Micah 5:2 " “But thou, Bethlehem Ephrathah, ..... whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eliyahu613

Apr 14, 2020
Judea
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Israel
Bs"d

When I was searching for Micah 5:2, I saw that this verse is many times used to claim that the messiah is going to be God Himself, because he is from everlasting.

Therefore a separate topic about that.

Micah 5:2

“But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, Too little to be among the clans of Judah, From you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel His goings forth are from long ago, From the days of eternity.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible ” Bethlehem Ephrathah, you are small among the clans of Judah; One will come from you to be ruler over Israel for Me. His origin is from antiquity, from eternity.

New Life Version “His coming was planned long ago, from the beginning.”

Darby Translation “whose goings forth are from of old, from the days of eternity.”

American Standard Version “whose goings forth are from of old, from everlasting.”

All versions of the King James: “whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.”

Amplified Bible “Whose goings forth have been from of old, from ancient days (eternity).

All the above translation say the origins of the messiah are from “everlasting” or from “eternity”, hereby implying that the messiah is God.
The Hebrew words here translated with “from everlasting” or “days of eternity” are “yamei olam”, which means literally “ancient days”.
Many Bible translations translate it like that, only the above hold on to “days of eternity”, or something with the same implications, because they want to push the wrong Christian idea that the messiah is God himself.

However, also the above translations know how to correctly translate the words “yamei olam”. We see that for instance in Micah 7:14, were the same expression “yamei olam” is used. See here how the above translate it there:

Holman Christian Standard Bible ” Let them graze in Bashan and Gilead as in ancient times.”

New Life Version “Let them eat in Bashan and Gilead as in days long ago.”

Darby Translation “let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old. ”

American Standard Version “let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.”

King James: “let them feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.”

New American Standard Bible “Let them feed in Bashan and Gilead As in the days of old.”

Amplified Bible “they shall feed in Bashan and Gilead, as in the days of old.”

Another place where the expression “yamei olam” is used, is in Isaiah 63:11

Holman Christian Standard Bible ” Then He remembered the days of the past, [the days] of Moses [and] his people.”

New Life Version “Then His people remembered the days long ago, the days of Moses.”

Darby Translation “But he remembered the days of old, Moses [and] his people:”

American Standard Version “Then he remembered the days of old, Moses and his people,”

King James: “Then he remembered the days of old, Moses, and his people,”

New American Standard Bible “Then His people remembered the days of old, of Moses”

Amplified Bible “Then His people [seriously] remembered the days of old, of Moses and his people”

Another place where the expression “yamei olam” is used is Amos 9:11

Holman Christian Standard Bible “In that day I will restore the fallen booth of David: I will repair its gaps,
restore its ruins, and rebuild it as in the days of old,”

New Life Version “In that day I will build again the tent of David that fell down. Yes, I will build it again from the stones that fell down. I will set it up again as it used to be.”

Darby Translation “and I will raise up its ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:”

American Standard Version “and I will raise up its ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old;”

King James: “and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:”

Amplified Bible “and I will raise up its ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old,”

New American Standard Bible “I will also raise up its ruins And rebuild it as in the days of old;”

Another place where the expression “yamei olam” is used is in Malachi 3:4

Holman Christian Standard Bible “And the offerings of Judah and Jerusalem will please the LORD as in days of old and years gone by”

New Life Version “Then the gifts of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the Lord, as they were in the past.”

Darby Translation “Then shall the oblation of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto J-e-h-o-v-a-h, as in the days of old, and as in former years.”

American Standard Version “Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto J-e-h-o-v-a-h, as in the days of old, and as in ancient years. ”

King James: “Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the LORD, as in the days of old, and as in former years.”

Amplified Bible “hen will the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasing to the Lord as in the days of old and as in ancient years.”

New American Standard Bible “”Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years.”

It should be clear by now for everybody that the expression “yamei olam” has no bearing on “days of eternity” whatsoever.

It is always translated correct, except there where Christianity wants to push it’s dogma of a divine messiah. There the translations are corrupted in order to squeeze in JC.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The OP sits well with persons like myself who assert that Jesus of Nazareth is a human person.

Is Micah 5:2 a messianic prophecy? I believe it is (and so do those who assert that Jesus is a divine person, not a human person).

What about Judaism?

Jews for Judaism waffles on the question.

”Was there a prediction that the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem?

Answer: This verse refers to the Messiah, a descendant of David. Since David came from Bethlehem, Micah’s prophecy speaks of Bethlehem as the Messiah’s place of origin. …”

(Gerald Sigal, “Will Messiah be born in Bethlehem?”)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The linked article documents that Rabbi Rashi and Rabbi Kimchi identified Micah 5:2 as a messianic prophecy. (Of course neither one of them believed Jesus is the prophesied messiah.)

(K.B. Vogelman, “Micah’s Unique Bethlehem Prophecy”)