Jesus was not a Jew?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I believe that Jesus was a Jew. There are members of the Board who believe that Jesus was not a Jew.

I invite those who don’t believe Jesus was a Jew to put forth their case for us to examine in this thread.

Reactions: Instant and GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that Jesus was a Jew. There are members of the Board who believe that Jesus was not a Jew.

I invite those who don’t believe Jesus was a Jew to put forth their case for us to examine in this thread.
I don't believe Jesus was a jew as the Bible makes a really strong case that He was not, but I have to jump off this ride for a bit. I'll be back to make a few cases and I fully expect the majority of the forum to pile on top of me.

What's new.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't believe Jesus was a jew as the Bible makes a really strong case that He was not, but I have to jump off this ride for a bit. I'll be back to make a few cases and I fully expect the majority of the forum to pile on top of me.

What's new.

You aren’t the only member of Christianity Board who doesn’t believe Jesus was a Jew. This thread was started in response to a brief conversation I had with you in another thread this morning but they are welcome and cordially invited to make their case here too. I hope they have and will demonstrate the courage of their conviction and not abandon you to go it alone.

Reactions: GEN2REV

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You aren’t the only member of Christianity Board who doesn’t believe Jesus was a Jew. This thread was started in response to a brief conversation I had with you in another thread this morning but they are welcome and cordially invited to make their case here too. I hope they have and will demonstrate the courage of their conviction and not abandon you to go it alone.
Wow. Kudos.

I hope so too.

Rather than a long TLDR post to lay out my argument, I will, for now, post a video that is quite thorough yet succinct.

Those who are serious about it will watch it and compare each and every point made to the Scriptures that are provided to make each point. Those who only wish to bash me, or this argument in general, will not watch it and that's perfectly fine.

Feel free to discuss any points made in the video. I have found them all to be accurate with Scripture.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Wow. Kudos.

I hope so too.

Rather than a long TLDR post to lay out my argument, I will, for now, post a video that is quite thorough yet succinct.

Those who are serious about it will watch it and compare each and every point made to the Scriptures that are provided to make each point. Those who only wish to bash me, or this argument in general, will not watch it and that's perfectly fine.

Feel free to discuss any points made in the video. I have found them all to be accurate with Scripture.

Thank you. I’ll watch it.

Do you have any background information on the speaker? I’m not familiar with him.

P.S.

Never mind. I was able to locate some background information on him.

I watched the video. I’m not at all persuaded by his presentation. Maybe others will be. I’ll be interested to see what others think about it before saying anything further concerning his argument.

I posted a video taking the opposite point of view several months ago. It had nothing whatsoever to do with the topic which by Board policy cannot be discussed. It was allowed to stay up for a long time. Unfortunately, some members couldn’t resist talking about that which cannot be discussed in the thread, thus violating Board policy. At the demand of a trinitarian member of the Board, the entire thread was deleted by a moderator.

The video you posted doesn’t discuss that which is forbidden to be discussed. I hope the thread is allowed to remain. I have my doubts that it will.

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What's new.
Where does the Bible make that strong case Jesus was not a Jew?

Reactions: mailmandan

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had to be. Otherwise none of the Old testament history would matter. Originally from heaven, born into a body of flesh under the Law of Moses which was given to Gods chosen Nation who were of the tweleve tribes, known as Jews.

People can choose to follow what people may say; but sometimes people can be wrong; therefore one must search our for truth.

If you say he wasnt a jew okay then; its gonna be about do you have faith God rose Jesus up again and do you believe you are to believe on the one whom sent him and to love as Jesus gave command?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Had to be. Otherwise none of the Old testament history would matter.

I’ll come back to this later. I don’t want to poison the well. Those who deny that Jesus was a Jew deserve an opportunity to present their case for consideration free of being discredited before they present it.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does the Bible make that strong case Jesus was not a Jew?
The video is loaded with Scriptural references.

The gospels alone show many instances of Jesus making it very obvious that He was not in any way one of the pharisees, sadducees or scribes. All of which He referred to as hypocritical teachers of the Law who followed the "traditions of the elders", the traditions of men - which was Babylonian talmudism.

That is pharisaism and it is what today's judaism stemmed from.

Look at Matthew chapter 23 alone.

Check out the video.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The gospels alone show many instances of Jesus making it very obvious that He was not in any way one of the pharisees, sadducees or scribes. All of which He referred to as hypocritical teachers of the Law who followed the "traditions of the elders", the traditions of men - which was Babylonian talmudism.

Is it your belief that all Jews in the 1st century fit into one of those three sects?

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it your belief that all Jews in the 1st century fit into one of those three sects?
Well there's a multiple-part answer to that. This is where we get into terminology.

The term jew didn't come about until much, much later. Most Bibles for as many as 1500 years used the term Yehudi or some similar derivation to refer to Judeans.

Judeans are not jews.

If there's any controversy there, it is easy to then look at their religion. Judeans obeyed the Laws of God, jews at that time were the pharisees, sadducees and scribes and were babylonian by religion. They claimed to be of Abraham, and might've been technically related to him, but Jesus made it clear that they were not of him in spirit. They did not worship the God of the Bible nor obey the 10 Commandments. They taught them to the people, but did not obey them at all themselves. Matt. 23:1-3

Do you have any Biblical evidence that would make the case that jews of the 1st century were not of those sects?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well there's a multiple-part answer to that. This is where we get into terminology.

The term jew didn't come about until much, much later. Most Bibles for as many as 1500 years used the term Yehudi or some similar derivation to refer to Judeans.

Much later than the first century?

Judeans are not jews.

If there's any controversy there, it is easy to then look at their religion. Judeans obeyed the Laws of God, jews at that time were the pharisees, sadducees and scribes and were babylonian by religion. They claimed to be of Abraham, and might've been technically related to him, but Jesus made it clear that they were not of him in spirit. They did not worship the God of the Bible nor obey the 10 Commandments. They taught them to the people, but did not obey them at all themselves. Matt. 23:1-3

Jesus was speaking about Jews who rejected him as the promised Messiah. Not all Jews did. Some Jews believed he is the promised Messiah.

Do you have any Biblical evidence that would make the case that jews of the 1st century were not of those sects?

There were many other Jewish sects besides the three you named operating in the 1st century. Right?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The meat of my knowledge is from the Bible.

Surely you know about the Essene sect and the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Is there any other sects of them discussed in the Bible?

The average Jew in the first century wasn’t a Sadducee, a Pharisee or a scribe. The Bible speaks about the Jews in the Diaspora - the Hellenized Jews. The Bible speaks about the sect headed by John the Baptist. He wasn’t a Sadducee, a Pharisee or a scribe. I’m sure you’ve heard of the sect of the Zealots.

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Check out the video.
If it isn't in the Bible, as you admit, the video is meaningless propaganda.

Reactions: mailmandan

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“... the vast majority of Jews did not belong to a party …”

Reactions: Johann

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What's new.
Jhn 1:11 - He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Instant

Sep 17, 2020
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mary, his mother was Jewish, but God was His true Father. His earthly father was Joseph, and he was Jewish. I am not sure how anyone can argue about this if they believe the Bible.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Check out the video.
Rom 11:17 - And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,

We are only grafted in. the Jews are the true branches. Keep reading from this verse

Instant

Sep 17, 2020
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:17 - And if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive tree, were grafted in among them, and with them became a partaker of the root and fatness of the olive tree,

We are only grafted in. the Jews are the true branches. Keep reading from this verse
Right. According to Romans, true Christians are either natural Jews or Jews by adoption, but we are all made Jews.

Reactions: RLT63