Mark 10:12 When was it possible for a wife to divorce her husband?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Grailhunter,

Ummmm......I don't know what happened to them after divorce!!! Deuteronomy 24:2 makes it clear they could remarry :rolleyes:

What do you think happened to women that were divorced?

Mary

It was nearly a death sentence because Jewish men as rule only married virgins. A Jewish woman marrying a Pagan would be a very bad thing, she would have been shunned by all other Jews and by Mosaic Law probably would have been executed. Of course divorced women back then did not have any rights to the children. Historically, from what I can tell, Jewish women in that era that were divorced, many times became prostitutes.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was nearly a death sentence because Jewish men as rule only married virgins. A Jewish woman marrying a Pagan would be a very bad thing, she would have been shunned by all other Jews and by Mosaic Law probably would have been executed. Of course divorced women back then did not have any rights to the children. Historically, from what I can tell, Jewish women in that era that were divorced, many times became prostitutes.
GINOLJC, to all.
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. Timothy mother was a Jew and his father was Greek. Acts 16:1 "Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:"
and this marriage was well known, Acts 16:2 "Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium."
Acts 16:3 "Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek."

PICJAG.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very interesting. From where did you obtain this information? Do you have a book or website with that historical information in it you could point me toward? I love history and have never read that before.

Lover of history, Mary

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is very interesting. From where did you obtain this information? Do you have a book or website with that historical information in it you could point me toward? I love history and have never read that before.

Lover of history, Mary

No instance of divorce in the NT. But then mostly study Judaism. You can look up when divorce became legal. History, you can comb through history....mostly women just left. Lots and lots of history and relationships....In Christian kingdoms divorce either way was not easy. The Church denied King Henry the VIII permission to divorce his wife so he could marry his lover....So he fixed that by starting the Church of England.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No instance of divorce in the NT. But then mostly study Judaism. You can look up when divorce became legal. History, you can comb through history....mostly women just left. Lots and lots of history and relationships....In Christian kingdoms divorce either way was not easy. The Church denied King Henry the VIII permission to divorce his wife so he could marry his lover....So he fixed that by starting the Church of England.
You said, "Historically, from what I can tell, Jewish women in that era that were divorced, many times became prostitutes."

Do you have a book or website with that previous historical information you mentioned?

Edit

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. Timothy mother was a Jew and his father was Greek. Acts 16:1 "Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:"
and this marriage was well known, Acts 16:2 "Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium."
Acts 16:3 "Him would Paul have to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek."

PICJAG.

You can look at the Mosaic Law on the restriction of Jewish women marrying Pagans. Still I believe a divorced Jewish woman that wanted to marry would usually only have choices among the Pagans. Now depending on the power and position of her Pagan husband, that would probably reflect on how she lived. If both had converted to Christianity, they are out of the Mosaic Law. That is part of the difficulty of nailing things down....in that they are in a transitional period, look at the Apostle Paul, he was a Roman citizen.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You said, "Historically, from what I can tell, Jewish women in that era that were divorced, many times became prostitutes."

Do you have a book or website with that previous historical information you mentioned?

Edit

I understand what you are getting at. There are comprehensive books on early Christian history. Amazon...If you want me to recommend some, I can do that too.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand what you are getting at. There are comprehensive books on early Christian history. Amazon...If you want me to recommend some, I can do that too.
Please....:rolleyes:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please....:rolleyes:

Marriage, divorce, and remarriage in the Bible....by Jay E. Adams
Marriage in the Christian Church (Medieval period) by Philip Lyndon Reynolds
A History of the Jewish People....by H. H. Ben-Sasson
Background of Early Christianity....by Everett Ferguson
The Story of Christianity....by Justo L. Gonzalez
The Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity....3 volume set
The History of the Christian Church.....multiple authors
Manners and Customs of the Bible.....by James M. Freeman.

That will get you started....

Reactions: Marymog

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage, divorce, and remarriage in the Bible....by Jay E. Adams
Marriage in the Christian Church (Medieval period) by Philip Lyndon Reynolds
A History of the Jewish People....by H. H. Ben-Sasson
Background of Early Christianity....by Everett Ferguson
The Story of Christianity....by Justo L. Gonzalez
The Encyclopedia of Ancient Christianity....3 volume set
The History of the Christian Church.....multiple authors
Manners and Customs of the Bible.....by James M. Freeman.

That will get you started....

P.S. Gonzales for a large volume of history is easy to read. It may come as a two volume set.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can look at the Mosaic Law on the restriction of Jewish women marrying Pagans. Still I believe a divorced Jewish woman that wanted to marry would usually only have choices among the Pagans. Now depending on the power and position of her Pagan husband, that would probably reflect on how she lived. If both had converted to Christianity, they are out of the Mosaic Law. That is part of the difficulty of nailing things down....in that they are in a transitional period, look at the Apostle Paul, he was a Roman citizen.
I'm not aware that there was any restrection of any Jews marring anyone outside their race, "ONLY WHEN IT DREW THEM AWAY FROM GOD". Esther was a Jewish woman who married a gentile king. and if a woman was divorced she could marry another man, Deuteronomy 24:2 "And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." nor was this restriction with males also. Moses married a no Jewish woman, Zipporah. and had children by her. likewise Joseph who before him married, Asenath, an Egyptian priest daughter from whence came two of the tribes of Israel, Ephraim and Manasseh. these two tribes was definitly not fully .... what many calls so called Jewish in nationality. so if one say Jewish, ... the question is, how far, or how much? men and women have been marrying inside and outside of their so-called nationality forever. this was one of the reason of the spreading of the Jews.

BOTTOM LINE: for when it comes down to it, nationality is not biological in or out of LAW, but where one live at or from. for ...
Acts 17:22 "Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious."
Acts 17:23 "For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you."
Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:25 "Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;"
Acts 17:26 "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;"

PICJAG.

jshiii

Oct 15, 2008
North Pole
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is funny.....I am looking for a good answer.

I'm just like King David, except for murdering someone, never did that, except maybe in thoughts :( (when I was a silly teenager). I'm on my 3rd and last marriage. A marriage that I know God, Jesus and Holy Spirit arranged. I can't explain it at the moment. All I know is, Jesus has love that I will never understand. He has used my 3rd marriage to show me just how awesome his LOVE is. Stay TUNED........more to come.

I'll share soon ;)

By the way, King David had many wives. Me only 3 :(.....but this is how my flesh would love it....my flesh would love 100 wives it it could be! This just proves to me about everything God says about our sinful flesh IS TRUE! Nothing Good about our flesh :( !!!!!

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just like King David, except for murdering someone, never did that, except maybe in thoughts :( (when I was a silly teenager). I'm on my 3rd and last marriage. A marriage that I know God, Jesus and Holy Spirit arranged. I can't explain it at the moment. All I know is, Jesus has love that I will never understand. He has used my 3rd marriage to show me just how awesome his LOVE is. Stay TUNED........more to come.

I'll share soon ;)

By the way, King David had many wives. Me only 3 :(.....but this is how my flesh would love it....my flesh would love 100 wives it it could be! This just proves to me about everything God says about our sinful flesh IS TRUE! Nothing Good about our flesh :( !!!!!

lol got to love it! If you knew me I analyze everything...not that I am anal retentive....keep going...

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not aware that there was any restrection of any Jews marring anyone outside their race, "ONLY WHEN IT DREW THEM AWAY FROM GOD". Esther was a Jewish woman who married a gentile king. and if a woman was divorced she could marry another man, Deuteronomy 24:2 "And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." nor was this restriction with males also. Moses married a no Jewish woman, Zipporah. and had children by her. likewise Joseph who before him married, Asenath, an Egyptian priest daughter from whence came two of the tribes of Israel, Ephraim and Manasseh. these two tribes was definitly not fully .... what many calls so called Jewish in nationality. so if one say Jewish, ... the question is, how far, or how much? men and women have been marrying inside and outside of their so-called nationality forever. this was one of the reason of the spreading of the Jews.

BOTTOM LINE: for when it comes down to it, nationality is not biological in or out of LAW, but where one live at or from. for ...
Acts 17:22 "Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious."
Acts 17:23 "For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you."
Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:25 "Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;"
Acts 17:26 "And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;"

PICJAG.

Big post...lots of points...the honesty is what grabs my attention.
Begs to bigger topics....
The topic at hand is; When was it possible for a wife to divorce her husband. The whole topic shocked the Apostles for several reasons. Literally part of their culture. Removing polygamy, slavery, and promoting women rights, I am sure it was on God's drawing board. But you have to take baby steps. So many mysteries that Christ did not explain. The Jews were expecting a human-warlord-king. They got a peace loving God....They mostly rejected Him and stood yelling "Crucify Him!"

Sometimes we wonder why the vast intellect and moral nature of God did not show sooner. This here is a good example, we are confused easily. So it is baby step over a painfully long time. Hey, we might not want to make slaves of humans....1800's. Ya know mom is human too.....1900's. Satan does not necessary reside in the crouch.....1900's God's actual first commandment and most repeated commandment was be Fruitful and multiply and His promises were the same.

The NT is clear about platonic love toward one another....and people love bringing the OT into NT, but your not going to see the Songs of Solomon preached to much on Sunday. Marriage was given up as a concession. No focus on the family or romantic love. Of course if you look in the history of it, it kinda warps early Christianity. The things they did to themselves, to women in the Witch-hunt are unspeakable. When you make sex evil in a male dominate society you link women to Satan, men blaming them for their desires.

The other issue is that the concept of respect get a bad name in Christianity. Not a respecter of men, or even humanity. In the KJV the word respect occurs 12 times with little to say good about it. So they missed the point. The moral side of Platonic love or romantic love or even sex drives, is about respect for others and yourself. It is a lesson not only lost in the Bible, but tramples on.
An opportunity to understand, that what God calls sin, is not about us, not enjoying life, but rather not doing these things because it will cause pain, suffering, and disgrace. They should have thought it through a little more. They missed an opportunity to steer us in the right direction.