John 13:35

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Years ago I heard a preacher address the issue of why Christians were afraid of going into pubs and mingling with ' the ordinary world ' - he relayed that so many Christians are afraid of ' being contaminated ' by non believers - he went on to say something that I will never forget, he said ' aren't we suppose to contaminate others with Jesus , and how will we do that if we steer clear of the very people we are suppose to be contaminating ! '
At the time I was often going to the pub after church because my husband was part of a pub quiz team, I had to try and juggle ' being a Christian and being married to a non Christian ' I was part of a church that had so many rules about Sunday's - and boy did they let me know how awful I was for ' sharing time with family and my husband if it incurred going against their rules. They had a problem with me and another member going to the pub quiz - but what they didn't get, was our motives. It wasn't to get drunk, it was to ' come alongside ' our families and friends.
When I eventually left that church they were upset because ' I had such a high regard in the village and they were worried what people would think of them ' !!
Sorry Nancy, that's waffling and I have just noticed I should have got up ten mins ago, now I will be chasing the clock to catch my bus !!!!! Oooooooops "............talk later xxxx

Lol! You, Pearl, and @"ByGrace" are just giving me more material for my fake "English" accents... Keep 'em comin! :D
And as for your post...who did Jesus spend His time with mostly? (other than His Disciples) Sinners, the LOST...if we remove ourselves from the "world" then, how can we possibly share His Gospel? Be a witness for Him? As they say, "we live in the world but are not OF it"
Very legalistic and condemning Church...glad you left it Rita! ♥
BTW-I could understand a Christian who might be week in areas, like alcohol...maybe they should not choose a pub to obey the Great Commission...Jesus said..."GO..."
Hi to your bro for us!!! Hope the day is going well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Now, that's a fine vision sir! Do you even think this is even possible in the mainline, Evangelical Church?
When we first joined our church that was exactly how they tried to live their lives, as a community of believers but not living under one roof. The men gathered together each night after work to do the work on our newly acquired premises, each tradesman offering his services and those who had no trade helping out as and when they could. My husband's job was to crawl into small spaces with electrical cables etc as he is slightly built. People gave us money, paid for us to go to the bible week, and somebody we didn't even know lent us a tent. Somebody gave us a car and when we went to the meetings on a Sunday we never knew what time we'd get home or whose house we'd end up being invited to for our meal or who would be coming back with us. It was truly wonderful but sadly it didn't last.

D

Dave L

when I first joined my church that was exactly how they tried to live their lives, as a community of believers but not living under one roof. People gave us money, paid for us to go to the bible week, somebody gave us a car and when we went to the meetings on a Sunday we never knew what time we'd get home or whose house we'd end up being invited to for our meal. It was truly wonderful but sadly it didn't last.
I think we can still do this even if our church doesn't. It's a good way to treat others as our equal.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lol! You, Pearl, and Helen are just giving me more material for my fake "English" accents... Keep 'em comin! :D
And as for your post...who did Jesus spend His time with mostly? (other than His Disciples) Sinners, the LOST...if we remove ourselves from the "world" then, how can we possibly share His Gospel? Be a witness for Him? As they say, "we live in the world but are not OF it"
BTW-I could understand a Christian who might be week in areas, like alcohol...maybe they should not choose a pub to obey the Great Commission...Jesus said..."GO..."
It has always 'bugged' me why our Christian friends won't come to the pub with us. Ray and I have always enjoyed going to the pub and on Saturday evenings we used to enjoy the company of a group of odd balls with strange nicknames. Handbag Alan, the African Queen to name two, and musician Adrian with almost full body tattoos and weird piercings. If you don't befriend people how can you witness to them. They knew we were Christians and respected that and we respected them. We had fun together and had such a good laugh. I always wanted to sit round a table in a pub with a few friends and do a bible study or something similar without being too overt and in you face about it.

Reactions: Butterfly and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey Nancy

The love thing is always so hard to define and understand.

"I love my cat, I love my dog, I love ice cream, I love God..."

John 13: 34 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are My disciples, if ye have love one to another. "

John 15 "
13 "Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. "
It doesn't always mean the great sacrifice dying in someone else's place...but giving of ourself in any and every area.

That is the acid test for us all. Love costs, love hurts...

And I am far from being there. I don't 'give of myself' until it hurts.
Yet that in itself is what speaks to the world when they see a Christian act in that way, for to them who have 'self first', seeing those placing self last.."speaks" more than words.

You and I both are far from being there! And, you have been following Him much longer than I so, what's your excuse???!!!??! :D:D:D:D SO joking with you my lovely sister ♥
It is mostly time I can be selfish with :oops: But...have come a long way from whence I came :) Yes, love is dearly costly yet it is the price we pay for His will to be done, and He has a way of changing our don't want to's to want to's ♥ And, it just make s me WANT to serve Him however I am able. He has already prepared "good works" for us to walk into...it's up to us to recognize them and decide to obey, or not. I find that if you obey, you will be blessed probably more than the person you blessed!
Am I waffling? :eek: Well...I AM typing with the English accent...the "posh" today :D
xo

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we first joined our church that was exactly how they tried to live their lives, as a community of believers but not living under one roof. The men gathered together each night after work to do the work on our newly acquired premises, each tradesman offering his services and those who had no trade helping out as and when they could. My husband's job was to crawl into small spaces with electrical cables etc as he is slightly built. People gave us money, paid for us to go to the bible week, and somebody we didn't even know lent us a tent. Somebody gave us a car and when we went to the meetings on a Sunday we never knew what time we'd get home or whose house we'd end up being invited to for our meal or who would be coming back with us. It was truly wonderful but sadly it didn't last.

Sigh Pearl,
So sad it didn't last. It was obviously Gods desire for your little Body as, God gave you the money, the car and the tent. And, all the people worked together like, in Acts.
THIS is what I crave, this kind of gathering.
May I ask why the group didn't last?
xo

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lol! You, Pearl, and Helen are just giving me more material for my fake "English" accents... Keep 'em comin! :D
Sigh Pearl,
So sad it didn't last. It was obviously Gods desire for your little Body as, God gave you the money, the car and the tent. And, all the people worked together like, in Acts.
THIS is what I crave, this kind of gathering.
May I ask why the group didn't last?
xo
Their 'motto' at the time was, 'Without vision the people perish' and I just think they lost their vision. They probably got too big too but instead of dividing they carried on growing - at one time there used to be standing room only - and then when the division came it was negative. It is so sad it wasn't sustainable. I haven't been for a while but I am unable to settle anywhere else either. See what you think: Welcome - CHURCH@Claremont

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Their 'motto' at the time was, 'Without vision the people perish' and I just think they lost their vision. They probably got too big too but instead of dividing they carried on growing - at one time there used to be standing room only - and then when the division came it was negative. It is so sad it wasn't sustainable. I haven't been for a while but I am unable to settle anywhere else either. See what you think: Welcome - CHURCH@Claremont

Ah, that's sad. Satan just needs a teeny foothold to divide a True Church of God.
Church at Claremont sounds wonderful and very warm and welcoming. I also love all the opportunities offered for the body to come together. I'd go there! ♥

Reactions: Helen and Pearl
D

Dave L

Ah, that's sad. Satan just needs a teeny foothold to divide a True Church of God.
Church at Claremont sounds wonderful and very warm and welcoming. I also love all the opportunities offered for the body to come together. I'd go there! ♥
The gates of hell cannot prevail against the church.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gates of hell cannot prevail against the church.

No, not "ultimately" but Satan attends every Church out there and, he uses week Christians, fake Christians to divide. We're still in a sinful and wicked world so, what makes you think that Satan does not try to split up Church's? I would think it's one of his biggest achievements as...people, Christians , fall, faint, err.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We learned so much there as one of the elders was a gifted preacher and we were all equal and could come to the front and share with the church or preach if we had something to offer. We took turns administering the bread and wine to each other and Ray and I were very privileged to get to baptise a new member. We were the priesthood of believers to a tee. But now I've left it's harder to go back and I don't really know if I want to. It got a bit cliquey too, but then I suppose most churches do.

Reactions: Nancy and Dave L
D

Dave L

No, not "ultimately" but Satan attends every Church out there and, he uses week Christians, fake Christians to divide. We're still in a sinful and wicked world so, what makes you think that Satan does not try to split up Church's? I would think it's one of his biggest achievements as...people, Christians , fall, faint, err.
It starts with you giving in love and spreads to the church from there.

Reactions: marks

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It starts with you giving in love and spreads to the church from there.
Not sure what you mean by "It starts..." And, also not sure how this relates to my post? Please, bear with my lack of "smarts"...I do get it eventually :)

D

Dave L

Not sure what you mean by "It starts..." And, also not sure how this relates to my post? Please, bear with my lack of "smarts"...I do get it eventually :)
I'm just saying a good church starts with us and spreads out from us. I've seen positive impact from becoming involved with different groups over the years.

Reactions: marks and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We learned so much there as one of the elders was a gifted preacher and we were all equal and could come to the front and share with the church or preach if we had something to offer. We took turns administering the bread and wine to each other and Ray and I were very privileged to get to baptise a new member. We were the priesthood of believers to a tee. But now I've left it's harder to go back and I don't really know if I want to. It got a bit cliquey too, but then I suppose most churches do.

I love that openness. The last Church I attended, would never have allowed that. Lot's of hierarchy and they WILL NOT be questioned...I learned the hard way when one Elder was teaching Sunday School and I (gulp) asked a question...he did not like the question so brushed me off, rudely at that. He was teaching on end times. I brought up something about the Anti Christ possibly being Rome. I was still fairly new there so, I knew to not do that again.
I am back home to my old Church since Aug. of last year and, I cannot tell you what a breath of fresh air it is. The atmosphere is full of warmth. There are many prayer folk around, any time you want to pray with them...I have several times and the last one came to tears in her prayer for my request. I am so blessed that they opened a 4th campus near me ♥ I can understand that it would be hard to go back after experiencing Church as it was meant to be. So, that said...stay where you are unless God DOES put a local Body available to you...BUT...only if you would want to ♥

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm of the mind that churches should only be a big as the pastor or pastors or elders or can personally know each of the members, so they can properly serve them. I think that churches should have several elders, and just like a cell divides, some of those elders and some of those members form a new church.

I think it's that size that makes things so difficult, although only because it's easier for the unsaved, and the immature/unlearned believers to have a greater impact.

I hope you can find somewhere to fellowship and be fed!

Much love!

B

Butterfly

Yes, I agree that if you have a weak spot then you would need to avoid anywhere that may act as a means of temptation. For many years that church was just fine and I did not question, or even notice the legalist ways, it was when I started to grow and study the word and reach different conclusions about things that I started to notice things that I didn't feel were quite right. The congregation was quite elderly, so I think, for many, it was how they were brought up- many were also single and didn't have to consider anyone at home. They were just set In there ways X
I will say hi to my brother tomorrow, he got back here this afternoon, but had driven for eight hours. So they went into town and settled down early.xx

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm of the mind that churches should only be a big as the pastor or pastors or elders or can personally know each of the members, so they can properly serve them. I think that churches should have several elders, and just like a cell divides, some of those elders and some of those members form a new church.

I think it's that size that makes things so difficult, although only because it's easier for the unsaved, and the immature/unlearned believers to have a greater impact.

Much love!
It's interesting that when feeding the multitude the people were seated in numbers of 50....(no rule there, but manageable...)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

I agree about the size of the Church Body. It makes a difference in many ways, good and bad.

Reactions: Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For many years that church was just fine and I did not question, or even notice the legalist ways, it was when I started to grow and study the word and reach different conclusions about things that I started to notice things that I didn't feel were quite right.
It shows we need to keep searching the Scriptures for ourselves, right?

Reactions: Nancy