Latter Day Saints Site Falsely Teaches Works Salvation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and I told you that the West. Creed is not in the Bible, but you think you've got that to hang your hat on. Go ahead.

Bible doesn't teach that.

Matt 15:8-9
'These people draw near to Me with their mouth, And honor Me with their lips, But their heart is far from Me. And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.

God would have said something if He has a wife. And He didn't--unless you count the JS stuff that came out 1800 after Jesus. Also, I assume, when Jesus was praying, He would've said "Hi" to His mom, or prayed to her. Nope.

And did she give birth to Jesus up there? And satan? And you and me?
tenor_gif3313651064024309091.gif1685992406023_7071564692555804899.gif

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I left mormonism in 1979 mainly due to their fractured theology, and also due to some of the demonic teachings in their temple endowment. I don't believe that our Father in heaven was exalted to godhood by prior existing gods, or that he and his wife previously existed on another planet, similar to humans on this planet, prior to being exalted to godhood. This and more was what they tried to reach me when I was a convert in the early 70s. I don't believe that I have a mother-god in heaven that gave birth to all the spirits that come to earth to gain bodies. In fact that heavenly mother is a goddess that isn't even included in the godhead. Before all the changes in the mormon temple endowment, we all had to stand up at three different intervals during the endowment ceremony in order to act out taking death penalty oaths should we ever reveal the teachings of the endowment to an outsider. Some temple recommend holding mormons would not return to the temple because of those vile and demonic oaths, which were no more than repackaged rites borrowed from freemasonry. The SLC LDS sect had to make changes in 1990 so that some members would return to the temple. Changes to the endowment have been made more than once. There are more issues, but these were two of the most egregious to me during the time that I was an elder in the SLC LDS sect

M3n0r4h

Jun 3, 2023
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was an honest assessment of my interaction and having been LDS for 10 years. I was taught a lot of false doctrine that the Church apparently doesn't support officially.
Most of their current dogma is taken from the King Follett Discourse that was delivered in Nauvoo, IL shortly before Joseph Smith Jr. was murdered (cut off) by an angry mob in Carthage, IL a little short of two months after delivering that blasphemy.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormon doctrine: “For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” (2 Nephi 25:23 - Book of Mormon) In other words, do all you can or else the Lord will not be able to save you. That is clearly works salvation.

Christian doctrine: For by grace, you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9 - Bible) Enough said.

Reactions: Cassandra

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormon doctrine: “For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” (2 Nephi 25:23 - Book of Mormon) In other words, do all you can or else the Lord will not be able to save you. That is clearly works salvation.

Christian doctrine: For by grace, you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. (Ephesians 2:8,9 - Bible) Enough said.
That’s only half the story.

The full picture:
Faith in Christ comes first. This is absolutely foundational and what makes a person a Christian. We are saved by grace, not by you working your way to Heaven. But Christ did not die on the cross so you can unapologeticly continue to kiss Satan’s fear the exact same as before! Rather we are to repent! We are to try to follow Him because we love Him! Being reborn in Christ is a call to action.

Both mainstream Christian’s and LDS Christians beleive the above, exactly the same. And it’s important to convey that full picture.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s only half the story.

The full picture:
Faith in Christ comes first. This is absolutely foundational and what makes a person a Christian. We are saved by grace, not by you working your way to Heaven. But Christ did not die on the cross so you can unapologeticly continue to kiss Satan’s fear the exact same as before! Rather we are to repent! We are to try to follow Him because we love Him! Being reborn in Christ is a call to action.

Both mainstream Christian’s and LDS Christians beleive the above, exactly the same. And it’s important to convey that full picture.
The LDS faith is teaching that your works will grant you God status of your own planet. Jesus just isn't enough for them period. They may not teach certain evils (murder, child sacrifice, etc) but they aren't teaching the true gospel therefore it is wrong in the eyes of the God of the Bible. They believe with speaking in tongues is only possible of the laying of hands on a person from a Prophet.

If they taught the same faith and believes then there would be no need to call it something else.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The LDS faith is teaching that your works will grant you God status of your own planet. Jesus just isn't enough for them period. They may not teach certain evils (murder, child sacrifice, etc) but they aren't teaching the true gospel therefore it is wrong in the eyes of the God of the Bible. They believe with speaking in tongues is only possible of the laying of hands on a person from a Prophet.

If they taught the same faith and believes then there would be no need to call it something else.
You're talking to an actual practicing LDS Christian.

Jesus is enough. Rest of your statements also not accurate.

As to why there are different denominations: because Christianity isn't a monolith and there are different views on different theological topics. Example: Calvinism versus Arminism. But the core of all Christianity denominations is Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and following Him in Faith. I personally don't find the need to demonize other Christians, and try really hard to be accurate in understanding what they believe. It's a 2 Great Commandments thing.

TheOneHeLoves

Nov 15, 2022
Houston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're talking to an actual practicing LDS Christian.

Jesus is enough. Rest of your statements also not accurate.

As to why there are different denominations: because Christianity isn't a monolith and there are different views on different theological topics. Example: Calvinism versus Arminism. But the core of all Christianity denominations is Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and following Him in Faith. I personally don't find the need to demonize other Christians, and try really hard to be accurate in understanding what they believe. It's a 2 Great Commandments thing.
No where did I name call or use the word demon.

The Mormons I have had long debates with did believe those things. They would not reference the Holy Bible only the book of mormon. They said they think the Word of God needed to be updated.

Everything I stated earlier came directly from LDS people to me.

IF you don't believe in all that then maybe you aren't really a practicing LDS?

I was never rude or ugly, I stand strong on the Word of God. Christ Jesus came to Earth to fulfill the law and take my punishment. He defeated death and His resurrection shows He is God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It is by grace through faith that I am saved. Nothing else.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No where did I name call or use the word demon.

The Mormons I have had long debates with did believe those things. They would not reference the Holy Bible only the book of mormon. They said they think the Word of God needed to be updated.

Everything I stated earlier came directly from LDS people to me.

IF you don't believe in all that then maybe you aren't really a practicing LDS?

I was never rude or ugly, I stand strong on the Word of God. Christ Jesus came to Earth to fulfill the law and take my punishment. He defeated death and His resurrection shows He is God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. It is by grace through faith that I am saved. Nothing else.
There’s a lot to cover here, so I’m going to do it bullet point style focusing the big ones:
- Yes, I am a practicing LDS Christian
- Yes, LDS Christians do use the Bible. Example: I just save a sermon from the pulpit last week going over Acts 6-9 and talking about themes of coming to Christ.
- And yes we are saved by grace. Obviously. It is a gift from God. The idea someone could worn there way to Heaven is laughable. On the same note, coming to Christ is a call to action- we follow Him out of love. The life of a disciple is one of action, following Him, trying, repenting when mistakes happen, keep loving, and keep trying.