Light headed spells and would like some ideas of what it could be

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did she tell you the possible cause of the dehydration?
Yes my stomach problems I suffer from leave me dehydrated more than normal people. That and the heat episodes of summer. We just had some heat a few days ago. That and she said if I drink a cup of coffee it has to be followed by a cup of water.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes my stomach problems I suffer from leave me dehydrated more than normal people. That and the heat episodes of summer. We just had some heat a few days ago. That and she said if I drink a cup of coffee it has to be followed by a cup of water.
xxoo.gif

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm tossing around the idea of low BP but would have to research more on the internet to look at possible causes and consider if it's possible.
Do you have a BP cuff you can monitor your own pressure?

A BP cuff will also tell you if you're having irregular heartbeats, which can cause dizziness due to inconsistent BP to the brain. A cheap smart watch can also monitor your heartbeat.

Panic attacks can also cause dizzy spells, but you don't strike me as the type to have panic attacks.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have a BP cuff you can monitor your own pressure?

A BP cuff will also tell you if you're having irregular heartbeats, which can cause dizziness due to inconsistent BP to the brain. A cheap smart watch can also monitor your heartbeat.

Panic attacks can also cause dizzy spells, but you don't strike me as the type to have panic attacks.
Yes I'll monitor it for the next while and see if it keeps on happening. If it does then I should invest in BP monitoring equipment. Thanks for the advice. I used to have high BP.

I do get anxiety sometimes from my problems preventing me from engaging in normal life events. They make it difficult for me. But I've had low anxiety recently. And I'm familiar with what my anxiety does to me. Never had it cause faint spells. I used to have extreme anxiety in my 20's. Now it's under control.

But this didn't appear to be related to anxiety symptoms.

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes I'll monitor it for the next while and see if it keeps on happening. If it does then I should invest in BP monitoring equipment. Thanks for the advice. I used to have high BP.

I do get anxiety sometimes from my problems preventing me from engaging in normal life events. They make it difficult for me. But I've had low anxiety recently. And I'm familiar with what my anxiety does to me. Never had it cause faint spells. I used to have extreme anxiety in my 20's. Now it's under control.

But this didn't appear to be related to anxiety symptoms.
Ear infection can also cause the symptoms you mention.

Does it sometimes feel like your heart is going to explode? Like it's grown large in your chest?

This can also be a cause, heart or circulation issues.

Praying.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ear infection can also cause the symptoms you mention.

Does it sometimes feel like your heart is going to explode? Like it's grown large in your chest?

This can also be a cause, heart or circulation issues.

Praying.
Probably not. I am getting a stress test this month to check my heart.

Reactions: ButterflyJones

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps checking for Afib would be wise. It affects blood pressure and if not careful it can cause one to faint or pass out. And it comes and gos. It is pretty common these days. If not treated, it can cause a stroke.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps checking for Afib would be wise. It affects blood pressure and if not careful it can cause one to faint or pass out. And it comes and gos. It is pretty common these days. If not treated, it can cause a stroke.
Thanks, I'll check into it. My heart does skip beats but the cardiologist said it was benign.

Reactions: GTW27

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've had a couple light headed spells in the last two days, I think I almost passed out. Yesterday when it happened eventually I got shaky so I checked my blood sugar and it was 65 which is low so that could have been it I thought. Easy fix on that. But today it happened again so I checked my blood sugar and it was 111. So it's not low blood sugar.

If anyone has ideas of what it could be that would be nice. I may need to see a doctor over it, but if I can figure it out before hand then I can discuss with the doctor and I think that would be better.

Thanks!
Hi Devin, I was going to mention BP also, but I would also say dehydration. There are several foods and drugs that are diuretics, but also we simply forget to drink.

I keep a bottle of water sitting here at my desk because I get so involved with my work and I concentrate so hard on what I am doing that I forget to drink. If I forget to drink I also get muscle spasms. I try to drink an entire glass of water before bed, or if I am awakened by muscle spasms I get up and drink. This helps.

I try to keep drinking all day. Coffee or Coke will deplete your body of water, so you might reduce your coffee intake. or follow coffee up with a glass of water.

Anyway, when I feel an event coming on, sometimes I will take a Bayer and drink lots of water. Aspirin helps with inflammation, which affects blood pressure.

You realize that I am not prescribing anything. We simply need to learn how to read our own bodies better. Right? :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin, I was going to mention BP also, but I would also say dehydration. There are several foods and drugs that are diuretics, but also we simply forget to drink.

I keep a bottle of water sitting here at my desk because I get so involved with my work and I concentrate so hard on what I am doing that I forget to drink. If I forget to drink I also get muscle spasms. I try to drink an entire glass of water before bed, or if I am awakened by muscle spasms I get up and drink. This helps.

I try to keep drinking all day. Coffee or Coke will deplete your body of water, so you might reduce your coffee intake. or follow coffee up with a glass of water.

Anyway, when I feel an event coming on, sometimes I will take a Bayer and drink lots of water. Aspirin helps with inflammation, which affects blood pressure.

You realize that I am not prescribing anything. We simply need to learn how to read our own bodies better. Right? :)
I get muscle spasms too. Not sure what causes it, except it may be dehydration related due to my stomach problems. The doctor said to take magnesium supplements, so I bought a one a day vitamin to counter that. I know I'm getting enough electrolytes now. Maybe my problems relate to yours.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get muscle spasms too. Not sure what causes it, except it may be dehydration related due to my stomach problems. The doctor said to take magnesium supplements, so I bought a one a day vitamin to counter that. I know I'm getting enough electrolytes now. Maybe my problems relate to yours.
Sometimes muscle spasms are caused by muscle tension. Perhaps you know that muscles work in tandem with each other; one muscle pulls your hand up, the other muscle pulls your hand down. So, in order to temporarily relieve the pain, I force the opposite muscle to tense up, relieving the tension of the muscle that is causing the pain. (hopefully this helps)

But I suspect you are correct about electrolytes. My spasms seem like a misfire of the nerves and all I know is that drinking a glass of water helps.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes muscle spasms are caused by muscle tension. Perhaps you know that muscles work in tandem with each other; one muscle pulls your hand up, the other muscle pulls your hand down. So, in order to temporarily relieve the pain, I force the opposite muscle to tense up, relieving the tension of the muscle that is causing the pain. (hopefully this helps)

But I suspect you are correct about electrolytes. My spasms seem like a misfire of the nerves and all I know is that drinking a glass of water helps.
Yes you need to make sure you're levels of potassium, magnesium and sodium are appropriate in your body. You could switch water for Gatorade or PowerAID. That might help. Too much plain water can reduce the electrolytes in your body. Luckily my spasms aren't painful usually. Prayers for you too.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes you need to make sure you're levels of potassium, magnesium and sodium are appropriate in your body. You could switch water for Gatorade or PowerAID. That might help. Too much plain water can reduce the electrolytes in your body. Luckily my spasms aren't painful usually. Prayers for you too.
Thanks. Since you mentioned it, I take two scoops of a product called "Youngevity Beyond Tangy Tangerine 2.0 citrus peach fusion." Read the back of the label. :)
I also take one scoop of Humann "Superbeets" and a fish pill every day. I am a firm believer in supplementation. :) The fish pill is for my heart and the Superbeets is for my circulation and the Tangy Tangerine is for everything else.

I also take walks in the sunshine to help with vitamin D. :)

Anyway, I'm not trying to sell stuff, but after my heart failure a few years back I asked myself, "Do you want to live?" The answer came back "Yes, I want to be with my family as long as God allows. " So gave up Coke, beer, and most products containing sugar. I started exercising every day and I began to take supplements. I cut down on my stress levels and I began to sit quietly and relax. I haven't had a cold or the flu in many, many years. And I feel okay most of the time. Just occasional muscle spasms as I said.

Oh -- also, when I was younger I used to get very painful migraine headaches. I found out that keeping a regular sleep schedule made them go away. I used to stay up late on weekends and stay in bed on weekends. But now, no matter what day it is, I go to bed at the same time each night and I get up at the same time every day. And, for some reason, I don't need an alarm clock to get up.

Okay? Just an old guy sharing old-guy stuff. :) Thanks for the blessing and the prayers. Appreciate them.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll check into it. My heart does skip beats but the cardiologist said it was benign.
They said mine was benign in the beginning also. And then they found out how dangerous this can be. A holter monitor catches it when one is not in the doctors office.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They said mine was benign in the beginning also. And then they found out how dangerous this can be. A holter monitor catches it when one is not in the doctors office.
Oh, thanks. You I've been wondering because sometimes when my heart stops I feel a low in my chest like something is wrong. But then it always has started back up. I have a cardiologist that is going to run a stress test this month. Maybe that will show something?

• Sad
Reactions: thelord's_pearl

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, thanks. You I've been wondering because sometimes when my heart stops I feel a low in my chest like something is wrong. But then it always has started back up. I have a cardiologist that is going to run a stress test this month. Maybe that will show something?
Yes, in the beginning I also did a stress test. That is a money maker for them. What is needed is A ekg to show the heart rythem. But it must be done when you are in distress. That is hard to do as it comes and go's. A halter monitor is a devise you wear at home for a couple of days and it with monitor your heart rythem. There are many heart rythem problems. Afib is just one of them. Afib makes a person chances for a stroke increase as blood pools in the heart. A Blood thinner is usually prescribed to decrease the chances. And now the spiritual part. When I was at work and my heart beat was 160 and all over the place, to the point of having to go home I would take a break and go outside.There I would plead with The Lord for help. And He is faithful. On occasion a wind would come and I could perceive The Presence of The Lord. My heart would instantly return to normal rythem and then I could go back upstairs to finish my day. That, is The Lord we serve.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in the beginning I also did a stress test. That is a money maker for them. What is needed is A ekg to show the heart rythem. But it must be done when you are in distress. That is hard to do as it comes and go's. A halter monitor is a devise you wear at home for a couple of days and it with monitor your heart rythem. There are many heart rythem problems. Afib is just one of them. Afib makes a person chances for a stroke increase as blood pools in the heart. A Blood thinner is usually prescribed to decrease the chances. And now the spiritual part. When I was at work and my heart beat was 160 and all over the place, to the point of having to go home I would take a break and go outside.There I would plead with The Lord for help. And He is faithful. On occasion a wind would come and I could perceive The Presence of The Lord. My heart would instantly return to normal rythem and then I could go back upstairs to finish my day. That, is The Lord we serve.
Yes I had a heart monitor on a while back because I was having dizzy spells. They said everything was OK. But about a few months ago I went into the doctors and my heart rythm got up to 120 which was strange. Hmmm. Well I'll keep it in mind. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Reactions: GTW27

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I've checked possible causes of low BP and the only thing I think could relate is dehydration. This also came up in my other thread under "brittle diabetes" as I suffered from severe thirst episodes and thought it was diabetes.

I have stomach problems which could lead to dehydration. It was hot two days ago to about four days ago. My stomach problems have been better for a few days now too.

Hmm, I'm thinking dehydration is causing episodes of low BP, easy fix then.
A word of caution-energy drinks with caffeine might also be problematic Dev.
I don't know how much is your intake daily.
Johann.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A word of caution-energy drinks with caffeine might also be problematic Dev.
I don't know how much is your intake daily.
Johann.
I only drink one per week. Normally it's coffee, but I've been drinking coffee daily for over 7 years now and only had two episodes of light headed spells a couple days ago. Nothing since. Thanks Johann for the helpful tip. I'll keep that in mind.

Reactions: Johann