Looking for sincerity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Someone says :

Roman 1:1
[KJV] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
[NKJV] 1 Paul, a bondservant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated to the gospel of God
[NLT] 1 This letter is from Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his Good News.
[NIV] 1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God--
[ESV] 1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
[CSB] 1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called as an apostle and set apart for the gospel of
God --
[NASB20] 1 Paul, a bond-servant of Christ Jesus, called [as] an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God,
[LSB] 1 Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called [as] an apostle, having been set apart for the gospel of God,
[NET] 1 From Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God.
[RSV] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God
[ASV] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
[YLT] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, a called apostle, having been separated to the good news of God --
[DBY] 1 Paul, bondman of Jesus Christ, [a] called apostle, separated to God's glad tidings,
[WEB] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called [to be] an apostle, separated to the gospel of God,
[HNV] 1 Sha'ul, a servant of Yeshua the Messiah, called to be an apostle, set apart for the Good News of God,
[BBE] 1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, an Apostle by the selection of God, given authority as a preacher of the good news,

What about that (or ANY of these) translations is CORRUPT?

• The letter WAS written by Paul, from Paul, and that is why it begins with his name … see the letter from James for another example of First Century Letter Writing etiquette.
  • GOD did choose Paul to be an Apostle (that is how one becomes an Apostle)
  • What you appear to be railing against is Formal Equivalence vs Dynamic Equivalence as a translation philosophy … which is nonsensical since there is no such thing as a “literal translation” … most words do not have EXACT parallels in other languages and idioms require some form of Dynamic Equivalence to be meaningful.
So, what EXACTLY is “corrupt” in any of the translations of Romans 1:1 presented above?

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
- My answer :

- Here is what I wrote some time ago:

- Here all the versions (in Biblehub) seem to transmit the same message except one the Contemporary English Version !

- Contemporary English Version seems to indicate that it is easier to understand but it is corrupt !

- Here it says « God chose me to be an apostle, and he appointed me to preach the good news » !

- But all the other versions only say Paul a servant or slave of Christ Jesus and the gospel of God !

- And the original text shows it is not so !

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Someone says :

All the other FORMAL EQUIVALENCE emphasis translations, but not other DYNAMIC EQUIVALENCE emphasis translations. The former was more concerned with communicating the original WORDS and SYNTAX as closely as possible, while the latter is more concerned with communicating the underlying MEANING as closely as possible.

How many “Gospels” or “Good News” from how many sources are there that it is critical to differentiate that THIS is the Good News from God and not one of the many other Gospels presented in the Bible? You appear to be straining gnats. Just use another translation if you prefer a different one … this does not rate a “Jihad” against the CEV for not following Formal Equivalence to your satisfaction.

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
- My answer :

- With underlying meaning you can go anywhere !

- « God chose me to be an apostle, and he appointed me to preach the good news » has nothing to do with the original text !

- What you call underlying meaning may seem so for you, but not for everybody !

- Now when you say « this does not rate a “Jihad” against the CEV for not following Formal Equivalence to your satisfaction », it clearly shows you have no idea what it means comparing translations !

- One example is nothing !

- You have to compare a chapter, then a whole book, then different books, then the whole Bible !

- Then you can get conclusions !

- But just with one example speaking of a Jihad, it’s completely ridiculous !

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:21 (Biblehub)

For

Διότι (Dioti)

Conjunction

Strong's 1360: On this account, because, for. From dia and hoti; on the very account that, or inasmuch as.

although they knew

γνόντες (gnontes)

Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

God,

Θεὸν (Theon)

Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular

Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

they neither glorified [Him]

ἐδόξασαν (edoxasan)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 1392: To glorify, honor, bestow glory on. From doxa; to render glorious.

as

ὡς (hōs)

Adverb

Strong's 5613: Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. In that manner.

God

Θεὸν (Theon)

Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

[nor]

ἢ (ē)

Conjunction

Strong's 2228: Or, than. A primary particle of distinction between two connected terms; disjunctive, or; comparative, than.

gave thanks [to Him],

ηὐχαρίστησαν (ēucharistēsan)

Strong's 2168: From eucharistos; to be grateful, i.e. to express gratitude; specially, to say grace at a meal.

but

ἀλλὰ (alla)

Conjunction

Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

they became futile

ἐματαιώθησαν (emataiōthēsan)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 3154: To become vain or foolish, be perverted. From mataios; to render foolish, i.e. wicked or, idolatrous.

in

ἐν (en)

Preposition

Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

thinking

διαλογισμοῖς (dialogismois)

Noun - Dative Masculine Plural

Strong's 1261: From dialogizomai; discussion, i.e. consideration, or debate.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

darkened

ἐσκοτίσθη (eskotisthē)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 4654: To darken. From skotos; to obscure.

in their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

foolish

ἀσύνετος (asynetos)

Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular

Strong's 801: Unintelligent, without wisdom, unwise, undiscerning (implying probably moral defect). By implication, wicked.

hearts.

καρδία (kardia)

Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular

Strong's 2588: Prolonged from a primary kar; the heart, i.e. the thoughts or feelings; also the middle.

New Living Translation

Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas OF WHAT GOD WAS LIKE. AS A RESULT, THEIR MINDS BECAME DARK AND CONFUSED.

- CORRUPTION

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:22 (Biblehub)

Although they claimed

φάσκοντες (phaskontes)

Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 5335: To assert, affirm, profess. Prolongation from the same as phemi; to assert.

to be

εἶναι (einai)

Verb - Present Infinitive Active

Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

wise,

σοφοὶ (sophoi)

Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 4680: Wise, learned, cultivated, skilled, clever. Akin to saphes; wise.

they became fools,

ἐμωράνθησαν (emōranthēsan)

Strong's 3471: From moros; to become insipid; figuratively, to make as a simpleton.

New Living Translation

Claiming to be wise, they instead became utter fools.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:23 (Biblehub)

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

exchanged

ἤλλαξαν (ēllaxan)

Strong's 236: To change, alter, exchange, transform. From allos; to make different.

the

τὴν (tēn)

Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

glory

δόξαν (doxan)

Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 1391: From the base of dokeo; glory, in a wide application.

of the

τοῦ (tou)

Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

immortal

ἀφθάρτου (aphthartou)

Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular

Strong's 862: Indestructible, imperishable, incorruptible; hence: immortal. Undecaying.

God

Θεοῦ (Theou)

Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular

for

ἐν (en)

Preposition

Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

images

εἰκόνος (eikonos)

Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular

Strong's 1504: An image, likeness, bust. From eiko; a likeness, i.e. statue, profile, or representation, resemblance.

of mortal

φθαρτοῦ (phthartou)

Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular

Strong's 5349: Corruptible, perishable. From phtheiro; decayed, i.e. perishable.

man

ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)

Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

birds

πετεινῶν (peteinōn)

Noun - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 4071: A bird, fowl. Neuter of a derivative of petomai; a flying animal, i.e. Bird.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

animals

τετραπόδων (tetrapodōn)

Adjective - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 5074: Four-footed. From tessares and pous; a quadruped.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

reptiles.

ἑρπετῶν (herpetōn)

Noun - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 2062: Neuter of a derivative of herpo; a reptile, i.e. (compare remes) a small animal.

New Living Translation

And instead of WORSHIPING the glorious, ever-living God, they WORSHIPED idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.

- CORRUPTION

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:24 (Biblehub)

Therefore

Διὸ (Dio)

Conjunction

Strong's 1352: Wherefore, on which account, therefore. From dia and hos; through which thing, i.e. Consequently.

God

Θεὸς (Theos)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular

gave them over

παρέδωκεν (paredōken)

Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 3860: From para and didomi; to surrender, i.e yield up, intrust, transmit.

in

ἐν (en)

Preposition

the

ταῖς (tais)

Article - Dative Feminine Plural

desires

ἐπιθυμίαις (epithymiais)

Noun - Dative Feminine Plural

Strong's 1939: Desire, eagerness for, inordinate desire, lust. From epithumeo; a longing.

of

τῶν (tōn)

Article - Genitive Feminine Plural

their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

hearts

καρδιῶν (kardiōn)

Noun - Genitive Feminine Plural

Strong's 2588: Prolonged from a primary kar; the heart, i.e. the thoughts or feelings; also the middle.

to

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

impurity

ἀκαθαρσίαν (akatharsian)

Strong's 167: Uncleanness, impurity. From akathartos; impurity, physically or morally.

for the

τοῦ (tou)

Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

dishonoring

ἀτιμάζεσθαι (atimazesthai)

Verb - Present Infinitive Middle or Passive

Strong's 818: To disgrace, treat disgracefully, dishonor, insult; I despise. From atimos; to render infamous, i.e. contemn or maltreat.

of their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

bodies

σώματα (sōmata)

Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

with

ἐν (en)

Preposition

[one another].

αὐτοῖς (autois)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

New Living Translation

So God abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, THEY DID VILE AND DEGRADING THINGS with each other’s bodies.

- CORRUPTION

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:25 (Biblehub)

[They]

οἵτινες (hoitines)

Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 3748: Whosoever, whichsoever, whatsoever.

exchanged

μετήλλαξαν (metēllaxan)

Strong's 3337: To change, transform, alter, exchange. From meta and allasso; to exchange.

the

τὴν (tēn)

truth

ἀλήθειαν (alētheian)

Strong's 225: From alethes; truth.

of God

Θεοῦ (Theou)

for

ἐν (en)

Preposition

a lie,

ψεύδει (pseudei)

Noun - Dative Neuter Singular

Strong's 5579: A lie, falsehood, untruth; false religion. From pseudomai; a falsehood.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

worshiped

ἐσεβάσθησαν (esebasthēsan)

Strong's 4573: To worship, stand in awe of. Middle voice from a derivative of sebomai; to venerate, i.e. Adore.

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

served

ἐλάτρευσαν (elatreusan)

Strong's 3000: To serve, especially God, perhaps simply: I worship. From latris; to minister, i.e. Render religious homage.

created things

κτίσει (ktisei)

Noun - Dative Feminine Singular

Strong's 2937: From ktizo; original formation.

rather than

παρὰ (para)

Preposition

Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

the

τὸν (ton)

Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

Creator,

Κτίσαντα (Ktisanta)

Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Singular

Strong's 2936: To create, form, shape, make, always of God. Probably akin to ktaomai; to fabricate, i.e. Found.

who

ὅς (hos)

Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular

Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

is

ἐστιν (estin)

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

forever

αἰῶνας (aiōnas)

Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.

worthy of praise!

εὐλογητὸς (eulogētos)

Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular

Strong's 2128: (used only of God), blessed (as entitled to receive blessing from man), worthy of praise. From eulogeo; adorable.

Amen.

ἀμήν (amēn)

Hebrew Word

Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

New Living Translation

They traded the truth about God for a lie. So they worshiped and served the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! Amen.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:26 (Biblehub)

For this reason

Διὰ (Dia)

Preposition

Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

God

Θεὸς (Theos)

gave them over

παρέδωκεν (paredōken)

Strong's 3860: From para and didomi; to surrender, i.e yield up, intrust, transmit.

to

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

dishonorable

ἀτιμίας (atimias)

Strong's 819: Disgrace, dishonor; a dishonorable use. From atimos; infamy, i.e. comparative indignity, disgrace.

passions.

πάθη (pathē)

Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 3806: Suffering, emotion, depraved passion, lust. From the alternate of pascho; properly, suffering, i.e. a passion.

Even

τε (te)

Conjunction

Strong's 5037: And, both. A primary particle of connection or addition; both or also.

their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

women

θήλειαι (thēleiai)

Adjective - Nominative Feminine Plural

Strong's 2338: Female. From the same as thelazo; female.

exchanged

μετήλλαξαν (metēllaxan)

Strong's 3337: To change, transform, alter, exchange. From meta and allasso; to exchange.

natural

φυσικὴν (physikēn)

Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 5446: Natural, (a) according to nature, (b) merely animal. From phusis; 'physical', i.e. instinctive.

relations

χρῆσιν (chrēsin)

Strong's 5540: Use, manner of use. From chraomai; employment, i.e., sexual intercourse.

for

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

unnatural

φύσιν (physin)

Strong's 5449: From phuo; growth, i.e. natural production; by extension, a genus or sort; figuratively, native disposition, constitution or usage.

[ones].

τὴν (tēn)

New Living Translation

That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex AND INSTEAD INDULGED IN SEX WITH EACH OTHER.

- CORRUPTION

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:27 (Biblehub)

Likewise,

ὁμοίως (homoiōs)

Adverb

Strong's 3668: In like manner, similarly, in the same way, equally. Adverb from homoios; similarly.

the

οἱ (hoi)

Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

men

ἄρσενες (arsenes)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 730: Male. Arsen probably from airo; male.

abandoned

ἀφέντες (aphentes)

Strong's 863: From apo and hiemi; to send forth, in various applications.

natural

φυσικὴν (physikēn)

Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular

Strong's 5446: Natural, (a) according to nature, (b) merely animal. From phusis; 'physical', i.e. instinctive.

relations

χρῆσιν (chrēsin)

Strong's 5540: Use, manner of use. From chraomai; employment, i.e., sexual intercourse.

with

τῆς (tēs)

Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

women

θηλείας (thēleias)

Adjective - Genitive Feminine Singular

Strong's 2338: Female. From the same as thelazo; female.

[and] burned

ἐξεκαύθησαν (exekauthēsan)

Strong's 1572: To blaze out, be inflamed. From ek and kaio; to inflame deeply.

with

ἐν (en)

Preposition

lust

ὀρέξει (orexei)

Strong's 3715: Strong desire, lust, appetite. From oregomai; excitement of the mind, i.e. Longing after.

for

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

one another.

ἀλλήλους (allēlous)

Personal / Reciprocal Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 240: One another, each other. Genitive plural from allos reduplicated; one another.

Men

ἄρσενες (arsenes)

Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

committed

κατεργαζόμενοι (katergazomenoi)

Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 2716: From kata and ergazomai; to work fully, i.e. Accomplish; by implication, to finish, fashion.

indecent [acts]

ἀσχημοσύνην (aschēmosynēn)

Strong's 808: From askemon; an indecency; by implication, the pudenda.

with

ἐν (en)

Preposition

[other] men,

ἄρσεσιν (arsesin)

and

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

received

ἀπολαμβάνοντες (apolambanontes)

Strong's 618: From apo and lambano; to receive; also to take aside.

in

ἐν (en)

Preposition

themselves

ἑαυτοῖς (heautois)

Reflexive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

the

τὴν (tēn)

due

ἔδει (edei)

Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

penalty

ἀντιμισθίαν (antimisthian)

Strong's 489: A reward, recompense, retribution. From a compound of anti and misthos; requital, correspondence.

for

τῆς (tēs)

Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

their

αὐτῶν (autōn)

error.

πλάνης (planēs)

Strong's 4106: Feminine of planos; objectively, fraudulence; subjectively, a straying from orthodoxy or piety.

New Living Translation

And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:28 (Biblehub)

Furthermore,

Καὶ (Kai)

Conjunction

since

καθὼς (kathōs)

Adverb

Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.

they did not see fit

ἐδοκίμασαν (edokimasan)

Strong's 1381: From dokimos; to test; by implication, to approve.

to acknowledge

ἔχειν (echein)

Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

God,

Θεὸν (Theon)

[He]

Θεὸς (Theos)

gave them up

παρέδωκεν (paredōken)

to

εἰς (eis)

Preposition

a depraved

ἀδόκιμον (adokimon)

Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular

Strong's 96: Failing to pass the test, unapproved, counterfeit. By implication, worthless.

mind,

νοῦν (noun)

Strong's 3563: Probably from the base of ginosko; the intellect, i.e. Mind; by implication, meaning.

to do

ποιεῖν (poiein)

Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

what

τὰ (ta)

Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

ought not to be done.

καθήκοντα (kathēkonta)

Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 2520: To come down, come to; To be unfit, proper. From kata and heko; to reach to, i.e. becoming.

New Living Translation

Since they thought it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their foolish thinking and let them do things that should never be done.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:29 (Biblehub)

They have become filled with

πεπληρωμένους (peplērōmenous)

Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 4137: From pleres; to make replete, i.e. to cram, level up, or to furnish, satisfy, execute, finish, verify, etc.

every kind of

πάσῃ (pasē)

Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular

Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

wickedness,

ἀδικίᾳ (adikia)

Strong's 93: Injustice, unrighteousness, hurt. From adikos; injustice; morally, wrongfulness.

evil,

πονηρίᾳ (ponēria)

Strong's 4189: Wickedness, iniquities. From poneros; depravity, i.e., malice; plural plots, sins.

greed,

πλεονεξίᾳ (pleonexia)

Strong's 4124: Covetousness, avarice, aggression, desire for advantage. From pleonektes; avarice, i.e. fraudulency, extortion.

[and] hatred.

κακίᾳ (kakia)

Strong's 2549: From kakos; badness, i.e. depravity, or malignity, or trouble.

[They are] full

μεστοὺς (mestous)

Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural

Strong's 3324: Full, filled with. Of uncertain derivation.

of envy,

φθόνου (phthonou)

Strong's 5355: Envy, a grudge, spite. Probably akin to the base of phtheiro; ill-will, i.e. Jealousy.

murder,

φόνου (phonou)

Strong's 5408: Murder, slaughter, killing. From an obsolete primary pheno; murder.

strife,

ἔριδος (eridos)

Strong's 2054: Contention, strife, wrangling. Of uncertain affinity; a quarrel, i.e. wrangling.

deceit,

δόλου (dolou)

Strong's 1388: Deceit, guile, treachery. From an obsolete primary verb, dello; a trick, i.e. wile.

[and] malice.

κακοηθείας (kakoētheias)

Strong's 2550: Evil-mindedness, malignity, malevolence. From a compound of kakos and ethos; bad character, i.e. mischievousness.

[They are] gossips,

ψιθυριστάς (psithyristas)

Strong's 5588: A whisperer, secret slanderer. From the same as psithurismos; a secret calumniator.

New Living Translation

Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:30 (Biblehub)

slanderers,

καταλάλους (katalalous)

Strong's 2637: Slanderous, back-biting; subst: a railer, defamer. From kata and the base of laleo; talkative against, i.e. A slanderer.

God-haters,

θεοστυγεῖς (theostygeis)

Strong's 2319: Hating God, hateful to God. From theos and the base of stugnetos; hateful to God, i.e. Impious.

insolent,

ὑβριστάς (hybristas)

Strong's 5197: An insolent, insulting, or violent man. From hubrizo; an insulter, i.e. Maltreater.

arrogant,

ὑπερηφάνους (hyperēphanous)

Strong's 5244: Proud, arrogant, disdainful. From huper and phaino; appearing above others, i.e. haughty.

[and] boastful.

ἀλαζόνας (alazonas)

Strong's 213: A boaster, one who gives one's self airs in a loud and flaunting way. From ale; braggart.

[They] invent

ἐφευρετὰς (epheuretas)

Strong's 2182: An inventor, contriver, discoverer. From a compound of epi and heurisko; a discoverer, i.e. Contriver.

[new] forms of evil;

κακῶν (kakōn)

Adjective - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 2556: Bad, evil, in the widest sense. Apparently a primary word; worthless, i.e. depraved, or injurious.

they disobey

ἀπειθεῖς (apeitheis)

Strong's 545: Unbelieving, disobedient, who will not be persuaded. Unpersuadable, i.e. Contumacious.

[their] parents.

γονεῦσιν (goneusin)

Strong's 1118: A begetter, father; plur: parents. From the base of ginomai; a parent.

New Living Translation

They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:31 (Biblehub)

[They are] senseless,

ἀσυνέτους (asynetous)

Strong's 801: Unintelligent, without wisdom, unwise, undiscerning (implying probably moral defect). By implication, wicked.

faithless,

ἀσυνθέτους (asynthetous)

Strong's 802: Not covenanting, untrue to an agreement, treacherous. Properly, not agreed, i.e. Treacherous to compacts.

heartless,

ἀστόργους (astorgous)

Strong's 794: Unloving, devoid of affection. Hard-hearted towards kindred.

merciless.

ἀνελεήμονας (aneleēmonas)

Strong's 415: Unpitying, unmerciful, without compassion, cruel. Merciless.

New Living Translation

They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy.

- CORRECT

JLG

Sep 19, 2022
PARIS
Faith
Christian
Country
France
Romans 1:32 (Biblehub)

[Although they]

οἵτινες (hoitines)

Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 3748: Whosoever, whichsoever, whatsoever.

know

ἐπιγνόντες (epignontes)

Strong's 1921: From epi and ginosko; to know upon some mark, i.e. Recognize; by implication, to become fully acquainted with, to acknowledge.

God’s

Θεοῦ (Theou)

righteous decree

δικαίωμα (dikaiōma)

Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular

Strong's 1345: From dikaioo; an equitable deed; by implication, a statute or decision.

that

ὅτι (hoti)

Conjunction

Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

those who

οἱ (hoi)

Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

do

πράσσοντες (prassontes)

Strong's 4238: To do, perform, accomplish; be in any condition, i.e. I fare; I exact, require.

such

τὰ (ta)

Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

things

τοιαῦτα (toiauta)

Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural

Strong's 5108: (including the other inflections); from toi and houtos; truly this, i.e. Of this sort (to denote character or individuality).

are

εἰσίν (eisin)

Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural

worthy

ἄξιοι (axioi)

Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural

Strong's 514: Worthy, worthy of, deserving, comparable, suitable. Probably from ago; deserving, comparable or suitable.

of death,

θανάτου (thanatou)

Strong's 2288: Death, physical or spiritual. From thnesko; death.

{they} not

οὐ (ou)

Adverb

Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

only

μόνον (monon)

Adverb

Strong's 3440: Alone, but, only. Neuter of monos as adverb; merely.

continue to do

ποιοῦσιν (poiousin)

Strong's 4160: (a) I make, manufacture, construct, (b) I do, act, cause. Apparently a prolonged form of an obsolete primary; to make or do.

these things,

αὐτὰ (auta)

Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Neuter 3rd Person Plural

but

ἀλλὰ (alla)

Conjunction

Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

also

καὶ (kai)

Conjunction

approve of

συνευδοκοῦσιν (syneudokousin)

Strong's 4909: From sun and eudokeo; to think well of in common, i.e. Assent to, feel gratified with.

those who

τοῖς (tois)

Article - Dative Masculine Plural

practice [them].

πράσσουσιν (prassousin)

Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural

Strong's 4238: To do, perform, accomplish; be in any condition, i.e. I fare; I exact, require.

New Living Translation

They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

- CORRECT