King James Only

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, you are saying the KJV was deliberately written not to be understood? (Are you a Calvinist? LOL)
No, I am saying that God has always known exactly what was going to happen and in places caused them to happen in certain ways to accomplish His purposes. How well do we see God's whole plan? How well do we understand God's whole plan? What does it take for any person to be drawn to God? The best Bible translation? I think not... although God could use that as well... but let us not limit God!

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

God will fill one who is hungry and thirsty for those things using whatever means is available at the moment, whether it be a KJV Bible, or a Passion Translation Bible, or a New World Translation Bible [JW], or a good neighbor paying attention!

Reactions: Philip James

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We have a problem, right off the bat, in claiming we only see what is written...… when Jesus makes a statement like "You have read" (or, "It is written") "but, I tell you...…….." And I have already mentioned a few of the many places every single one of us will agree that the Bible made statements that were never meant to be taken at face value. (The "eye of a needle" being just one)
They had small camels and big needles back in them days. well I remember some clown saying that on TV.

You are correct Willie.

I will say that the Bible was not written for just everyone, it was written so that the enemy could not understand the Spiritual gifts that it contains within, because they are not worthy and with the new age versions well they truly loose that spiritual gift, as they are trying to make such understood by everyone. but that's not what it was written for, as such looses it's salt one could say and it becomes bastardised.
I tried reading the Mormon book, I gave it a go but that really angered me and I would go into a rage and toss it on the floor, as it was a worldly book with man as it's author, as their was nothing truly of the Holy Spirit within it at all.

When I first tried to read the Bible I could not truly make heads or tails out of it, but I persisted and then bit by bit it was coming together in a way that no other book ever can do or come close to.
Who can pick up a book and read it a thousand times and still find something new or from another angle, you will never become bored reading the Bible, the more you study the more it calls you back for more.
You know I go to bed about 10.00 but how many times have I seen that it was 1.00 and thought only 15min had gone by and had to hit the hay only to jump right back into the Bible the next night really looking forward to it.

Reactions: Taken and Willie T

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have a problem, right off the bat, in claiming we only see what is written...… when Jesus makes a statement like "You have read" (or, "It is written") "but, I tell you...…….." And I have already mentioned a few of the many places every single one of us will agree that the Bible made statements that were never meant to be taken at face value. (The "eye of a needle" being just one)

You are exhibiting a myopic understanding of scripture. Of course the Holy Spirit uses idioms, allegories, puns, hyperbole, metaphors, symbols, etc and all sorts of rhetorical devices. Dozens and dozens of them. Many scholars have done extensive outlining of the rhetorical devices that are used in scripture.

This is just a little sampling of these things, far from and exhaustive list.....

What kinds of literary techniques are used in the Bible? | CARM.org

If you truly want to study a more exhaustive treatise on this, I recommend a book by Dr. Chuck Missler, "Cosmic Codes". He has catalogued over 200 rhetorical devices used in scripture.

Last edited:

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are exhibiting a myopic understanding of scripture. Of course the Holy Spirit uses idioms, allegories, puns, hyperbole, metaphors, symbols, etc and all sorts of rhetorical devices. Dozens and dozens of them. Many scholars have done extensive outlining of the rhetorical devices that are used in scripture.

This is just a little sampling of these things, far from and exhaustive list.....

What kinds of literary techniques are used in the Bible? | CARM.org

If you truly want to study a more exhaustive treatise on this, I recommend a book by Dr. Chuck Missler, "Cosmic Codes". He has catalogued over 200 rhetorical devices used in scripture.
I think you have totally reversed what I was saying. LOL
I know God uses these things, and many others. I was saying many people read it, word-for-word, and see nothing but it meaning precisely what the words say.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think you have totally reversed what I was saying. LOL
I know God uses these things, and many others. I was saying many people read it, word-for-word, and see nothing but it meaning precisely what the words say.

It can be a hot potato when we say " The word of God without the Spirit of God is dead"
But it is true!!

In my earlier days I was very quick to "give a person the word of the Lord"- Trouble is...that is all it was ME giving someone the letter of the Word. It took me a while before God showed me ...His word , while truth had no life unless His breath ( Spirit) was in it.

Just the other day someone on here quoted something 'at' me , saying "this is the word of the Lord" :rolleyes:

Trouble is unless God is speaking it today it has no anointing and is dead letter. But, I'd go as far to say about half the people on this Site cannot understand that.
God said - "We not by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God."

All the emphasis is put on what God said ...but very few know what God is saying today.

Someone else here got very offended when I used the term "Canned Manna". But God Himself said the Manna must be fresh. Fresh Bread of Heaven.

....H

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Or they were allowed to be in there to accomplish part God's purpose, God who has always known all of his plan and included things perhaps which we would never have expected... until He shared them with us.

Or perhaps what is recorded in the source text documents for the translations is what God allowed to be recorded and what is is in our English translations was the result of the influence of Satan on the Translators.

Shalom

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or perhaps what is recorded in the source text documents for the translations is what God allowed to be recorded and what is is in our English translations was the result of the influence of Satan on the Translators.

Shalom
I guess this amounts close to the same thing for the adversary thinking his purposes are of his own invention does NOT know the entirety of the plan of God. Satan and/or some man working his own ways will often times be used to do the work of the left hand of God. The adversary may believe he has in some measure defeated God, but rather it is God who has used the wiles of satan to accomplish the promised curses to those who have chosen that pathway of death rather than the Way to the Tree of Life. The inspired writings of scripture are indeed a two edged sword cutting both ways...

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I don't understand all those arguments. My only objection to the KJV is that it is extremely difficult for the younger generations to understand. Literacy in this country has taken a nose-dive in the last thirty years. (You can see it right here all over this forum) And to expect people who can't even master the modern language they live with every day, to figure out the contorted jargon used in the KJV is kind of cruel.... IMHO.
Perhaps we should switch to coloring book Bible's to make it easier.... But then folks would complain that it's too hard to color in-between the lines!

Ever play some of these video games the kids are playing today, Willie? I have, and I have to download the cheat sheet guides to complete them. Yet today's generation has no problem figuring them out, or figuring out any other tech thing.

They certainly know how to Google stuff, as do everyone on this board.

So I am not buying the notion that the KJV is just too difficult to understand.

If that's the case, then we shouldn't ask our youth to read Shakespeare, JD Salinger, the Constitution, Edger Allen Poe, the Gettysburg Address.....

So, coloring books for all! Dick and Jane for all... Maybe we should have a Curious George version of the Bible! Or have Winnie the Pooh explain it to us. Heck, Pooh has some deep sociological ideas... Maybe AOC should come out with a version.

Reactions: Helen and amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Perhaps we should switch to coloring book Bible's to make it easier.... But then folks would complain that it's too hard to color in-between the lines!

Ever play some of these video games the kids are playing today, Willie? I have, and I have to download the cheat sheet guides to complete them. Yet today's generation has no problem figuring them out, or figuring out any other tech thing.

If that's the case, then we shouldn't ask our youth to read Shakespeare, JD Salinger, the Constitution, Edger Allen Poe, the Gettysburg Address.....

So, coloring books for all! Dick and Jane for all... Maybe we should have a Curious George version of the Bible! Or have Winnie the Pooh explain it to us. Heck, Pooh has some deep sociological ideas... Maybe AOC should come out with a version.

Ouch,
...but you well and truly nailed it there!!
Thumb.gif

Reactions: amadeus and FHII

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm glad you mentioned AOC. Brilliant and charismatic, without a doubt, but in a limited scope that ensnares her in an obviously unrealistic fantasy world. The real world we live in does not respond to pushing a computer button in order to "reset" and "replenish" a Leprechaun's mismanaged and depleted pot of gold.

But, getting back to the specific topic.... You have only to read here (or on most forums) for fifteen minutes to see that Reading Comprehension and Composition are dying, and all but "dead", arts. (Have you ever watched the Jessie Waters TV Show feature where he interviews college students on campus about matters of basic knowledge and awareness?) I doubt seriously if many of them have ever even read Shakespeare and/or any of the other literature you mentioned.

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Anyway many men have shed blood for dis book, have literally died so that this book could reach our shores including William tindale, know one has died 4 the NLT, or the NIV or the RSV. My question is why would the catholics go 2 all the trouble of burning bibles and people 2 keep a lid on the truth, satan must of been the one trying 2 suppress the word!! why would people die for a book just like the apostles died for the gospel, because its the true word of God dats why. William tindales last words were let England here the gospel and God answered him and now we have it.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
King James
hey, have you read the stifled and discredited acct by his boyfriend? It was quite revealing actually, imo King James was a really thoughtful person, even deep i guess. Which is reflected in the tranny imo, "Easter" notwithstanding. Apparently very steady boyfriend i guess...hmm, not sure how youre reading this, i have a lot more respect for KJ after reading it actually
Anytime the topic of the King James Bible comes up the issue with King James being homosexual can take over the topic.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Reading some of these responses here, it make a person wonder how many really read ALL of the excellent opening post...and it balance re "KJV only "!! :D

Not many people I would guess,
"_________ only" is really nothing less than someone between us and Yah, i think?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am KJVO. I don’t think the infallible word of God is lost in Ancient Greek to be redefined by modern professors of academic commentary. I think God ordained His word to be translated in the dominant language of the world 400 years ago, not through a trickle down method in the 21st century.

Reactions: DoveSpirit05

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This is all the higher criticism methodology started by wescott & hoit passed down generation 2 generation!!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I am KJVO. I don’t think the infallible word of God is lost in Ancient Greek to be redefined by modern professors of academic commentary.
unfort you have said an oxymoron, as demo ed in "Easter" imo, although i have a lotta respect for the kjv and queenie both ok.
I think God ordained His word to be translated in the dominant language of the world 400 years ago, not through a trickle down method in the 21st century.
As further evidence i would offer that ol Josh ("Jesus," to us) Read from a translation, and even then scribes were widely decried for their pandering, yes?

fwiw we read "homosexuality" bc some scribe wrote "homosexuality" but that is hardly the best interp of the orig term that as you say has not been lost in ancient Greek, even though the Bible is not exactly the Word precisely for the very reasons stated here; "Easter" is nowhere in the Bible, only it is in your Bible right, the one you are now deeming "Word" see.

have a good one, til this eve then

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
unfort you have said an oxymoron, as demo ed in "Easter" imo, although i have a lotta respect for the kjv and queenie both ok.
As further evidence i would offer that ol Josh ("Jesus," to us) Read from a translation, and even then scribes were widely decried for their pandering, yes?

fwiw we read "homosexuality" bc some scribe wrote "homosexuality" but that is hardly the best interp of the orig term that as you say has not been lost in ancient Greek, even though the Bible is not exactly the Word precisely for the very reasons stated here; "Easter" is nowhere in the Bible, only it is in your Bible right, the one you are now deeming "Word" see.

have a good one, til this eve then
The word "Easter" used in Acts is a correct English word.

It actually was a word describing a particular feast the 1st century church had, per 1 Cor 11.

This was a passover feast celebrating 'Christ our passover".

The meaning of this old English word changed over the last few centuries, just like other words do(gay etc).

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
The word "Easter" used in Acts is a correct English word.
for “Passover?” OK, go without then

Auto correct aargh. Meant to say “go with that then” but I think I’ll leave it
It actually was a word describing a particular feast the 1st century church had, per 1 Cor 11.

This was a passover feast celebrating 'Christ our passover".

The meaning of this old English word changed over the last few centuries, just like other words do(gay etc).
Nice try, but I’m pretty sure I know what Easter eggs and bunnies mean already, thank you. And meant then, and meant 2000 years ago, and will always mean.

Last edited:
Reactions: Candidus and Helen

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
for “Passover?” OK, go without then

Auto correct aargh. Meant to say “go with that then” but I think I’ll leave it
Pascha per Jew = animal sacrifice feast.

Pascha per Christian = human sacrifice feast.

Pascha(Easter) in ancient English = human sacrifice feast.