LINE UPON LINE BIBLE STUDY

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simply stated, Isaiah 28 isn't a recommendation for a teaching method, it's the description of how certain people were infantile in their understanding.

Much love!

So you didn't read the rest... of that Isaiah 28 chapter? like verses 23-29?

It is... about a specific Bible study method, the one that God Himself reveals. When reading the Isaiah 28:13 verse, it is pointing out how understanding in The Word of God is, "... precept upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little...;". And for that reason, those who refuse to do it that way fall backward, become snared, and taken in deception.

That point was actually covered earlier in Isaiah 8, which involved a history of the "kingdom of Israel" (northern ten tribe kingdom at Samaria), and how they relied more on the king of Assyria instead of God, so God brought the Assyrians upon them, and is giving them warning. But He also included a warning of the Assyrian coming through Judah also, which points more towards the very end of this world just prior to Christ's future coming, since the king of Assyria never conquered Judah-Jerusalem, but will try to in the last days.

The only... way to understand that is to stay line upon line with the flow of the chapter...

Isa 8:4-17
4 For before the child shall have knowledge to cry, "My father, and my mother", the riches of Damascus and the spoil of Samaria shall be taken away before the king of Assyria.

The subject of the coming Assyrian is continued from the Isaiah 7 chapter. Isaiah is told by God the child's name Maher-shalal-hash-baz means 'he hastenth to take the spoil, he speed to seize the prey'. The child was to be a sign of the coming Assyria to destroy.

5 The LORD spake also unto me again, saying,
6 'Forasmuch as this people refuseth the waters of Shiloah that go softly, and rejoice in Rezin and Remaliah's son;
7 Now therefore, behold, the Lord bringeth up upon them the waters of the river, strong and many, even the king of Assyria, and all his glory: and he shall come up over all his channels, and go over all his banks:
8 And he shall pass through Judah; he shall overflow and go over, he shall reach even to the neck; and the stretching out of his wings shall fill the breadth of thy land, O Immanuel.

That is a subject turn from the destruction of Samaria, the northern ten tribe kingdom that the king of Assyria would take per 2 Kings 17 and remove all the ten tribes captive to Assyria, and instead to the Assyrian coming upon Judea-Jerusalem, which is for the latter days. God uses that waters as a flood metaphor even about the dragon-serpent of Revelation 12 that is cast down to the earth for the time of future great tribulation, and goes after the symbolic woman that keep God's commandments and have the Testimony of Jesus Christ.

9 Associate yourselves, O ye people, and ye shall be broken in pieces; and give ear, all ye of far countries: gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces; gird yourselves, and ye shall be broken in pieces.

10 Take counsel together, and it shall come to nought; speak the word, and it shall not stand: for God is with us.

That is actually what the joining of nations of today is about, today's movement towards a "one world government", which is to be the Revelation 13 beast kingdom of ten horns, seven heads, and ten crowns, lasting 42 months with power over all... nations. God is saying, "Go ahead, join yourselves. I'm going to bring it all down!"

11 For the LORD spake thus to me with a strong hand, and instructed me that I should not walk in the way of this people, saying,
12 "Say ye not, 'A confederacy', to all them to whom this people shall say, 'A confederacy'; neither fear ye their fear, nor be afraid.
13 Sanctify the LORD of hosts Himself; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread.

God told Isaiah to not proclaim what those deceived do, with saying, "A confederacy", with that joining of nations. Instead, let Him be our fear, fear Him instead, which points to our need to RESPECT what God has said, and put our TRUST IN HIM instead. Apostle Paul showed in the last days just prior to Christ's future return, the deceived will be saying, "Peace and safety", revealing this confederacy of nations is what the deceived put their trust in, and not in God.

14 And He shall be for a sanctuary; but for a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both the houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
15 And many among them shall stumble, and fall, and be broken, and be snared, and be taken.

And there it is, God and His Word shall be "... a stone of stumbling and for a rock of offence to both houses of Israel, for a gin and for a snare to the inhabitants of Jerusalem. And many among them shall STUMBLE, AND FALL, AND BE BROKEN, AND BE SNARED, AND BE TAKEN. Why is that? Because they do not STAY in His Word line upon line. They instead teach and follow their 'own' word.

16 Bind up the testimony, seal the law among My disciples.
17 And I will wait upon the LORD, That hideth His face from the house of Jacob, and I will look for Him.
KJV

Christ's true disciples know to wait upon The LORD to come, even though for the latter days He hides His face from the house of Jacob (both houses of Israel), which will occur during the coming "great tribulation" by the symbolic "Assyrian."

God's faithful saints under His Son Jesus Christ that do STAY in His Word line upon line, are His DISCIPLES. That word disciple involves the word discipline. Jesus said if you STAY in His Word you will be His disciples indeed, and The Truth will make you free. That is about getting understanding... in His Word by that line upon line discipline. Apostle Paul in 2 Timothy 2:15 even called that idea as becoming a "workman" in The Word, showing oneself approved of God by doing it that way.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Simply stated, Isaiah 28 isn't a recommendation for a teaching method, it's the description of how certain people were infantile in their understanding.

Much love!

Infantile means immature or childish. Thumb-sucking and temper tantrums are examples of infantile behavior. Doctors use the word infantile just like you'd expect: to describe things having to do with infants or babies.

I wonder what behaviour occurs on this forum to confirm this POV.

Reactions: marks

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

I’m not sure what you mean because of
1 Corinthians 10:6. For example it is pretty significant to me with all the debates over what was Paul referring to when he said they would have given him their eyes …was it glaucoma? After reading the below due to this thread where they said they were a people with no eyes…it helps with the significance of “you would have given me your eyes” but then Paul goes on into “where is that blessed hope you spoke of?” Asking them “do you now instead hate me because I tell you the truth?”

Isaiah 59:10 Lexicon: We grope along the wall like blind men, We grope like those who have no eyes; We stumble at midday as in the twilight, Among those who are vigorous we are like dead men.

Isaiah 59:9-10 Therefore is judgment far from us, neither doth justice overtake us: we wait for light, but behold obscurity; for brightness, but we walk in darkness. [10] We grope for the wall like the blind, and we grope as if we had no eyes: we stumble at noonday as in the night; we are in desolate places as dead men.

To me it lines up with both
Romans 3:9-19, and Isaiah 59:7-13…which leads into His looking for truth but saw none, so the question for me is what truth was Paul telling them? And why did they, now, hate him because of it when before they would have given him their own eyes?

Isaiah 59:14-16 And judgment is turned away backward, and justice stands afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. [15] Yea, truth fails; and he that departs from evil makes himself a prey: and the Lord saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment. [16] And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Infantile means immature or childish. Thumb-sucking and temper tantrums are examples of infantile behavior. Doctors use the word infantile just like you'd expect: to describe things having to do with infants or babies.

I wonder what behaviour occurs on this forum to confirm this POV.

Too much I think!

1 Corinthians 14:20 KJV
Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
it's the description of how certain people were infantile in their understanding.
Much love!

Sort of like Diaper Baby Christians who are confessing sin for 50 yrs, worry about losing their salvation while they chase "tongues".
Paul says we are to GO ON, get past all that thumb sucking self righteousness, and grow up into real spirituality.

Hebrews 6:1-4

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbelievable, we now have in this thread those who use the character trait 'infantile' to point to those who won't study God's Word line upon line, while actually denying... that line upon line Bible study is the method that God is recommending there in Isaiah 28!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about baptism?
How would you teach it!

there are many verses but there not verse by verse but found in many books!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Unbelievable, we now have in this thread those who use the character trait 'infantile' to point to those who won't study God's Word line upon line, while actually denying... that line upon line Bible study is the method that God is recommending there in Isaiah 28!

Davy, if we study the bible "Line upon line" without the context of all of scripture, then we are not really studying the or meditating on the scriptures.

I can study the scriptures and come to a conclusion that is not in the scriptures because I have not considered the full wisdom of all of the scriptures.

I am told to read the scriptures literally and accept what the is literal without taking into consideration what the Holy Spirit may be prompting me to read to come to a very different understanding.

Christ told us that the sower on his journey to the fertile field will scatter seed along the way to the prepared field where he intends to scatter the seed and the seed will take root and grow and produce heads of seed 30, 40, 60 and even 100 fold because it has been scattered in the prepared field. It is interesting that Jesus was using the prepared field as the place where the Israelites will be planted in the field prepared by Christ and that the contextual understanding where prophecy talks of God gathering the Israelites to himself that He speaks of planting them in the soil (H:0127) of Israel, His servant Christ and that He will teach them based on the foundation truth that will come down out of heaven at the time that God establishes His everlasting Kingdom on the face of the earth, in our near future, that then becomes the largest mountain in all of the earth, that will become the mountain of Israel His faithful servant.

I wonder if, reading the parable of the sower, line by line, whether or not, we would get to that place of understanding if we did not drill down past the scholarly understanding expressed within our translated, i.e. "English," Bibles and let the spirit guide us in our understanding.

It is my view that if we adopt a line upon line approach to studying the scriptures, that we will become ensnared, and fall over backwards, trapped in our unbelief.

Shalom

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Davy, if we study the bible "Line upon line" without the context of all of scripture, then we are not really studying the or meditating on the scriptures.

I can study the scriptures and come to a conclusion that is not in the scriptures because I have not considered the full wisdom of all of the scriptures.

I am told to read the scriptures literally and accept what the is literal without taking into consideration what the Holy Spirit may be prompting me to read to come to a very different understanding.

Christ told us that the sower on his journey to the fertile field will scatter seed along the way to the prepared field where he intends to scatter the seed and the seed will take root and grow and produce heads of seed 30, 40, 60 and even 100 fold because it has been scattered in the prepared field. It is interesting that Jesus was using the prepared field as the place where the Israelites will be planted in the field prepared by Christ and that the contextual understanding where prophecy talks of God gathering the Israelites to himself that He speaks of planting them in the soil (H:0127) of Israel, His servant Christ and that He will teach them based on the foundation truth that will come down out of heaven at the time that God establishes His everlasting Kingdom on the face of the earth, in our near future, that then becomes the largest mountain in all of the earth, that will become the mountain of Israel His faithful servant.

I wonder if, reading the parable of the sower, line by line, whether or not, we would get to that place of understanding if we did not drill down past the scholarly understanding expressed within our translated, i.e. "English," Bibles and let the spirit guide us in our understanding.

It is my view that if we adopt a line upon line approach to studying the scriptures, that we will become ensnared, and fall over backwards, trapped in our unbelief.

Shalom

No, a line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible study definitely does not... create a snare to one's understanding. To think it does is almost as bad as saying one can't learn anything by reading and study.

I realize God's Word is different than all known literature by man, simply because God's Word was written by The Holy Spirit through men, like Apostle Peter said (2 Peter 1:21). So reading The Bible is one thing, but understanding The Bible with the help of The Holy Spirit is another. And Jesus promised The Holy Spirit Comforter would teach His servants all things (John 14:26). And for The Comforter to do that, one must first be a sincere believer on The Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

In my Bible studies over the years, I can personally testify that a seemingly obscure Scripture I had read back in The Old Testament prophets immediately was brought back to memory when studying a prophesy in The New Testament. That was The Holy Spirit working. Yet I don't believe The Holy Spirit would have reminded me of that Scripture if I hadn't first studied The Old Testament line upon line, chapter by chapter.

There's another thing that line upon line Bible study does, with The Holy Spirit helping, especially in the Books of the prophets. God gave Scripture through His Old Testament prophets in such a way as to cover prophetic events that are now history, but also mixed within those Scriptures are prophecies that are still yet future. We can be reading of an event that happened back in Old Testament history, and within a single verse the timeline pointer can shift to the future, even future to us still. It's like God intentionally hid those prophecies within OT history so only His faithful "workmen" in His Word would discover them. Those aware of that have done that by line upon line Bible study, while those not aware think the Old Testament Books are all dead history.

There's so many easy ways to know if someone is actually truly 'studied' in God's Word or not. Those who are not have missed a lot. Thus Apostle Paul meant what he said to Timothy in 2 Timothy 2:15, to become a "workman" in God's Word, rightly dividing The Word of Truth. Can't do that 'rightly dividing' without a line upon line method.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, a line upon line, chapter by chapter Bible study definitely does not... create a snare to one's understanding. To think it does is almost as bad as saying one can't learn anything by reading and study.
The referenced Isaiah scripture has EVERYTHING to do with the mindset one takes when approaching scripture.

I note that the line-upon-line, precept-upon-precept, a-little-here, a-little-there mindset didn't help you understand what God was saying through Isaiah.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Good point.

because it has been scattered in the prepared field. It is interesting that Jesus was using the prepared field as the place where the Israelites will be planted in the field prepared by Christ and that the contextual understanding where prophecy talks of God gathering the Israelites to himself that He speaks of planting them in the soil (H:0127) of Israel

when reading your post “It is interesting that Jesus was using the prepared field as the place where the Israelites will be planted in the field prepared by Christ” “He speaks of planting them in the soil (H:0127) of Israel”
Is also a good point. When I think of that which has prepared by Christ where the Israelites will be planted, planting them in the soil of Israel … reminds me of and makes a pretty strong point for “he is a Jew, which is one inwardly” which planting is by God and not men. Circumcision of the heart which Circumcision is by God, Circumcision made without hands? Deuteronomy 30:5-6

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God. Romans 2:29 Because: Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: [7] Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called. Romans 9:6-7

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The referenced Isaiah scripture has EVERYTHING to do with the mindset one takes when approaching scripture.

I note that the line-upon-line, precept-upon-precept, a-little-here, a-little-there mindset didn't help you understand what God was saying through Isaiah.

Now you are MAKING UP LIES. May God rebuke you, you white-washed wall.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

while speaking of prosperity teachers mentioned in this thread as a case for taking scriptures out of context instead of staying line upon line, chapter upon chapter. I would suggest (just an opinion) they become snared and captured because they do not look at the whole of the Word. They see blessing or prosperity and stay within the literal meaning and never ask or look at any other meaning in the Word for prosperity or blessing. They stay within the confines that he has to be talking money or healing has to only mean God with miraculously make the cripple to stand up so they preach and teach within only the confines and restraints of the literal; becoming ensnared and captured along with those they convince. My opinion, although that is only what it is …an opinion that comes from when I became sick with an physical illness and was so afraid …the first thing I did was turn to His word for answers, and for promised healing. I use to listen wholeheartedly to Bill Johnson from Bethel. I had all the healing verses taped to my walls for over a year. All I wanted from God was physical healing so I could be on my way. But then one day I started pulling down those verses taught and started asking about…what other healing does God speak of? I started asking about spiritual healing realizing I was far worst sick then the manifestation of a physical illness. I started taking a closer look at what God had to say about what it truly means to be blessed, or healed. In the whole of His Word. Was He only talking money? Was He only talking healing physical ailments? So we say those prosperity teaches after money and fame pull out verses and that is the snare, but maybe the snare is not considering the whole of the Word of God and seeking whether it is all about money and fame…or what is to prosper. Instead, the teachers stay held captured in the confines of literally so they must be true, or truly snared and captured by what the heart wants it seeks?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lambano

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States