Meal Offerings

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are rich lessons to be learned from the OT sanctuary service.
From M L Andreasen...The Sanctuary Service.

Sanctified by the Spirit.

The flour used in the meal offerings was not to be offered dry; it was to be mingled with oil, or anointed with oil. (Leviticus 2:4,5) The oil is the Spirit of God. Only as a life is sanctified by the Spirit, mixed with it, anointed with it, can it be pleasing to God. Suffering, in and of itself, may not be a blessing. It may only lead to hardness of heart, bitterness of spirit. But as God's Spirit takes possession of the soul, as the sweet spirit of the Master permeates the life, the fragrance of a dedicated life becomes pure.
As the incense offered each morning and evening in the holy place was emblematic of the righteousness of Christ which ascended with the prayers of the priest for the nation as a sweet savor unto God.
So the incense offered in connection with each meal offering was efficacious for the individual. It was making a personal application of that which otherwise was only general. In the morning and evening sacrifice the priest prayed for the people. In the meal offering the incense was applied to the individual soul.
In the minds of the Israelites, incense and prayer were closely associated.
Morning and evening, as the incense symbolizing Christ's merits and intercession ascended in the holy place, prayers were offered throughout the nation. Not only did the incense permeate the holy and the most holy place, but its fragrance was noted far around the tabernacle. Everywhere it bespoke prayer and called men to communion with God.
Prayer is vital to Christianity. It is the breath of the soul. It is the vital element in every activity of life. It must accompany every sacrifice, make fragrant every offering. It is not only an important ingredient of Christianity, it is the very life of it. Without its vital breath, life soon ceases; and with the cessation of life, decomposition sets in, and that which should be a savor of life unto life becomes a savor of death unto death.
“Every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.” Mark 9:49. Fire purifies; salt preserves. To be salted with fire means not only purification but preservation. God wants a clean people, a people whose sins are forgiven. It is not enough to be forgiven and cleansed. The keeping power of God must be accepted. We must be kept clean. The fire is to be not a destructive fire but a cleansing one. We are to be first cleansed, then kept.
“Salted with fire” “Salted with salt”! Purified and kept pure! Wonderful provision!
The meal offering, though not the most important one, has beautiful lessons for the devout soul. All we are should be on the altar. All we have belongs to God. And God will purify and keep His own. May these lessons abide with us.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The flour used in the meal offerings was not to be offered dry; it was to be mingled with oil, or anointed with oil. (Leviticus 2:4,5) The oil is the Spirit of God. Only as a life is sanctified by the Spirit, mixed with it, anointed with it, can it be pleasing to God. Suffering, in and of itself, may not be a blessing. It may only lead to hardness of heart, bitterness of spirit. But as God's Spirit takes possession of the soul, as the sweet spirit of the Master permeates the life, the fragrance of a dedicated life becomes pure.
As the incense offered each morning and evening in the holy place was emblematic of the righteousness of Christ which ascended with the prayers of the priest for the nation as a sweet savor unto God.
So the incense offered in connection with each meal offering was efficacious for the individual. It was making a personal application of that which otherwise was only general. In the morning and evening sacrifice the priest prayed for the people. In the meal offering the incense was applied to the individual soul.
Morning and evening, as the incense symbolizing Christ's merits and intercession ascended in the holy place, prayers were offered throughout the nation. Not only did the incense permeate the holy and the most holy place, but its fragrance was noted far around the tabernacle. Everywhere it bespoke prayer and called men to communion with God.
Prayer is vital to Christianity. It is the breath of the soul. It is the vital element in every activity of life. It must accompany every sacrifice, make fragrant every offering. It is not only an important ingredient of Christianity, it is the very life of it. Without its vital breath, life soon ceases; and with the cessation of life, decomposition sets in, and that which should be a savor of life unto life becomes a savor of death unto death.
“Every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.” Mark 9:49. Fire purifies; salt preserves. To be salted with fire means not only purification but preservation. God wants a clean people, a people whose sins are forgiven. It is not enough to be forgiven and cleansed. The keeping power of God must be accepted. We must be kept clean. The fire is to be not a destructive fire but a cleansing one. We are to be first cleansed, then kept.
“Salted with fire” “Salted with salt”! Purified and kept pure! Wonderful provision!
The meal offering, though not the most important one, has beautiful lessons for the devout soul. All we are should be on the altar. All we have belongs to God. And God will purify and keep His own. May these lessons abide with us.
Why make the Gospel/ Sanctuary service, subjective?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 2:16-17
Let no man therefore JUDGE YOU in meat, or in drink or in respect of an holiday, or of the new moon or of the sabbath days : which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of CHRIST.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ColossusColossians 2:16-17
Let no man therefore JUDGE YOU in meat, or in drink or in respect of an holiday, or of the new moon or of the sabbath days : which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of CHRIST.
Perhaps you could tell us L.A.M.B. how you think these are a shadow of things to come?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A shadow is any obstruction of the light with the form of an intervening object. It is obscurely projected, constantly changing and passing away, whereas reality is the quality or state of being real.

Hebrews 10-13
10 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins........................................................................................
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Galatians 3:24-27
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to BRING US UNTO CHRIST, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Shadow meant that the law communicated the outline and the future of the fulfillment to come in JESUS,but was NOT the very image of things.
The Old Covenant (the law) was a mere shadow of the substance that is the New Covenant,
Hebrews 8:5-6
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
The laws of the OT were a type of what God's master plan is; Jesus.

Thus, the stated purpose of the Jewish ceremonial system was as a teaching device to inculcate the plan of salvation and had no salvific function. That is, it used symbols to teach about the coming Messiah. When Messiah arrived and offered sacrifice for sin and the example of the exemplary life, the ceremonial system's usefulness ceased to exist.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A shadow is any obstruction of the light with the form of an intervening object. It is obscurely projected, constantly changing and passing away, whereas reality is the quality or state of being real.

Hebrews 10-13
10 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and NOT THE VERY IMAGE OF THE THINGS, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins........................................................................................
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.

Galatians 3:24-27
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to BRING US UNTO CHRIST, that we might be justified by faith. But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Shadow meant that the law communicated the outline and the future of the fulfillment to come in JESUS,but was NOT the very image of things.
The Old Covenant (the law) was a mere shadow of the substance that is the New Covenant,
Hebrews 8:5-6
5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
The laws of the OT were a type of what God's master plan is; Jesus.

Thus, the stated purpose of the Jewish ceremonial system was as a teaching device to inculcate the plan of salvation and had no salvific function. That is, it used symbols to teach about the coming Messiah. When Messiah arrived and offered sacrifice for sin and the example of the exemplary life, the ceremonial system's usefulness ceased to exist.
I understand how 'shadow' applies to the ceremonial system ie, the offering of lambs and so forth but when it come to flesh foods to be eaten or not, is that not a matter of which is healthier or unhealthier? ...like, breath fresh air not smoky air?
So my question pertains to flesh foods that were allowed or forbidden, how do these pertain to 'shadows' ?

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If one is concerned about their own health and lifestyles then let them take them unto God in prayer!
Philippians 4:6-8
be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

The OT covenant in all ceremonial rituals and rules were a type of what Jesus would bring in his fulfillment of them.
He fulfilled all, not just some, therefore we do NOT live under the old covenant but the new!

We all still do this.......
1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know...

Paul here is describing our knowledge of God and His ways as incomplete or partial. The word gives only a glimpse of what may be known of God.

Ask God who gives wisdom to all men liberally that seek him IF you have need of more answers.

Bye-bye

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
If one is concerned about their own health and lifestyles then let them take them unto God in prayer!
be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

The OT covenant in all ceremonial rituals and rules were a type of what Jesus would bring in his fulfillment of them.
He fulfilled all, not just some, therefore we do NOT live under the old covenant but the new!

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know...

Paul here is describing our knowledge of God and His ways as incomplete or partial. The word gives only a glimpse of what may be known of God.

Ask God who gives wisdom to all men liberally that seek him IF you have need of more answers.

Bye-bye
I hear your words LAMB however you do not answer the question.
I ask you because you put it out there ie, the quote of it being shadows.

What I hear you repeating is a narrative which cannot answer what is claimed does answer these questions.
From my perspective it is a worn out narrative the answers of which are forwarded are inadequate.....and does the 'bye-bye' indicate a running? an unwillingness to have a worn out narrative challenged?.....I say this kindly.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Bye-bye
Health, both physical, mental, emotional and spiritual is at the heart of God's reality. Truth being the defining factor....ie the truth of how our organism is designed to function. Breathe foul air for long enough and see if one's system isn't affected negatively! Eat Maccas and drink Coke for long enough and sure enough, one won't be bouncing out of bed with enthusiasm.

When God gave Israel laws he gave them to make them stand out from the diseased nations around them. Nations who indulged whatever their appetites craved.....be it what they ingested or what they practised in their religious rituals, their sexual practices, their emotional infidelity or their barbaric wars.

The Kingdom of God is primarily about relational health.....relationship with God, with oneself, with others, with the environment and so forth. Health promotes life, unhealth death.

This much needs be abundantly clear to us. Right from the outset God told A&E, eat of this tree and you will surely die.

Whatever made us think that we can indulge whatever we desire and there be no consequences? Yes, fallen man will at the cost to himself justify self indulgence with abandon and come up with all sorts of excuses, rational and religious reasoning to side step God's directions for his own good.

Reactions: Nancy and Brakelite

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying Andreason was making the sanctuary services a personal subjective opinion... Or me by quoting it...or both?
Post Jesus we have the Gospel. The Gospel is about Jesus. It is also known as the everlasting gospel ie, it is how God has always been and always will be, his Character.
Pre Jesus the Hebrews were given the Sanctuary system to give them insight into the character of God although I think few got it.

The everlasting Gospel both in type and reality is about God. It is about his character, how he behaves, how he deals with sin etc.
The everlasting Gospel is not about us ie, our response or our behaviour....in short, what we are to do whether it's prayer or baptism or the ordinances. These are fruits of the everlasting Gospel for and in those who hear and respond in gratitude.

The Sanctuary service, from the lamb slain through to the day of Atonement. The furnishings, the clothing worn, the Priest, the bread, the oil the layout within the temple itself and the arrangement of the camp around the Sanctuary/ Temple all witness to a greater reality than ourselves....ie, it is objective.......subsequently my question, 'why make it subjective'......why take what God had designed to give us an insight into him ....even though it was not understood as intended and make it about us?

What the Hebrews got out of it was that God wanted blood......and they gave him plenty of it......not much different to the practices of the nations around them.

Reactions: Brakelite

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I remember reading Haskell's "The Cross And Its Shadow' many years ago and being moved by his short but rich observation that the meal offering was, in one sense, much more appropriate for the sin offering than something of more earthly value because it more clearly represented just what we have to bring to God by way of our own righteousness than would the more expensive gifts that qualified—almost as if to say that even if we were able to afford a lamb offering we would do well to think of it as being worth not even so much as a handful of grain, notwithstanding the obvious symbolism of the lamb as an innocent victim. As we present ourselves as a living sacrifice, we must also present Christ and Him crucified, as it were.

I guess it just goes to show what Jesus is to us—the All-in-all.

Hope this isn't too convoluted. I've been a little under the weather. :)

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Post Jesus we have the Gospel. The Gospel is about Jesus. It is also known as the everlasting gospel ie, it is how God has always been and always will be, his Character.
Pre Jesus the Hebrews were given the Sanctuary system to give them insight into the character of God although I think few got it.

The everlasting Gospel both in type and reality is about God. It is about his character, how he behaves, how he deals with sin etc.
The everlasting Gospel is not about us ie, our response or our behaviour....in short, what we are to do whether it's prayer or baptism or the ordinances. These are fruits of the everlasting Gospel for and in those who hear and respond in gratitude.

The Sanctuary service, from the lamb slain through to the day of Atonement. The furnishings, the clothing worn, the Priest, the bread, the oil the layout within the temple itself and the arrangement of the camp around the Sanctuary/ Temple all witness to a greater reality than ourselves....ie, it is objective.......subsequently my question, 'why make it subjective'......why take what God had designed to give us an insight into him ....even though it was not understood as intended and make it about us?

What the Hebrews got out of it was that God wanted blood......and they gave him plenty of it......not much different to the practices of the nations around them.
Thank you. And agreed. Although the theme of this section is about Christian spirituality, and my post was intended to reveal how the offering of sacrifice of whatever nature it be, and at whatever time and circumstance we may find ourselves in, cannot be dissociated with prayer and the offering of our whole selves, body soul and spirit.

Reactions: BarneyFife