John 13:35

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

Butterfly

It shows we need to keep searching the Scriptures for ourselves, right?
Definately - not just follow the crowd , test things.
It also means that we will be in different places of awareness with one another at times, that group of people don't want to change their ways, but they were still my brothers and sisters - but the reality for me was that I wanted to grow and change and I just couldn't do it within that Christian environment, so I had to move on..........

Reactions: Pearl and Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
his afternoon, but had driven for eight hours. So they went into town and settled down early.xx[/QUOTE]
Yes, I agree that if you have a weak spot then you would need to avoid anywhere that may act as a means of temptation. For many years that church was just fine and I did not question, or even notice the legalist ways, it was when I started to grow and study the word and reach different conclusions about things that I started to notice things that I didn't feel were quite right. The congregation was quite elderly, so I think, for many, it was how they were brought up- many were also single and didn't have to consider anyone at home. They were just set In there ways X
I will say hi to my brother tomorrow, he got back here this afternoon, but had driven for eight hours. So they went into town and settled down early.xx

Sry, had to leave post this for a bit.
Yes...there are many elderly in my last Church and, many generations of family there. They are most def. set in their ways, lol. And then the rest of this small Church consists of young mothers and children...always busy...etc. - especially if they have husbands. Then, ya got the tweeners (lol) like myself; who do not have these things in common with them and surely did feel shunned there, every Sunday for 2 plus years. There were very few whom I came connected to but, not outside the Church. I was close to the Assoc. Pastor's wife when they first came there, from California...their kids LOVE the snow, lol. And I LOVED her husband also, on site! I didn't believe in their doctrine of salvation but, I loved their spirit and kindness. ♥
h

Reactions: Butterfly

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When we first joined our church that was exactly how they tried to live their lives, as a community of believers <snip> when we went to the meetings on a Sunday we never knew what time we'd get home or whose house we'd end up being invited to for our meal or who would be coming back with us. It was truly wonderful but sadly it didn't last.

Our group too Pat. Same story...And also like that in all the related group that we knew in different towns.

So, why, what happened?

Was it just a time and season...it was happening like that all over England.
70's right?

Was it 'a wave' of the Spirit just for that time?

We left for Canada at that time.. and as you now, we did move into Community living together. 70 of us...over a period of 10 yrs.

That wave came, and it went...I wish my grandchildren could have lived those days and seen the thing that God did...as Nancy says "Sigh "

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm of the mind that churches should only be a big as the pastor or pastors or elders or can personally know each of the members, so they can properly serve them. I think that churches should have several elders, and just like a cell divides, some of those elders and some of those members form a new church.

I think it's that size that makes things so difficult, although only because it's easier for the unsaved, and the immature/unlearned believers to have a greater impact.

I hope you can find somewhere to fellowship and be fed!

Much love!
There were four elders when we joined in the early eighties. And they all had day jobs before the church could support them. The church had started meeting in people's homes, with like-minded Christians who were dissatisfied with what they were being taught in the traditional churches and were a mix of every denomination you can think of. They eventually came under the banner of Bryn Jones and the Restoration movement and bought a large building and grew into it. Much later there was an acrimonious split with that group and that's when the trouble started. Then eventually just when we thought our leader was taking us the right way with vision and brilliant preaching he died and instead of appointing another leadership team before he went there was just one man who carried on alone and to my mind didn't seem to involve the Holy Spirit. Nothing is ever perfect for long.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our group too Pat. Same story...And also like that in all the related group that we knew in different towns.

So, why, what happened?

Was it just a time and season...it was happening like that all over England.
70's right?

Was it 'a wave' of the Spirit just for that time?

We left for Canada at that time.. and as you now, we did move into Community living together. 70 of us...over a period of 10 yrs.

That wave came, and it went...I wish my grandchildren could have lived those days and seen the thing that God did...as Nancy says "Sigh "
It was a good time Helen. The Charismatic movement is probably still much maligned but if you were part of it it was wonderful. It started on a small scale at our Church of England church but was thwarted by the traditionalist churchgoers who thought it was all nonsense - another reason we left.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It was a good time Helen. The Charismatic movement is probably still much maligned but if you were part of it it was wonderful. It started on a small scale at our Church of England church but was thwarted by the traditionalist churchgoers who thought it was all nonsense - another reason we left.

The older I get I think I stand against the traditionalists and legalist more than anything else. They put weights on peoples shoulders which God does not put on.
It derails more Christians than anything else...I do believe it will be one of the "sins against the church" that will be judged the hardest.

And some wonder why we have a lukewarm , feeble church today which can't blow the fuzz off of a dandelion.
I have never seen so many on this site ever before.

Reactions: Pearl and Nancy
D

Dave L

The older I get I think I stand against the traditionalists and legalist more than anything else. They put weights on peoples shoulders which God does not put on.
It derails more Christians than anything else...I do believe it will be one of the "sins against the church" that will be judged the hardest.

And some wonder why we have a lukewarm , feeble church today which can't blow the fuzz off of a dandelion.
The problem is, truth is intolerant. And confused with legalism. But truth frees us from legalism.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Abso-bloomin-lutely. I am free in Christ and have no intention of getting caught up in tradition and legalism ever again. The Church of Jesus Christ should be a vibrant and exciting place to be but instead it comes across as judgemental and wishy-washy.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rollo where on earth have you been all my life...
So glad to see you..PLEASE stay around...please don't run off again.

I know, does he not realize he has broken our hearts??! Does he not care about us anymore? :(

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There were four elders when we joined in the early eighties. And they all had day jobs before the church could support them. The church had started meeting in people's homes, with like-minded Christians who were dissatisfied with what they were being taught in the traditional churches and were a mix of every denomination you can think of. They eventually came under the banner of Bryn Jones and the Restoration movement and bought a large building and grew into it. Much later there was an acrimonious split with that group and that's when the trouble started. Then eventually just when we thought our leader was taking us the right way with vision and brilliant preaching he died and instead of appointing another leadership team before he went there was just one man who carried on alone and to my mind didn't seem to involve the Holy Spirit. Nothing is ever perfect for long.

We saw that happen with Calvary Chapel Costa Mesa. There was a single "senior pastor", and no clear succession. So it turned first into conflict, and now something very different from what it was.

Much love!

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Wafer

May 16, 2019
Yuma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:25-37 King James Version (KJV)
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Your average Christian has no idea what love is, and is careful to avoid various interpretations that involve taking off his pants. The concept is clearly defined in the bible, but Christians as a rule don't read the bible. Love is when you are aware of a need and you take care of it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 10:25-37 King James Version (KJV)
25 And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?

27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?

30 And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead.

31 And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.

32 And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side.

33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him,

34 And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.

35 And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?

37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

Your average Christian has no idea what love is, and is careful to avoid various interpretations that involve taking off his pants. The concept is clearly defined in the bible, but Christians as a rule don't read the bible. Love is when you are aware of a need and you take care of it.
To love is a verb, a doing word. And can be thought of as 'to care' I think.

Reactions: Nancy

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does this look like to you, in action.

"John 13:35 “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.”

In my perspective;
Love IS doing what is Best for the other, regardless of the Consequences.

John 13:35 Is specific about disciples of Jesus Helping disciples of Jesus when they are in need of a Helping hand....AND visible, for "ALL" men (disciple or not) to Observe how the "network" (so to speak), of disciples In Christ Operate amongst themselves, and perhaps themselves desire to become a part of such (network).

Glory to God,
Taken