John 1:1 - Jesus is the Father or he's not the one true God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, there are not hundreds of verses that preclude the donkey from talking, nor a virgin birth. The trinity is another story.
To some, it is, yes, because they erroneously think there are "hundreds of verses that preclude" the triune Jehovah. There are none ~ they actually do quite the opposite ~ so it's quite the same story in that respect.

Whatever you think Jesus thought about his relationship with God, we are to think thing the same (verse 5).
Are you trying to make some kind of correlation in what you say here to what Paul is saying in Philippians 2:5? Because that whole passage is about His Christ's Jesus mindset during his entire life on earth of total humility.

If Jesus thought he was God, then so should we?
Surely you're not suggesting that we should regard Jesus as some sort of lunatic.

Jesus told us that He and the Father are one, He assigned the name of God to Himself, He did things only God can do, and He described Himself in terms only reserved for God, and acknowledged His own glory with the Father from all eternity. Among other things. :)

Grace and peace to you, Rich.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantastic, then you acknowledge that Jesus is the object of Christian hope just as Paul says in Titus 2:13.

Indeed. And I would reach that conclusion regardless of whether Titus 2:13 were interpreted as (1) Jesus Christ is the great God and Savior; (2) the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ are two different entities; or (3) Jesus Christ is in apposition to δόξα, with τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν referring solely to God. (No one has mentioned this third possibility yet.)

I happen to favor (1) as the right interpretation. I just happen to think your reason for favoring it is based on an unsupportable claim about proper use of Greek syntax. We're on the same team here theologically. Lingusitically, we're not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS, I just want to provide you with more information concerning Hebrews 13:8.
Ah yes, more "information." Yes, let's have it... :)

You may have its understanding all wrong.
And I... may not. :)

Take it for what you think it's worth... I created a little commentary for you on the subject...
Meaning you pretty much copied and pasted a bunch of stuff. Okay. :)

These verses are focused on the reliability of the gospel and words and doctrine of Christ that they never change.
Right, that's true, but that's not all.

Verse 8 is not about a pre-existence, existence or the future existence of Jesus/Yahshua.
Well, verse 8 is not just about His eternality. But it is assuredly indicative of His eternality.

Although some people try to use this verse as if it says Jesus Christ has existed from eternity past, the very wording shows clearly that is not the case.
It does both, APAK.

A study of the word 'Yesterday' in Scripture is in order. It shows that it refers to something that happened only a short time before. The word transliterated from the Greek is 'echthes' (or 'chthes'), and it appears only three times in the New Testament: John 4:52, Acts 7:28, and Hebrews 13:8. In the first two occurrences, the word is clearly used to mean, the day before today...
Sure, but you should read about it as pertaining to all "todays," if you will, from eternity past to eternity future.

It would create new grammatic limit beyond its intended use, beyond acceptable limits to try to make this verse say that Christ has always existed.
Not at all. And, of course, Christ Himself said, "Before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58).

That should be enough. We should be careful, as Paul tells us, not to have itching ears (2 Timothy 4:3). May the Holy Spirit be with you. :)

Grace and peace to you.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah yes, more "information." Yes, let's have it... :)

And I... may not. :)

Meaning you pretty much copied and pasted a bunch of stuff. Okay. :)

Right, that's true, but that's not all.

Well, verse 8 is not just about His eternality. But it is assuredly indicative of His eternality.

It does both, APAK.

Sure, but you should read about it as pertaining to all "todays," if you will, from eternity past to eternity future.

Not at all. And, of course, Christ Himself said, "Before Abraham was, I AM." (John 8:58).

That should be enough. We should be careful, as Paul tells us, not to have itching ears (2 Timothy 4:3). May the Holy Spirit be with you. :)

Grace and peace to you.
I get that a lot, even on this site, about copying and pasting, and truly much of it comes, the words at least, comes from my own brain and not from others. We all learn from someplace including the HS.

I use sources to add credibility because many folks are so vain and prideful that they do not consider a 'nobody' bringing anything of value to them that would persuade them of anything. And I also use some sources to enhance, amplify and highlight what I have come to know as true, like in this subject.

I see you are firmly in the corner of the 3 persons-one god paradigm and nothing with ever change your mind, even if you are provided with a commentary that denies this paradigm of yours is scriptural and God inspired.

Great Day

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all learn from someplace including the HS.
Sure.

I use sources to add credibility because many folks are so vain and prideful that they do not consider a 'nobody' bringing anything of value to them that would persuade them of anything. And I also use some sources to enhance, amplify and highlight what I have come to know as true, like in this subject.
Well, agreed, but regarding the things we are talking about, no one is going to be persuaded unless the Holy Spirit helps them to discern correctly. This is His job. :) They may think they have come to know things, but they may not have... :) Job found this out the hard way, starting in Job 38:1, and when it was finished, he wisely said to God, "I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted... Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know... I had heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42:1-6).

I see you are firmly in the corner of the 3 persons-one god paradigm and nothing with ever change your mind...
Right. Thanks be to God.

... even if you are provided with a commentary that denies this paradigm of yours is scriptural and God inspired.
Yes, the commentary is the problem, APAK. There are a lot of commentaries out there, of many different kinds, you know. But as Paul says (and I alluded to before), "For the time is coming..." (is now here) "...when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own passions, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander off into myths."

Great Day
Same to you, my friend. Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: APAK

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In vol. 5, p. 257 the respected The Expositor's Greek Testament speaking of Sharp’s Rule says:

"In the present case [Jude 1:4], however, the second noun (kupiov [“lord”]) belongs to the class of words which may stand without the article .... A similar doubtful case is found in Tit. ii. 13.…”

The key here is that 1. Sharp used prepositional constructions (usually genitives) in his ‘proofs.’ 2. Sharp used personal names in his ‘proofs.’ So not only did the NT Bible writers sometimes use the article and sometimes not use the article with the very same intended meaning with the very same proper name (e.g. "the James" and "James"), but even when a proper name is used as an appositive it also causes irregular article usage with the other associated nouns. - Robertson, pp. 760, 791.

These are well-known reasons why the noun so affected (prepositional construction or use of personal name) can, and often does, mean that the definite article is to be understood. For example Titus 2:13 may mean “…of the great God and savior of us Christ Jesus” Or it may well mean “…of the great God and of the savior [genitive] of us Christ Jesus.”

Unfortunately, nearly all trinitarian translators render Titus 2:13 in a trinitarian way (SURPRISE!). But even so we find a few who admitted the the likelihood of the two-person meaning:

Titus 2:13

Bible translations old and new:

13 lokynge for that blessed hope and appearynge of the glory of ye greate God and of oure Sauioure Iesu Christ - Coverdale

...snip...

"Some Trinitarians say that the grammar of Titus 2:13 forces the interpretation that Jesus is God because of the Granville Sharp rule of Greek grammar. That is not the case, however. The Granville Sharp rule has been debated and successfully challenged. When Scripture refers to “our Great God and Savior, Jesus Christ,” it can indeed be referring to two separate beings: the “Great God,” and the “Savior,” Jesus Christ. The highly regarded Trinitarian Henry Alford gives a number of reasons as to why the grammar of the Greek does not force the interpretation of the passage to make Christ God (Henry Alford, The Greek Testament, Moody Press, Chicago, 1958, Vol. 3, entry on Titus 2:13 ). [For more on the Granville Sharp rule, see commentary on 2 Peter 1:1]." - Revised English Version Commentary - Titus 2:13.

And, finally, concerning Titus 2:13, the steadfastly trinitarian The Expositor's Greek Testament (vol. 4, p. 195) says specifically of Titus 2:13:

"On the whole, then, we decide in favour of the R.V.m. in the rendering of this passage, appearing of the glory of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ. The grammatical argument - [Sharp's Rule] - is too slender to bear much weight, especially when we take into consideration not only the general neglect of the article in these epistles but the omission of it before σωτὴρ ['savior'] in I Tim. i. I, iv. 10 [1:1; 4:10]."

Kermos wrote: "THE APOSTLE PAUL INDISPUTABLY CALLS JESUS "THE GREAT GOD" (τοῦ μεγάλου Θεοῦ) WITH "LOOKING FOR THE BLESSED HOPE AND THE APPEARING OF THE GLORY OF THE GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR OF US, CHRIST JESUS" (TITUS 2:13)." - Obviously, the apostle Paul did not INDISPUTABLY call Jesus "the great God"! - [I am removing an unkind remark I made here. Pardon me, please]

For my full study of this, see:

Examining the Trinity: SHARP'S Rule

The grammar, even the very linguistics, is indisputable: therefore, all people are liars who say that Titus 2:13 says something different than the grammar that the Apostle Paul specifically used which I outlined. Titus 2:13 adulterated by any person makes the outcome a lie, whether out of ignorance or out of malfeasance.

A liar adulterates the words that Paul recorded in Titus 2:13 regardless of whether out of ignorance or malfeasance; in other words, it is not a dispute, but it is a lie.

The post is also to @DavidB and @APAK because they like tigger 2's post.

Titus 2:13 truthfully properly exegeted with Greek grammar rules applied maintains consistent Apostolic testimony.

Here is the English-Greek full word-for-word of Titus 2:13:

awaiting-προσδεχόμενοι the-τὴν blessed-μακαρίαν hope-ἐλπίδα and-καὶ appearing-ἐπιφάνειαν the-τῆς glory-δόξης the-τοῦ great-μεγάλου God-Θεοῦ and-καὶ Savior-Σωτῆρος us-ἡμῶν Christ-Χριστοῦ Jesus-Ἰησοῦ

All of "God", "Savior", "Christ", and "Jesus" are genitive, singular, and masculine thus they are to be taken together as a single cohesive unit according to Greek grammar rules, and this unit has the genitive singular adjectives "glory" and "great" pointing at this unit for all the genitive singular words are inextricably tied together according to Greek grammar rules.

The logical "and" in the phrase "our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13) is linguistically tied to Jesus Christ because the word "hope", which is singular, as well as the word "glory", which is singular, in the phrase "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of" (Titus 2:13); therefore, Paul singularly refers to "our great God" and "Savior" and "Christ Jesus" as One singular.

See that linguistically, "hope" and "glory" would need to be plural in order for "our great God" and "Savior" and "Christ Jesus" to be disassociated in the evil manner which you think applies.

THE APOSTLE PAUL INDISPUTABLY CALLS JESUS "THE GREAT GOD" (τοῦ μεγάλου Θεοῦ) WITH "LOOKING FOR THE BLESSED HOPE AND THE APPEARING OF THE GLORY OF THE GREAT GOD AND SAVIOR OF US, CHRIST JESUS" (TITUS 2:13).

The Greek grammar rules make it utterly clear in order to avoid confusion, yet you have managed to confuse yourself unto eternal punishment according to your current state. You confuse Paul's words while you neglect the greater Apostolic testimony.

Immanuel (Matthew 1:23 "God with us"), Jesus, is truly Almighty God, YHWH, with us (Revelation 1:8) (see see the Truth [John 14:6] that God had me compose in post #283 to expose the deception of tigger 2 and Rich R).

Rich R

Mar 14, 2022
Julian, CA
julianbiblestudy.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To some, it is, yes, because they erroneously think there are "hundreds of verses that preclude" the triune Jehovah. There are none ~ they actually do quite the opposite ~ so it's quite the same story in that respect.

Are you trying to make some kind of correlation in what you say here to what Paul is saying in Philippians 2:5? Because that whole passage is about His Christ's Jesus mindset during his entire life on earth of total humility.

Surely you're not suggesting that we should regard Jesus as some sort of lunatic.

Jesus told us that He and the Father are one, He assigned the name of God to Himself, He did things only God can do, and He described Himself in terms only reserved for God, and acknowledged His own glory with the Father from all eternity. Among other things. :)

Grace and peace to you, Rich.
You don't seem to understand much of what I say. How in the world you have me saying Jesus is a lunatic is beyond me.

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't seem to understand much of what I say.
I do, actually. I've heard it all many times before.

How in the world you have me saying Jesus is a lunatic is beyond me.
Well, I don't "have you saying that," per se, but if what you're saying were true, that would be the inevitable result.

Grace and peace to you.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A liar adulterates the words that Paul recorded in Titus 2:13 regardless of whether out of ignorance or malfeasance; in other words, it is not a dispute, but it is a lie.

The post is also to @DavidB and @APAK because they like tigger 2's post.
Hot on the trail of some more truth again I see.
So you believe you are on a mission to sort out Paul's intentions and clear it all up for him and for us as you think he was deliberately ambiguous in Titus 2:13 and never addressed Jesus as the only (great) God, as part of a Trinity that Paul never knew at all. Quite impressive work aye?!

Titus 1:4 clears it up for me already without you going around and fiddling with it and trying to change Paul's intent of Titus 2:13.

(Tit 1:4) To Titus, my true child in a common faith: Grace and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Savior.(ESV)

(Tit 2:13) waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, (ESV)

And what is the glory of our great God? It is the blessed hope of salvation for all the chosen of the Father, when the Father's Son returns in glory and power and thus the Father is glorified in the process. Do you actually think that God Almighty the Father, will be seen in the 'clouds?' He has no form and he is invisible. How will you see him? Only through his Son and his visible appearance at his Parousia of course.

I suggest you might want to get your head out of the damp darkness, and into the glorious warm light, where it shines in glory.

Happy trails...

Reactions: tigger 2

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 - Jesus is the Father or he's not the one true God?
OP ^

Knowledge is one thing.
Understanding the Knowledge is another thing.
Seeing the Manifestation of the Knowledge is another thing.

* Jesus IS the Word, Truth, Way, Life, Servant, Lord, Savior, Forgiver, Righteousness OF God.
* Yes the Word, Truth, Way, Life, Servant, Lord, Righteousness, Savior, OF God IS God.

* Christ IS the Spirit, Light, Power, Seed, Wisdom, Quickener, of God.
* Yes the Spirit, Light, Power, Seed, Wisdom, Quickener of God IS God.

* Yes God IS invisible.

* Yes Humans Can Hear, Trust, Believe, Commit to the Belief...
Of WHO GOD ‘wholly’ IS, VIA the Knowledge.

* Yes Humans Can “SEE” and “EXPERIENCE” the Effects/Results of GOD, during their earthly life time.

* Yes this day (before physical death) Humans can BECOME:
Their sins forgiven.
Their soul restored/saved.
Their spirit quickened/born again.
Kept forever, WITH the Lord God, via HIS indwelt POWER.
(The BAPTISM OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, VIA, the Lamb of God).

* And SHALL be raised up in a glorified sinless body.
* Yes, ON THAT DAY, of being raised bodily in Glory...
* THEN SHALL that man “SEE” God as HE IS.

Knowledge IS;
YES, the WHOLE of which is IN God IS God.
YES, that which is IN God, sent forth out from God, continues to Remain IN God, IS God.

Gods Knowledge, Gods Truth, Gods Word, Gods Power, Gods Light, etc. IS sent forth out from God, Yet Remains IN God, IS God.

The WHOLE of God is called in Reference to the WHOLE...the Father.
The Word of God is called in Reference to the WORD of God...the Son.

ManKind IS NOT “YET”, fully prepared TO “SEE” or “EXPERIENCE” the WHOLE of God.

If that be too complicated to digest...
Parallel it to your own children.
A parent gives knowledge ABOUT many things, from tidiness, to behaviors, to operating machinery, cars, to sexual encounters...
long before the child is prepared to “experience” and “see” those things.

Jesus IS a PART of God.
Any PART of God IS God.
The Knowledge IS God the Father, IS the WHOLE of God.
* WHEN (according to Gods end of these days Separation of those WITH Him and those AGAINST Him)...
The WHOLE of God SHALL be Revealed for those WITH God to “SEE” the WHOLE of God...
* The Language SHALL then CHANGE for all that are WITH God..
There will be NO FATHER/SON reference TO God.

Rev 21:
[7] He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Glory to God,
Taken

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed. And I would reach that conclusion regardless of whether Titus 2:13 were interpreted as (1) Jesus Christ is the great God and Savior; (2) the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ are two different entities; or (3) Jesus Christ is in apposition to δόξα, with τοῦ μεγάλου θεοῦ καὶ σωτῆρος ἡμῶν referring solely to God. (No one has mentioned this third possibility yet.)

I happen to favor (1) as the right interpretation. I just happen to think your reason for favoring it is based on an unsupportable claim about proper use of Greek syntax. We're on the same team here theologically. Lingusitically, we're not.

New Testament Greek, also known as Koine (common) Greek or Alexandrian Greek, was originally used in the geographically dispersed armies of Alexander the Great, according to historians.

Linguists and historians explain that Alexandrian Greek is a simplification of the Greek spoken and written in Attica, the region around Athens in Greece, known as Attic Greek.

Historians further claim that Alexander needed a precise language for his disparate armies, which were comprised of people of many lands and differing languages, to have a common language that precisely conveyed the commands of their army chief from one side of the empire to the other, and that language is what we call Alexandrian Greek or NT Greek.

By the time of Jesus, Alexandrian Greek was the lingua franca of the Mediterranean.

Alexander became a ruler because God brought it to pass. Paul wrote "there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God" (Romans 13:1).

Clearly, one result of God establishing Alexander's reign includes the widespread use of the well-defined precise language of NT Greek or Alexandrian Greek.

Alexandrian Greek is a precision language with specific grammar rules and linguistics resulting in clarity of communication, and Paul leveraged that clarity in Titus 2:13, even when Titus 2:13 is aligned with other Scripture.

The Apostle Paul was precisely clear with his grammar when he wrote in Alexandrian Greek that Jesus is "the great God" with "looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of the great God and Savior of us, Christ Jesus" (Titus 2:13).

The only spiritually accurate reading of Titus 2:13 is "(1) Jesus Christ is the great God and Savior".

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see John saying, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
What I don't see is, "In the beginning was Jesus, and Jesus was with God, and Jesus was God" I also don't see, "...and Jesus became flesh" in John 1:14.

I took the time and effort to learn what the logos (Greek for "word" in John 1) actually is. It's not Jesus. The third phrase in John 1:1 says it pretty clearly, "...and the Word (logos) was God." That would be the God that Jesus said he has, the same God we all have (John 20:17, Rev 3:12). Paul mentions the God and Father of Jesus in the salutation of every one of his Epistles.

The logos is another name for God. It's that simple. Now we don't have to figure out who is God's God and Father.

"Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the Word" (Luke 1:1-2).

Luke wrote "eyewitnesses" "of the Word" (Luke 1:2), and the "eyewitnesses" includes people like the Apostle Thomas who humbly acknowledged "My Lord and my God" to to TO Jesus (John 20:28).

In Luke 1:1-2, the word "Word" is translated from the Greek word "Logos".

The "eyewitnesses" includes people like the Apostle John who illuminates the Word is Jesus with "the Word became flesh" (John 1:14).

In John 1:14, the word "Word" is translated from the Greek word "Logos".

Both the Apostle John and Luke illuminate that Jesus is the Word.

Thus John refers to Jesus in John 1:1-5 as the "Word" and "He" and "Him" and "Life" and "Light":

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the Life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

In John 1:1-5, the word "Word" is translated from the Greek word "Logos".

The following describes how "Word", "He", "Him", "Life", and "Light" all refer to Jesus.

The first word of John 1:2 is "He", and that "He" is the "Word" in John 1:1, and that "He" in John 1:2 is the "Him" in John 1:3 and John 1:4; moreover, the "Him" in John 1:3 is the "Life" in John 1:4, and the "Him" in John 1:3 is the "Light" in John 1:4 and John 1:5.

Truly, we have a Spiritually accurate linguistic linkage from "Light" in John 1:5 back to "Word" in John 1:1.

Jesus says "While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world" (John 9:6), so we have Jesus being the Light in John 1:4-5 and John 9:6.

Jesus says "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life" (John 14:6), so we have Jesus being the Life in in John 1:4 and John 14:6.

John witnesses that Jesus is the Word with "the Word became flesh" (John 1:14), so we have John further identifying Jesus as the Word (Logos).

Lord Jesus Christ is the Word of God (John 1:1-5, John 1:14), a.k.a. the Logos of Theos, and the Word of God is God.

Jesus, truly God, is the God of Jesus, truly Man; moreover, Jesus, truly God, is God with the Father.

Jesus reveals Himself as truly God and truly Man at His discretion.

Jesus Christ is truly Man (Luke 1:26-33) - the Son of Man, and Jesus Christ is truly God (Luke 1:34-35, John 8:58, John 20:28, John 5:18, John 10:30-31) - the Son of God.

Based on this Truth (John 14:6), Jesus Christ can refer to Himself as Man at his discretion and when He deems it is appropriate.

Furthermore. Jesus Christ can refer to Himself as God at his discretion and when He deems it is appropriate.

Here is an instance of Jesus, truly God, saying "I and the Father are One" (John 10:30) in which Jesus speaks in His capacity of God thus including both the person of Jesus and the person of the Father in the One True God.

Here is another instance, this time of Jesus, truly Man, saying "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.'" (John 20:17) in which Jesus speaks in His capacity of Man thus including the person of Jesus and His brothers in one (John 17:21). See, the Son of Man being the firstborn of the born of God persons (Romans 8:29, Colossians 1:15, John 3:3-8).

We, children of God, can also refer to Jesus in his capacity as truly God as well as His capacity as truly Man. We can use context to make the distinction.

We, born of the Holy Spirit of God persons (John 3:3-8), are one in God (John 17:21) because of the indwelling Holy Spirit (John 14:16-17), thus God is One. We are the blessed beneficiaries of the Holy Spirit of God's work in us.

Rich R, you demonstrated your unbelief about Jesus in A Curious Question For Non-Trinitarians and you are persisting in your fight against the Word of God.

Immanuel (Matthew 1:23 "God with us"), Jesus, is truly Almighty God, YHWH, with us (Revelation 1:8) (see see the Truth [John 14:6] that God had me compose in post #283 to expose the deception of tigger 2 and Rich R).

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke wrote "eyewitnesses" "of the Word" (Luke 1:2), and the "eyewitnesses" includes people like the Apostle Thomas who humbly acknowledged "My Lord and my God" to to TO Jesus (John 20:28).

In Luke 1:1-2, the word "Word" is translated from the Greek word "Logos".

The "eyewitnesses" includes people like the Apostle John who illuminates the Word is Jesus with "the Word became flesh" (John 1:14).

I'm not sure what you mean by "like the Apostle Thomas" here. Are you suggesting that Luke interviewed Thomas, or interviewed people who overheard Thomas say what John 20:28 later records Thomas as saying?

I'm not sure what you mean by "like the Apostle John" here. Are you suggesting that Luke interviewed the Apostle John (presuming him to be the author of the Fourth Gospel), or interviewed people who were told by him what John 1:14 later states?

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by "like the Apostle Thomas" here. Are you suggesting that Luke interviewed Thomas, or interviewed people who overheard Thomas say what John 20:28 later records Thomas as saying?

I'm not sure what you mean by "like the Apostle John" here. Are you suggesting that Luke interviewed the Apostle John (presuming him to be the author of the Fourth Gospel), or interviewed people who were told by him what John 1:14 later states?

Luke wrote ""Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the Word" (Luke 1:1-2).

I am saying that eyewitnesses of the Word include people like Thomas and John. Luke explains clearly that eyewitnesses "handed down" an account of the things accomplished.

Are you suggesting that Thomas and John are not eyewitnesses of the Word?

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke wrote ""Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and servants of the Word" (Luke 1:1-2).

I am saying that eyewitnesses of the Word include people like Thomas and John. Luke explains clearly that eyewitnesses "handed down" an account of the things accomplished.

Are you suggesting that Thomas and John are not eyewitnesses of the Word?

No. I'm suggesting that we have no evidence Luke ever met either one of them, and no reason to believe that what is recounted by John 20:28 and John 1:14 was ever told to Luke by anyone.

Not a single word of Luke's gospel would be any different if Thomas had never said "My Lord and my God," or if John had never written "And the word became flesh and dwelt amongst us."

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I'm suggesting that we have no evidence Luke ever met either one of them, and no reason to believe that what is recounted by John 20:28 and John 1:14 was ever told to Luke by anyone.

Not a single word of Luke's gospel would be any different if Thomas had never said "My Lord and my God," or if John had never written "And the word became flesh and dwelt amongst us."

Well, your writing does not match Luke's writing because Luke clearly wrote that eyewitnesses "handed down" an "account of the things accomplished" by "the Word" of God (Luke 1:1-2); therefore, the content of John 20:28 and John 1:14 most certainly are eyewitness accounts.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, your writing does not match Luke's writing because Luke clearly wrote that eyewitnesses "handed down" an "account of the things accomplished" by "the Word" (Luke 1:1-2); therefore, the content of John 20:28 and John 1:14 most certainly are eyewitness accounts.

The content of John 20:28 and of John 1:14 may well be eyewitness accounts (let's assume it) -- but that hardly means those accounts were included in any of the "many" compilations mentioned in Luke 1:1 as being handed down by eyewitnesses, or in Luke's own gospel (which doesn't recount either one).

So, I must quibble with your use of the word "therefore." The existence of many handed-down eyewitness accounts at the time Luke put pen to parchment tells us nothing about whether the events of John 20:28 and John 1:14 were or were not included in those eyewitness accounts.

Kermos

Mar 18, 2019
United States
JesusDelivers.Faith
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The content of John 20:28 and of John 1:14 may well be eyewitness accounts (let's assume it) -- but that hardly means those accounts were included in any of the "many" compilations mentioned in Luke 1:1 as being handed down by eyewitnesses, or in Luke's own gospel (which doesn't recount either one).

So, I must quibble with your use of the word "therefore." The existence of many handed-down eyewitness accounts at the time Luke put pen to parchment tells us nothing about whether the events of John 20:28 and John 1:14 were or were not included in those eyewitness accounts.

RedFan, look at "the Word" in Luke 1:2 and "the Word" in John 1:14, so "the Word" is used in common by Luke as well as John to refer to Lord Jesus Christ.

This is the point for @Rich R, RedFan.

Status
Not open for further replies.