MARK 6:3 DID JESUS HAVE BROTHERS AND SISTERS ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with 2 Peter 1:20, of course.
A problem I have with catholicism is that I'm always told that one has to believe ALL the dogmas or he cannot consider himself a Catholic.

Now, I know what a person is supposed to do if he cannot believe...pray and not fall into obstinate denial. But I find not many that believe all of the dogmas. There are some truly Catholics friends of mine that believe the magesterium in full.
Thank you.

Do you believe in and adhere to all the dogmas you have come to cherish?

Mary

Dogma: a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. You make some good points Bible study Nancy....:rolleyes:

The Holy Spirit is Mary’s spouse but Joseph was her spouse and protector on this earth for two obvious reasons. Matthew points out in his genealogy in chapter 1, Joseph was in line to be a successor of David as King of Israel. If Jesus was to be the true “son of David” and king of Israel (see 2 Sm 7:14, Heb 1:5, Rv 19:16, 22:16), he needed to be the "son" of Joseph. As the only son of Joseph, even though adopted, he would have been in line for the throne.

According to Luke 1:27 Mary and Joseph were already “espoused”. Mary and Joseph already have what would be akin to a ratified marriage in the New Covenant. They were married. That would mean Joseph would have had the right to the marriage bed. Normally, after the espousal the husband would go off and prepare a home for his new bride and then come and receive her into his home where the union would be consummated. This is precisely why Joseph intended to “divorce her quietly” (Mt 1:19) when he later discovered she was pregnant. In a culture that did not take too kindly to espoused women getting pregnant by someone other than their spouse, Mary would have been in mortal danger. So Joseph became Mary’s earthly spouse and protector as well as the protector of the child Jesus.

I presume the point you are trying to make is that in Matthew 13:55 and other texts they would have used anepsios instead of adelphos if James and the others were Jesus’ cousins and not his uterine brothers. Your point lacks merit because adelphos can have a wider meaning than uterine brother. Also we should not suppose that adelphos means precisely “cousin.” Anepsios (cousin) is rather too precise a word for Jesus’ adelphoi. Anepsios means “first cousin” or sometimes merely “cousin.” Now every cousin is a kinsman, but not every kinsman is a cousin. Therefore, adelphos, not anepsios, was the appropriate word to use in Matthew 13:55 and elsewhere to describe Jesus’ relatives. The same goes for “sister” (adelphe).

The earliest teaching of our Christian forefathers and the men of the Reformation taught that Mary did not have other children. The teaching that she had other children began with the men who disagreed with the Reformers. :(

Bible, history and linguistics teacher Mary :D

Ha, well you KNOW I am not as well educated as yourself but, I do my best :)
I understand that "adelphos" can be used in several descriptions, a close relation whether blood or not. So, yes that is pretty wide sweeping but then, why be specific in one area and not another if referring to the same meaning?
I don't have the time right now but, I do remember reading something pertaining to the fact that Josephs genealogy in Luke, is actually Mary's as, the genealogy in Luke, when speaking of Joseph - does not have the definite article "the" before his name which would have been the proper way back then - UNLESS it pertains to a woman and, no woman's names were mentioned in the genealogies, ever. So, Joseph was the only name mentioned without the word "the" coming first, could this be Mary's geneology and not Josephs?. I know none of this has to do with salvation but, interesting nonetheless :)
What say you about this?
Please don't drown me in too much, PLEASE?! My brain is tired and, it takes me much longer than some to wade through some of this stuff, lol.
Kink of Curious, tired, nancy Lol.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Thank you.

Do you believe in and adhere to all the dogmas you have come to cherish?

Mary

Dogma: a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
Yes, of course. The catholic dogma I believe are true, I believe to the fullest.
My problem is that I have to understand everything. I have spoke to priests about this (priests I'm friendly with) and they say differentgly than catholic apologetics in regard to this. I heard one just the other day declare that if we do not accept ONE dogma, we are lost. No one I know teaches this,,,not even the CCC, so why say this?

I know you can't answer for him...

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha, well you KNOW I am not as well educated as yourself but, I do my best :)
I understand that "adelphos" can be used in several descriptions, a close relation whether blood or not. So, yes that is pretty wide sweeping but then, why be specific in one area and not another if referring to the same meaning?
I don't have the time right now but, I do remember reading something pertaining to the fact that Josephs genealogy in Luke, is actually Mary's as, the genealogy in Luke, when speaking of Joseph - does not have the definite article "the" before his name which would have been the proper way back then - UNLESS it pertains to a woman and, no woman's names were mentioned in the genealogies, ever. So, Joseph was the only name mentioned without the word "the" coming first, could this be Mary's geneology and not Josephs?. I know none of this has to do with salvation but, interesting nonetheless :)
What say you about this?
Please don't drown me in too much, PLEASE?! My brain is tired and, it takes me much longer than some to wade through some of this stuff, lol.
Kink of Curious, tired, nancy Lol.
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the question. I will sprinkle you with information so you don't drown :rolleyes:

Luke 2:4 makes it clear that Joseph, not Mary, is a descendant of David.

Matthew stresses Christ as the successor of David and follows the line of kings. Luke stresses Christ as the Son of God and traces the line back
to “Adam, the son of God” (Luke 3:38).

Scripture NEVER states that Mary belonged to the tribe of David.

Hope that helps.....Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, of course. The catholic dogma I believe are true, I believe to the fullest.
My problem is that I have to understand everything. I have spoke to priests about this (priests I'm friendly with) and they say differentgly than catholic apologetics in regard to this. I heard one just the other day declare that if we do not accept ONE dogma, we are lost. No one I know teaches this,,,not even the CCC, so why say this?

I know you can't answer for him...
Hi GG,

True, I can't answer for him. I believe I know his line of thinking on this matter.

If there are 10 (arbitrary number) incontrovertible truths in Scripture and if a Christian rejects any 1 of those truths, they are lost. If we reject a single truth, are we lost? Or must we reject 5 out of the 10 truths to be truly lost?

You previously said your problem with Catholicism is that you are told that one has to believe ALL the dogmas. Since dogma is the incontrovertible Truth what is wrong with expecting a person to believe it? By your own admittance you believe in and adhere to all the dogmas YOU have decided are worth cherishing. What is wrong with believing in and adhering to all the dogma's The Church has decided are worth cherishing?

Mary

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the question. I will sprinkle you with information so you don't drown :rolleyes:

Luke 2:4 makes it clear that Joseph, not Mary, is a descendant of David.

Matthew stresses Christ as the successor of David and follows the line of kings. Luke stresses Christ as the Son of God and traces the line back
to “Adam, the son of God” (Luke 3:38).

Scripture NEVER states that Mary belonged to the tribe of David.

Hope that helps.....Mary
Oh Mary Mary quite contrary..must you write things like this" "Thank you for the question. I will sprinkle you with information so you don't drown :rolleyes:?
Why don't you just come on out and call me a moron. You might be book smart but, I'm thinking that Jesus could care LESS how MUCH you (think) you know...I would say He is more concerned about how we treat one another.
As far as Mary or Joseph's genealogy, I was only wondering about it because Joseph had no blood line with Jesus, no need to be so mean and sarcastic. I'm learning okay? I can say when I'm wrong, can you?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Mary Mary quite contrary..must you write things like this" "Thank you for the question. I will sprinkle you with information so you don't drown :rolleyes:?
Why don't you just come on out and call me a moron. You might be book smart but, I'm thinking that Jesus could care LESS how MUCH you (think) you know...I would say He is more concerned about how we treat one another.
As far as Mary or Joseph's genealogy, I was only wondering about it because Joseph had no blood line with Jesus, no need to be so mean and sarcastic. I'm learning okay? I can say when I'm wrong, can you?
Wow.....I sincerely don't know what to think. I don't think anything I said was "mean" or "sarcastic". Would you please let me know what I said that fit that was mean and sarcastic so I don't do it again?

I said thank you because I am a considerate person and I took into consideration that you desired to continue the conversation by asking me a question of which I appreciated. Soooooo my "thank you" was sincere!

I said I will "sprinkle you with information so you don't drown" because you said, "Please don't drown me in too much, PLEASE?!" Since one can't "drown" by being sprinkled (referring to water) I used the word "sprinkle". ;)

I have never thought of you as a moron. :)

Yes, I will admit when I am wrong.

Mary

Reactions: Helen and GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

True, I can't answer for him. I believe I know his line of thinking on this matter.

If there are 10 (arbitrary number) incontrovertible truths in Scripture and if a Christian rejects any 1 of those truths, they are lost. If we reject a single truth, are we lost? Or must we reject 5 out of the 10 truths to be truly lost?

You previously said your problem with Catholicism is that you are told that one has to believe ALL the dogmas. Since dogma is the incontrovertible Truth what is wrong with expecting a person to believe it? By your own admittance you believe in and adhere to all the dogmas YOU have decided are worth cherishing. What is wrong with believing in and adhering to all the dogma's The Church has decided are worth cherishing?

Mary
Oh. This is easy...to explain I mean.
Doctrine doesn't save us.
God does.
or as we like to say these days...Jesus saves us.
The ECFs also believed Jesus saves...but sometimes I think we get the wrong impression from this expression.

Anyway, yeah. I have a problem with purgatory. I have a problem with Mary's assumption. I fail to understand WHY anyone would be lost if they don't believe in a dogma.

There are truths in the bible that are not all accepted...does this make a person be lost?

BTW, None of the priests I know would agree (of the few I really know) with that apologist. The monk I go to for lessons probably would. He's very conservative.
He's also very informed....there's also a new priest down in town that I like, but I can't get to his bible study.

So you really believe that if you don't accept all dogmas a person would be lost?
I find that my Catholic friends trust in the church a lot. Maybe more than in God.
They're all upset about the changes...they're worried about the synod in September. They're starting to understand what I've been telling them for years....trust God more and the church less.

Unfortunately, it's coming to this.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Nancy,
I don't think Mary meant anything in a mean way.
You had said you drown in information so she was just being cute.
I mean REALLY cute.

RECONCILIATION!!

Reactions: Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi Nancy...
Could you look this up?
I've been interested in the Shroud lately because I'm beginning to believe it's the real thing.

I heard the other day that a blood analysis was done and they found
23 chromosones from a female
and 1 from a male.

Would you know how to find out about this online?

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fail to understand WHY anyone would be lost if they don't believe in a dogma.

There are truths in the bible that are not all accepted...does this make a person be lost?.
Hi GG,

I think you would agree that when Jesus spoke and whatever he spoke, it was the truth. If you take into consideration that dogma is an "incontrovertible truth" of the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles and you reject THE TRUTH then you would be lost.

(not able to be denied or disputed; indisputable; irrefutable.)

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

I think you would agree that when Jesus spoke and whatever he spoke, it was the truth. If you take into consideration that dogma is an "incontrovertible truth" of the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles and you reject THE TRUTH then you would be lost.

(not able to be denied or disputed; indisputable; irrefutable.)
When did Jesus say His mother was assumed into heaven?
When did He speak about purgatory?
1 Corinthians 3 is not about purgatory.
Can't think of anything else right now.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm. Who are you and WHAT did you do with Marymog??! :)
LOL....I'm serious. You made a good point and one that I have never considered. There is no "blood" line from Joseph to Jesus. I am going to have to research apologetics as to why that was not important. I know that ancient Jewish laws allowed an adopted person to be considered part of the adoptive families bloodline after adoption. I will follow up with you with my research results....:)

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....I'm serious. You made a good point and one that I have never considered. There is no "blood" line from Joseph to Jesus. I am going to have to research apologetics as to why that was not important. I know that ancient Jewish laws allowed an adopted person to be considered part of the adoptive families bloodline after adoption. I will follow up with you with my research results....:)

Oh, wow and awesome, thank you...can't wait to see what you come up with!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh. This is easy...to explain I mean.
Doctrine doesn't save us.
God does.
or as we like to say these days...Jesus saves us.
The ECFs also believed Jesus saves...but sometimes I think we get the wrong impression from this expression.
Hi GG,

I am not sure what you mean by "Doctrine doesn't save us". Do you think that the people who accept the doctrine of the Mormon church or the Westboro Baptist Church or any church that has a pro-abortion doctrine will be saved?

It seems their Jesus is different than yours and my Jesus.

Mary

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Mary's geneology had to go back to David.
Joseph was not Jesus' father.

Reactions: Nancy

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Hi GG,

I am not sure what you mean by "Doctrine doesn't save us". Do you think that the people who accept the doctrine of the Mormon church or the Westboro Baptist Church or any church that has a pro-abortion doctrine will be saved?

It seems their Jesus is different than yours and my Jesus.

Mary
I'm not familiar with either church.
If a church accepts abortion, I don't think it's following Jesus' teachings.
His teachings MUST be followed.

This gets into what makes one a Christian.
Believe Jesus is God.
Believe in the resurrection.
Believe what Jesus taught those 3 years.
Be baptized, as He instructed.

What else?
I have to leave for a while so I'm forgetting stuff for sure.