Mark 10:12 When was it possible for a wife to divorce her husband?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are talking about before Joseph and Mary were married. Granted the Hebrew betrothed was taken more seriously than our engagement customs.
sorry they was Married, but if you're looking for any evidence or a historical event before the 1800's wish you well on that search.
PICJAG.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry they was Married, but if you're looking for any evidence or a historical event before the 1800's wish you well on that search.
PICJAG.

Mary and Joseph were not married during the discussion of if he was going to put her away. The Gospels seem to disagree if they were married, before going to Jerusalem or after Christ's birth....two places that you have to look. Either way, no ceremony and within the Hebrew culture, no marriage until after that act of union. No example of a marriage without union. That concept still holds today.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary and Joseph were not married during the discussion of if he was going to put her away. The Gospels seem to disagree if they were married, before going to Jerusalem or after Christ's birth....two places that you have to look. Either way, no ceremony and within the Hebrew culture, no marriage until after that act of union. No example of a marriage without union. That concept still holds today.
Matthew 1:19-25 "Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." 20 "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." 21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." 22 "Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying," 23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." 24 "Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:" 25 "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS."
they was MARRIED.
PICJAG.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 1:19-25 "Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily." 20 "But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost." 21 "And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." 22 "Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying," 23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us." 24 "Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:" 25 "And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS."
they was MARRIED.
PICJAG.

Oh my. What about Luke?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what about Luke?
PICJAG

I told you that there are two descriptions of that. Luke 2:5 They went to Jerusalem..."in order to register, along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child."

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(VJ, your casting out the bondswoman), but God hath called us to peace.

Galatians 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

how many are born after the flesh?

God don't have creditors, so who and why was we sold? the scripture answers itself, " Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away." BINGO.

What mother?

Romans 8:12-13
[12] Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. [13] For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

...those after the Spirit ...not after the flesh ...mind the things of the Spirit “For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.”

Isaiah 58:6-7 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

what house?

Proverbs 12:9-10 He that is despised, and hath a servant, is better than he that honoureth himself, and lacketh bread. [10] A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast: but the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel.

Proverbs 17:1-2 Better is a dry morsel, and quietness therewith, than an house full of sacrifices with strife. [2] A wise servant shall have rule over a son that causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Luke 2:5 NASB
in order to register along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child.

NIV
He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.

NEW KJV
to be registered with Mary, his betrothed [a]wife, who was with child.

KJV
To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

The Greek
Original Word: μνηστεύω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: mnésteuó
Phonetic Spelling: (mnace-tyoo'-o)
Definition: to espouse, betroth
Usage: I ask in marriage; pass: I am betrothed.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

how many are born after the flesh?
that was the problem "AFTER THE FLESH". they was Spiritually "DEAT", hence alive "Spiritually" no longer under LAW". so Spiritually "DEAD" no longer under Law.
What mother?
symbolic for the church in the OT, or the congregation that was in the wilderness., the children of Jacob. supportive scripture, to make it clear, Acts 7:37 "This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear."Acts 7:38 "This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:"
Isaiah 58:6-7 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? [7] Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

what house?
the poor Christian exiles for conscience sake, those who seek to do right, and seek a building/house that is not of men but of God, the HOUSEHOLD OF THE FAITHFUL. lets give you the supporting scripture, Matthew 25:34 "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:"
Matthew 25:35 "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:"
Matthew 25:36 "Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 2:5 NASB
in order to register along with Mary, who was engaged to him, and was with child.

NIV
He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child.

NEW KJV
to be registered with Mary, his betrothed [a]wife, who was with child.

KJV
To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

The Greek
Original Word: μνηστεύω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: mnésteuó
Phonetic Spelling: (mnace-tyoo'-o)
Definition: to espouse, betroth
Usage: I ask in marriage; pass: I am betrothed.
well you're too late. when this has taken place, joseph had already taken mary as his wife. just as Luke 2:5 states, "WIFE" only he just haven had sex with her yet.

now what do espoused means, in ARCHAIC language, marry. https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1........0....2j1..gws-wiz.......0i71.2WDxXSxMhKM
PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what did you mean here?
just what it says. a brother or a "SISTER" in not in bondage, or under LAW to stay in a marriage in where their spouse "depart".
I suggest you read Gill commentary on that verse.
PICJAG.

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:12

Was it possible for a woman to divorce her husband in the biblical era?

When (time period) was it possible for a woman to divorce her husband?

Would she write her husband a certificate / bill of divorcement?
Is there a scripture that addresses a wife writing her husband a certificate of divorce?

Is there any historical evidence of a woman divorcing her husband in the biblical era?

What would it mean is she just left her husband?

NASB
“and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."

New KJV
And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

KJV
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.

A man or woman was allowed to divorce his or her spouse if there was evidence of either one having sexual relations with someone else who was not their spouse. (Adultery) You have to remember that the context that Mark 10:12 is in was that Jesus was asked by Pharisees if a divorce was allowed for any type of reason. Jesus told them that if a husband or wife divorced their spouse for any reason except for Adultery and married another they would both be guilty of adultery if they married someone else and the people they were married to would be guilty of adultery also.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is one of the points made. The procedures for divorce was a Mosaic Law. The Israelite were under the assumption that the Mosaic Laws were given by God. Christ casts a certain amount of doubt on that by sayings "Moses allowed you to divorce" and goes on to indicate that God did not like that from the beginning.....issues. So was Moses making Laws against the will of God?[/QUOTE]
Hi,

That is a very good question. :cool: We all sin which is against the will of God.

Deuteronomy 24:1-4 (which regarded Israelite women) and Deuteronomy 21:10-14 (which regarded the women of conquered nations) were concessions permitted by Moses and God. They were not immutable teachings like the Ten Commandments issued in Exodus 20.

Jesus makes clear in Matthew 19:9 that the real issue is not simply divorcing a spouse BUT remarrying someone else after doing so. That would be adultery. Jesus cited Genesis 2:23-24 in Matthew 19:4-6 which conveys he is restoring the norm his Father instituted with our first parents (Adam and Eve).

Mary

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A man or woman was allowed to divorce his or her spouse if there was evidence of either one having sexual relations with someone else who was not their spouse. (Adultery) You have to remember that the context that Mark 10:12 is in was that Jesus was asked by Pharisees if a divorce was allowed for any type of reason. Jesus told them that if a husband or wife divorced their spouse for any reason except for Adultery and married another they would both be guilty of adultery if they married someone else and the people they were married to would be guilty of adultery also.

1. Christ is talking to Jews
2. Christ did indicate that women could divorce their husbands.
3. No such Law in Judaism
4. The whole divorce topic completely flabbergasted His apostles.
5. This would mean that this would be a "New Law" ....
6. No biblical or historical indication that it actually happened.
7. Civil Law would not allow women to divorce their husbands until 1857. No indication of a woman divorcing her husband until after that and it was rare.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Mary
What do you think happened to women that were divorced?
Hi Grailhunter,

Ummmm......I don't know what happened to them after divorce!!! Deuteronomy 24:2 makes it clear they could remarry :rolleyes:

What do you think happened to women that were divorced?

Mary

Heavenbound

Oct 26, 2019
Nj
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 10:12

Was it possible for a woman to divorce her husband in the biblical era?

When (time period) was it possible for a woman to divorce her husband?

Would she write her husband a certificate / bill of divorcement?
Is there a scripture that addresses a wife writing her husband a certificate of divorce?

Is there any historical evidence of a woman divorcing her husband in the biblical era?

What would it mean is she just left her husband?

NASB
“and if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."

New KJV
And if a woman divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

KJV
And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she committeth adultery.
In biblical days ladies had few choices. Today they do. If a lady’s abused she should divorce

Reactions: Grailhunter