Maundy Thursday

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We always remember the Crucifixion on the Friday before the day of resurrection but I don't think I've ever thought much about the day before. Even though I know it was the day that Jesus spent with his twelve closest disciples celebrating the Passover with them eating, drinking, washing their feet, being betrayed and later arrested. But just a few minutes ago I thought about the torture that Jesus suffered after his arrest and so-called trial. I know it happened but somehow this evening it became more 'real'. And I believe in some places they keep a vigil during the night.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Actual, the Last super occurred their Thursday night which in our understanding of when a day occurs is equivalent to our Wednesday Night.

Christ was taken before the High Priest in the early hours of the Thursday morning, and was crucified that same day and died around 3:00 pm, i.e. at the ninth hour of the day, and was taken down and buried in the tomb with a guard set and the stone of the tomb rolled shut and sealed.

It is through the ignorance of our religious forefathers that the notion of Christ dying on a Friday was established and became our tradition that has persisted ever since.

Christ arrived in the late afternoon period the week before on the Friday, just before the sun set and the Sabbath day started, six days before the actual Passover was to occur on the following Friday.

The Last Supper and the crucifixion both happened on the same day within the context of 2,000 years ago. It was also the day during the sunlight hours that the Passover Lamb was prepared for the Passover meal that would occur after the sun had gone down. The Passover Lamb was to be eaten that night and finished before the sun rose again.

Our traditions today do not reflect the reality of the time when Christ was crucified.

Shalom

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We always remember the Crucifixion on the Friday before the day of resurrection but I don't think I've ever thought much about the day before. Even though I know it was the day that Jesus spent with his twelve closest disciples celebrating the Passover with them eating, drinking, washing their feet, being betrayed and later arrested. But just a few minutes ago I thought about the torture that Jesus suffered after his arrest and so-called trial. I know it happened but somehow this evening it became more 'real'. And I believe in some places they keep a vigil during the night.
I turned on the Catholic TV and watched a little of the stations of the cross. I didn't really agree with what they were saying so I turned it off.

Anyways, some people worship the cross. I don't as I don't see killing Jesus as a good thing. I'm happy he died for my sins. So I have mixed emotions about it.

Reactions: Pearl