• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
6 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John.
7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe.
8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.
John 1:1-11

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

John's gospel was written to add the spiritual dimension to the more historical gospels, to teach theology and origins. The big question being raised by believers was who was Jesus?

John wishes to answer this, by showing how Jesus could be eternal, part of the trinity yet not be the Father, but a human man, who walked and spoke with men. John introduces this subject starting with Jesus as the Word, or rather the Word showing himself as Jesus the man.

This is why John spends so much time explaining who the Word is.
Heretics and blind fools will not see this truth, because for them to admit Jesus is God is to destroy what they believe and admit they do not know Him. It has been illuminating to read how a concept someone cannot accept which is clearly laid out must mean something else.

Jesus is God in human form, to which the elect testify.

16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
Matt 16:16-17

This is only discerned via the Holy Spirit so those not born again, brought into the Kingdom will not see it, and will look for any other explanation, because their hearts will turn away from God as do every sinner on earth. It is the nature of our hearts out of communion with the Father.

God bless
Yes no one can say:

"Jesus is LORD" except by the Spirit !

Amen !

Reactions: 101G

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
this is what Diversified Oneness do, since no man could walk in God footsteps, so God came in Natural flesh to show us how to walk with him, and at the same time redeeming us from sin and the Law.

I wouldn't go out on that limb... Matthew 24:22 "And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened."

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

On the subject of revelation, one guy told me I needed to see justification and righteousness correctly and have this heavenly experience to walk as Jesus walked, and another that his revelation had been given to him one to one by Jesus, so whatever I shared that did not agree with him was wrong. I tried to get him to reveal what it was that represented his revelation in theology and words, but he continually failed to summarise it correctly or at all.

So I am a little cynical of convoluted revelation rather than simple repent, believe you are loved and walk in it. Its like knowing your parents love you, when you know it, you do not need some odd belief system to show its true. I get the feeling so many feel betrayed and disappointed by the simple truths they look for something else. One believer told me when I repeated a creed, that I was hiding behind its words. He obviously did not see the beauty in the summaries and it was not his heart expression, and therefore saw me as something fake.

You cannot fake what is in ones heart, it is what brings light to a day, and shines in the darkness.
God bless you

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the subject of revelation, one guy told me I needed to see justification and righteousness correctly and have this heavenly experience to walk as Jesus walked, and another that his revelation had been given to him one to one by Jesus, so whatever I shared that did not agree with him was wrong. I tried to get him to reveal what it was that represented his revelation in theology and words, but he continually failed to summarise it correctly or at all.

So I am a little cynical of convoluted revelation rather than simple repent, believe you are loved and walk in it. Its like knowing your parents love you, when you know it, you do not need some odd belief system to show its true. I get the feeling so many feel betrayed and disappointed by the simple truths they look for something else. One believer told me when I repeated a creed, that I was hiding behind its words. He obviously did not see the beauty in the summaries and it was not his heart expression, and therefore saw me as something fake.

You cannot fake what is in ones heart, it is what brings light to a day, and shines in the darkness.
God bless you
only one verse is needed, Micah 6:8.

PICJAG

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
only one verse is needed, Micah 6:8.

PICJAG
8 He hath showed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth Jehovah require of thee, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Micah 6:8

This is true except it is a purely aesthetic view on life without Jesus. If Micah summarised all that was needed to resolve mankinds separation from God Jesus would not have come and died upon the cross.

The problem in our hearts is though we desire aesthetism we are incapable of achieving it, because by ourselves our motivations and emotional turmoil is too much. The best aesthetic life is the hermit, except this is reducing life to a minimum without human interaction, which is just abdication of the emotional issues and relationship responsibility. Jesus called us to be in the world but not of it.

My summary of our goal is to achieve a community who love one another as Christ loved us, which is victory over sin and death.
God bless you

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is true except it is a purely aesthetic view on life without Jesus. If Micah summarised all that was needed to resolve mankinds separation from God Jesus would not have come and died upon the cross.
First thanks for the reply. second, ERROR, Jesus can to restore the FELLOWSHIP with God, not the RELATIONSHIP, what was cut off was our, enjoyment of the RELATIONSHIP. sin never severed the ties of RELATIONSHIP, it just the fellowship that was broken. the Lord Jesus, God restored that FELLOWSHIP. as one poster put it why was God in the OT angry? not at us but our sin. see God could have wiped us out completely with the floow. but that RELATIONSHIP was never broken.
The problem in our hearts is though we desire aesthetism we are incapable of achieving it
well FollowHim you just answered your own question, listen, Romans 8:20 "For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope," BINGO.
My summary of our goal is to achieve a community who love one another as Christ loved us, which is victory over sin and death.
God bless you
well man could not do either. hence God came and died for our sins. and as Loving one another, is all of mankind doing that today? I'll answer that for for you, NO, not even everyone even in the so-called christian community. now am I lying?, no because I can give many example right here on this community board or Forum.

PICJAG

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 . . In the beginning was the word;

The Greek word translated "word" in that verse is logos (log'-os) which
refers to spoken words as opposed to words in print.

For example: were someone to take a Bible down into a deep dark cave and
quote Gen 1:3 loudly and forcefully, nothing would happen. The cave would
continue in deep darkness just as before.

But now if God were down there, and He said "Let there be light" the place
would immediately brighten up.

The thing is: we have a written record of God's spoken words, but they lack
the dynamite that His words have when He speaks them.

According to John 1:14, God's spoken words took on the nature of human
life. How it's possible for His spoken words to be anything else but His
spoken words, I haven't a clue; but if God's spoken words can become
human, then there are no doubt many other things they can become.
_

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 . . In the beginning was the word;

The Greek word translated "word" in that verse is logos (log'-os) which
refers to spoken words as opposed to words in print.

For example: were someone to take a Bible down into a deep dark cave and
quote Gen 1:3 loudly and forcefully, nothing would happen. The cave would
continue in deep darkness just as before.

But now if God were down there, and He said "Let there be light" the place
would immediately brighten up.

The thing is: we have a written record of God's spoken words, but they lack
the dynamite that His words have when He speaks them.

According to John 1:14, God's spoken words took on the nature of human
life. How it's possible for God's spoken words to be anything else but His
spoken words, I haven't a clue; but if God's spoken words can become human,
then there are no doubt many other things His spoken words can become.
_
correct it is spoken. the word of God is God himself.

PICJAG

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As I understand it; only the words God speaks are Himself; rather than His
words quoted in print.
_
agreed, because John got it right, John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

John 6:63 "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

PICJAG

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Jehovah's Witnesses sincerely believe that John 1:1 is talking about an
angel. However, I seriously doubt that angels come flying out of God's
mouth when He speaks.
_

Reactions: 101G

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First thanks for the reply. second, ERROR, Jesus can to restore the FELLOWSHIP with God, not the RELATIONSHIP, what was cut off was our, enjoyment of the RELATIONSHIP. sin never severed the ties of RELATIONSHIP, it just the fellowship that was broken. the Lord Jesus, God restored that FELLOWSHIP. as one poster put it why was God in the OT angry? not at us but our sin. see God could have wiped us out completely with the floow. but that RELATIONSHIP was never broken.

well FollowHim you just answered your own question, listen, Romans 8:20 "For the creature was made subject to vanity, not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope," BINGO.

well man could not do either. hence God came and died for our sins. and as Loving one another, is all of mankind doing that today? I'll answer that for for you, NO, not even everyone even in the so-called christian community. now am I lying?, no because I can give many example right here on this community board or Forum.

PICJAG
You state the relationship has not been lost. My use of the term relationship is there is give and take on both sides. The enemies of God have no give and want to take all they can.

Some hold all sin is now forgiven, so it's the believing in Jesus that defines salvation. I suspect you have a different balance so I await your filling in the ideas.

For me, it's all about communion with God in our hearts. This requires opening up to love and the risk of rejection, healing of wounds and being prepared to forgive. All those who reject Jesus's reality find this step irrelevant, which illuminates what spiritual reality is.

Jesus emphasises His words dwelling in our minds brings life. I now understand this because God provides promises that build the foundations in our hearts. It is the reality of eternity.

God bless you

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was with God in the beginning.
3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
4 In him was life, and that life was the light of men.
5 The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.
6 There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John.
7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe.
8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9 The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.
10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.
11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.
John 1:1-11

14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
John 1:14

John's gospel was written to add the spiritual dimension to the more historical gospels, to teach theology and origins. The big question being raised by believers was who was Jesus?

John wishes to answer this, by showing how Jesus could be eternal, part of the trinity yet not be the Father, but a human man, who walked and spoke with men. John introduces this subject starting with Jesus as the Word, or rather the Word showing himself as Jesus the man.

This is why John spends so much time explaining who the Word is.
Heretics and blind fools will not see this truth, because for them to admit Jesus is God is to destroy what they believe and admit they do not know Him. It has been illuminating to read how a concept someone cannot accept which is clearly laid out must mean something else.

Jesus is God in human form, to which the elect testify.

16 Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
17 Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.
Matt 16:16-17

This is only discerned via the Holy Spirit so those not born again, brought into the Kingdom will not see it, and will look for any other explanation, because their hearts will turn away from God as do every sinner on earth. It is the nature of our hearts out of communion with the Father.

God bless

The rendering of "the Word was God" in Bibles such as the King James Bible (published in 1611 by King James of England), the Catholic Douay (published 1582 in Rheims, France), Latin Vulgate (published in 405 C.E. by Jerome), etc. does not have "leg to stand on". And why ?

Because the translators were already prejudiced towards the Trinity when these Bible were written, unwilling to keep bias "out of the picture". Koine Greek, in which the last 27 books of the Bible were written (or the Christian Greek Scriptures, also called "the New Testament"), had a definite article such as "the", but did not have an indefinite article that left words as uncertain, such as "the man" that identifies a specific person, while "a man" leaves things unclear.(During the 15th to the 17th centuries, it was considered a crime to not accept the trinity, causing many to be burned on stakes for rejecting the trinity; see John Foxe's Book of Martyrs, published in 1554 C.E. in Latin, as well as Jean Crespin's Book of Martyrs, published also in 1554 C.E. in French)

At John 1:1, the apostle John, to ensure that there is no ambiguity, places a definite article before "Word" or "the Word" both times to identify who he is specifically speaking of, and a definite article before the first instance of "God" or "the God", but does not do so in the last instance of "god", leaving it indefinite or "a god".

The Christian Greek Scriptures was later translated from Koine Greek into other languages, such as Syriac, Latin and Coptic (spoken in Egypt, in which the Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt has between 6 to 11 million members), but of these languages, only Coptic has an indefinite article, and is very similar to English in its grammar.

Regarding the earliest Coptic translations of the Bible, The Anchor Bible Dictionary says: “Since the [Septuagint] and the [Christian Greek Scriptures] were being translated into Coptic during the 3d century C.E., the Coptic version is based on [Greek manuscripts] which are significantly older than the vast majority of extant witnesses.”

Scholar Thomas O. Lambdin (leading scholar of Semitic and Egyptian languages, born in 1927 and died in May 2020) in his work Introduction to Sahidic Coptic, says: “The use of the Coptic articles, both definite and indefinite, corresponds closely to the use of the articles in English.”

Hence, the Coptic translation supplies interesting evidence as to how John 1:1 would have been understood back then. What do we find ? The Sahidic Coptic translation uses an indefinite article with the word “god” in the final part of John 1:1.

Thus, when rendered into modern English, the translation reads: “And the Word was a god.” Evidently, those ancient translators realized that John’s words recorded at John 1:1 did not mean that Jesus was to be identified as Almighty God. The Word was a god, not Almighty God.

The text of John 1:1 in Sahidic Coptic reads: "In the beginning existed the Word
and the Word existed with
the God and a god was
the Word".(SAHIDIC COPTIC TEXT; P. CHESTER BEATTY-813; WITH INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION, at the Chester Beatty Library, Dublin, Ireland)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rendering of "the Word was God" in Bibles such as the King James Bible (published in 1611 by King James of England), the Catholic Douay (published 1582 in Rheims, France), Latin Vulgate (published in 405 C.E. by Jerome), etc. does not have "leg to stand on". And why ?

Because the translators were already prejudiced towards the Trinity when these Bible were written, unwilling to keep bias "out of the picture". Koine Greek, in which the last 27 books of the Bible were written (or the Christian Greek Scriptures, also called "the New Testament"), had a definite article such as "the", but did not have an indefinite article that left words as uncertain, such as "the man" that identifies a specific person, while "a man" leaves things unclear.(During the 15th to the 17th centuries, it was considered a crime to not accept the trinity, causing many to be burned on stakes for rejecting the trinity; see John Foxe's Book of Martyrs, published in 1554 C.E. in Latin, as well as Jean Crespin's Book of Martyrs, published also in 1554 C.E. in French)

At John 1:1, the apostle John, to ensure that there is no ambiguity, places a definite article before "Word" or "the Word" both times to identify who he is specifically speaking of, and a definite article before the first instance of "God" or "the God", but does not do so in the last instance of "god", leaving it indefinite or "a god".

The Christian Greek Scriptures was later translated from Koine Greek into other languages, such as Syriac, Latin and Coptic (spoken in Egypt, in which the Coptic Orthodox Church in Egypt has between 6 to 11 million members), but of these languages, only Coptic has an indefinite article, and is very similar to English in its grammar.

Regarding the earliest Coptic translations of the Bible, The Anchor Bible Dictionary says: “Since the [Septuagint] and the [Christian Greek Scriptures] were being translated into Coptic during the 3d century C.E., the Coptic version is based on [Greek manuscripts] which are significantly older than the vast majority of extant witnesses.”

Scholar Thomas O. Lambdin (leading scholar of Semitic and Egyptian languages, born in 1927 and died in May 2020) in his work Introduction to Sahidic Coptic, says: “The use of the Coptic articles, both definite and indefinite, corresponds closely to the use of the articles in English.”

Hence, the Coptic translation supplies interesting evidence as to how John 1:1 would have been understood back then. What do we find ? The Sahidic Coptic translation uses an indefinite article with the word “god” in the final part of John 1:1.

Thus, when rendered into modern English, the translation reads: “And the Word was a god.” Evidently, those ancient translators realized that John’s words recorded at John 1:1 did not mean that Jesus was to be identified as Almighty God. The Word was a god, not Almighty God.

The text of John 1:1 in Sahidic Coptic reads: "In the beginning existed the Word
and the Word existed with
the God and a god was
the Word".(SAHIDIC COPTIC TEXT; P. CHESTER BEATTY-813; WITH INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION, at the Chester Beatty Library, Dublin, Ireland)

Your unitarian argument is completely bogus and has no substance as proven by all there real N.T. Greek Scholars, Grammarians, Linguistic Experts and Theologians below.

Omission of the article with "Theos" does not mean the word is "a god." If we examine the passages where the article is not used with "Theos" we see the rendering "a god" makes no sense (Mt 5:9, 6:24; Lk 1:35, 78; 2:40; Jn 1:6, 12, 13, 18; 3:2, 21; 9:16, 33; Ro 1:7, 17, 18; 1 Co 1:30; 15:10; Phil 2:11, 13; Titus 1:1). The "a god" position would have the Jehovah's Witnesses translate every instance where the article is absent. As "a god (nominative), of a god (genitive), to or for a god (dative)." But they do not! "Theou" is the genitive case of the SAME noun "Theos" which they translate as "a god" in John 1:1. But they do not change "Theou" "of God" (Jehovah), in Matthew 5:9, Luke 1:35, 78; and John 1:6. The J.W.’s are not consistent in their biblical hermeneutics they have a bias which is clearly seen throughout their bible.

Other examples-In Jn.4:24 "God is Spirit, not a spirit. In 1 Jn .4:16 "God is love, we don’t translate this a love. In 1 Jn.1:5 "God is light" he is not a light or a lesser light.

WHAT DO GREEK SCHOLARS THINK ABOUT JEHOVAH'S WITNESS TRANSLATION OF JOHN 1:1?

Dr. J. J. Griesback: "So numerous and clear are the arguments and testimonies of Scriptures in favor of the true Deity of Christ, that I can hardly imagine how, upon the admission of the Divine authority of Scripture, and with regard to fair rules of interpretation, this doctrine can by any man be called in doubt. Especially the passage John 1:1 is so clear and so superior to all exception, that by no daring efforts of either commentators or critics can it be snatched out of the hands of the defenders of the truth."

Dr. Eugene A. Nida (Head of the Translation Department of the American Bible Society Translators of the GOOD NEWS BIBLE): "With regard to John 1:1 there is, of course, a complication simply because the NEW WORLD TRANSLATION was apparently done by persons who did not take seriously the syntax of the Greek". ( Bill and Joan Cetnar Questions for Jehovah's Witnesses "who love the truth" p..55

Dr. William Barclay (University of Glasgow, Scotland): "The deliberate distortion of truth by this sect is seen in their New Testament translations. John 1:1 translated:'. . . the Word was a god'.a translation which is grammatically impossible. it is abundantly clear that a sect which can translate the New Testament like that is intellectually dishonest. THE EXPOSITORY TIMES Nov, 1985

Dr. B. F. Westcott (Whose Greek text is used in JW KINGDOM INTERLINEAR): "The predicate (God) stands emphatically first, as in 4:24. It is necessarily without the article . . . No idea of inferiority of nature is suggested by the form of expression, which simply affirms the true Deity of the Word . . . in the third clause `the Word' is declared to be `God' and so included in the unity of the Godhead." The Gospel According to St. John (Eerdmans,1953- reprint) p. 3, (The Bible Collector, July-December, 1971, p. 12.)

Dr. Anthony Hoekema, commented: Their New World Translation of the Bible is by no means an objective rendering of the sacred text into Modern English, but is a biased translation in which many of the peculiar teachings of the Watchtower Society are smuggled into the text of the Bible itself (The Four Major Cults, pp. 238, 239].

Dr. Ernest C. Colwell (University of Chicago): "A definite predicate nominative has the article when it follows the verb; it does not have the article when it precedes the verb; . . .this statement cannot be regarded as strange in the prologue of the gospel which reaches its climax in the confession of Thomas. `My Lord and my God.' " John 20:28

Dr. F. F. Bruce (University of Manchester, England): "Much is made by Arian amateur grammarians of the omission of the definite article with `God' in the phrase `And the Word was God'. Such an omission is common with nouns in a predicate construction. `a god' would be totally indefensible."

Dr. Paul L. Kaufman (Portland OR.): "The Jehovah's Witness people evidence an abysmal ignorance of the basic tenets of Greek grammar in their mistranslation of John 1:1."

Dr. Charles L. Feinberg (La Mirada CA.): "I can assure you that the rendering which the Jehovah's Witnesses give John 1:1 is not held by any reputable Greek scholar."

Dr. Robert Countess, who wrote a doctoral dissertation on the Greek text of the New World Translation, concluded that the The Christ of the New World Translation "has been sharply unsuccessful in keeping doctrinal considerations from influencing the actual translation .... It must be viewed as a radically biased piece of work. At some points it is actually dishonest. At others it is neither modern nor scholarly "78 No wonder British scholar H.H. Rowley asserted, "From beginning to end this volume is a shining example of how the Bible should not be translated."79 Indeed, Rowley said, this translation is "an insult to the Word of God."

Dr. Harry A. Sturz: (Dr. Sturz is Chairman of the Language Department and Professor of Greek at Biola College) "Therefore, the NWT rendering: "the Word was a god" is not a "literal" but an ungrammatical and tendential translation. A literal translation in English can be nothing other than: "the word was God." THE BIBLE COLLECTOR July - December, 1971 p. 12

Dr. J. Johnson of California State University, Long Beach. When asked to comment on the Greek, said, "No justification whatsoever for translating theos en ho logos as 'the Word was a god'. There is no syntactical parallel to Acts 23:6 where there is a statement in indirect discourse. Jn.1:1 is direct.. I am neither a Christian nor a Trinitarian.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continued

DO ANY REPUTABLE GREEK SCHOLARS AGREE WITH THE NEW WORLD TRANSLATION OF JOHN 1:1?

A. T. Robertson: "So in John 1:1 theos en ho logos the meaning has to be the Logos was God, -not God was the Logos." A New short Grammar of the Greek Testament, AT. Robertson and W. Hersey Davis (Baker Book House, p. 279.

E. M. Sidebottom:"...the tendency to write 'the Word was divine' for theos en ho Iogos springs from a reticence to attribute the full Christian position to john. The Christ of the Fourth Gospel (S.P.C.K., 1961), p. 461.

C. K. Barrett: "The absence of the article indicates that the Word is God, but is not the only being of whom this is true; if ho theos had been written it would have implied that no divine being existed outside the second person of the Trinity." The Gospel According to St. John (S.P.C.K., 1955), p. 76.

C. H. Dodd: "On this analogy, the meaning of _theos en ho logos will be that the ousia of ho logos, that which it truly is, is rightly denominated theos... That is the ousia of ho theos (the personal God of Abraham,) the Father goes without saying. In fact, the Nicene homoousios to patri is a perfect paraphrase." "New Testament Translation Problems the bible Translator, 28, 1 (Jan. 1977), P. 104.

Randolph 0. Yeager: "Only sophomores in Greek grammar are going to translate ..and the Word was a God.' The article with logos, shows that to logos is thesubject of the verb en and the fact that theos is without the article designates it as the predicate nominative. The emphatic position of theos demands that we translate '...and the Word was God.' John is not saying as Jehovah's Witnesses are fond of teaching that Jesus was only one of many Gods. He is saying precisely the opposite." The Renaissance New Testament, Vol. 4 (Renaissance Press, 1980), P. 4.

Henry Alford: "Theos must then be taken as implying God, in substance and essence,--not ho theos, 'the Father,' in person. It noes not = theios; nor is it to be rendered a God--but, as in sarx engeneto, sarx expresses that state into which the Divine Word entered by a-definite act, so in theos en, theos expresses that essence which was His en arche:--that He was very God . So that this first verse must be connected thus: the Logos was from eternity,--was with God (the Father),--and was Himself God." (Alford's Greek Testament: An Exegetical and Critical Commentary, Vol. I, Part II Guardian 'press 1976 ; originally published 1871). p. 681.

Donald Guthrie: "The absence of the article with Theos has misled some into t inking teat the correct understanding of the statement would be that 'the word was a God' (or divine), but this is grammatically indefensible since Theos is a predicate." New Testament Theology (InterVarsity Press, 1981), p. 327.

Bruce M. Metzger, Professor of New Testament Language and literature at Princeton Theological Seminary said: "Far more pernicious in this same verse is the rendering, . . . `and the Word was a god,' with the following footnotes: " `A god,' In contrast with `the God' ". It must be stated quite frankly that, if the Jehovah's Witnesses take this translation seriously, they are polytheists. In view of the additional light which is available during this age of Grace, such a representation is even more reprehensible than were the heathenish, polytheistic errors into which ancient Israel was so prone to fall. As a matter of solid fact, however, such a rendering is a frightful mistranslation." "The Jehovah's Witnesses and Jesus Christ," Theology Today (April 1953), p. 75.

James Moffatt: "'The Word was God . . .And the Word became flesh,' simply means he Word was divine . . . . And the Word became human.' The Nicene faith, in the Chalcedon definition, was intended to conserve both of these truths against theories that failed to present Jesus as truly God and truly man ...." Jesus Christ the Same (Abingdon-Cokesbury, 1945), p. 61.

E. C. Colwell: "...predicate nouns preceding the verb cannot be regarded as indefinite -or qualitative simply because they lack the article; it could be regarded as indefinite or qualitative only if this is demanded by the context,and in the case of John l:l this is not so." A Definite Rule for the Use of the Article in the Greek New Testament," Journal of Biblical Literature, 52 (1933), p. 20.

Philip B. Harner: "Perhaps the clause could be translated, 'the Word had the same nature as God.' This would be one way of representing John's thought, which is, as I understand it,"that ho logos, no less than ho theos, had the nature of theos.""(Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns Mark 15:39 and John 1:1," journal of Biblical Literature, 92, 1 (March 1973), p. 87.

Philip Harner states in the Journal of Biblical Literature, 92, 1 (March 1973) on Jn.1:1 "In vs. 1c the Johannine hymn is bordering on the usage of 'God' for the Son, but by omitting the article it avoids any suggestion of personal identification of the Word with the Father. And for Gentile readers the line also avoids any suggestion that the Word was a second God in any Hellenistic sense." (pg. 86. Harner notes the source of this quote: Brown, John I-XII, 24)

Julius R. Mantey; "Since Colwell's and Harner's article in JBL, especially that of Harner, it is neither scholarly nor reasonable to translate John 1:1 'The Word was a god.' Word-order has made obsolete and incorrect such a rendering .... In view of the preceding facts, especially because you have been quoting me out of context, I herewith request you not to quote the Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament again, which you have been doing for 24 years." Letter from Mantey to the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. "A Grossly Misleading Translation .... John 1:1, which reads 'In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God,' is shockingly mistranslated, 'Originally the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god,' in a New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures, published under the auspices o Jehovah's Witnesses." Statement JR Mantey, published in various sources.

Many of these Greek scholars are world-renowned whose works the Jehovah's Witnesses have quoted in their publications to help them look reputable. Westcott is the Greek scholar who with Hort edited the Greek text of the New Testament used by the Jehovah's Witnesses. Yeager is a professor of Greek and the star pupil of Julius Mantey. Metzger is the world's leading scholar on the-textual criticism of the Greek New Testament. It is scholars of this quality who insist that John l: l cannot be taken to mean anything less than that the Word is the one true Almighty God.letusreason

hope this helps !!!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."
God in flesh, in a G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') state as a man, is in reference to John 1:1c . because Deuteronomy 32:39 puts an end to any "god" small cae "g" in god. Deuteronomy 32:39 "See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand."

"and there is no god with me". well if the WORD was "WITH" God in John 1:1b, then the WORD cannot be "god" as a separate enitity "WITH" God, because Deuteronomy 32:39 eliminates that argument.

as pointed out God is "with" himself in Flesh as a man. this is the beauity of "diversified Oneness". GOD "shared" in flesh as a MAN. supportive scriptures,

#1. Psalms 82:6 "I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High."
here the term "gods" is the hebrew word,
H430 אֱלֹהִים 'elohiym (el-o-heem') n-m.
אֱלֹהֵי 'elohiy (el-o-hee') [alternate plural]
1. (literally) supreme ones.
2. (hence, in the ordinary sense) gods.
3. (specifically, in the plural, especially with the article) the Supreme God (i.e. the all supreme).
4. (sometimes) supreme, used as a superlative.
5. (occasionally, by way of deference) supreme magistrates, the highest magistrates of the land.
6. (also) the supreme angels (entities of unspecified type).
[plural of H433]
KJV: angels, X exceeding, God (gods)(-dess, -ly), X (very) great, judges, X mighty.
Root(s): H433
Compare: H5945, H7706, H8199, H4397

here, "gods", small cas "g" is used for, as definition #5 for JUDGES

NOW SCRIPTURE #2.

#2. John 10:34 "Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?" in reference to Psalms 82:6 above, and here "gods" is the Greek word,
G2316 θεός theos (the-os') n.
1. (properly, in Greek) a god or deity. a supernatural, powerful entity (real or imagined).
2. (by Hebraism, especially with G3588) God, the Supreme Being, the Creator, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Yahweh by name.
3. (figuratively) a supreme magistrate (in the land).
[of uncertain affinity]
KJV: X exceeding, God, god(-ly, -ward)
See also: G2304, G2299, G3588, H430

here in definition #3. as well as in Definition #5 in the above hebrew definition, it is clear that God in Flesh as, as, as, a "MAN" is Judge of all flesh.
so John 1:1 is stating that God is diversified in flesh as a man who is JUDGE of all flesh.

supportive scriptures.
#1. God as a man. Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."

the IMAGE of GOD is God in Flesh....... MAN.

#2. God as Judge. Genesis 49:8 "Judah, thou art he whom thy brethren shall praise: thy hand shall be in the neck of thine enemies; thy father's children shall bow down before thee."Genesis 49:9 "Judah is a lion's whelp: from the prey, my son, thou art gone up: he stooped down, he couched as a lion, and as an old lion; who shall rouse him up?"Genesis 49:10 "The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be."Genesis 49:11 "Binding his foal unto the vine, and his ass's colt unto the choice vine; he washed his garments in wine, and his clothes in the blood of grapes:"Genesis 49:12 "His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk."

there it is. BINGO.

PICJAG