Men, Can you Tell If Other Men Are Good-Looking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Men, can you tell if other men are good-looking?

• Not at all.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a slightest sense of it.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • I can tell, I think, but not to the degree women can.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, I can perceive that another man is good-looking.

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sodom extended its hospitality to Lot, the nephew of Abraham, but the men of Sodom famously took their hospitality duties to allow the rape of Lot's visitors (Genesis 19:5). The proverbial "sin of Sodom," however, was not, as is often understood, of a sexual nature but rather that it had "abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy" (Ezekiel 16:49).
I think that you are straining at gnats and swallowing camels. Hedonism, the idolatry of pleasure, led to their perverse culture. It wasn't judged instead of their perverse culture. Their perverse culture was a natural outflow of their hedonism as stated in Romans 1:18-32. The "devoted" cities of Joshua, like Jericho, experienced the same annihilation.

As an artist, I am all for sensuality & pleasure as bound by "loving God with all of my mind, strength heart & soul," first.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I personally don’t think the pretty boys like Brad Pit are etc good looking.
When young I thought Clint Eastwood... and Tom Sellek were lovely ...so you are in good company! They can keep all your Brad Pitts . LOL
Even if you don't prefer "pretty boys," it sounds like there is a general consensus what "pretty boy" means. That also means that (secure) men can make that distinction.

Reactions: bbyrd009

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you say, but i suggest that emotions might be deemed the feminine, at least by others. We are two (men) in a bed, right. A woman's desire shall be for her man and all that. The two shall become one

I am not and have never been in a bed with you. I wonder if you left out a word or two there.

I started hearing 'get in touch with your feminine side', starting maybe in the 1980's. It never resonated or made sense to me. We, men, have a capacity for love, the be nurturing, etc. It's not exclusively feminine territory. Thinking of certain necessary traits and attitudes as 'feminine' isn't necessarily a good thing for men who want to be masculine who think they have to follow a social script. We wouldn't want soldiers who want to be masculine to eschew empathy because they consider it feminine.

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009

If we are going to discuss whether arsenokoites are really not going to inherit the kingdom of God and that a man lying with a man as one does with a woman should be an abomination and was among the things that even got the Gentiles kicked out of the and for their wickedness, how about we do that in another thread. The gay apologist arguments I've heard or read from Michael Vine or Metro are full of sophistry, and we could discuss it elsewhere. I do not want to derail this thread.

For the record, if a man can perceive that another man is good-looking, I do not equate that with homosexuality, and I do not think the rest of us do.

Would you like to start a new thread? I'd rather this one not be hi-jacked. That is a more serious issue and deserves a more serious thread.

Reactions: Sabertooth

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We, men, have a capacity for love, the be nurturing, etc. It's not exclusively feminine territory.
My point in the post that you are responding to isn't that nurturing is exclusively feminine. It was about thinking of feminine-specific issues from her perspective, such as poorly fitting bras or the discomfort that accompanies her cycle. I didn't have to micromanage those things for my two older daughters; I didn't have to give those things a whole lot of thought. Since my youngest daughter is non-verbal, I have to make an extra effort to get into her head, at times. That is the feminine frame of mind that I was alluding to.

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find the villain in this movie to be creepily pretty. It is very unsettling. :confused:
Stargate: Ra

I LOVE James Spader! I see him as more attractive as he is now though, he plays Raymond Reddington in The Blacklist...I know you did not ask for a woman view but, well...too bad! Hahaha...j/k. (that would be @"ByGrace" 's) influence :D
I believe many a time it can be the personality of a person that could make one more attractive to another. Ever meet a woman and at first glance you think, nah...not attractive. Then, after a month or two down the road...you get to know her personality and she suddenly becomes attractive?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then, after a month or two down the road...you get to know her personality and she suddenly becomes attractive?
I believe that pheromones play a role in in-person attraction, too, that cannot be had on-line, from a photo or video. I mean for opposite sex attraction. (I have never experienced that with a male at any point in time. That is probably why male-to-male assessment is less intuitive...
full
)

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I started hearing 'get in touch with your feminine side', starting maybe in the 1980's. It never resonated or made sense to me. We, men, have a capacity for love, the be nurturing, etc. It's not exclusively feminine territory. Thinking of certain necessary traits and attitudes as 'feminine' isn't necessarily a good thing for men who want to be masculine who think they have to follow a social script. We wouldn't want soldiers who want to be masculine to eschew empathy because they consider it feminine.
i wonder if it might be more an expression of Emotions in control, or controlling Thoughts, your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you. So ya meh on the get in touch deal

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that pheromones play a role in in-person attraction, too, that cannot be had on-line, from a photo or video. I mean for opposite sex attraction. (I have never experienced that with a male at any point in time. That is probably why male-to-male assessment is less intuitive...
full
)

"That is probably why male-to-male assessment is less intuitive...
full
"
I guess that's why men are from Mars - LOL

Reactions: Sabertooth

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's all in the eye of the beholder whether a person is good looking or not. From a female perspective I don't necessarily agree with my husband on women's good looks and he doesn't agree with me about men. Usually the men he think I might find good look are not to my taste as I prefer character to classic good looks.

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe many a time it can be the personality of a person that could make one more attractive to another. Ever meet a woman and at first glance you think, nah...not attractive. Then, after a month or two down the road...you get to know her personality and she suddenly becomes attractive?

I've been married going on 20 years now, so me being attracted to women other than my wife wouldn't serve a useful purpose. But back when I was looking for a wife... no, I never experienced that. I never recall seeing a girl I did not think was physically attractive who I got to know better and thought she was attractive. Maybe I was too focused on looks, but it's an instinctive thing, not an intellectual one. There might have been a girl who I thought was pretty who seemed prettier after she sang with a beautiful voice or did something kind, or I knew what kind of character she had, or that she loved the Lord. I experienced that with my wife, but I certainly noticed she was attractive when I saw her for the first time... or at least the second time. I met her in a rush and saw her later and wondered if the Lord would give me a woman that beautiful to be my wife... and sure enough I married not just a woman who looked that beautiful, but her.

I have experienced not noticing a girl was pretty but then noticing it after she changed her hairstyle. That may sound a bit superficial, or something out of a script of a TV sit-com, but it has happened to me.

There probably are men who find a woman they were previous not attracted to physically more attractive if she can sing or binds up a little birds wing or takes care of a baby or whatever it is. And there are women who seem to be that way about men as well.

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"That is probably why male-to-male assessment is less intuitive...
full
"
I guess that's why men are from Mars - LOL
I can tell if I perceive a woman to be good-looking the first time I see her, no matter which way the wind is blowing. I can even perceive this on magazine covers at the grocery store or on TV.

Reactions: Nancy

A_Man

Nov 8, 2019
Atlanta area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not seeing responses to my poll, and I don't know how to fix the error with the wording.

Am I the only man here who has little to no perception of whether another man is (supposed to be) good-looking?

I do not feel like I am missing much. I know I am not the only one, but I am just wondering how rare it is.

Reactions: Nancy

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can tell if I perceive a woman to be good-looking the first time I see her, no matter which way the wind is blowing. I can even perceive this on magazine covers at the grocery store or on TV.
I agree to a point, but favorable pheromones are a game-changer. I can remember thinking (while single), "That one is definitely prettier, but I am inexplicably smitten with this one...!"
full

Or as the French would say, "She has that 'je ne sais quoi...'"

Last edited:

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
actually i dont scope men out as per good looking or not sorry