Lazarus and rich man Part 1

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16:19-31
19-There was a rich man who used to dress in purple and linen, enjoying himself day after day with magnificence. 20 But a beggar named Lazʹa·rus used to be put at his gate, covered with ulcers 21 and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, even the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. 22 Now in the course of time, the beggar died and was carried off by the angels to Abraham’s side.

“Also, the rich man died and was buried. 23 And in the Grave he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and he saw Abraham from afar and Lazʹa·rus by his side. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazʹa·rus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you had your fill of good things in your lifetime, but Lazʹa·rus for his part received bad things. Now, however, he is being comforted here, but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and you, so that those who want to go over from here to you cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.’ 27 Then he said, ‘That being so, I ask you, father, to send him to the house of my father, 28 for I have five brothers, in order that he may give them a thorough witness so that they will not also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.’ 30 Then he said, ‘No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead.’”

So many people try to convince me this was an actual historic event that literally happened.That Luke 16:19-31 has to be taken literally. Now how other people choose to see or take Luke 16:19-31 either literally as some actual historic event or some illustration or parable is their choice. Many people don't agree on the scriptures, or the beliefs that make up the true Christian belief. That's why there are so many religious organizations called Christian religions and denominations. It's always been a personal choice of what people choose to believe is true, who the True God is, whether Jesus is God or the Only Begotten Son of Son, these are matters of personal choice. The Bible is full of scriptures that tell us to study his word. Us means God is telling us as individuals to study his word to make sure for ourselves what the truth is.
I believe Luke 16:19-31 is to be taken as a parable or illustration. Jesus told his Apostles and disciples that he would talk to the majority of the Jews, especially the ones such as the Pharisees, scribes and Sadducees in illustrations or parables. Matthew 13:10-15; 13:34, 35; Mark 4:33, 34; The scriptures show us that many disregard the scriptures especially the commandments of God in order to keep there tradition, or their preconceived ideas of what the truth is. Mark 7:9 So many of the Jews such as the Pharisees, scribes and Sadducees had some preconceived opinions and wrong motives.

For the sake of argument, lets say that Jesus listeners did think it was an actual incident, that doesn't prove that it was, instead it proves just the opposite. Because as the scriptures explicitly tell us that the reason Jesus spoke in parables or illustrations was, that they might not understand. The scripture says at Luke 8:10: “To you [his disciples] it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the kingdom of God, but for the rest it is in parables/illustrations, in order that, though looking, they may look in vain and, though hearing, they may not get the meaning.” Obviously, whatever meaning his listeners got from the illustration was bound to be the wrong one.

Now i know some may object because they may say something like, "Jesus did not indicate in so many words that this was an illustration." But is it really necessary that Jesus do this every time, when we have the plain statement at Matthew 13:34 that says “without an illustration he would not speak to them." The mere fact that names are given cannot be used as an argument against its being an illustration after all the rich man isn't given a name. In view of all the evidence that proves that to take it literally is to go against reason and common sense and it contradicts the rest of God’s Word.

In this illustration or parable we read of a rich man clothed in purple and fine linen who lived in magnificence and of a beggar named Lazarus who sat at his gate, full of ulcers, and who craved the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Each in their own time died. Lazarus was taken by angels to recline upon Abraham’s bosom whereas the rich man was buried, and in Hades suffered torment and from which place he saw Lazarus. Luke 16:19-23,

What we need to understand here is that not one word is said about Lazarus’ having been a good man, about his having had faith and proving it by works; both of which are necessary to gain everlasting life. (Heb. 11:6; Jas. 2:14-26) and where in the scriptures does it say mere wretchedness, poverty and disease are a guarantee of salvation?

Also there is not a word about the rich man’s having been wicked. What kind of reasoning and by what principles of justice are we going by that says simply because a man enjoyed the good things of this life to the full for many years he must suffer the agonies of a burning hell for billions times billions of years, yes, for eternity? Even fallen, imperfect man appreciates that justice requires that “the punishment fit the crime,” and certainly God is more just than man. Abraham, David, Solomon, Joseph of Arimathea, all had great wealth; That fact doesn't doom them to eternal torment.

Also Jesus in his arguments with the Jewish clergy there was evidence of a fine sense of logic, second to none. Would he give such a dire warning on the wages of sin and not even mention sin, or tell of the rewards of faith and obedience and not even mention faith and obedience.Had Jesus meant to warn his listeners about eternal torment he certainly would have stressed these points; but he said nothing about sin, faith or obedience.

Not only that, but we read that Lazarus was carried off to Abraham’s bosom. His bosom, we suppose to take that literally that all righteous people who are saved are literally in Abraham bosom. So we're to just forget about heaven right, it doesn't exist because all who are saved are literally in Abraham bosom, and if someone says, we are to take Abrahams bosom as a figure of speech, why do they insist that what befell the rich man be taken literally? It simply does not make sense to take one part of the account literally and another part figuratively.

Another thing I find interesting is that this is the only place in all the Scriptures where consciousness and suffering are associated with Hades. Neither can it be claimed that before Jesus’ death Hades had two compartments, one for the good and the other for the wicked, and that after he died for man’s sin then the good went to heaven, for at the time Jesus spoke this illustration he had not yet died. That Hades is used figuratively is apparent from Revelation 6:8, 9, where Hades is shown as riding horseback, and also at Revelation 20:14, where Hades is shown, not as being the lake of fire, but as being itself cast into the lake of fire.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
19-There was a rich man who used to dress in purple and linen, enjoying himself day after day with magnificence. 20 But a beggar named Lazʹa·rus used to be put at his gate, covered with ulcers 21 and desiring to be filled with the things dropping from the table of the rich man. Yes, even the dogs would come and lick his ulcers. 22 Now in the course of time, the beggar died and was carried off by the angels to Abraham’s side.

“Also, the rich man died and was buried. 23 And in the Grave he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and he saw Abraham from afar and Lazʹa·rus by his side. 24 So he called and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazʹa·rus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this blazing fire.’ 25 But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that you had your fill of good things in your lifetime, but Lazʹa·rus for his part received bad things. Now, however, he is being comforted here, but you are in anguish. 26 And besides all these things, a great chasm has been fixed between us and you, so that those who want to go over from here to you cannot, neither may people cross over from there to us.’ 27 Then he said, ‘That being so, I ask you, father, to send him to the house of my father, 28 for I have five brothers, in order that he may give them a thorough witness so that they will not also come into this place of torment.’ 29 But Abraham said, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to these.’ 30 Then he said, ‘No, indeed, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone rises from the dead.’”

So many people try to convince me this was an actual historic event that literally happened.That Luke 16:19-31 has to be taken literally. Now how other people choose to see or take Luke 16:19-31 either literally as some actual historic event or some illustration or parable is their choice. Many people don't agree on the scriptures, or the beliefs that make up the true Christian belief. That's why there are so many religious organizations called Christian religions and denominations. It's always been a personal choice of what people choose to believe is true, who the True God is, whether Jesus is God or the Only Begotten Son of Son, these are matters of personal choice. The Bible is full of scriptures that tell us to study his word. Us means God is telling us as individuals to study his word to make sure for ourselves what the truth is.
I believe Luke 16:19-31 is to be taken as a parable or illustration. Jesus told his Apostles and disciples that he would talk to the majority of the Jews, especially the ones such as the Pharisees, scribes and Sadducees in illustrations or parables. Matthew 13:10-15; 13:34, 35; Mark 4:33, 34; The scriptures show us that many disregard the scriptures especially the commandments of God in order to keep there tradition, or their preconceived ideas of what the truth is. Mark 7:9 So many of the Jews such as the Pharisees, scribes and Sadducees had some preconceived opinions and wrong motives.

For the sake of argument, lets say that Jesus listeners did think it was an actual incident, that doesn't prove that it was, instead it proves just the opposite. Because as the scriptures explicitly tell us that the reason Jesus spoke in parables or illustrations was, that they might not understand. The scripture says at Luke 8:10: “To you [his disciples] it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the kingdom of God, but for the rest it is in parables/illustrations, in order that, though looking, they may look in vain and, though hearing, they may not get the meaning.” Obviously, whatever meaning his listeners got from the illustration was bound to be the wrong one.

Now i know some may object because they may say something like, "Jesus did not indicate in so many words that this was an illustration." But is it really necessary that Jesus do this every time, when we have the plain statement at Matthew 13:34 that says “without an illustration he would not speak to them." The mere fact that names are given cannot be used as an argument against its being an illustration after all the rich man isn't given a name. In view of all the evidence that proves that to take it literally is to go against reason and common sense and it contradicts the rest of God’s Word.

In this illustration or parable we read of a rich man clothed in purple and fine linen who lived in magnificence and of a beggar named Lazarus who sat at his gate, full of ulcers, and who craved the crumbs that fell from the rich man’s table. Each in their own time died. Lazarus was taken by angels to recline upon Abraham’s bosom whereas the rich man was buried, and in Hades suffered torment and from which place he saw Lazarus. Luke 16:19-23,

What we need to understand here is that not one word is said about Lazarus’ having been a good man, about his having had faith and proving it by works; both of which are necessary to gain everlasting life. (Heb. 11:6; Jas. 2:14-26) and where in the scriptures does it say mere wretchedness, poverty and disease are a guarantee of salvation?

Also there is not a word about the rich man’s having been wicked. What kind of reasoning and by what principles of justice are we going by that says simply because a man enjoyed the good things of this life to the full for many years he must suffer the agonies of a burning hell for billions times billions of years, yes, for eternity? Even fallen, imperfect man appreciates that justice requires that “the punishment fit the crime,” and certainly God is more just than man. Abraham, David, Solomon, Joseph of Arimathea, all had great wealth; That fact doesn't doom them to eternal torment.

Also Jesus in his arguments with the Jewish clergy there was evidence of a fine sense of logic, second to none. Would he give such a dire warning on the wages of sin and not even mention sin, or tell of the rewards of faith and obedience and not even mention faith and obedience.Had Jesus meant to warn his listeners about eternal torment he certainly would have stressed these points; but he said nothing about sin, faith or obedience.

Not only that, but we read that Lazarus was carried off to Abraham’s bosom. His bosom, we suppose to take that literally that all righteous people who are saved are literally in Abraham bosom. So we're to just forget about heaven right, it doesn't exist because all who are saved are literally in Abraham bosom, and if someone says, we are to take Abrahams bosom as a figure of speech, why do they insist that what befell the rich man be taken literally? It simply does not make sense to take one part of the account literally and another part figuratively.

Another thing I find interesting is that this is the only place in all the Scriptures where consciousness and suffering are associated with Hades. Neither can it be claimed that before Jesus’ death Hades had two compartments, one for the good and the other for the wicked, and that after he died for man’s sin then the good went to heaven, for at the time Jesus spoke this illustration he had not yet died. That Hades is used figuratively is apparent from Revelation 6:8, 9, where Hades is shown as riding horseback, and also at Revelation 20:14, where Hades is shown, not as being the lake of fire, but as being itself cast into the lake of fire.
All interested read about these things here
Hell, Sheol, Hades, Paradise, and the Grave

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I believe Luke 16:19-31 is to be taken as a parable or illustration.

I believe...ONE THING above ALL other things...
Jesus IS the TRUTH, He can NOT Speak what IS NOT TRUE.

^ THAT ONE THING, supersedes, all other notions of men to discredit Jesus’ spoken words.

^ HOW Jesus delivered His Word....parable, story form, a poem, whatever one wants to call the “manner” of delivery, IS Irrelevant.
ONLY WHAT MATTERS, is CAN what comes out of Jesus’ mouth, BE TRUE or NOT TRUE...

^ HOW Jesus delivered His Word....as an illustration, example, IS Irrelevant.
ONLY WHAT MATTERS, is CAN what comes out of Jesus’ mouth, BE TRUE or NOT TRUE...

WHY did Jesus Open His Mouth, and SPEAK in Parables?
1) One to Fulfill Prophecy.

Here’s the Prophecy. The Foretelling of what “WILL” come to pass.
Pss 78:
[2] I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old...

Here’s the Prophecy. The Foretelling of what “WILL” come to pass...WHEN He opens his mouth and utters things of Old.
Isa 6:
[9] And he said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not; and see ye indeed, but perceive not.

Men will HEAR, but not understand.
Men will SEE, but not perceive.

Here’s the Knowledge.
John 5:17....Jesus “speaking”.
John 5:
[39] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Jesus revealed the Scripture testify OF Him
(The Scriptures Jesus was speaking of were the OT, since the NT had NOT been written. Jesus reveals the One who shall open His mouth and speak in parables, and reveal what was NOT known, IS He...Jesus.)

Jesus revealed He IS the Truth.
A Truth can not speak a Non-Truth.
Jesus expressly revealed, Men will Hear, and not understand. Men will See, and not perceive.

I can expressly Hear “men”, REJECT Jesus’ LITERAL WORDS HE SPOKE....
And flat out KNOW...Because “such men”....neither understand or perceive.

The dilemma is not my dilemma.
The dilemma is “such men’s” dilemma...OF HOW they can BELIEVE “BOTH”...
* Jesus IS The TRUTH, and can not speak what is NOT TRUE...
and
* Jesus “DID speak what is NOT TRUE”, simply because His delivery of Speech is called a “parable”.

What such a mans[/U “confoundedness” IS; ignoring Jesus IS the TRUTH, and agreeing with a mans understanding of what a parable means to a man, according to men.

The fact is: A parable meaning “according to a mans understanding”.....
IS IRREVANT!

The fact is: Jesus was announced He would be present in a particular place and speaking.
Men heard the announcement and went to Hear Jesus speak.
Some men....Listened and Trust He is the Truth, and Speak the Truth.
Some men....Listened and Understood in their own minds, He was telling a story that was NOT True.

The fact is: IN one speech, Jesus spoke to a crowd of people, who were Individually Deciding to BELIEVE,
* He IS the TRUTH, speaking the TRUTH,
And
** He was NOT the TRUTH, but rather was speaking IN stories which were NOT TRUTH.

The Listening Crowds Divided themselves between...* And **.
The Listening Crowds WHO were * stayed, followed and listened to more.
The Listening Crowds WHO were ** departed in Disbelief walked away in Disbelief.

BARNEY BRIGHT - (as well as some others)...
Are teaching...an INDIVIDUAL MAN...can be BOTH...
* A man who Trusts Jesus IS the Truth, in all that He says...
AND
** A man who Does NOT Trust Jesus IS the Truth, in all that He says...
CAN BE THE SAME MAN.

No, not possible.

Glory to God,
Taken

Mark51

Nov 8, 2020
BROOKLYN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I strongly support your post and can add more detail for those interested.

J

Reactions: BARNEY BRIGHT

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken said:
HOW Jesus delivered His Word....parable, story form, a poem, whatever one wants to call the “manner” of delivery, IS Irrelevant.[/Quote\]

Matthew 13:1-52; Mark 4:1-34; Luke 8:4-18; Psalm 78:2; Isaiah 6:9, 10.

I don't believe that to Jesus the manner he delivered these illustrations or parables to be irrelevant.

When the disciples came to Jesus after his speech to the crowds on the beach, they are curious about his new method of teaching. They have heard him use illustrations before, but never so extensively. So they ask: “Why is it you speak to them by the use of illustrations?”

One reason he does so is to fulfill the prophet’s words: “I will open my mouth with illustrations, I will publish things hidden since the founding.” But there is more to it than this. His use of illustrations serves the purpose of helping to reveal the heart attitude of people.

Because Jesus could read minds and hearts he actually knew most people are interested in Jesus simply as a masterful storyteller and miracle worker, not as one to be served as Lord and to be unselfishly followed. He knew they did not want to be disturbed in their view of things or their way of life. They did not want the message to penetrate to that extent.

So Jesus says: “This is why I speak to them by the use of illustrations, because, looking, they look in vain, and hearing, they hear in vain, neither do they get the sense of it; and toward them the prophecy of Isaiah is having fulfillment, which says, ‘ . . . For the heart of this people has grown unreceptive.’”

“However,” Jesus goes on to say, “happy are your eyes because they behold, and your ears because they hear. For I truly say to you, Many prophets and righteous men desired to see the things you are beholding and did not see them, and to hear the things you are hearing and did not hear them.”

Jesus knew the 12 apostles and those with them had receptive hearts. Therefore Jesus says: “To you it is granted to understand the sacred secrets of the kingdom of the heavens, but to those people it is not granted.” Because of their desire for understanding, Jesus provides his disciples with an explanation of the illustrations.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken said:
I can expressly Hear “men”, REJECT Jesus’ LITERAL WORDS HE SPOKE....
And flat out KNOW...Because “such men”....neither understand or perceive.[/QUOTE\]

How a person chooses to see the illustrations is their personal choice.
Me, I'm going to see the illustrations as a great truth that's buried in an illustration. Jesus used illustrations because the crowds hearts were unreceptive. In other words they didn't care about the truth. Because of that fact about so many in Israel, Jesus spoke in illustrations. So if the crowds took the story of Lazarus and the rich man literally they didn't understand the truth that Jesus spoke, neither did they care to ask what he meant by the illustrations. Only the Apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ would ask about the illustrations.
So a person can take the illustrations literally but I honestly think they would be missing the point, the actual truth that's buried in an illustration.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken said:
The fact is: A parable meaning “according to a mans understanding”.....
IS IRREVANT![/Quote\]

I agree that the meaning of a parable, "according to a man's understanding is irrelevant."
However Jesus himself said that he would explain the illustrations to his Apostles and disciples, who are the ones God anointed with Holy Spirit, those who would be kings, priests and judges with Jesus in that heavenly Messianic kingdom. There's a remnant on the earth today of those anointed. Jesus explains scripture to the anointed by using God's Holy Spirit, this includes the illustrations. You can say and believe that the anointed of Jesus are not the anointed, say they are liars, demonic, false Christ's just as the people of Jesus day said and believed about him, all that is irrelevant, that's mans understanding. Like I said there's a remnant on earth who are the anointed, people have to make a choice who they are. Me, I know it's not the Catholics or the protestant churches, I know it's not Christendom. What others choose to believe is their choice. I choose Jehovah's Witnesses, the watchtower. People can say they're antichrist's, false witnesses etc that's just man's reasoning, man's understanding, it's irrelevant.