Jesus's "siblings".

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Has anyone considered the possibility that those brothers and sisters were children of Joseph from a previous marriage, Joseph being a widower when he married Mary?
How about some of the children was from a previous marriage and some was half siblings

doesn't really say.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When did you start believing in catholic doctrine?

Because of that, you have to twist the Koine Greek words to fit in your English belief of perpetual virginity.

Which Koine Greek words do you accuse me of twisting?

How about some of the children was from a previous marriage and some was half siblings

Not possible, because in my Were they Jesus's siblings? thread, I've shown Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of Joseph's brother, Alphaeus, and his wife Mary of Alphaeus (Clopas/Cleophas, and thus were His cousins.

Reactions: Illuminator

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which Koine Greek words do you accuse me of twisting?

Not possible, because in my Were they Jesus's siblings? thread, I've shown Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of Joseph's brother, Alphaeus, and his wife Mary of Alphaeus (Clopas/Cleophas, and thus were His cousins.

You've shown your theory by twisting

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus's "siblings".

Yes Jesus had Legal siblings. (Four named brothers and at least two unnamed sisters.)

Yes Jesus Legal parents Joseph and Mary had Legal children. (Five named sons and at least two unnamed daughters.)

Yes Several times Jesus’ legal mother, Mary was (standing outside of where Jesus was speaking) and Jesus’ siblings (whom did not Believe Jesus was the Christ), with Mary.

The whole wondering of Mary, the Legal mother of Jesus’ “multiple times” mentioned with Jesus’ “brothers”, BEING a routine ongoing challenge… stems from a Fallacy…of Gentile men…teaching and preaching…the non-Scriptural verifiable fallacy;
That Mary was a perpetual virgin…

It is to Assume Mary;
* Rejected Gods command for a wife to submit to her husband.
* That Mary and her husband never consummated their marriage, effecting…
* That Mary and her husband never Became ONE.
* Mary’s cousin Elisabeth was a Levite, a Priestly Line, out of Arrons linage. And Mary wasn’t ?
* Joseph was of the House of David, a Kingship linage.
* Spiritually Jesus IS BOTH…High Priest and King.
* Legally according to mans Law…Jesus IS BOTH….High Priest Levite linage Legally via Mary and King House of David linage Legally via Joseph.

* Both: Joseph and Mary were Chosen to be servants unto Lord for a particular task.
* Each; Joseph and Mary Agreed to accomplish the task given them, and accomplish-ED as they agreed.

Numerous times Scripture reveals particular persons, identified by Name, particular tasks they were call to do in service unto God, and they agreed, and accomplish-ED their tasks.

Nothing whatsoever implies or states Mary and Joesph were forbidden or were denied to lay together as husband and wife, or reproduce offspring AFTER they had accomplish-ED their task, their service unto God….with TWO Lawful EXCEPTIONS…
* wait Seven days After the birth of a son.
* refrain from laying together during the wife’s menstruation.

Yes according to the LAW, after a woman would bring forth from her womb, a “son”, an exact waiting period of time must come to pass, BEFORE the husband and wife could lawfully lay together.

Nothing whatsoever scripturally implies or states Mary took upon herself or was given charge to repeatedly care for her nephews and nieces.

Not once did ANY Apostles teach or preach Mary’s perpetual virginity.
God had a mother.
Pray to dead people.
Pray to living people.
Bow down to statues.

Unraveling the Fallacy teaching and preaching of Gentile men, is not a mystery.
Open Bible, IF Scripture does not verify such mens teaching and preaching, reject it.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: rwb

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus had Legal siblings. (Four named brothers...

In Matthew 13:55/Mk. 6:3, Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't called "siblings," but rather "brothers," or "ἀδελφοί" in Koine Greek, and it has multiple definitions, one definition being a "near kinsman, or relative," and a kinsman or relative can be a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. What makes Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) Jesus's cousins is the evidence I provided in my thread Were they Jesus's siblings? that proves they were the sons of Jesus's mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have no biblical authority to back up your assumption for perpetual virginity of Mary.

As I noted in the opening post, my proving Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His cousins in itself doesn't prove Mary is a perpetual Virgin, though there's reasons that show She is, which is why I've never assumed that about Her.

Since Joseph did not have sexual intercourse with Mary before Christ was born, proving a virgin gave birth, how do you prove it does not also mean after Jesus's birth he did?

I never said Matt. 1:25 states Joseph didn't have sexual intercourse post-birth of the Savior, because it doesn't, nor does it state that he did.

You're simply guessing about the authors intent based on bringing your preconceived opinions into the passage.

I'm not guessing, rather considering the context of Matt. 1:20-24, where Matthew speaks about the ways in which the long-awaited messianic prophecy has come to fruition, such as Joseph accepting as his spouse the virgin who conceived the Savior of mankind by the Holy Spirit. In Matt. 1:25, he reiterates and reinforces that the Savior was truly begotten by the Holy Spirit, and born of the virgin Mary, by referring to a specific period where Joseph didn't have sexual intercourse with Mary that would dispel any belief the Savior was conceived by him and not the Holy Spirit, nor born of a virgin: pre-birth of the Savior.

How would Matthew implying Joseph had sexual intercourse with Mary post-birth dispel any belief the Savior was conceived by him and not the Holy Spirit, nor born of a virgin, when that's the point of verse 1:25?

P.S. I'm finished with this discussion with you! It's proving to be an exercise in futility!

As soon as I ask you to show how your interpretation of Matt. 1:25 fits with the context of its preceding verses Matt. 1:20-24, you bow out because this discussion is "futile". Why? because you don't like that I make you have to actually defend your position? You lack conviction in your own position.

As for me, I don't care how "futile" discussing this topic may be with whomever, for the simple reason that my position is True, and I've shown it to be so, and I'll never turn down an opportunity to defend that Truth. That's having conviction in a position, and although I may say you're wrong in yours, it's that you believe you're right, so it's foreign to me to see you and others defend your position so hard, yet so lazily at the same time.

Furthermore, whether you agree or not with me about Matt. 1:25, it still doesn't prove Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's siblings. In an effort to see you try and support your claim that they were, I challenged you to answer the questions under each section of verses in the opening post, and you refused.

Also, three times I had to ask you this simple question: do you believe the James in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and the James in Gal. 1:19 were the same person? because you ignored it each time. Apparently, it's a problem for you to answer, but not for me, I can and have answered it many times.

Last edited: