Knowing the Scriptures vs Knowing the Lord Jesus Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Knowing a book is different from knowing a person, simply because a book is not alive whereas a person is.

Knowing a book involves reading. Knowing a person involves a relationship.

A teacher might ask you to read the book, but the teacher is not the book. The book might tell you about a person and even tell you to get to know the teacher, but reading the book is not knowing the teacher. Try reading the book then just show up at their house for thanksgiving trying to explain you are their good friend because you read the book.

That this seems all self-evident, but I regularly run across people who think they know the Lord because they read the book. They even get zealous for God, but honestly, they don't know Him!

This is nothing new, Paul had to discuss it with the church at Rome.

Rom 10:1,2 Brethren, my heart’s desire and my prayer to God for them is for their salvation. For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge.

Now we how really are Christians, do honestly and truly know Him! I know I do, because we talk. Now it happens that the very first words I heard from Him were, "Read You Bible". My mom had given me a Bible long before that (at least 10 years, and maybe 20 years earlier) and so I did read the Bible, but it was not knowing the Bible with is amazing, it was coming to actually know Him through conversation which still amazes me to this day.

I am also amazed at the people who say they did read the Bible and didn't decide to actually know Him. I mean - if they liked the Book written about Him you would think it would occur to them to actually seek a personal relationship with Him! Indeed, it is even more amazing because the Bible is telling them that they need to get to know Him - and that just takes a little faith that He is there to be heard from. The Bible explains that and tell us that people still do not seek Him.

I tell them that the Bible is right, that He is there to be heard from, yet amazingly people will not even consider that!!

Of course, I did consider that, and my parents took me to church when I was a child. As mentioned, I even had a Bible somewhere around the house when He told me to "Read Your Bible". Of course Him being God, had taken that Bible and somehow put it right behind by alarm clock, so that when He told me, "Read Your Bible", He also gave me a vision of my Bible behind my alarm clock. So, I turned and looked, and there it was. He is amazing, because it had to have been packed away is some box in the garage or a close, before that. The Spirit of God had actually gotten it from where it had been and put it behind my alarm clock.

So, it amazes me when people write that they will follow the Scriptures, because the Scriptures tell you to follow the Lord who can simply have His Holy Spirit move things around! The Scriptures even explain that His sheep hear His voice and that He leads them with His voice. The Scriptures explain that His words are spirit and are life, but people keep thinking the ink on the pages are spirit. The writings I read were ink on pages, the voice of the One who first told me to "Read Your Bible" were spiritual words. He had gotten personal with me. He had shown me that He was the Lord and God, but that did not come from knowing the Scriptures, that came from hearing from Him.

So it is that I know Him. We talk! Everyday we talk! I have lot to do today, but He personally asked me to post this information.

So I have a question from Him for those posting on this forum: It is a multiple choice question.

Which of the following statement best describe you:

A. I personally know the Lord Jesus Christ and personally hear Him talking to me in words everyday via His Holy Spirit talking to my spirit, so I try to follow the directions my Lord Jesus Christ personally gives Me. .

B. I know the Bible, so I am going to follow the Bible and what I believe it tells me, because I believe the Bible has all the words He has to say to me. until I get to heaven. Therefore I don't believe the people saying they hear from Him everyday do know Him.

C. I don't hear the Lord Jesus Christ talking to me and I don't study the Bible. I came to the Christian forum to just to read what people think.

D. I have some other thoughts about all this.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know the God who created the heavens & earth and all within.

I know God bc his word is a LIVING WORD. The Word was with God and the Word is God.

I learned much about the bible or word of God from old time godly men & women who went before me. When I received the Holy Ghost with the initial evidence of tongues, God's Spirit became my teacher & guide.

We have a relationship in his fullness. I talk with him as I talk to anyone. Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear. He has adopted me by the blood of his Son and I am joint- heirs with him and he with-holds nothing good from his children.

My belief and faith in the " I AM", which means he is ever present, is my mark for steadfastness. Others must speak for themselves & God will be the judge !

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I know God bc his word is a LIVING WORD. The Word was with God and the Word is God.

I learned much about the bible or word of God from old time godly men & women who went before me. When I received the Holy Ghost with the initial evidence of tongues, God's Spirit became my teacher & guide.

We have a relationship in his fullness. I talk with him as I talk to anyone. Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear. He has adopted me by the blood of his Son and I am joint- heirs with him and he with-holds nothing good from his children.

My belief and faith in the " I AM", which means he is ever present, is my mark for steadfastness. Others must speak for themselves & God will be the judge !

The above post is what it means to know the Lord!!!!

If a person really knows Him they can see when others know the Lord by what is said by others who know Him.

For example in the post we read: " I talk with him as I talk to anyone. Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear"

We do actually hear Him and talk with Him via the Holy Spirit! We hear Him via what is sometimes called "The small voice" which is what the Bible calls "The Word of God"! but either way, it is our Lord Jesus Christ speaking to us via His Holy Spirit. And when you listen and do talk with Him, He talks to you and so it is to you, like as written, "as I talk to anyone". Because He is God and you believe that, you can really only talk to as also written, "Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear"!!

How else can you talk to Him? He knows you better than you know yourself, so you might as well keep it simple and straight forward. And because He is God, so no matter how nice, sweet and soft His voice is, there is going to be some reverence and fear. Even if you get upset with Him, and that can happen, so that you want to and do yell at Him wishing you could kick Him, there is still belief that He is God. It becomes a lot like a little child talking to their father. The child can get angry, but there is always and understanding that while their father loves them, they could still get a smack in the behind. It is amazing how we can still have that little kid in us, but also the understanding that we are talking to God when we talk to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Our Lord will talk to us about the Scriptures, but He is not the Scriptures. So knowing the Scriptures is not knowing Him!

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Great post!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The above post is what it means to know the Lord!!!!

If a person really knows Him they can see when others know the Lord by what is said by others who know Him.

For example in the post we read: " I talk with him as I talk to anyone. Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear"

We do actually hear Him and talk with Him via the Holy Spirit! We hear Him via what is sometimes called "The small voice" which is what the Bible calls "The Word of God"! but either way, it is our Lord Jesus Christ speaking to us via His Holy Spirit. And when you listen and do talk with Him, He talks to you and so it is to you, like as written, "as I talk to anyone". Because He is God and you believe that, you can really only talk to as also written, "Simple, straight forward with reverence and fear"!!

How else can you talk to Him? He knows you better than you know yourself, so you might as well keep it simple and straight forward. And because He is God, so no matter how nice, sweet and soft His voice is, there is going to be some reverence and fear. Even if you get upset with Him, and that can happen, so that you want to and do yell at Him wishing you could kick Him, there is still belief that He is God. It becomes a lot like a little child talking to their father. The child can get angry, but there is always and understanding that while their father loves them, they could still get a smack in the behind. It is amazing how we can still have that little kid in us, but also the understanding that we are talking to God when we talk to our Lord Jesus Christ.

Our Lord will talk to us about the Scriptures, but He is not the Scriptures. So knowing the Scriptures is not knowing Him!
Great post!

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well.. meditating on scripture daily.. and then God will speak to your soul through that. Eg.. You meet someone in need and then scripture you were studying/thinking on comes to mind through God prompting.

I don't personally hear an audible voice from God.. but get guidance through the 'still quiet voice' of God through His scripture. I don't believe any prompting you get will contradict scripture.. or be something new you can add to scripture.

The Holy Spirit guides, teaches, rebukes, prompts, can be hurt, indwells a person at salvation.. comes 'in the midst' of a church He calls His own plus more.

• Love
Reactions: Jim B and Nancy

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well.. meditating on scripture daily.. and then God will speak to your soul through that. Eg.. You meet someone in need and then scripture you were studying/thinking on comes to mind through God prompting.

I don't personally hear an audible voice from God.. but get guidance through the 'still quiet voice' of God through His scripture. I don't believe any prompting you get will contradict scripture.. or be something new you can add to scripture.

The Holy Spirit guides, teaches, rebukes, prompts, can be hurt, indwells a person at salvation.. comes 'in the midst' of a church He calls His own plus more.

Just FYI - The Lord's voice is not actually audible, but if we practice and pay close attention, we will start hearing words the He speaks from His Holy Spirit to our spirit!

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

And so that voice does not come through the Scriptures, but through the Spirit of God. It is not surprising and is probably expected that we should pick up the voice of our Lord Jesus Christ while reading the Scriptures, but He wants to talk to us about all parts of our life! Paul said he took all thought captive to Jesus Christ!

Also, Satan also is found quoting Scriptures in the Bible, even to Jesus Christ Himself. So don't assume that just because a spirit is quoting Scriptures or talking to you about the Scriptures, that means it is from the Lord! Indeed, the Jews wound up searching the Scriptures thinking in them they had life, instead of actually seeking Jesus Christ!

Still, it is written that all who seek find - so seek Jesus Christ with all your heart and you will find Him! And that is easier than people think, because it is also written that He is not slow to answer like we think. So I just have people ask Jesus Christ some simple question like, "Jesus Christ, How do you feel about me?" Then have them consider what comes to them. What they pick up, is pretty much alwasy the Lord, because they sought the Lord Jesus Christ!

It is written that if anyone asked for bread He is not going to give them a stone, will He.

Jesus explained that He was the bread, manna, that came down from heaven, and His name is called "The Word of God", because He speaks to us via His Holy Spirit. So if you ask for Him, The Word of God who speaks to you personally, you will find Him! You might find some legalistic demonic spirit at some point afterwards - remember the Law was written in stone - but our Lord loves you and you will find that out if you seek Him and His voice! You will find that He is a person, even the Son of God who is with God and is God! If you practice hearing Him then your hearing will become clearer (see the last part of Hebrews chapter five)

• Love
Reactions: Jim B

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just FYI - The Lord's voice is not actually audible, but if we practice and pay close attention, we will start hearing words the He speaks from His Holy Spirit to our spirit!

Jn 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

And so that voice does not come through the Scriptures, but through the Spirit of God. It is not surprising and is probably expected that we should pick up the voice of our Lord Jesus Christ while reading the Scriptures, but He wants to talk to us about all parts of our life! Paul said he took all thought captive to Jesus Christ!

Also, Satan also is found quoting Scriptures in the Bible, even to Jesus Christ Himself. So don't assume that just because a spirit is quoting Scriptures or talking to you about the Scriptures, that means it is from the Lord! Indeed, the Jews wound up searching the Scriptures thinking in them they had life, instead of actually seeking Jesus Christ!

Still, it is written that all who seek find - so seek Jesus Christ with all your heart and you will find Him! And that is easier than people think, because it is also written that He is not slow to answer like we think. So I just have people ask Jesus Christ some simple question like, "Jesus Christ, How do you feel about me?" Then have them consider what comes to them. What they pick up, is pretty much alwasy the Lord, because they sought the Lord Jesus Christ!

It is written that if anyone asked for bread He is not going to give them a stone, will He.

Jesus explained that He was the bread, manna, that came down from heaven, and His name is called "The Word of God", because He speaks to us via His Holy Spirit. So if you ask for Him, The Word of God who speaks to you personally, you will find Him! You might find some legalistic demonic spirit at some point afterwards - remember the Law was written in stone - but our Lord loves you and you will find that out if you seek Him and His voice! You will find that He is a person, even the Son of God who is with God and is God! If you practice hearing Him then your hearing will become clearer (see the last part of Hebrews chapter five)
Great post!

360watt

Jun 6, 2020
Christchurch
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Just to clarify, what I mean is, there is going to be guidance from God, prompting that is particularly personal to me. And it may not be scripture words.. but it will be completely based on scripture. Scripture is the road map for christians. Looking at particular passages and how they apply to our lives.. if we apply them.. then we do pick up prompting from the Holy Spirit.

Another example.. Jesus blesses the process of resolving conflict between church members and will be there in a special way, blessing it.. according to Matthew 18. 'Where two or three are gathered, there I am with them'.. context of this is resolving sin issues with a sinning brother in a local church.

So the scripture has the guidance of how to do it.. we do it that way.. and then Jesus blesses in a special way.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Just FYI - The Lord's voice is not actually audible"
The first sentence in 360's second paragraph clearly say

"I don't personally hear an audible voice from God.."

Yes, it is the Spirit of God who "brings remembrance" of those things we have heard/read. If we have not read the Word of God, then He, the Spirit cannot bring it to our remembrance now, can He.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, it is the Spirit of God who "brings remembrance" of those things we have heard/read. If we have not read the Word of God, then He, the Spirit cannot bring it to our remembrance now, can He.
This is inconsistent logic. a) it is the Spirit of God who "brings remembrance" of those things we have heard/read. b) If we have not read the Word of God, then He, the Spirit cannot bring it to our remembrance now, can He. First you write heard/read (two things), then you write "have not read". What about hearing?

More importantly, the Spirit of God can bring anything that He wants to our minds. He is not restricted to what we have heard or read. God is not limited by that.

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, it amazes me when people write that they will follow the Scriptures, because the Scriptures tell you to follow the Lord who can simply have His Holy Spirit move things around! The Scriptures even explain that His sheep hear His voice and that He leads them with His voice. The Scriptures explain that His words are spirit and are life, but people keep thinking the ink on the pages are spirit. The writings I read were ink on pages, the voice of the One who first told me to "Read Your Bible" were spiritual words. He had gotten personal with me. He had shown me that He was the Lord and God, but that did not come from knowing the Scriptures, that came from hearing from Him.

And hearing comes by his words.

There's people who say they know God or profess to know him, but show that they don't/do not. Did you consider that part?

It's also a you need to update your resume thing. You can't just be complacent with "I know the lord Jesus".

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, He can. What you're claiming is that illiterate people or people who don't own a Bible can't be led by the Holy Spirit. Of course, that makes no sense.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, He can. What you're claiming is that illiterate people or people who don't own a Bible can't be led by the Holy Spirit. Of course, that makes no sense.
Many in Jesus day were illiterate, hence...preaching.

Romans 10:14-15 NKJV
14 "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,

Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

Reactions: 360watt