Keep The Sabbath ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you forgotten Jack? The thread is about the Sabbath.
No, but I've read the NT. No Sabbath commands. If fact Jesus was with His disciples while they were working on the "Sabbath". And Jesus was their Teacher.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're not part of Israel?
No. I am not an Israelite (Jewish ethnicity) who was under the law of Moses under the old covenant. Is this where you make an argument for Spiritual Israel?

You were never a slave in Egypt?
No. I was not in the group of Israelites who God delivered out of the land of Egypt in the book of Exodus. Is this where you use Egypt as a metaphor for sin/slavery in which believers were delivered from it?

Reactions: Keturah

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am not an Israelite (Jewish ethnicity) who is under the law of Moses under the old covenant. Is this where you make an argument for Spiritual Israel?

No. I was not in the group of Israelites who God delivered out of the land of Egypt in the book of Exodus. Is this where you use Egypt as a metaphor for sin/slavery in which believers have escaped from it?
I think all those metaphors apply......in fact, the whole story of Israel is to and can be used as a parallel.....a type......in captivity, in struggle, in deliverance.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Please tell me?
How to create your first post.
Thank you.

Есть кто из модераторов?
Как создать свое первое сообщение.
С уважением.
Go to the Forums tab then, on the right upper side just under your Moniker (name) will be a button 'Post Thread'. Hit it and select the forum you would like to post in.......then follow your nose :)

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Commandment number 4 of the Ten Commandments is not somehow revoked. There is disagreement on what day the Sabbath is now, but we are still commanded to remember the Sabbath Day ~ which is now the Lord's Day (Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath; Matthew 12:1–8, Mark 2:23–28 and Luke 6:1–5), the day of His resurrection, the first day of the week ~ and to keep it holy (set apart from the rest of the week).

The early church shows us this practice is ongoing; we read from Luke:

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them (preached), intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech (sermon) until midnight..." (Acts 20:7)

...and the writer of Hebrews reiterates this post-resurrection command:

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25).

Grace and peace to all!

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Commandment number 4 of the Ten Commandments is not somehow revoked. There is disagreement on what day the Sabbath is now, but we are still commanded to remember the Sabbath Day ~ which is now the Lord's Day (Jesus is the Lord of the Sabbath; Matthew 12:1–8, Mark 2:23–28 and Luke 6:1–5), the day of His resurrection, the first day of the week ~ and to keep it holy (set apart from the rest of the week).

The early church shows us this practice is ongoing; we read from Luke:

"On the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul talked with them (preached), intending to depart on the next day, and he prolonged his speech (sermon) until midnight..." (Acts 20:7)

...and the writer of Hebrews reiterates this post-resurrection command:

"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near" (Hebrews 10:24-25).

Grace and peace to all!
The 4th Commandment tells us more than just to remember the Sabbath day. It also tells us which day it is in the weekly cycle.....and surprisingly to many, there is also more information in that same commandment. You might check it. :)

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 4th Commandment tells us more than just to remember the Sabbath day. It also tells us which day it is in the weekly cycle.....and surprisingly to many, there is also more information in that same commandment. You might check it. :)
Well, I certainly agree, if this is what you are saying, that remembering the Sabbath is not merely cognitive ~ or quiet thinking; see what I did there? :) ~ in practice.

And, for sure, it is very common for folks to think to little ~ or too much ~ into Biblical things. I might be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Grace and peace to you, QT.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well, I certainly agree, if this is what you are saying, that remembering the Sabbath is not merely cognitive ~ or quiet thinking; see what I did there? :) ~ in practice.

And, for sure, it is very common for folks to think to little ~ or too much ~ into Biblical things. I might be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Grace and peace to you, QT.
The common Christian view is that the 7th day has been replaced by the 1st day yet there is no commandment of that nature even though attempts are made to justify this replacement.

There is in Christian circles an acknowledgement that the Sabbath is to be kept but they have changed the pertinent details to suit their agenda.
I doubt whether many have actually read the Commandment in it's entirety recorded in Exodus 20:8-11 (incidentally, the longest of the Commandments). It gives details of which day in the weekly cycle and why and who.

There is no justified reason for the replacement of this day in time just as there is no justified reason to alter the information given why God created this day.

One of the reasons given to justify a change is the gathering of the disciples on the first day of the week. This reason is transparently thin as gathering on any day, even regularly, does not constitute a valid reason to alter the commandment. Another is that Jesus is our rest but this is also thin because this view attempts to nullify Gods commandment by conflating our rest in Jesus with the reason God created the day and gave the Commandment in the first place, ie as a memorial of creation and the special entering of his presence enshrined in specific time.

Again, keep in mind the 7th day was specifically CREATED for a specific REASON.There was no 8th day; the cycle reverted to day number 1......to begin again. (by the way, the highlighting is to draw your attention, not to yell at you :) )

....another observation and question; the physical creation of Earth and its inhabitants was completed on the 6th day. We are told God rested afterwards but did he need to? He could have created the week by reverting to day number 1 and so create the weekly cycle. Have you wondered about that? Why create the extra day? ......and why declare it blessed and hallowed?

Reactions: Ancient

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you saying that we should execute gays and adulterers as Moses COMMANDED? I don't think we have enough body bags.
First of all, is this what Moses commanded or what Yahweh commanded? Did Moses make the Laws, which are the teachings and instructions of God or are they Yahweh's Laws? Did Moses write his own laws or did he write down what was told to him by Yahweh?

An honest answer to these questions one would say all of the above are from the God of the Bible. Yahweh. They are not Moses's laws they are Yahweh's. With that being said what does Yahweh say about homosexuals, adulterers, thieves, those who do not honour parents etc. They are God's words not Moses.

Now modern society do not obey they teachings and instructions and all one has to do is watch any evening news broadcast and see the fruit and manifestations of those choices, that God has given every human being a freewill weather they want to follow or not. Most of humanity has thus far chosen not to and so we have a world that we live into today, that is full of the above and so much more, because we have thrown out the righteous standards of God and got rid of His plumb line. Like Our Father said long ago chose this day for yourselves blessing or cursing. Would one say that our modern world is living in blessing?

The same teachings and instructions of God blesses those who guard and protect it (meaning keeping it) or it curses those who chose not to keep it which our Master describes as does Paul those who are LAWLESS!!! What does that mean in the day and context of our Master Yeshua remembering the NT was not written yet? It can only mean in context to be Lawless is not to be Lawful. Meaning one who choses to be Lawful is not Lawless. To follow Yahweh's teachings and instructions.

This does not mean one is saved by being Lawful. We all need to blood of redemption over our lives. But that does not do away with the Law. He who has ears to hear let him hear.

Blessings and Shalom