Keep The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There has been a lot of controversy about whether the Sabbath is still to be observed in modern times. Most christians fall on the pretext of Colossians 2:16-18 and Romans 14:5 thus to assume the Sabbath is no longer needed.

I believe observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants. It brings us closer to the Lord and to our family's. It gives us an eternal perspective and spiritual strength. The Sabbath also allows us to rest from our physical labors, to replenish our focus on the week ahead.

I believe the Sabbath is not a ceremonial law but moral law set in concrete alongside thow shall not murder, steal or commit adultery,

Be careful of the Devil, and choose wise your interpretation!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sabbath keeping with all it's rules and regulations, was part of a covenant with Israel that is not binding on the body of Christ/Christians under the new covenant.

*Colossians 2:16 - Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day 17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Even when sabbatarians set out to worship on the sabbath, are they truly "keeping the sabbath?" To "keep the sabbath" as it was required in the Old Testament under the old covenant of law would involve compliance with specific regulations (Exodus 16:23; 35:3; Leviticus 23:32; Jeremiah 17:21) that were strictly enforced.

If sabbath day observances are still required, so would the burnt offerings which went along with them (Leviticus 19:30; 23:2-3; Numbers 28:1-10; 29:39-40; I Chronicles. 23:30-31; II Chronicles 31:2-4; Isaiah 1:13). So no kindling a fire in any of your dwellings on the sabbath. (Exodus 35:3) Every man must remain in his place on the sabbath. (Exodus 16:29) No trading. (Amos 8:5). No marketing. (Nehemiah 10:31; 13:15,19)

These were commanded by God to Israel. (Exodus 35:1)

The Word of God makes it quite clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel: "The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant. It will be a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested." (Exodus 31:16-17)

In Deuteronomy 5, Moses restates the Ten Commandments to the next generation of Israelites. Here, after commanding sabbath observance in verses 12–14, Moses gives the reason the sabbath was given to the nation Israel: "Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and that the Lord your God brought you out of there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the Lord your God has commanded you to observe the Sabbath day." (Deuteronomy 5:15)

If the seventh day sabbath is still in affect, then why don't sabbatarians seek to obey ALL that the LORD commanded? How can a person keep a certain law when he keeps only part of it?

If the Sabbath day laws were still in effect today, then according to Exodus 31:12-18; 35:1-3; and Numbers 15:32-36, anyone who profaned the sabbath was put to death and any person who does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from his people.

Now who is going to enforce that? The Jewish synagogue? The Seventh day Adventist church or perhaps the Government? Since we do not live under a theocratic state as ancient Israel did under the old covenant of law, no sabbatarian can live consistently under these Mosaic regulations.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a lot of controversy about whether the Sabbath is still to be observed in modern times. Most christians fall on the pretext of Colossians 2:16-18 and Romans 14:5 thus to assume the Sabbath is no longer needed.

I believe observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants. It brings us closer to the Lord and to our family's. It gives us an eternal perspective and spiritual strength. The Sabbath also allows us to rest from our physical labors, to replenish our focus on the week ahead.

I believe the Sabbath is not a ceremonial law but moral law set in concrete alongside thow shall not murder, steal or commit adultery,

Be careful of the Devil, and choose wise your interpretation!
Do you keep all 613 Laws?

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 8 We are to walk and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Romans 6:14
For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

1 Corinthians 9:20
To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.

Galatians 3:10
The Righteous Shall Live by Faith
For all who rely on works of the law are under a curse; for it is written, “Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the Book of the Law, and do them.”

Galatians 5:18
But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Brother, Friend, I am sure you keep the laws of G_d out of Love for him.

Reactions: APAK

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No Sabbath commands in the NT! Christians are not under the Law of Moses!

Exodus 31
Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
observing the Sabbath shows our commitment to honor and worship God and keep our covenants.

“He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you but to do justice and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God?” (Micah 6:8)

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your responses. However it seems your interpretation of scripture is inaccurate. The sabbath is a moral law along with the other nine commandments. Shall we then say it is no longer required to not commit adultery? or is it now permissible to steal? or is it now ok to commit murder as long as it's fine with you? People steal, murder and commit adultery all the time in todays world but are not stoned to death as the justice system has changed, but there are still severe penalties for such crimes. Where in the whole of the New Testament does it say (the sabbath no longer needs to be observed?) There is a big difference between ceremonial law which was a temporary instruction from GOD as opposed to the moral law being for all time, like the sun will always shine yellow and the moon silver, it doesn't change.

You said and I quote, (the Word of God makes it quite clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel, The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.) Are we therefore as gentiles not the offspring of Abraham? As the Jews were circumcised as a sign they belong to GOD, have we also as gentiles not been circumcised being marked and sealed with the Holy Spirit as a sign that we also belong to GOD? Therefore as the sabbath is for the Jew, so should it be for the gentile for all generations to come as a lasting covenant. The LORD Jesus Christ came to strengthen the law, not to abolish it. Yes those in Christ are no longer under the law but under grace, but the sabbath is a moral law, a continuum.

Last edited:

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your responses. However it seems your interpretation of scripture is inaccurate. The sabbath is a moral law along with the other nine commandments. Shall we then say it is no longer required to not commit adultery? or is it now permissible to steal? or is it now ok to commit murder as long as it's fine with you? People steal, murder and commit adultery all the time in todays world but are not stoned to death as the justice system has changed, but there are still severe penalties for such crimes. Where in the whole of the New Testament does it say (the sabbath no longer needs to be observed?) There is a big difference between ceremonial law which was a temporary instruction from GOD as opposed to the and moral law being for all time, like the sun will always shine yellow and the moon silver, it doesn't change.

You said and I quote, (the Word of God makes it quite clear that sabbath observance was a sign between God and Israel, The Israelites are to observe the Sabbath, celebrating it for the generations to come as a lasting covenant.) Are we therefore as gentiles not the offspring of Abraham? As the Jews were circumcised as a sign they belong to GOD, have we also as gentiles not been circumcised being marked and sealed with the Holy Spirit as a sign that we also belong to GOD? Therefore as the sabbath is for the Jew, so should it be for the gentile for all generations to come as a lasting covenant. The LORD Jesus Christ came to strengthen the law, not to abolish it. Yes those in Christ are no longer under the law but under grace, but the sabbath is a moral law, a continuum.
Have you or your family ever worked weekends?

Exodus 31
Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death.

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
My God says to don't add to or take away from His word. Yeshua said my doctrine is not my own but it is Him who sent me. Hmmm wonder who sent Him?

The Sabbath is a commandment not a suggestion. Preachers like to promote the 10 Commandments but get really uncomfortable with that 4th commandment. Sorry friend we don't get to pick and choose. I don't know about you but I am bought with a price "The Blood of Yeshua Our Messiah" my life is not my own. The ones that kick against the goads, you will find that they have pride and do not want to yield and submit to the God of our Bibles ways. These ways don't change. By the way the God of our Bibles is the God of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The same God who chose to manifest Himself in the flesh, by the Son of Man Yeshua (Jesus) our Messiah, who is of the Tribe of Judah meaning (A Jew). From the House of David. YES our Messiah manifested as a JEW!!!

God is restoring the old ways and the old paths once again. Are you going to let pride, the doctrines of men (Denominations) and the doctrine of Demons inspire your life? The Doctrines of Demons is Anti-Semitism, Replacement Theology and the misrepresented, misunderstood message of Grace. Grace has been from the Garden of Eden it is not a New Testament doctrine.

Yahweh may you continue to wake people up and shake them out of their religious fogs, hard hearts and stiff necks. Come Ruach Qadesh (Holy Spirit) come. Break people, do what ever you need to do to smash the walls and lies of religion and demonic strongholds.

Blessing and Shalom

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My God says to don't add to or take away from His word. Yeshua said my doctrine is not my own but it is Him who sent me. Hmmm wonder who sent Him?

The Sabbath is a commandment not a suggestion. Preachers like to promote the 10 Commandments but get really uncomfortable with that 4th commandment. Sorry friend we don't get to pick and choose. I don't know about you but I am bought with a price "The Blood of Yeshua Our Messiah" my life is not my own. The ones that kick against the goads, you will find that they have pride and do not want to yield and submit to the God of our Bibles ways. These ways don't change. By the way the God of our Bibles is the God of Israel, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The same God who chose to manifest Himself in the flesh, by the Son of Man Yeshua (Jesus) our Messiah, who is of the Tribe of Judah meaning (A Jew). From the House of David. YES our Messiah manifested as a JEW!!!

God is restoring the old ways and the old paths once again. Are you going to let pride, the doctrines of men (Denominations) and the doctrine of Demons inspire your life? The Doctrines of Demons is Anti-Semitism, Replacement Theology and the misrepresented, misunderstood message of Grace. Grace has been from the Garden of Eden it is not a New Testament doctrine.

Yahweh may you continue to wake people up and shake them out of their religious fogs, hard hearts and stiff necks. Come Ruach Qadesh (Holy Spirit) come. Break people, do what ever you need to do to smash the walls and lies of religion and demonic strongholds.

Blessing and Shalom
Are you saying that we should execute gays and adulterers as Moses COMMANDED? I don't think we have enough body bags.

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No Sabbath commands in the NT! None.
Where did Yeshua, Paul, Peter, James teach? All through Acts and Paul's letters he went to the synagogues and taught. Yeshua went into the synagogues and taught and healed. Hmmm when do you go to synagogues? Ohhhh pick me pick me I know. ON THE SABBATH DAY THE SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK. They did not meet on SUNDAY for Sabbath. That was changed centuries later by Constantine who mixed paganism with the so called Christianity of the early church fathers who were Anti-Semitic!!! Even the Catholic Church admit in their charter that Sunday is not the Sabbath day and mock those who think Sunday is the Sabbath Day.

The NT plainly says they kept Sabbath, which I just explained. Put it this way. Do you need to tell an American what day the 4th of July is? Or what day the Pagan Day of the Christmas is? No you do not because it is assumed you know. You don't need to tell Jews and Hebrews when the Sabbath day is. It is assumed that they know. Paul reveals this in the following text.

NKJ 1 Thessalonians 5:1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.

The word season in the above verse is directly connected to the Feasts of Yahweh found in Leviticus 23. Which the 1st of Yahweh's feasts (Not Jewish) being the Sabbath Day. Paul does need to explain to them about the feasts of Yahweh WHY? Because they already keep them and are doing them. The Gentiles were coming into the synagogues who met on The Seventh Day Sabbath. This is what Acts Chapter 15 is all about. Then they will learn about Moses (The Torah) from then on when they go every Sabbath and hear the scriptures being read and taught.

Read your Bible Jack!!! It has to be understood from the Hebrew culture and language as all the author's were in case you didn't know HEBREWS. Paul is from the Tribe of Benjamin. His native tongue was Hebrew. Read about in Acts. I challenge you Jack to question the man-made doctrines you hold onto as a security blanky!!! The Bereans also used the scriptures to confirm what Paul was teaching. The only scriptures the Bereans had were the Hebrew scriptures which is what we call the OT. The NT was not compiled into a "Testament" some 3 - 4 hundred years later.

Yeshua said man shall not live by bread alone but by every word of Yahweh. A direct quote from Deuteronomy you know the OT!!! When He said this there was no new Testament. So what was the word of Yahweh that we should all live by then? Yep the OT and its principle which is then supported in the NT. He who has ears to hear let them hear!!!

Blessings and Shalom

Last edited:
  • Haha

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did Yeshua, Paul, Peter, James teach? All through Acts and Paul's letters he went to the synagogues and taught. Yeshua went into the synagogues and taught and healed. Hmmm when do you go to synagogues? Ohhhh pick me pick me I know. ON THE SABBATH DAY THE SEVENTH DAY OF THE WEEK.
They were in transition. They didn't have the New Covenant. We do. How many "sinners" have you executed? Are you really saying you obey the Law of Moses?
They did not meet on SUNDAY for Sabbath. That was changed centuries later by Constantine who mixed paganism with the so called Christianity of the early church fathers who were Anti-Semitic!!! Even the Catholic Church admit in their charter that Sunday is not the Sabbath day and mock those who think Sunday is the Sabbath Day.
Luke 6
1 Now it happened on the second Sabbath after the first that He went through the grainfields. And His disciples plucked the heads of grain and ate them, rubbing them in their hands.

Why didn't Jesus stone them as Moses COMMANDED? Did Jesus sin??? Answer: He was giving us the New Covenant. NO SABBATH commands!
The NT plainly says they kept Sabbath, which I just explained. Put it this way. Do you need to tell an American what day the 4th of July is? Or what day the Pagan Day of the Christmas is? No you do not because it is assumed you know. You don't need to tell Jews and Hebrews when the Sabbath day is. It is assumed that they know. Paul reveals this in the following text.

NKJ 1 Thessalonians 5:1 But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you.

The word season in the above verse is directly connected to the Feasts of Yahweh found in Leviticus 23. Which the 1st of Yahweh's feasts (Not Jewish) being the Sabbath Day. Paul does need to explain to them about the feasts of Yahweh WHY? Because they already keep them and are doing them. The Gentiles were coming into the synagogues who met on The Seventh Dat Sabbath. This is what Acts Chapter 15 is all about. Then they will learn about Moses (The Torah) from then on when they go every Sabbath and hear the scriptures being read and taught.

Read your Bible Jack!!! It has to be understood from the Hebrew culture and language as all the author's were in case you didn't know HEBREWS. Paul is from the Tribe of Benjamin. His native tongue was Hebrew. Read about in Acts. I challenge you Jack to question the man-made doctrines you hold onto as a security blanky!!! The Bereans also used the scriptures to confirm what Paul was teaching. The only scriptures the Bereans had were the Hebrew scriptures which is what we call the OT. The NT was not compiled into a "Testament" some 3 - 4 hundred years later.

Yeshua said man shall not live by bread alone but by every word of Yahweh. A direct quote from Deuteronomy you know the OT!!! When He said this there was no new Testament. So what was the word of Yahweh that we should all live by then? Yep the OT and its principle which is then supported in the NT. He who has ears to hear let them hear!!!

Blessings and Shalom
Are you Christian? There are ZERO Sabbath commands in the NT. Do you obey Moses? I think it would be in the news if you obey Moses by executing gays, those who work on weekends and adulterers. Stick with the NT since you don't obey the Law of Moses.

Last edited:

Reba

Feb 12, 2020
Northern Californi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your responses. However it seems your interpretation of scripture is inaccurate. The sabbath is a moral law along with the other nine commandments. Shall we then say it is no longer required to not commit adultery? or is it now permissible to steal? or is it now ok to commit murder as long as it's fine with you? People steal, murder and commit adultery all the time in todays world but are not stoned to death as the justice system has changed, but there are still severe penalties for such crimes. Where in the whole of the New Testament does it say (the sabbath no longer needs to be observed?) There is a big difference between ceremonial law which was a temporary instruction from GOD as opposed to the moral law being for all time, like the sun will always shine yellow and the moon silver, it doesn't change.

What is it you do or don't do on the Sabbath and what are your sabbath times?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Sabbath was instituted at Creation. It is a memorial of it. God wrote it in the commandments. Deuteronomy 9:10, which says "And the LORD delivered unto me two tables of stone written with the finger of God;

Did God mess up so bad that He put a ceremonial law in the moral ones? Of course not!

Why does Isaiah 66:22-23 talk about worshiping on the Sabbath in the World made new?
22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the Lord, so shall your seed and your name remain.
23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the Lord.

I really don't care if you guys keep Sabbath or not. You read the same Bible I do. You'll get no condemnation from me.
All that stuff is between you and the Lord.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is it you do or don't do on the Sabbath and what are your sabbath times?
Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. I Bible study more than usual, watch more sermons than usual--the time is not for secular things--no video games or doing my pleasure--Sat morning off to church-- then in the afternoon we have fellowship lunch with others at the church--we have study groups.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 3
10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

• Love

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friday sunset to Saturday sunset. I Bible study more than usual, watch more sermons than usual--the time is not for secular things--no video games or doing my pleasure--Sat morning off to church-- then in the afternoon we have fellowship lunch with others at the church--we have study groups.
I don't know of even one church that obeys Moses. Lots of people preach their version of the Sabbath but carefully avoid the parts they don't like! I guess Galatians isn't in their Bibles.

Galatians 5
1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.
3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

Galatians 3

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them."

Last edited:

Reba

Feb 12, 2020
Northern Californi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. Some sabbath keepers i know believe one should not turn on the lights etc. With this scripture in mind ---Exo_20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: their thinking is the water plant workers, linesmen are down the lines of man and maidservants ----what are your views in that regard?

Beings Sabbath keeping is 1 of the 'ten' I don't see it the same as the temple laws while believing Christ is our sabbath

Do you keep the "holy day sabbaths" also?