Let's Start A Movement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hey.

I'm not sure if anyone else is tired of being attacked, or having cheap shots hurled at you, simply because you have an opinion contrary to another Christian.
I am. And I'm not innocent, I know I can be condescending at times, and I've thrown out cheap shot as well, but I want to change that.

I'm pledging right now, to treat every poster with dignity and respect, regardless of weather they insult, or belittle, or whatever.
I will not allow myself to be dragged into a petty argument. I will not goad people into engaging in the same. I will not become angry at people
and I will not engage in cheap shots.

Anyone else tired of either being involved in doing it, or just tired of Christians acting like Jesus isn't listening or watching?

John

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Excellent idea, more Christ likeness in cyber space!
You have my vote :D

that's twice today I have used the word cyber.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
Bronzesnake said:
Hey.

I'm not sure if anyone else is tired of being attacked, or having cheap shots hurled at you, simply because you have an opinion contrary to another Christian.
I am. And I'm not innocent, I know I can be condescending at times, and I've thrown out cheap shot as well, but I want to change that.

I'm pledging right now, to treat every poster with dignity and respect, regardless of weather they insult, or belittle, or whatever.
I will not allow myself to be dragged into a petty argument. I will not goad people into engaging in the same. I will not become angry at people

Anyone else tired of either being involved in doing it, or just tired of Christians acting like Jesus isn't listening or watching?

John
Agreed, hey I miss it sometimes as well but we are Christians right, you get my vote as well.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I am all in on this as well.!!!! I also promise not to troll around after people I disagree with. I am way to scared to post what I want to say because I am too sensitive to take it. On the other hand I sometimes come down hard on people who I think are being mean and so I will work on that also!

Some people just love to debate and argue or they target someone to harass. It bothers me when people are harassed for political reasons. We can discuss all the options in this world with facts and do not need to label each other. They will know us by our love for one another. Love you all Brothers and sisters.

Another thought. If you think another Christian is not really a Christian: If you do not treat them like they are then they never will be. Think about how many people read up here. Thousands. Maybe they are deciding if Christianity is the way. Lots of people come to learn. It is very confusing and I have often cried and even gave up for quite a while. I want to be someplace where the people prove their Love one for another. You can debate in a respectful way without labels, or disrespect. I will still be confused about a lot I have learned but will know that you are trying to walk in the Spirit and not in ego.

Love You Brothers and Sisters

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Bronzesnake said:

Screw that..........just kidding.. Doesn't sound like much fun, but I suppose Christians should hold to a proper protocol. I tend to get along until a Christian denies the bible, even Jesus didn't afford the Pharisees much dignity when they did that. But there will always be different interpretations of what means what, and that's where respect becomes a necessity. Problem is, if I agreed with others, we'd both be wrong :)

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
OK, every great goal starts out with a few and ends up with a lot.
Yes, they will know who we are by our love, patients, and understanding, and patients!

Dan, it's ok to disagree of course, but from experience, I know I'll have to bite down hard sooner or later!

We are the original 5! Let's get out and win souls brothers and sisters!
Let's support each other along the journey as well.

John

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Maybe those with harsh words from time to time believe their being Christ like. I sometimes wonder if people are reading the same gospels I am if they believe Jesus was amiable always and never had a cross word for anyone.

I'm not criticizing this movement or rather the intent behind it, but like many things it works until it doesn't work. I'd rather people be compassionate when appropriate but ready to rebuke when necessary. That's what Christ was really like. There was somebody recently who started a thread criticizing Christians who grieve when they lose loved ones, and he said, "Do you miss a Christian friend or relative? How selfish of you!" Maybe I should heed the advice of Proverbs and not waste my time rebuking a fool, but I did anyway because it was insanely stupid and insensitive.

And I sometimes go to far, being obtuse and boorish when a gentler touch would yield better results.

I guess Peter was not part of this movement when he cursed with pending death somebody who thought to purchase the gifts of God with money. I guess Paul was not part of this movement when he sarcastically ridiculed some of his followers who allowed a teacher among them who smote them. Nor was Jesus when he turned viciously upon the Pharisees and then the lawyers, nor John the Baptist saying, "You serpents, you brood of vipers!"

The point is, we need to have more than one tool in our toolbox, so long as we're using those tools to advance the righteousness of God.

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Dont sweat it bro we all have our own ways and Christ is at work in us all. Its not your style to be so obliging, Im the same if someone gets up my nose they will know it, I just think that I cant be bothered arguing over the same old BS all the time, the same stupid mistakes people make because their not fully committed to actually understanding what it is they hold too so fiercely. I mean if your gonna believe in a certain way surely you would do a little more toward understanding it. BAH!!
Your right about Peter, that he did at times display a fiery temper, but the other thing we notice about ol' Pete is that he changed a complete 180 by the time they hung him upside down on that cross. Pete never lost that fire, but the fire changed and we see this guy this cowardly and headstrong dude who makes foolish mistakes and puts his foot in his mouth turn in to a "Rock" the man who wrote 1st and 2nd Peter teaching a suffering people how to stand up against struggle and oppression by submission to those who persecute them.
Although I applaud this type of submission, I also dont think we should be bunch of pansy's, but in all this show compassion and respect. Some days I cant even come near this forum.

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Good points my brothers.

I am aware of scriptures where Jesus Himself goes off, as well as many other examples.
My point is this though - when those instances were actually happening, the Bible was not available right?
So now, if we come across any instigators, we can simply quote from scripture.

I do understand all too well about being goaded. In my past, I had this belief which I held firm to, that I would never start a fight, but then, neither would I back out, regardless of how big and scary the other fella might be. I was not afraid of a bleeding nose, and I was not afraid to break a nose
All I accomplished was that I was feared by a lot of people who knew me, or, who knew of my reputation. Also, I ended up doing quite a bit of time in jail, because of that belief.

Today, I am ashamed of my past. I was an idiot.

So, I was determined to stop that crap, and I began to stay away from situations where fights were likely to happen.

I liken physical altercations to verbal ones. Either way, Jesus never told me to try my best to stay away from attacking. He actually told me to turn the other cheek, and to love my enemy.
So, that's what I try to do. I can't put myself up on an equal platform with Jesus - so if Jesus decides He needs to throw some tables around, and whip some people, who am I to think that He is showing me how to do things? Jesus does some pretty violent things in Revelation, but that doesn't give me license to do the same right?

As I stated, there are going to be people watching - they are the people who are truly seeking THE TRUTH. If these people see me a Christian, going at it with, especially, another Christian...are they very likely to become more involved In Jesus, or, do you suppose they may just decide these Christians are full of crap like everyone else?

Look, I'm not perfect, I'm not better than any other human being on Earth, but I have a command from God Himself - turn the other cheek, and love they neighbor as we love ourselves - love your enemy!! What?! Really?! Yes, because that's what Jesus told us to do.

Does that mean I'm gonna let someone break into my house to rape my wife and murder my children? No, of course not, and I truly pity anyone who would ever try, because that's when I go postal. Jesus doesn't expect us to be stupid, But He does expect us to be faithful.

Anyway. I'm obviously not anyone's judge, and so I will always be a friend to you my brothers. All I'm asking is for us to at least try to always be conscience that there may very well be someone's soul on the line - some who may decide to accept or reject Jesus based on what they see us do, ok?

John

Reactions: lforrest

judd

Apr 2, 2010
Nigeria
:)

Bronzesnake said:
Hey.

John
The truth is, whatever the case may be, what ever argument, what ever pains and whatever generally, messages are received by people, good things are learned from our misunderstandings. We should learn to understand that not all messages are meant for us and not all messages require reply. :D and even what i just said will not be understood by all. cheers.

Reactions: HammerStone

Madad21

Boast in Christ
Dec 28, 2013
Jude said:
:)

The truth is, whatever the case may be, what ever argument, what ever pains and whatever generally, messages are received by people, good things are learned from our misunderstandings. We should learn to understand that not all messages are meant for us and not all messages require reply. :D and even what i just said will not be understood by all. cheers.
great reply!! :)

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Bronzesnake said:
Good points my brothers.

I am aware of scriptures where Jesus Himself goes off, as well as many other examples.
My point is this though - when those instances were actually happening, the Bible was not available right?
So now, if we come across any instigators, we can simply quote from scripture.

I do understand all too well about being goaded. In my past, I had this belief which I held firm to, that I would never start a fight, but then, neither would I back out, regardless of how big and scary the other fella might be. I was not afraid of a bleeding nose, and I was not afraid to break a nose
All I accomplished was that I was feared by a lot of people who knew me, or, who knew of my reputation. Also, I ended up doing quite a bit of time in jail, because of that belief.

Today, I am ashamed of my past. I was an idiot.

So, I was determined to stop that crap, and I began to stay away from situations where fights were likely to happen.

I liken physical altercations to verbal ones. Either way, Jesus never told me to try my best to stay away from attacking. He actually told me to turn the other cheek, and to love my enemy.
So, that's what I try to do. I can't put myself up on an equal platform with Jesus - so if Jesus decides He needs to throw some tables around, and whip some people, who am I to think that He is showing me how to do things? Jesus does some pretty violent things in Revelation, but that doesn't give me license to do the same right?

As I stated, there are going to be people watching - they are the people who are truly seeking THE TRUTH. If these people see me a Christian, going at it with, especially, another Christian...are they very likely to become more involved In Jesus, or, do you suppose they may just decide these Christians are full of crap like everyone else?

Look, I'm not perfect, I'm not better than any other human being on Earth, but I have a command from God Himself - turn the other cheek, and love they neighbor as we love ourselves - love your enemy!! What?! Really?! Yes, because that's what Jesus told us to do.

Does that mean I'm gonna let someone break into my house to rape my wife and murder my children? No, of course not, and I truly pity anyone who would ever try, because that's when I go postal. Jesus doesn't expect us to be stupid, But He does expect us to be faithful.

Anyway. I'm obviously not anyone's judge, and so I will always be a friend to you my brothers. All I'm asking is for us to at least try to always be conscience that there may very well be someone's soul on the line - some who may decide to accept or reject Jesus based on what they see us do, ok?

John
I'm having a hard time understanding this post. So you're saying that Jesus attacked the Pharisees for lack of a leather bound red letter KJV Bible? That's a disturbing argument from so many different angles.

And speaking of angles, I have another one to offer. I think that people who are on the receiving end of harsh words tend to shut down, never considering that the other person might have something to teach them. Regardless of how I sometimes come across on this forum, I have no enemies and I love everyone here. But even if somebody were to think me their enemy, there's a wise method to countenance me as an enemy:

• "I am your enemy, the first one you've ever had who was smarter than you. There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will ever tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you when he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. I am your enemy from now on. From now on, I am your teacher." --Mazer Rackham (character in Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card)
To believe that even one's enemies has something to teach is the mark of true humility.

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
"The truth is, whatever the case may be, what ever argument, what ever pains and whatever generally, messages are received by people, good things are learned from our misunderstandings. We should learn to understand that not all messages are meant for us and not all messages require reply. :D and even what i just said will not be understood by all. cheers."

Yes, well stated.

John
I'm having a hard time understanding this post. So you're saying that Jesus attacked the Pharisees for lack of a leather bound red letter KJV Bible? That's a disturbing argument from so many different angles.
What? How on earth could you extrapolate that from my post brother?

I'm not even discussing any bible version brother.
Jesus attacked thieves, who turned the Temple - The House of God, into a den of thieves!.

I was making a point that Jesus has authority, and truth so He can flip out on anyone He deems to need it.
Where as, I'm just suggesting that we "Christians" should make an honest effort not to be dragged into a pissing contest with posters who are actually trying to get a rise out of us.

I've had my own web site, still do actually, and I've had my own forums. I know for a fact that trolls sign up to Christian forums, and attempt to cause as many of us to go off the deep end as they possibly can.
So, I am suggesting (no one has to agree) that we Christians, should make every effort to keep calm, and respectful, even when other posters are not.

These knuckleheads were using God's House as a market, and Jesus did not like that at all.

Matthew 21:12 (great Rush album)

And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves.

John 2:15

And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

And speaking of angles, I have another one to offer. I think that people who are on the receiving end of harsh words tend to shut down, never considering that the other person might have something to teach them. Regardless of how I sometimes come across on this forum, I have no enemies and I love everyone here. But even if somebody were to think me their enemy, there's a wise method to countenance me as an enemy:
If you are suggesting that being harsh towards other posters is actually a positive teaching tactic, then I must wholeheartedly disagree brother.
I'm not even sure that is what you are saying because I am having a hard time deciphering your comments.

Let me be CLEAR. I am not attempting to force anyone into doing anything they don't want to do.
This post was simply asking the question "does anyone get tired of some of the bickering that goes on in Christian discussions and debates"?
I am suggesting that we should try and be as respectful, and level headed as we can.

I don't think Jesus would approve of a lot of the tactics, and shenanigans that go on through His own people.
So, you don't have to become involved, I'm simply asking. As you can see, there are Christian posters from this forum, who relate to what I'm saying, and want to try and be aware of our tone, and temperament when debating, or discussing with other posters.

It is my personal opinion that we Christians, can actually put people off when they see how nasty we can get. Especially people who are simply surfing and watching what we say, and how we act.

You do not have to get involved brother, and I certainly will not harbor any ill feelings toward you.
I have respect for you because I see there is an honest effort to be honest, and I also see you do respect others.

I'm not saying I'm better than anyone. I'm not trying to make anyone feel disrespect if they chose not to become involved.
I simply posed a question, and was looking for like-minded Christians who feel as I do.
I find it difficult at times, and I do come close to posting sarcastic replies when some poster is an obvious trouble maker. I am human, and there are ties I would just love to unload on some poster who is trying to get a rise out of me.

I'm making an honest effort to not allow myself to lose control.
I will respect all posters, I will not attack personally, or otherwise. I will remain calm, and I will ignore any poster who is an obvious troll, as I did with the young an who attempted to goad me into a pissing match over "Hell" being literal, or allegorical.

Once I discovered he was tolling for a fight, I told him I knew what he was up to, and I informed him that I would not correspond with him any longer.
He made a last desperate attempt at drawing me into his game board, and I ignored him.
I think that angers trolls more than any verbal assault. They thrive on conflict, and they crave attention. Ignoring a personality like that is torture for them.

So please don't feel obliged to join those of us who agree with my suggestion. I respect you - you are intelligent, and honest.

John

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Bronzesnake,

Though I can't address all of that post, there's a couple I would like to.

If you are suggesting that being harsh towards other posters is actually a positive teaching tactic, then I must wholeheartedly disagree brother.

Then we disagree. I think when people can't get past the hurt of somebody being harsh toward them, they can't possibly entertain the idea that the other person might have a valid point, something new to learn. If it isn't a positive teaching tactic, then I guess that Jesus and the apostles were amiss. Somehow thinking that having the Bible makes a difference in how we approach errant beliefs cannot be justified. In the apostolic days they had scripture too, and often quoted from it, but righteous anger was not lacking when appropriate and it's not denied to us either. If you think you can construct an argument to the contrary, I'd love to see you try.

I don't think Jesus would approve of a lot of the tactics, and shenanigans that go on through His own people.

I think you assume too much in imagining how God views our interactions and furthermore underestimate the power of conflict in ultimately strengthening the Church. The issue of the Trinity was settled by conflict and the Creeds were established as unifying doctrines. The Bible itself was settled by conflict, all of these things involving heated, passionate discussions, the hot forge through which enduring works emerged. These things all happened according to the will of God for His holy Church.

Now that's not to say you're entirely incorrect, but the shenanigans I'm thinking angers God the most are when people are misled and fleeced by unscrupulous teachers, when the net damage inflicted on his little children extends well beyond some hurt feelings. This is why Jesus cleansed the temple and this gives us a clue as to what provokes the Lord to hot anger. This display of anger was subdued or downright missing during the squabbles his disciples had, I don't think it matters as much as you believe.

So please don't feel obliged to join those of us who agree with my suggestion.

Don't try to disinvite me to a discussion that pertains to me. I think I know what poster you're referring to and I eventually put that person on ignore for the simple reason that he doesn't have an off switch, being nasty and snarky even in the eddies of peaceful conversation. He's the only one I have on ignore here because I'm not trigger happy. But I can be very harsh, most especially to the other Catholic on this forum who I believe perverts Christianity through the demonic philosophies of liberalism and relativity. I'm hoping that all Christians who try to reconcile the doctrine of demons with the pure word of God (What hath Christ to do with Belial?) see the error of their way and as the Bible says, "Come out of her!" forsaking the harlot and returning fully to the righteousness of God. So yes, I appropriately feel this thread is somewhat directed at me also....

But the difference is my posts are seasoned with compassion, or at least I make every effort to let it show. I love everyone here and I have no enemies. But I don't believe that discussion boards are for the faint of heart, the easily wounded. I've been doing this for well over a decade and I've learned the thicker of skin thrive better in debate formats and I've seen way too often how people who are easily hurt quickly spin out of a discussion and eventually the forum, never to be seen again. I just watched this with RANDOR and it pains me to see people give up so easily, perceiving malice and betrayal in what is nothing more than impassioned exchanges.

Don't be like that, people!

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
how people who are easily hurt quickly spin out of a discussion and eventually the forum, never to be seen again. I just watched this with RANDOR and it pains me to see people give up so easily, perceiving malice and betrayal in what is nothing more than impassioned exchanges.
Don't be like that, people!
Really?? :eek: I guess you know better than Jesus brother....A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion. - A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.
Sorry, but you have missed the point entirely.

And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil

Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil,

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

So then let us pursue what makes for peace and for mutual up-building.

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all

Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.

A man of wrath stirs up strife, and one given to anger causes much transgression

Good sense makes one slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook an offense

As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions

So, just saying.

John

This Vale Of Tears

Indian Papist
Jun 13, 2013
Idaho
Brother, you're in the wrong place if you don't like strife, this is a Christian discussion board. It's like showing up at a boxing event and wondering why people are hitting each other. I can eclectically go through the Bible too which you just did, to make it say only one thing and not the other. It's a cheap tactic and somewhat dishonest. I gave plenty of examples where holy men of God brought down harsh rebukes on the errant and your lame riposte to that was, "when those instances were actually happening, the Bible was not available right?"

You're getting hot under the collar even in your peace thread, calling me a fool like that. Perhaps you do have internet rage problems that you're projecting onto phantoms which you seemed to admit to earlier. What I do see is that you're not confident when placid waters become choppy and you attempt to control the situation by shutting down discussions. I've seen this enough to recognize this passive-aggressive, holier than thou pattern. So you're hurt and wounded and you started a thread so you can bleed all over it. I've got news for you, this "movement" will come to nothing, regardless of how many people expressed agreement. Everyone will continue to tergiversate between peaceful and rancorous temperaments according to their personalities, and the sin you try to indict upon people is nothing more than a sad display of an inept debater who can't handle it when things get rough.

You might want to consider that this isn't a good hobby for you. You aren't handling it very well. So, just saying.

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
StanJ said:

ROTFL, and it only took a few posts to get here.

The best thing to do is PRACTISE, not preach.
:lol: I second that Stan! Oh, hilarious...I almost soiled myself with laughter! :p

It's ok vale, we'll just have to go on without you...somehow! :p

John

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Bronzesnake said:
Hey.

John
That request is relative. There is nothing more annoying then dealing with a false teacher on the internet. At a church the elders would not allow them to speak or put them under discipline. Generally when nonsense comes out ones mouth its from a twisted and evil lifestyle that all internet users are oblivious too.

As long as

1. Our beliefs are supported by scripture
2. We are open to scriptural correction.
3. We respect scripture / believe it is the word of God.

If the above is ticked we just need to learn to accept that many are at different levels of insight. Patience and love helps growth. If we can't give that then we need someone to remind us of 1 Cor 11:31.

Paul sums it up best in Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.

Bronzesnake

Jul 31, 2014
Ontario, Canada
KingJ said:
That request is relative. There is nothing more annoying then dealing with a false teacher on the internet. At a church the elders would not allow them to speak or put them under discipline. Generally when nonsense comes out ones mouth its from a twisted and evil lifestyle that all internet users are oblivious too.

As long as

1. Our beliefs are supported by scripture
2. We are open to scriptural correction.
3. We respect scripture / believe it is the word of God.

If the above is ticked we just need to learn to accept that many are at different levels of insight. Patience and love helps growth. If we can't give that then we need someone to remind us of 1 Cor 11:31.

Paul sums it up best in Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Hello brother.
I'm not clear on what your point is.
Are you saying that it's ok to be disrespectful with people who are annoying, or people with false doctrine?

I can have a discussion with either of those types of people, and I don't have to get aggressive, or abusive, or disrespectful.
When we start attacking each other we are doing the enemies work for him.

I'm going to do my best to behave as though Jesus was watching...which by the way, He is.

Take care brother.

John