muslims believe that Jesus, like all other prophets and Messengers, was a Muslim.”

(Islam For Christians, “Was Jesus a Muslim?”)

Reactions: Niblo

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hello Matthias, and how are you all?

We are well. I hope you are as well.

Interesting question, We believe in order to answer your question one must search for the answer, but have you, looked at these views along with others?

Thanks. Yes. I’ve looked at other views, including the sources you kindly provided.

Jesus was not a Jew?​

Who Is Jesus Christ? – Part 3

Was Yeshua Really The Son Of David And The Genealogy Of Jesus Christ

One of the most central tenets of Christianity is that Jesus was the prophesied Christ, the Messiah.

Time and again, Jesus referenced His fulfilling that role—sometimes subtly, sometimes overtly. If it can be proven He was not whom He claimed He was, then Christianity would collapse. If He was not the Christ—the prophesied coming King of an eternal kingdom—then why should anyone believe His words? He would be an imposter, and thus should be rejected.

Can it be verified that Jesus fulfilled the numerous Old Testament prophecies concerning the Christ? If so, why did the Jews of the first century reject Him?

To be continued

Love, Walter And Debbie

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Regarding : MARY.

Notice that Paul says....

Galatians 4:4. ..... Paul simply connotes that God's son was "born of a WOMAN, born under the law."

So, why did Paul not name her?

This is why.

1.) Jesus said... "But JESUS replied to the man who told him, “Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?” And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and MOTHER.”

and notice this reader...

When Jesus was about to Die, He said this..

""""When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, WOMAN, behold thy son"

Christ didn't NAME her...
Neither does Paul.

Now, is "Mary, blessed among women"?

Of course.. she birthed the Messiah.

However....Is she blessed above them,..= is Mary to be worshipped?

A.) NEVER
-
View attachment 39522

Mary is a Jew. Like Jesus, her religion is Judaism.

Niblo

Jul 16, 2021
Leeds
Faith
Muslim
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for getting back to me.

I‘m delighted that we‘re able to agree that the religion of Jesus is Judaism. I’ve met some Christians and Muslims who have held the position that his religion isn’t Judaism. How do you account for that?

Here’s an example from an Islamic source:

”Muslims believe that Jesus, like all other prophets and Messengers, was a Muslim.”

(Islam For Christians, “Was Jesus a Muslim?”)

Greetings, Brother.

How do I account for the position held by Christians and Muslims who hold that Yeshua’s religion isn’t Judaism?

Want of knowledge.

For both Christians and Muslims today, the word ‘Muslim’ is taken as a reference to those who follow Muhammad (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam). In the Qur’an, however, its usage refers to the submission of a believer to the Will of the Beloved; to that submission rightly regarded as inherent in true faith.

The disciples of Yeshua (ʿalayhi as-salām) declare:

‘We are helpers of Allāh! We believe! Bear witness that we are submitters’ (mus'limūna)’ (Al‘Imran: 52).

I have no doubt that you will agree with this:

‘Who speaks better than someone who calls people to Allāh, does what is right, and says, ‘I am one of those who submit to Allāh’ (l-mus'limīna)?’ (Fussilat: 33).

Without doubt, Yeshua was one such person – one whose submission was absolute. He was not a 'Muslim' (in the sense that I am); but he was, most certainly, a ‘muslim’.

Blessings.

Reactions: Matthias