LUKE 3:16 BAPTISM OF FIRE

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, touchy. Looking at each other like enemies almost. And here's a weird thing - someone says something and in my mind I say, yes! Yes!! And so I say something that is like...what they said, but in my words, how my mind grasps it, but adding a little to it and...they begin to argue (or even attack me) that I'm wrong! And then I'm scratching my head and wondering if they maybe don't understand what they're saying if they can't still understand it said a little differently.

Like...they might say...we learn the obedience of faith through the things we suffer. And I might say, yeah, trust is like a muscle. It grows from meeting resistance. And they try to start an argument and say I don't understand the verse. o_O

I posted at one forum something that was in full agreement with this guy's comment, and he turned around and started attacking me, and telling me I "needed more discernment." :rolleyes:

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, that's just parroting without understanding. Maybe because...you think it makes you look wise...? I don't know. Its just puzzling.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think that will be the attitude of ANY man when that light hits him. Yeah, I think he WILL be looking for a tree to hide behind or begging the rocks to fall on him and kill him!

And of course, since you are Bbyrd, your next question will be, are you sure you won't be one of them, begging that?
Lol!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know, you think my statement was dancing around the age of accountability? Before a being is capable of telling right from wrong and choosing the right, he has not been given much yet. And when someone is born severely mentally disabled, they have not been given the "much" I was referring to. So I think it is covered in what I said. Is God merciless and unfair? He always judges correctly. I don't believe he holds anyone accountable for anything more than what they do with what He gives them.

Good point Stunned,
We will only be given what He can trust us with or what He sees fit for us to handle. And, I thank Him for that!

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've got like 50 posts from you to reply to. And I don't know how to multi quote, so each question you ask me in a longer post has to each go in a seperate post lol.

But He doesn't seem seperated to me. He and the written word are both needed. And if you ask me to explain that, I can't. I need the written word. But I can't really see that written word without the living Word in me...and the Lord is the Spirit. I don't think that will make much sense to a lot of people
The one, the written, is used as a means to get really closer to the other, the reality of Jesus. Jesus is Alive and perhaps complete is the way to say it? We keep on eating His flesh [that Bible we read and study] and as it is quickened [brought to Life] within us we approach closer to Him... that is we become more like Him. We are to be seeking His face so that we don't only see Him as we peruse the scriptures... but without ceasing [even when you are not carrying your Bible with you]. Many things that you have read [in scripture] coming to Life in you let you be in Him and let you see Him.

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, in thinking more on it, they need to be ignored. I don't thing we can chase them away. God does it. You know how you just find a thread some mornings and you start talking with your brothers, and at some point you realize, there are no shrieking birds...did God hide us from them...?
A bit more than 20 years ago my wife got after me to apply for a hearing disability from Veteran's Affairs. I did and I was approved for hearing aids. When I picked up my first hearing aids and put them in place upon arriving home I looked at my wife as we got out of the car and said with a look of wonder something to the effect of, "I can hear the birds singing". The last time I had heard the birds singing would have been before my Army days, before my ears were damaged by machine gun fire... Now I can hear the birds sing and no, they don't shriek... they sing!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The one, the written, is used as a means to get really closer to the other, the reality of Jesus. Jesus is Alive and perhaps complete is the way to say it? We keep on eating His flesh [that Bible we read and study] and as it is quickened [brought to Life] within us we approach closer to Him... that is we become more like Him. We are to be seeking His face so that we don't only see Him as we peruse the scriptures... but without ceasing [even when you are not carrying your Bible with you]. Many things that you have read [in scripture] coming to Life in you let you be in Him and let you see Him.

"Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is." I John 3:2

Agreed John,
We have to work out of us what we work into us (The Word) and, yes...it IS our daily bread...if we want to truly abide in Him, we will partake of His written, God breathed Words every day, in some way. Meditate on a verse, go to the park to commune with Him, pray while driving there, while shopping...etc.
You do put it simply @amadeus
In Him, as always!
in many ways

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 3:16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

3:17 Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn with fire unquenchable.

Within these verses above there are three baptisms; only one is with water. John baptized the nation of Israel to cleanse them to be priests in the coming kingdom (Exodus 29:4 Revelation 5:10). John also baptized to identify Jesus as their Messiah (John 1:31).

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

What John and Jesus spoke of in regard to the baptism of the Holy Ghost was fulfilled at Pentecost.

Ezekiel 22:21 Yea, I will gather you, and blow upon you in the fire of my wrath, and ye shall be melted in the midst therof.

Fire is associated with the wrath of God.

Matthew 3:7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

John was baptizing when he saw the Pharisees and Sadducees and warned them to flee the coming wrath. The wrath John spoke of is the day of the Lord (Isaiah 2:12 Revelation 6:17).

The baptism of fire is the pouring out of the wrath of God. John was exhorting the nation of Israel to turn and recognize Jesus as their Messiah and be cleansed for his kingdom to escape the coming wrath. Luke 3:17 is speaking of the believing remnant of Israel being separated from the unbelieving nation of Israel.

1 Thessalonians 1:10 And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come.

Jesus has saved us as well from the coming wrath.

acts 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

So this is the wrath of God???

fire is the light of truth and the fire of divine love!

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in ourhearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

Promise of the Father acts 2:23-39
Promise is a sacred oath and an oath is a sacrament! This promise of the sacrament of baptism refers to ez. 36:25-27

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
fire is the light of truth and the fire of divine love!
Does fire equal light or does light equal fire? Which one allows us to see and which one blinds us and which one cleanses us and which one burns us up?

What happens when a person is baptized in fire?

When I think of baptism now, I think of immersion. It is not immersion in water, which comes to mind, but immersion in the Word of God, or immersion in Jesus, or immersion in the Spirit of God. I also believe that there is a connection between the baptism in water, as practiced by John and the baptism of the Holy Ghost, which was to come through Jesus. The one was another of those types or shadows of the other, which was the real thing. The real thing is when a person is completely immersed in His name [in Word of God, Jesus and/or Spirit of God].

As to the "fire", it is there too. That's the part, which, if we will allow it, will strip us clean of all the unclean parts of us when we are immersed in it. It is really included in the others I mentioned.

"There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

One Lord, one faith, one baptism" Eph 4:4-5