Life Everlasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 5-2-23 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Iyar 11 5783, 43rd. Spring Day

Today's Devotional

Read: John 17:3–12 | Bible in a Year: 1 Kings 12–13; Luke 22:1–20

Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. John 17:3

“Don’t be afraid of death, Winnie,” said Angus Tuck, “be afraid of the unlived life.” That quote from the book-turned-film Tuck Everlasting is made more interesting by the fact that it comes from a character who can’t die. In the story, the Tuck family has become immortal. Young Jesse Tuck, who falls in love with Winnie, begs her to seek immortality too so they can be together forever. But wise Angus understands that simply enduring forever doesn’t bring fulfillment.

Our culture tells us that if we could be healthy, young, and energetic forever, we would be truly happy. But that’s not where our fulfillment is found. Before He went to the cross, Jesus prayed for His disciples and for future believers. He said, “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent” (John 17:3). Our fulfillment in life comes from a relationship with God through faith in Jesus. He’s our hope for the future and joy for this present day.

Jesus prayed that His disciples would take on the patterns of new life: that they would obey God (v. 6), believe that Jesus was sent by God the Father (v. 8), and be united as one (v. 11). As believers in Christ, we look forward to a future eternal life with Him. But during these days we live on earth, we can live the “rich and satisfying life” (10:10 nlt) that He promised—right here, right now.

Where’s your joy and contentment found in this life? In what ways do you exhibit new life in Christ?
Jesus, help me take hold of the abundant life that You’ve given to me.

INSIGHT​

Jesus’ prayer in John 17 echoes the theme stated at the beginning of the gospel: eternal life is experienced through Christ, the Word of God (1:1, 4; see 3:16). Throughout John’s gospel, we see that there’s an inseparable union between God and Jesus. To know Christ is to know God (1:14, 18). John 17:3 makes this connection clear: “This is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” Through Christ, believers are drawn through the Spirit into experiencing the rich, joyous, and eternal life of the three-in-one God (Father, Son, and Spirit).
Learn more about Union with Christ.

By Karen Pimpo|May 2nd, 2023

Decision Making John Seventeen:3-12

3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

6 I have manifested thy name unto the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word.

7 Now they have known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee.

8 For I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and they have believed that thou didst send me.

9 I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine.

10 And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am glorified in them.

11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie