Just heard about the rosary....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hmm - so does that mean we need to re-evaluate the canon of scripture too? How about the Creeds of the Early Church? Doctrine of the Incarnation? Church on Sunday? Sola Scriptura?

And, how often are we supposed to re-evaluated them?

Whatever you want. But definitely reconsider the rosary and the fact that it is a mere recitation (think: "vain repetitions")

Matthew 6:7 (NLV)

[sup]7[/sup] When you pray, do not say the same thing over and over again making long prayers like the people who do not know God. They think they are heard because their prayers are long.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How To Pray The Rosary - The purpose of the Rosary is to help keep in memory certain principal events or mysteries in the history of our salvation, and to thank and praise God for them. There are twenty mysteries reflected upon in the Rosary, and these are divided into the five JOYFUL MYSTERIES, the five LUMINOUS MYSTERIES, the five SORROWFUL MYSTERIES, and the five GLORIOUS MYSTERIES.
  1. Make the Sign of the Cross and say the "Apostles' Creed."
  2. Say the "Our Father."
  3. Say three "Hail Marys."
  4. Say the "Glory be to the Father."
  5. Announce the First Mystery; then say the "Our Father."
  6. Say ten "Hail Marys," while meditating on the Mystery.
  7. Say the "Glory be to the Father."
  8. Announce the Second Mystery; then say the "Our Father." Repeat 6 and 7 and continue with Third, Fourth and Fifth Mysteries in the same manner.
Those who pray the Rosary regularly would do well to be enrolled in the Confraternity to gain extra spiritual benefits for each Rosary they pray.

After the Rosary:
HAIL, HOLY QUEEN, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary!​
V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.​
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.​
Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen.
After each decade say the following prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima: "O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy."
As suggested by the Pope John Paul II the Joyful mysteries are said on Monday and Saturday, the Luminous on Thursday, the Sorrowful on Tuesday and Friday, and the Glorious on Wednesday and Sunday (with this exception: Sundays of Christmas season - The Joyful; Sundays of Lent - Sorrowful)

SOME THOUGHTS FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION.

The scriptures do not indicate the use of a rosary is needed.

The scriptures do not say that Mary is the queen of heaven.

We are not told to say 10 Hail Mary’s when praying

Gain extra spiritual benefits when they pray the rosary????? Who is kidding who?

Mary, our life our hope….total blasphemy.

A dead woman cannot show us Jesus.

A dead woman cannot pray for us.

The Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima….Mary had several children so she was not a virgin.

As for praying certain things on certain days….where does it say that in scripture?

What does the scripture say about "heaping up EMPTY phrases..."?

I guess it is a case of you pays your money and take your choice. Do what the scripture teaches or do what the RC church teach which is not in scripture.

I feel sorry for RCs when they find out that all the paraphernalia and ritual that has been imposed by the RC church on them is totally unnecessary.

I only know one thing and that is Christ crucified, dead and buried and risen again and ascended into heaven. My rosary is faith in the word of God. My ritual is to obey the word of God.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Whatever you want. But definitely reconsider the rosary and the fact that it is a mere recitation (think: "vain repetitions")

Matthew 6:7 (NLV)

[sup]7[/sup] When you pray, do not say the same thing over and over again making long prayers like the people who do not know God. They think they are heard because their prayers are long.

Just as vain and repetitious as most worship songs sung in church every Sunday, I suppose.

I think one of the biggest problems I keep bumping into is that Church Tradition and worship and the very interpretation of the scripture cannot be separated. Sort of like faith and works.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just as vain and repetitious as most worship songs sung in church every Sunday, I suppose.

I think one of the biggest problems I keep bumping into is that Church Tradition and worship and the very interpretation of the scripture cannot be separated. Sort of like faith and works.

If it is not taught in scripture, then God doesn't require it, and if one is doing it and on top of that is saying it is required, it is not of God.

As for worship, "Holy, Holy, Holy" is repetitious and God never tires of hearing it.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is not taught in scripture, then God doesn't require it, and if one is doing it and on top of that is saying it is required, it is not of God.

As for worship, "Holy, Holy, Holy" is repetitious and God never tires of hearing it.

The Rosary is a devotion - same as singing worship songs; neither are required. God doesn't grow tired of repetition - frankly, every word we say has been repeated countless times. However, He does seem to dislike people who pray for their own glorification rather than His.

Also, the hail Mary is mostly scripture. The meditations are mostly scripture, as well.

The Psalms have been prayer over and over again for centuries.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
"...HAIL, HOLY QUEEN, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary! V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen."

The rosary is not a mere devotion. It is a formulaic recitation of prayer invoked to Mary. It is all about her, which smacks of idolatrous worship, and rather than excuse it, we need to run as far away from anything tinged with idolatry, lest we fall into dangerous compromise.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Mary is not dead.
Mary is the one that 'all will call the blessed.'
Satan tries to take Mary out of the picture and when he does it's to try destroy Jesus Christ as it's an other little trick of his.
I use to be against the RC Mary stuff to as it made me angry for years but i know now just who she is now and it's not the rubbish that some people think at all.
The virgin point is mainly about being pure! of sin, it's not just what some grubby narrow minded low life thinks point of view at all. she was a virgin after Jesus was born to ? so it not really so much about what a stupid gruby brat thinks it is at all.
7 children is not right at all. it's only one child of marys with his 'step' brothers and sisters and that's a fact.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"...HAIL, HOLY QUEEN, Mother of Mercy, our life, our sweetness and our hope! To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve; to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary! V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray. O GOD, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech Thee, that meditating upon these mysteries of the Most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ Our Lord. Amen."

The rosary is not a mere devotion. It is a formulaic recitation of prayer invoked to Mary. It is all about her, which smacks of idolatrous worship, and rather than excuse it, we need to run as far away from anything tinged with idolatry, lest we fall into dangerous compromise.

I am wondering why you chose to only post the concluding prayer of the Rosary?

Are you purposely trying to mislead people by not talking about the Apostle's Creed, the Lord's Prayer? The Glory Be to the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit? The Hail Mary, which is taken from scripture? How about the fact that we are asking Mary to pray FOR US? How is asking Mary to pray for us/with us all about her?

Are you intentionally telling 1/8 of the prayer in order to leave out the main reason for praying the Rosary? A meditation on the birth, life/ministry, death/resurrection, and glorification of Jesus and deification of humanity?

What are you trying to hide, LS?

Reactions: Angelina

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am wondering why you chose to only post the concluding prayer of the Rosary?

Are you purposely trying to mislead people by not talking about the Apostle's Creed, the Lord's Prayer? The Glory Be to the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit? The Hail Mary, which is taken from scripture? How about the fact that we are asking Mary to pray FOR US? How is asking Mary to pray for us/with us all about her?

Are you intentionally telling 1/8 of the prayer in order to leave out the main reason for praying the Rosary? A meditation on the birth, life/ministry, death/resurrection, and glorification of Jesus and deification of humanity?

What are you trying to hide, LS?

Reciting a creed has no power, and reciting the Lord's Prayer is not its function. Jesus laid down a pattern for us to pray WITH OUR OWN WORDS to God---He didn't give us a prayer to copy by rote. The 'Hail Mary' is religious speech that has no power, and neither does asking a dead woman for anything. So...all that was omitted was more vain and superfluous repetition.

God wants to hear from us, but He wants us to speak with our hearts and our own words, and not form. That is what happens in an intimate relationship.

Mary is not dead.
Mary is the one that 'all will call the blessed.'
Satan tries to take Mary out of the picture and when he does it's to try destroy Jesus Christ as it's an other little trick of his.
I use to be against the RC Mary stuff to as it made me angry for years but i know now just who she is now and it's not the rubbish that some people think at all.
The virgin point is mainly about being pure! of sin, it's not just what some grubby narrow minded low life thinks point of view at all. she was a virgin after Jesus was born to ? so it not really so much about what a stupid gruby brat thinks it is at all.
7 children is not right at all. it's only one child of marys with his 'step' brothers and sisters and that's a fact.

Yes, Mary is as dead as anyone who is dead. Her spirit is with Jesus, her Saviour, just as my own mother has died and is with Jesus her Saviour and Lord. I don't talk to my mother as she doesn't hear me, and I know that talking to her or praying to her is an idolatrous act, circumventing my Mediator, Jesus, and I would never sin aganst Him in that way.

Satan doesn't try to take Mary out of any picture. In fact, he has been successful in elevating her beyond where she belongs---into the actual Godhead for many people. That is one of his most glaring deceptions.

If you would bother to read the bible, you would see that Mary did not remain a virgin after Jesus was born. The bible records that Joseph and Mary had sexual relations after Jesus was born and it also says Jesus was her firstborn, and that He had brothers. We should let that be for another thread discussion, however.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Just because Jesus literaly went to heaven doesn't mean that he doesn't hear our prayers. Mary went to heaven.

Jesus is God. It is He who hears our prayers. It's His JOB. Mary is not God, but a woman like any other woman on the face of the Earth. She cannot hear prayers, nor has she any powers above that of any other redeemed human spirit in heaven. He is the Redeemer. We are the redeemed.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reciting a creed has no power, and reciting the Lord's Prayer is not its function. Jesus laid down a pattern for us to pray WITH OUR OWN WORDS to God---He didn't give us a prayer to copy by rote. The 'Hail Mary' is religious speech that has no power, and neither does asking a dead woman for anything. So...all that was omitted was more vain and superfluous repetition.

God wants to hear from us, but He wants us to speak with our hearts and our own words, and not form. That is what happens in an intimate relationship.

Yes, Mary is as dead as anyone who is dead. Her spirit is with Jesus, her Saviour, just as my own mother has died and is with Jesus her Saviour and Lord. I don't talk to my mother as she doesn't hear me, and I know that talking to her or praying to her is an idolatrous act, circumventing my Mediator, Jesus, and I would never sin aganst Him in that way.

Satan doesn't try to take Mary out of any picture. In fact, he has been successful in elevating her beyond where she belongs---into the actual Godhead for many people. That is one of his most glaring deceptions.

If you would bother to read the bible, you would see that Mary did not remain a virgin after Jesus was born. The bible records that Joseph and Mary had sexual relations after Jesus was born and it also says Jesus was her firstborn, and that He had brothers. We should let that be for another thread discussion, however.

Why do you hold such a dim view of the members of the Body of Christ? I do not think Christ intends to marry a corpse - Mark, rightly recorded Jesus in this scripture from his gospel:

Mark 12:27
He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!

There is absolutely no reason to believe that people in heaven - part of the Body of Christ - the same body that Paul rightly tells us cannot be separated from the love of Christ - are prohibited from listening to our prayers.

Why have you failed to recognize and comment on the Transfiguration? Was Jesus 'summoning' Moses?

Jesus is God. It is He who hears our prayers. It's His JOB. Mary is not God, but a woman like any other woman on the face of the Earth. She cannot hear prayers, nor has she any powers above that of any other redeemed human spirit in heaven. He is the Redeemer. We are the redeemed.

It's His JOB? Really?! According to? I thought God hears our prayers because He loves us.......just like the rest of the Body of Christ. Mary is certainly not God.....but she has been redeemed and transformed - the early church called it deification - just like all members of the Body.

Not sure how you decided what a redeemed creation can and cannot do in heaven....do you have any verses to prove your claims?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I love the Body of Christ--my dear brothers and sisters! I know not all of us see eye to eye, but we are not to check our minds and hearts at the door once we receive Jesus as our personal Saviour. He instructs us to study the word to show ourselves approved, and in rightly understanding the word. He doesn't say adhere to a particular church group for all instruction. The scriptures are our source of knowledge through which Holy Spirit speaks to us. The Church is all believers and we are here to support and to encourage and to correct each other, training each other in the word and in ministry, spurring one another on to go deeper and deeper in our faith.

Yes, it is Jesus' job to be our Mediator. It is to Him alone and in whose name alone we pray, and have full access to the Father. No human being is deified--no one. Unless God tells us to plead with and pray to dead people in heaven by name, one is actually sinning by ignoring and bypassing Jesus. There is no other name uin heaven or under heaven by which we must address the Lord God.

Matthew 6:9
Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.

Hebrews 13:15
Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Lively Stone clearly you are off track. the RC do not elevate Mary above Christ at all it's no were close to it in truth. but she does have a position and Satan will use ever opportunity to brush her out of the way.
Without Mary there would be no Christ as the Bible does explain why she said YES!
Sadly you are reading with worldly eyes not in the Spirit.
Satan has a hard time trying to destroy the truth of Christ and one of them is Mary that he has to destroy. then he can go about leading you astray with who Jesus Christ truly is.
Satan is a thief he will rob you with a bit of a diddle hear and a bit of a diddle their until you have lost track of the true foundations, there by setting you up for a lie.

I did not know who Mary really was when i was a protestant just like you i would grumble about ranting and raving about the RC nonsense until i looked deeply into what they were truly saying. then i cast aside all the stupid prejudice rubbish i had been lead to believe by poor deluded fools.
Mary took up the challenge against that bastard Satan. Hail Mary ! She is a Mother of all true Christians, praise the Lord !

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love the Body of Christ--my dear brothers and sisters! I know not all of us see eye to eye, but we are not to check our minds and hearts at the door once we receive Jesus as our personal Saviour. He instructs us to study the word to show ourselves approved, and in rightly understanding the word. He doesn't say adhere to a particular church group for all instruction. The scriptures are our source of knowledge through which Holy Spirit speaks to us. The Church is all believers and we are here to support and to encourage and to correct each other, training each other in the word and in ministry, spurring one another on to go deeper and deeper in our faith.

Yes, it is Jesus' job to be our Mediator. It is to Him alone and in whose name alone we pray, and have full access to the Father. No human being is deified--no one. Unless God tells us to plead with and pray to dead people in heaven by name, one is actually sinning by ignoring and bypassing Jesus. There is no other name uin heaven or under heaven by which we must address the Lord God.

Matthew 6:9
Pray like this: Our Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy.

Hebrews 13:15
Therefore, let us offer through Jesus a continual sacrifice of praise to God, proclaiming our allegiance to his name.

1 Timothy 2:5
For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus.

Since when is hearing prayers the same a being a Mediator? All educated Catholics know that Jesus is the only way to the Father, but there is more than one way to Jesus! Asking for prayers from Christian friends and family is fine with Protestants and Catholics - we know they are not mediating for us. Why do you think that Jesus would reject prayers from His mother or the rest of His Body?

Yes we do have free access to the Father - so do prayer groups and praying congregations and the entire Host of Heaven. Not even death separates us from the love of God! Amen!

It seems to me that you may be walking on egg shells around God? He is not Borderline or Narcissistic - He is not going to smite us like an Almighty Smiter! God loves us and wants to be in relationship with His Body. We agree that Jesus conquered death.....why does death become an issue only when it appears to divide His Body? Jesus even said that a Kingdom that is divided cannot stand and He was talking about a spiritual kingdom! So do you believe He would let the Kingdom of God be divided?

I am sorry you do not like the early church term for transformation - deification. Whether you like it or not, we will be transformed and as CS Lewis says in Weight of Glory - if we saw a transformed, redeemed person, we would be tempted to fall down and worship because of the glory of God reflected perfectly in their being. So call it what you will.

Reactions: aspen

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Gal 4:31 Who is the free woman in virtue of the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free. ?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, incomplete pass. :) Jerusalem is the mother of all Christians.

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. Galatians 4:26

Paul was talking about the Jewish religion being the mother of all Christians. Funny, Mary was not only a Jew, but the first Christian.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
Gal 4:31 Who is the free woman in virtue of the freedom wherewith Christ has made us free. ?

Allegory referring to true Jerusalem. Hagar corresponds to Jerusalem below, Sarah corresponds to Jerusalem above. Sarah does not, cannot, ever make us free.

Mary took up the challenge against that bastard Satan. Hail Mary ! She is a Mother of all true Christians, praise the Lord !

I just looked again at what you said and noticed you said A mother (not THE mother). I can actually agree with that. My apologies.