Jesus's "siblings"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part I

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) are called Jesus's "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi). This Koine Greek word has the following textbook definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," etc. The context in these verses shows that the definition "kinsman, or relative" applies, and it can refer to a range of different types of family members, e.g., siblings, cousins, nephews, or uncles, etc.

Some believe those four brothers (kinsmen/relatives) of Jesus were the sons of Joseph and Mary, and thus His siblings.
I disagree, and in this post I will show the type of family members of Jesus they actually were.
This will be accomplished primarily by identifying James.

Firstly, not only in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, but in Gal. 1:19, is there a "James" called Jesus's brother in a familial sense. In the latter, Paul indicates that James is an apostle as well. If you agree that these James's were the same person, consider the following apostle -James and his known siblings, the scriptural verses, and early Christian testimonials:

James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and Joseph of Alphaeus
(Matt. 10:3, Mk. 3:18, Mk. 15:40, Lk. 6:15-16, Ac. 1:13)

"are not His brothers James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?" (Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3)
"apostles James the son of Alpheus ... Jude the brother of James (Lk. 6:15-16)
"his (Jesus's) mother's sister, Mary of Cleophas (Clopas)" (Jn. 19:25)
"Mary, mother of James" (Mk. 16:1)
"Mary of James" (Lk. 24:10)
"Mary, mother of James and Joseph" (Matt. 27:56)
"Mary, mother of James the Less and Joseph" (Mk. 15:40)

I. "Mary the wife of Cleophas or Alphaeus (Clopas), who was the mother of James the bishop and apostle, and of Simon and Thaddeus (Jude/Judas), and of one Joseph." (Papias of Hierapolis [c. 60–130 AD], Fragments of Papias, Frag. 10, cf. Jn. 19:25)

II. "...James, who is called the brother of the Lord ... as appears to me, the son of Mary sister of the mother of our Lord ... after ordained by the apostles bishop of Jerusalem, wrote a single epistle, which is reckoned among the seven Catholic epistles" (cf. Jud. 1:1) and "...Mary who is described as the mother of James the Less was the wife of Alphaeus and sister of Mary the Lord's mother" (Jerome of Stridon [c. 347–420 CE], De Viris Illustribus, De Perpetua Uirginitate Beatae Mariae, cf. Jn. 19:25)

III. Eusebius of Caesarea [c. 260–340 AD] relates the following in his Historia Ecclesiastica:

"James, the brother of the Lord, was "...the author of the first of the so-called catholic epistles" and that while it is disputed, "as is the case likewise with the epistle that bears the name of Jude, which is also one of the seven so-called catholic epistles," it is known they have been "...read publicly in very many churches." (Bk. I, ch. 23, cf. Jud. 1:1)

"James ... surnamed the Just ... bishop of the church of Jerusalem. This James was called the brother of the Lord..." and "Paul also makes mention of the same James the Just, where he writes, 'Other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.'" (Bk. II, ch. 1)

"...those of the apostles and disciples of the Lord ... with those that were related to the Lord according to the flesh ... pronounced Symeon (Simon), the son of Clopas ... to be worthy of the episcopal throne of that parish. He was a cousin, as they say, of the Saviour. For Hegesippus records that Clopas was a brother of Joseph." (Bk. III, ch. 11)

"Josephus, at least, has not hesitated to testify this in his writings, where he says, 'These things happened to the Jews to avenge James the Just, who was a brother of Jesus, that is called the Christ.'" (Bk. II, ch. 23)

"...the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James" (Flavius Josephus [c. 37-100 CE], Antiquitates Iudaicae, Bk. XX, ch. 9)

"...James the Just bishop of Jerusalem" and "...but there were two Jameses: one called the Just ... thrown from the pinnacle of the temple ... and beaten to death with a club by a fuller, and another who was beheaded." (Bk. II, ch. 1) (Clement of Alexandria [c. 150–215 AD], Hypotyposes, Bk. VII, cf. Ac. 12:1-2)

"...James the brother of the Lord, succeeded to the government of the Church ... called the Just ..." (Bk. II, ch. 23) and "after James the Just had suffered martyrdom ... Symeon (Simon), the son of the Lord's uncle, Clopas, was appointed the next bishop ... because he was a cousin of the Lord." (Bk. III, ch. 22) (Hegesippus [c. 110-180 AD], Hypomnemata)

Summary

The scriptural verses and crossover agreement between all my sources, even if not every surname is listed by each individual source, collectively show that (i) James and Judas of the four in Matt. 13:55/Mk.6:3 were the apostles James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus (Matt. 10:3, Mk. 3:18, Lk. 6:15-16, Ac. 1:13), the brother of Jesus's mother's spouse, and his wife Mary of Cleophas (Clopas/Alphaeus), the sister (in-law) of Mary of Joseph, and thus the four were Jesus's cousins, and (ii) this James was the same person as "James the Less" (Mk. 15:40), "James the brother of the Lord" (Gal. 1:19), "James the Just," "James the bishop of Jerusalem" (Ac. 15:13-21), and "James the author of the Epistle of James" (Jas. 1). The other "James" was the apostle James of Zebedee, or "James the Great," brother of the apostle John of Zebedee.​

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part II

I.
"Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is His mother not called Mary, and His brothers, James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas? And His sisters, are they not all with us?" (Matt. 13:55)

Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? And are His sisters not here with us?” (Mk. 6:3)

In Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4, what type of family members were Jesus's brothers, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: See opening post.

II.
"And when His own people heard about this..." (Mk. 3:21)

III.
"While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him." (Matt. 12:46-47)

"Then His mother and His brothers came..." (Mk. 3:31-32)

"Now His mother and brothers came to Him..." (Lk. 8:19-20)

In Matt. 12:46-47/Mk. 3:31-32/Lk. 8:19-20, which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: Jesus's brothers who arrived with His mother to speak with Him were two of His four cousins, Joseph and Simon of Alphaeus. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. II, ch. 268, pp. 430-436)

IV.
"After this He went down to Capernaum, He and His mother, and His brothers and His disciples; and they stayed there a few days." (Jn. 2:12)

In Jn. 2:12, which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: Jesus's brothers were two of His four cousins, James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus, and His disciples were Peter and Andrew, who later became two of His twelve elected apostles, and they accompanied Him and His mother to Capernaum. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. I, ch. 51, pp. 160-161)

V.
"So His brothers said to Him, 'Move on from here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing. For no one does anything in secret [when he himself is striving to be known publicly. If You are doing these things, show Yourself to the world.' For not even His brothers believed in Him." (Jn. 7:3-5)

In Jn. 7:3-5, which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: Jesus's brothers speaking were two of His four cousins, Joseph and Simon of Alphaeus, who at that time were unbelievers, though they later came to believe. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. IV, ch. 476, pp. 249-253)

VI.
"All these were continually devoting themselves with one mind to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers." (Ac. 1:14)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Ac. 1:14? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: Jesus's brothers could've only been some of His disciples, not the twelve apostles because of v. 13, nor any siblings because I've shown those claimed to be His half-siblings were actually His cousins.

VII.
"Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him for fifteen days. But I did not see another one of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother." (Gal. 1:18-19)

The James's in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and Gal. 1:19 were both called the brother of Jesus. Do you believe they were the same person? If so, what evidence do you have to support this?

My answer: After Paul mentions he had seen the apostle Peter, one of the twelve apostles, in Jerusalem, he continues to say that he didn't see any of the other apostles, except James. The context of Gal. 1:18-19 indicates that James was one of the twelve apostles. It's the title "the Lord's brother" that follows James's first name that indicates he was also Jesus's family member.

Of the twelve apostles there were two named "James:" James of Zebedee and James of Alphaeus, and neither were a son of Joseph and Mary. So, what type of family member would either of these apostles have been to Jesus? See opening post for why apostle James of Alphaeus was Jesus's cousin.

VIII.
"Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?" (1 Cor. 9:5)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in 1 Cor. 9:5? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

My answer: In 1. Cor. 9:5, the "brothers of the Lord" were the apostles James and Judas of Alphaeus who were also Jesus's cousins. It's not a problem they were mentioned separately from the rest of the twelve apostles, because notice in the same verse it also says "the rest of the apostles and Cephas." We know the apostle Peter was also called "Cephas," yet he's mentioned separately from the rest of the twelve apostles as well, though still one of them.

IX.
"He appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve..." (1 Cor. 15:5)

"After that He appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters (disciples) at one time..." (1 Cor. 15:6)

"then He appeared to James, then to
all the apostles, and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also." (1 Cor. 15:7)

Do you believe either apostles James of Alphaeus, or James of Zebedee, and James in 1 Cor. 15:7 were the same person? If so, what evidence do you have to support this?

My answer: In 1. Cor. 15:5, Jesus appeared to just the apostle Peter, then later to him with the rest of the Twelve, so He was seen by Peter at least twice. In the same way, Jesus appeared to just one of the two James's of the Twelve, then later to him with the rest of the Twelve, so He was seen by James at least twice as well. If "all the apostles" Jesus appeared to were "all other apostles," then Paul, an "other apostle", would've been included with them, but He was seen and mentioned separately from them and lastly. Therefore, Jesus appeared to one of the James of the Twelve, either James of Zebedee or James of Alphaeus.

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Part III

I've done the work to prove that Jesus's brothers (kinsmen/relatives) Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of His mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus, and his wife Mary of Cleophas (Clopas/Alphaeus), and thus His cousins.

If you reject my position, I challenge you to try to defend yours by answering the questions under each section of scriptural verses below.
If you have a sliver of conviction, you'll attempt to do so.

Note: The Koine Greek word "ἀδελφός'' (adelphos) has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman, or relative," e.g., sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, etc. Additionally, the word "ἀδελφός" in the plural (adelphoi) regularly refers to men and women.
I.
"Is this not the carpenter’s son? Is His mother not called Mary, and His brothers, James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas?" (Matt. 13:55)

Is this not the carpenter, the son of Mary and brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? (Mk. 6:3)

Do you agree that the definition "kinsman, or relative" of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3? If so, what type of family members were Jesus's brothers in those verses, and what is your evidence to support this?

II.
"And when His own people heard about this..." (Mk. 3:21)

In Mk.3:21, which family members are being referred to, and what is your evidence to support this?

III.
"While He was still speaking to the crowds, behold, His mother and brothers were standing outside, seeking to speak to Him." (Matt. 12:46-47)

"Then His mother and His brothers came..." (Mk. 3:31-32)

"Now His mother and brothers came to Him..." (Lk. 8:19-20)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Matt. 12:46-47/Mk. 3:31-32/Lk. 8:19-20? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

IV.
"After this He went down to Capernaum, He and His mother, and His brothers and His disciples; and they stayed there a few days." (Jn. 2:12)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Jn. 2:12? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

V.
"So His brothers said to Him, 'Move on from here and go into Judea, so that Your disciples also may see Your works which You are doing. For no one does anything in secret [when he himself is striving to be known publicly. If You are doing these things, show Yourself to the world.' For not even His brothers believed in Him." (Jn. 7:3-5)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Matt. 12:46/Mk. 3:31-32/Lk. 8:19-20? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

VI.
"All these were continually devoting themselves with one mind to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers." (Ac. 1:14)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in Ac. 1:14? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

VII.
"Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him for fifteen days. But I did not see another one of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother." (Gal. 1:18-19)

The James's in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and Gal. 1:19 were both called the brother of Jesus. Do you believe they were the same person? If so, what evidence do you have to support this?

VIII.
"Do we not have a right to take along a believing wife, even as the rest of the apostles and the brothers of the Lord, and Cephas?" (1 Cor. 9:5)

What evidence do you have to show the definition "kinsman, or relative” of the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi) applies in 1 Cor. 9:5? Which family members were these brothers of Jesus, and what is your evidence to support this?

IX.
"He appeared to Cephas, then to the Twelve..." (1 Cor. 15:5)

"After that He appeared to more than five hundred brothers
..." (1 Cor. 15:6)

"then He appeared to James, then to
all the apostles, and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also." (1 Cor. 15:7)

Do you believe either apostles James of Alphaeus, or James of Zebedee, and James in 1 Cor. 15:7 were the same person? If so, what evidence do you have to support this?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We didn't really need another thread about Jesus' siblings or lack of them, It's been done so many times that you must surely have seen them. However I can see you have put a great deal of time and effort into your post.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We didn't really need another thread about Jesus' siblings or lack of them, It's been done so many times that you must surely have seen them.

I have seen them, but I have yet to see people who disagree with my position to defend theirs by answering the questions in post #3.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never seen someone obsess over James like this....

In the video series-The Chosen, they easily differentiate between Big James and Little James.

Are you sure there isn't a third James? How many Johns were there? It's a bit of a silly exercise in futility. Majoring in the minor.

Reactions: Pearl

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the video series-The Chosen, they easily differentiate between Big James and Little James.

Are you sure there isn't a third James?

There would've been more than three people named "James" in Jesus's days, as it was a common name. In terms of the name "James" in the books that make up the New Testament of the Bible, it'd seem there were at least 6 men with that name: apostle James of Alphaeus (Matt. 10:3, Mk. 3:18, Lk. 6:15-16, Ac. 1:13), James the brother of Jesus (Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3), James the Less (Mk. 15:40), James the brother of the Lord (Gal. 1:19), James the Just, James the bishop of Jerusalem (Ac. 15:13-21), and James the author of the Epistle of James (Jas. 1). However, all these James's were the same person, and he was one of the cousins of Jesus, as I've shown in the opening post. The other "James" is apostle James of Zebedee, or "James the Great."

How many Johns were there?

There were many people named "John" in Jesus's days, as it was a common name. In terms of the name "John" in the books that make up the New Testament of the Bible, there were 5 men with that name that are mentioned: John the Baptist, John (father of apostle Peter), apostle John of Zebedee, John Mark (Mark the Evangelist), and John the Scribe.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James, of course is the anglicized form. There's a progression. It's a derivative of Jacob which of course would have been extremely common-- itself a Latin form of Iacomus, the Hebrew-Yakob, or Yaccov.

From there it branches across languages into many forms--

Jaime
Jacques
Diego and Iago as in San Diego and Santiago.

In all cases it means "supplanter" or "substitute." -One who takes the place of another.

Reactions: Pearl

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James, of course is the anglicized form. There's a progression. It's a derivative of Jacob which of course would have been extremely common-- itself a Latin form of Iacomus, the Hebrew-Yakob, or Yaccov.

From there it branches across languages into many forms--

Jaime
Jacques
Diego and Iago as in San Diego and Santiago.

In all cases it means "supplanter" or "substitute." -One who takes the place of another.

It's good that you agree it was a common name in Jesus's days. Any response to the rest of my last post?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen them, but I have yet to see people who disagree with my position to defend theirs by answering the questions in post #3.
Your posts are so long @Sigma that it is difficult to get to the heart of the matter under discussion. I do believe Mary had more babies - sons and daughters - after Jesus as the bible says he was her 'first born son' which implies others came after him. Your posts are so long I couldn't even work out what your 'position' is. Mine is stated in this post.

Reactions: Wick Stick

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your posts are so long @Sigma that it is difficult to get to the heart of the matter under discussion. I do believe Mary had more babies - sons and daughters - after Jesus as the bible says he was her 'first born son' which implies others came after him. Your posts are so long I couldn't even work out what your 'position' is. Mine is stated in this post.
Sigma is just trying to prove that Mary was a virgin perpetually. The arguments Sigma makes about the word being kinsman or relative does not remove it being brother also, IMO.
Its all a matter of if you believe Mary was a Virgin forever or not.

Reactions: Mr E

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never seen someone obsess over James like this....

Perhaps it's because you've been unaware that whether Jesus had half-siblings or not is matter of contention between Christians? It's the belief of some that Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) called Jesus's brothers in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 were His half-siblings.The opening post refutes that, primarily by identifying James, and post #3 challenges those who disagree with my position to try and defend theirs.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sigma is just trying to prove that Mary was a virgin perpetually. The arguments Sigma makes about the word being kinsman or relative does not remove it being brother also, IMO.
Its all a matter of if you believe Mary was a Virgin forever or not.
I absolutely do not believe that she remained a virgin forever and never had sex with her husband. So thank for the info. What a lot of time and effort he put into that argument. He must be very convinced of it in his own mind.

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps it's because you've been unaware that whether Jesus had half-siblings or not is matter of contention between Christians? It's the belief of some that Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) called Jesus's brothers in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 were His half-siblings.The opening post refutes that, primarily by identifying James, and post #3 challenges those who disagree with my position to try and defend theirs.

You obsess because your beliefs demand that Jesus not have any brothers and sisters.

Mine do not.

Your post is indicative of a sheer desperation to establish a point upon which your faith rests.

Mine hinges on Jesus, not Mary.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your posts are so long I couldn't even work out what your 'position' is.

How can you work out what you don't read? The final paragraph of the opening post summarizes my position.

I do believe Mary had more babies - sons and daughters

Do you believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sigma is just trying to prove that Mary was a virgin perpetually.

You're either deliberately misrepresenting me, or are assuming what my argument is without actually knowing, because the final paragraph of my opening post summarizes my position, which is that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 were not His half-siblings, but rather His cousins. Note: This in itself does not prove Mary of Joseph was a perpetual Virgin.

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You obsess because your beliefs demand that Jesus not have any brothers and sisters.

Mine do not.

Your post is indicative of a sheer desperation to establish a point upon which your faith rests.

Mine hinges on Jesus, not Mary.

Do you believe Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were His half-siblings?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How can you work out what you don't read? The final paragraph of the opening post summarizes my position.

Do you believe Jesus's "half-siblings" were Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and His unnamed sisters in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4?
You seem to have done a study on those things. I believe Jesus had a brother called James and also one called John and he probably had many more siblings because the pill hadn't yet been invented. However to me it isn't important whether he had a couple or many but I believe that God would not have expected Mary and Joseph to remain celibate or childless.

Reactions: Cassandra

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You're either deliberately misrepresenting me, or are assuming what my argument is without actually knowing, because the final paragraph of my opening post summarizes my position, which is that Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55-56/Mk. 6:3-4 were not His half-siblings, but rather His cousins. Note: This in itself does not prove Mary of Joseph was a perpetual Virgin.
@Sigma When one posts such long stretches of text it is very difficult to get to the heart of the subject matter. I confess I haven't read all your post as I have difficulty reading long stretches of prose online. But if your point wasn't what @Cassandra said, then please, in as few words as possible, explain it to us.

Reactions: Wick Stick