Mental Illness due to Demonic Possession

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
After watching this documentary on a man who has Tourettes Syndrome; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3cD6RV4Rb8, I came to the conclusion that some mental illness (not all) could have been derived from a demonic possession.For this fellow, his *ticks* included foul language and obscene phrases. Normal people don't go on with these phrases constantly in their subconscious. So, it could have come from a demonic influence.2 Chronicles 33:6And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom: also he observed times, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger.

Jonous

Nov 17, 2007
Im pretty sure this is happening to lots of people. Ilinesses that doctors explain how they are caused but the truth is they are evil-caused. Like diseases that I believe God has given to the world because of their sins, like the HIV virous, but this is maybe another topic."24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections:" Rom1:24

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(Wakka;24757)
For this fellow, his *ticks* included foul language and obscene phrases. Normal people don't go on with these phrases constantly in their subconscious. So, it could have come from a demonic influence.
I've known several people (both genders) whose language was/is so atrocious and foul with the most vulgar words thought up by mankind that if you removed the profanity from their vocabulary, they wouldn't have anything to say. These were/are people I meet or have met in everyday life--at work, in my neighborhood, or out in public. Are any of them possessed? I have no idea, although it's quite possible.

Ikonion

Nov 19, 2007
The international classification of deseases in the 10th revision states the following:
F 95 Tic disordersSyndromes in which the predominant manifestation is some form of tic. A tic is an involuntary, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic motor movement (usually involving circumscribed muscle groups) or vocal production that is of sudden onset and that serves no apparent purpose. Tics tend to be experienced as irresistible but usually they can be suppressed for varying periods of time, are exacerbated by stress, and disappear during sleep. Common simple motor tics include only eye-blinking, neck-jerking, shoulder- shrugging, and facial grimacing. Common simple vocal tics include throat-clearing, barking, sniffing, and hissing. Common complex tics include hitting oneself, jumping, and hopping. Common complex vocal tics include the repetition of particular words, and sometimes the use of socially unacceptable (often obscene) words (coprolalia), and the repetition of one's own sounds or words (palilalia).F 95.2 Combined vocal and multiple motor tic disorder [de la Tourette]A form of tic disorder in which there are, or have been, multiple motor tics and one or more vocal tics, although these need not have occurred concurrently. The disorder usually worsens during adolescence and tends to persist into adult life. The vocal tics are often multiple with explosive repetitive vocalizations, throat-clearing, and grunting, and there may be the use of obscene words or phrases. Sometimes there is associated gestural echopraxia which may also be of an obscene nature (copropraxia).

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
Having worked for and retired from a VA Medical Center that was primarily a psychiatric hospital. I believe that some (if not much) insanity is caused by possession. A good example is the time a Christian friend of mine rebuked a mental patient in Jesus name and got a terrified response from the patient. My friend simply said, "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ." The terrified man cried, "NO, NO, don't do that!" That is how satan reacts to the name of Jesus Christ.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
I believe this as well with mental illness, although not all of it---- sometimes we are ill just by our fallen nature.But there's another aspect to this---- physical illness could be demonic oppression as well that seems to be overlooked. Right now I'm going thru some nervousness and stomach complaints (will schedule some tests next month) but the woman who teaches our class at church thinks I'm being attacked satanically. I thought that, too. Than again, maybe it's my fallen nature if I don't obey dietary laws. I take my vitamins, and herbs, and try to eat right, but there's always that temptation to eat some things wrong, plus I don't move around as much as I should (exercise). Maybe it is demons, but demons of temptation and laziness as well.

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
(tim_from_pa;25521)
I believe this as well with mental illness, although not all of it---- sometimes we are ill just by our fallen nature.But there's another aspect to this---- physical illness could be demonic oppression as well that seems to be overlooked. Right now I'm going thru some nervousness and stomach complaints (will schedule some tests next month) but the woman who teaches our class at church thinks I'm being attacked satanically. I thought that, too. Than again, maybe it's my fallen nature if I don't obey dietary laws. I take my vitamins, and herbs, and try to eat right, but there's always that temptation to eat some things wrong, plus I don't move around as much as I should (exercise). Maybe it is demons, but demons of temptation and laziness as well.
I don't know if demons target eating habits. Anyhow, maybe you're just sick
tongue.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Well, Wakka, you're young yet, and I think highly of you. But wait until you get to be an old "apostle" like me---- the Lord has to get me movin'. I think my problem is just laziness. Jesus tells me otherwise to get going!

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
They were discussing building "super-prisons" in the UK and a Gov't minister commented that 80% of women prisoners suffer from some sort of mental illness. The figure is high, but not that high for men.

Cloakk

Oct 5, 2007
Hey Guys,There are some interesting ideas here about demon possession but I'm not sure if any of them are scripturally correct. I'd like to note that the use of language is not a determining factor in possession. I myself, am admittedly fairly coarse in my language (I drop the F-Bomb among many other horrible words) but I'm a christian and I am most definitely not possessed.
My friend simply said, "I rebuke you in the name of Jesus Christ." The terrified man cried, "NO, NO, don't do that!" That is how satan reacts to the name of Jesus Christ.
Using the words "I command you to leave in the name of Jesus" without confirming there's a demon is pretty unwise. This is why there are systems for exorcists. That man may simply be mocking your friend or you. In fact, the Rites indicates processions where prayers are spoken in languages unknown to the suspected possessed to validate whether it's a farce or not. Demons understand latin, most people don't.
Right now I'm going thru some nervousness and stomach complaints (will schedule some tests next month) but the woman who teaches our class at church thinks I'm being attacked satanically.
I'm not going to say that the woman you speak of is necessarily wrong, but I will say that this is improbable. My girlfriend is stressed to hell all the time and she usually gets headaches and stomach aches. She's not possessed, she's just stressed to hell. When you wear down your mind, the body suffers. Also, if we think we're sick we engage our selves to "negative" placebo effects. Mind you, if you believe it's a demon and you get exorcised, you'll probably feel better for the same "placebo" effect.Demons in the bible are more often the not, malevolent creatures. They seriously injure the host, and cause supernatural abilities like unparalleled strength, multiple voices and knowledge that could not have been known by the host. On average, I'd say our minds play more tricks on us then demons do, and although their nature is still under study, I'd say the repercussions of demon possession are usually larger than some of these minor "inconveniences."

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I don't believe in the Catholic exorcists who use (un)holy water. Show me a place in the scripture that even mentions holy water. I've never heard of any.

Cloakk

Oct 5, 2007
To my knowledge, it doesn't exist... nor did I claim it did. I just said that there is a system in place. I did not speak about it's perfection. The idea of the post is just to get people to reflect a little more before claiming demon-possession. I believe possession is possible, but it is for that belief that I do not take claims likely. Minor claims such as the ones aformentioned are things that make Christians look crazy and unreasonable. Logical thought and consideration are what is needed when approaching this delicate subject.

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(Wakka;26346)
I don't believe in the Catholic exorcists who use (un)holy water. Show me a place in the scripture that even mentions holy water. I've never heard of any.
Wakka, I have an honest question and I'm looking for an honest answer. Has there ever been an instance where a person who was truly, truly possessed was able to have the demon expelled simply by reading the Bible? I'll admit, I don't have a ton of knowledge on this subject, but I do know the Catholic Church has rites in place for performing exorcisms. After all, Christ Himself gave His disciples the authority to cast out demons in His name. That's as biblical as it gets! As for holy water, Catholics are born-again in through the waters of baptism. Holy water is a symbol of our baptism. Why WOULDN't a priest use this in an exorcism? The devil hates that, and he hates priests. Simply picking up a bible and reading it isn't going to do squat to a demon who possesses a person.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Sorry Goldly but I think this is another example of the church injecting itself between God and his children God gives us power over evil spirit we are to rebuke them in the name of Jesus Christ and order them to get behind us No where in scripture are we told to run to our local priest to have exorcism performed. I think this is part of the reason the Catholic have such a problem with evil spirits among them they don't teach their followers to depend on God an turn to Christ they teach them to come to men. As far as mental illness yes there can be cases of evil spirits causing this but their are evil men also that put chemicals,pesticides in our food ,water ect that cause just as much if not more illness mental or otherwise than evil spirits

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(kriss;26403)
Sorry Goldly but I think this is another example of the church injecting itself between God and his children God gives us power over evil spirit we are to rebuke them in the name of Jesus Christ and order them to get behind us No where in scripture are we told to run to our local priest to have exorcism performed. I think this is part of the reason the Catholic have such a problem with evil spirits among them they don't teach their followers to depend on God an turn to Christ they teach them to come to men. As far as mental illness yes there can be cases of evil spirits causing this but their are evil men also that put chemicals,pesticides in our food ,water ect that cause just as much if not more illness mental or otherwise than evil spirits
Alright, I'm going to challenge you a little bit here:principle #1: Did Christ not give the authority to His disciples (simple men) to drive out demons in His name?Principle #2: Do you know of any time where a person who was truly possessed not use a Catholic priest to perform the exorcism and was successful? I don't.....Principle#3: Remember, Christ is the one expelling the demons. The priest is simply an instrument, much like with the sacrament of confession. Be careful not to confuse this with just a person performing an exorcism and not using Christ.Principle #4: The devil hates the Catholic Church, plain and simple. He'll do whatever he can to bring hatred and shame on the Church. Did you realize that satanic cults have a Black Mass? It's basically the complete opposite of the Catholic Mass. They sacrifice animals, turn crucifixes upside down, and desecrate the Eucharist, among other things. Why would they do this? THEY HATE THE CATHOLIC CHURCH!! The more I see the Church attacked, the more I'm aware each and everyday that it's the true Church. And the devil hates that.....

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I only take argument with one point Christ gave us all this power that he gave the aspostles to cast out demons he never said we had to have another do it for us and I take issue with comparing a priest to aspostles and as being Christ representive Christ never said he needed nor were we to appoint a represenative of himPriests are no more nor less than any preacher teacher of any kindThey are nothing speacial they have no speacial authority from God to do anything.Other church's dont do this because they build up the spirit of the individual to have faith to do this themselfs and accept the power God gave each of us the catholic church says in essence says:you cant have enough faith or a good enough relationship with God to thisonly our appointed priest can do thisproblem is this isnt what God says

goldy

Nov 6, 2007
(kriss;26425)
I only take argument with one point Christ gave us all this power that he gave the aspostles to cast out demons he never said we had to have another do it for us and I take issue with comparing a priest to aspostles and as being Christ representive Christ never said he needed nor were we to appoint a represenative of himPriests are no more nor less than any preacher teacher of any kindThey are nothing speacial they have no speacial authority from God to do anything.Other church's dont do this because they build up the spirit of the individual to have faith to do this themselfs and accept the power God gave each of us the catholic church says in essence says:you cant have enough faith or a good enough relationship with God to thisonly our appointed priest can do thisproblem is this isnt what God says
Do you ever pray for somebody Kriss? If so, why? After all, as Christians we should be able to just have the faith we need and read God's Word, right? Does Christ simply drop down on a cloud and do things for you or others you know? Not being arrogant here, just trying to understand.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
the catholic church says in essence says:you cant have enough faith or a good enough relationship with God to thisonly our appointed priest can do thisAnd was this what Jesus meant when he did basically the same thing and appointed Peter as the leader of the early catholic church. did he appoint peter to a high position to tell the other christians that your faith is not good enough?? because the catholic church does the exact same thing with there priest, and by calling the church in error. right now you are calling God in error.People brought the sick onto the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter's shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by (Acts 5:15).why would the early christian church do this if they were in the position themselves. Because they wanted a leader to do it, and God knew that and appointed a leader to do it. and would you say that peter is healing people by himself. No anybody who studies the bible would realize Peter was doing this through God. It is the same way with most of the catholic churched priest.your brother in christRyan Fitz

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
He appointed Peter to lead and advise not to place himself between the people and God every church has a leader we are not talking a leader we are talking a pseudo replacement and its apple and oranges to pray for someone they are praying and you can choose to also pray for that person prayers to be answered but the priest puts himself in the middle in effect he do the praying and the decision making. He in fact claims to be/have Christ's authority and he has no such standing in the eyes of God.He has no more authority to chase out demons then any true believer on the streetMy point still is God gave us all that authorityAnd again where do you get you can compare any priest to Christ or to Peter Men appointing a priest and Christ appointing one are two differnt thingsthats like saying because Christ picked fiherman all people that fish(literaly) are apostles

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
In response to Kriss: To make sure that the apostles’ teachings would be passed down after the deaths of the apostles, Paul told Timothy, "What you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also" (2 Tim. 2:2). Notice Paul didn't say ALL who heard would be given the authority to teach - he told Timothy to entrust that responsibility to faithful men. Why is that? Because at that time, of course there wasn't a Bible, and many would hear of Christ, become His follower and then turn away from the true gospel and begin to belief falsehoods. The Gnostics for example believed a corrupted version of Christianity. Obviously THEY were not to be trusted and were given NO authority by God to teach. Christianity was kept free from their distored views BECAUSE of the Church Authority that was put in place from Peter - and those he chose - and those they chose etc. It is our belief as Catholics that God established this authority begining with Peter and our Pope Benedict can trace his lineage back to Peter (the first Pope). Now I know you are thinking
rolleyes.gif
oh brother.. - but in all fairness, answer this - if God wanted us to individually have our own authority and not listen to other men, but rather, use the Bible alone as our guide, WHY didn't he provide Bibles right away? He's God - He can do anything, right? But he didn't do that. And it even sounds ridiculous when I suggest that he should've. What Jesus DID do is appoint Peter. Notice in Mathew 16: 18And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Christ gave Peter authority on both on Earth AND in Heaven. Christ was establishing HIS authority. It was through a PERSON - not the Bible. And notice what they are to do if they have a problem with a brother: 15Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. 18Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again - who was given authority to discipline or cast out as a "heathen?" The Church which was identified by Christ himself as His ruling authority.... and Christ Himself said the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.