Jesus's "siblings"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Sigma When one posts such long stretches of text it is very difficult to get to the heart of the subject matter. I confess I haven't read all your post as I have difficulty reading long stretches of prose online. But if your point wasn't what @Cassandra said, then please, in as few words as possible, explain it to us.
Same thing is here. Jesus's "siblings".

And while it may not prove Mary was a virgin in and of itself, that is where is is headed.

Reactions: Pearl

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Sigma When one posts such long stretches of text it is very difficult to get to the heart of the subject matter. I confess I haven't read all your post as I have difficulty reading long stretches of prose online. But if your point wasn't what @Cassandra said, then please, in as few words as possible, explain it to us.
+1

I found an interesting point in paragraph 2... skimmed the references in the 1st post... and didn't touch the other 2 posts.

The world today doesn't have the attention span for this kind of writing. We might be poorer for it, but effective communication must be concise.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe Jesus's "half-siblings" were Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and His unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4?

There is no mention of half-siblings in scripture.

You invented the premise.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you were able to read all of my post, you would've seen I laid out my position clearly throughout, and that even the final paragraph of my opening post summarizes my position, which is that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were not His half-siblings, but rather His cousins.

I believe Jesus had a brother called James and also one called John...

So, you do believe that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And while it may not prove Mary was a virgin in and of itself, that is where is is headed.

It's precisely because what I'm refuting in this thread doesn't in and of itself prove the Blessed Virgin Mary's perpetual virginity that that is why the latter is not where this thread is headed, at least not by my doing.

The arguments Sigma makes about the word being kinsman or relative does not remove it being brother also, IMO.

Some believe that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His half-siblings. However, they're not called "siblings," nor "half-siblings," but rather His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). This Koine Greek words has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc.

The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 shows the definition "kinsman/kinswoman, or relative" applies, e.g., sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, or aunt, etc., and information needed to determine the type of family members that apply here is lacking in those same verses.

You assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but you haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives you the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence that shows they were His cousins.

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no mention of half-siblings in scripture.

You invented the premise.

I didn't invent that some believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings. Again, do you also believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue here is that you're trying to put a difference between "half-brothers" and "cousins," while the culture at the time made no such distinction.

The term "brethren" includes full brothers, half-brothers, step-brothers, cousins, double cousins, anyone adopted by your parents or uncles... basically anyone who is related who is in the same generation is part of your "brethren."

Why do you want to make a distinction that the Bible does not?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you were able to read all of my post, you would've seen I laid out my position clearly throughout, and that even the final paragraph of my opening post summarizes my position, which is that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were not His half-siblings, but rather His cousins.

So, you do believe that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?
Only half siblings inasmuch as like Jesus all the others were Mary's naturally born children fathered by her husband Joseph, whilst Jesus' father was God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you were able to read all of my post
Your posts were miles too long. I make a point of not reading right through such long ponderous posts. They can be boring.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The issue here is that you're trying to put a difference between "half-brothers" and "cousins," while the culture at the time made no such distinction.

The term "brethren" includes full brothers, half-brothers, step-brothers, cousins, double cousins, anyone adopted by your parents or uncles... basically anyone who is related who is in the same generation is part of your "brethren."

Why do you want to make a distinction that the Bible does not?

Again, some believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His half-siblings. However, they're not called "siblings," nor "half-siblings," but rather His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). This Koine Greek word has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc.

The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 shows the definition "kinsman, or relative" applies, but one's kinsman/relative could be a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc., and information needed to determine the type of family members that apply here is lacking in those same verses.

There are those who assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but they haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives them the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence that shows they were His cousins.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't invent that some believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings. Again, do you also believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?

Sure you did. Well maybe you didn't "invent" the idea-- that would be rather bold, but certainly you conjured up the idea from folks who insist this must be.

Go ahead. Provide the chapter and verse that state these were his 'half-siblings.'

It's only by insistence that the idea exists. Scripture doesn't state it. Reality doesn't require it.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only half siblings inasmuch as like Jesus all the others were Mary's naturally born children fathered by her husband Joseph, whilst Jesus' father was God.

So, you believe that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings. However, they're not called "siblings," nor "half-siblings," but rather His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). This Koine Greek word has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc.

The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 shows the definition "kinsman, or relative" applies, but one's kinsman/relative could be a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc., and information needed to determine the type of family members that apply here is lacking in those same verses.

You assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but you haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives you the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence that shows they were His cousins.

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure you did. Well maybe you didn't "invent" the idea-- that would be rather bold, but certainly you conjured up the idea from folks who insist this must be.

Go ahead. Provide the chapter and verse that state these were his 'half-siblings.'

It's only by insistence that the idea exists. Scripture doesn't state it. Reality doesn't require it.

Again, I never said Scripture states that Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings, but rather states they were His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). This Koine Greek word has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc.

There are those who assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives them the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence that shows they were His cousins.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, you believe that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings. However, they're not called "siblings," nor "half-siblings," but rather His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers) and "αδελφαι" (adelphai;sisters). These Koine Greek words have the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman/kinswoman, or relative," etc.

The context of Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 shows the definition "kinsman/kinswoman, or relative," e.g., sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, or aunt, etc., and information needed to determine the type of family members that apply here is lacking in those same verses.

You assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but you haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives you the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence to show they were His cousins.
You're too clever for me. All that means absolutely nothing I can understand. Jesus had brothers and sisters - siblings in other words - all born of the same mother who was Mary. The father of these brothers and sisters of Jesus was Joseph, Marys lawful husband. They had sex and produced children. I do not understand the point you are making and I don't think anybody else does either. What's with all the list of names? Whatever they were called makes absolutely no difference to the Gospel or the saving grace of God. To you it seems important but I'm sorry but it isn't important to me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There are those who assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives them the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence to show they were His cousins.
Maybe they were his cousins as I'm sure he had some cousins but why are you spending so much time on something that is of little importance?

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, I never said Scripture states that Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings, but rather states they were His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). This Koine Greek word has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc.

There are those who assume Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's half-siblings, but haven't provided evidence to support that (post #3 gives them the opportunity to do so), whereas I actually provided evidence to show they were His cousins.

You provide conjecture, that contradicts what scripture says.

But hang on. Help is on the way. I'm going to try to help you over your mental obstacle.

James to the rescue!

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had brothers and sisters - siblings in other words - all born of the same mother who was Mary.

Nowhere in Matt. 13:55/Mk.6:3, or anywhere else in Scripture, are Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) called the sons of Joseph and Mary, nor are they called Jesus's "siblings," or "half-siblings," but rather His "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi;brothers). One of the definitions for this Koine Greek word is "kinsman, or relative," and one's kinsman could be a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc.

Why are you assuming and claiming as fact that Jesus's kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His half-siblings when that isn't what they're called in Scripture, and you haven't presented any evidence to show that they were His half-siblings?

Maybe they were his cousins as I'm sure he had some cousins...

I've shown that Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's cousins.

...but why are you spending so much time on something that is of little importance?

I'm spending so much time on refuting what's false with the truth. Since when is that of little importance?

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You provide conjecture...

I've provided actual evidence, scriptural verses and testimonies that corroborate each other, whereas those who state Jesus's had half-siblings have provided zilch, nor attempted to answer the questions in post #3 like I did that give them the opportunity to defend their position.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Why are you assuming and claiming as fact that Jesus's kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His half-siblings
I'm not claiming any such thing. I only know that Jesus had a brother called James and one called John. As for the others . . . . ?