Marriage without Marriage certificate?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know in America, we get legally married with a marriage license from the local county. Is this something that is absolutely necessary?

What if a couple has witnesses and a ceremony and take vows but skip the legal part? Are they in error?

I can see a case for taking the government out of Christian marriage and I can see a case for a legally binding marriage.

Discuss.
I would think a church wedding would suffice, with or without a government certificate.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would think a church wedding would suffice, with or without a government certificate.
In the UK only the Anglican churches can marry people officially without a registrar. My church had people register and train as registrars to keep thing legal.

Reactions: Bob Estey

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know in America, we get legally married with a marriage license from the local county. Is this something that is absolutely necessary?

What if a couple has witnesses and a ceremony and take vows but skip the legal part? Are they in error?

I can see a case for taking the government out of Christian marriage and I can see a case for a legally binding marriage.

Discuss.
Marriage with God begins in the marriage bed, that is undefiled by man and woman committed to one another for life. All else is fornication, adultery, and homosexuality.

A marriage ceremony is for people to make open vows.

A gvt certificate is legal status given to anyone the gvt wants to.