Miracles and Healing: Are they for us today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Miracles have ALWAYS been as closely related to the operation of the Spirit of God as smoke is to fire. Where there is fire there will be smoke. Where the Spirit of God is at work there will be miracles. Now, I could just stop here and call it quits, but I want to prove this assertion. Furthermore, it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that we validate the "genuine" and expose the "counterfeit."

Are "all" miracles of God, or can satan also work in the supernatural?

GENUINE:
Exodus 7:8-10 "And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent. And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the Lord had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.

COUNTERFEIT:
Exodus 7:11-12 "Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments. For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods."

GENUINE:
Exodus 7:20 "And Moses and Aaron did so, as the LORD commanded; and he lifted up the rod, and smote the waters that were in the river, in the sight of Pharaoh, and in the sight of his servants; and all the waters that were in the river were turned into blood.

COUNTERFEIT:
Exodus 7:22 "And the magicians of Egypt did so with their enchantments: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, neither did he hearken unto them; as the LORD had said."

GENUINE:
Exodus 8:16-17 "And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt. And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt."

COUNTERFEIT (attempted, but failed):
Exodus 8:18 "And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast."

Before the exodus from Egypt, God wrought 8 more miracles: flies, death of cattle, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, and death of all the first born...except where the blood was applied.

Jesus said:

St. John 14:8-12 "Philip saith unto Him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hast seen the Father, and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I so shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Mark 16:15-18 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

It is obvious to me that miracles should be as natural today in the "Church" as preaching is. Furthermore, without a doubt it is proven that God actually placed miracles in the Church.

1 Corinthians 12:1-14 "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits, to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will. For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many."

However, there are some today who have taken miracles out of their Church, and who insist that there are no more miracles today except for the counterfeit lying signs and wonders of satan. I will agree with these same people that we MUST be on guard against the works of the devil, but it is not wise to burn down your barn to get rid of the rats.....just get a cat. Miracles are for us today. To say anything other than that would be calling God a liar, and God is no liar!

Sure, there are counterfeit works of darkness that we must beware of. In Matthew 7:20-23 Jesus said, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Some use this passage to say, "See I told you miracles were of the devil." But what they ignorantly overlook is that these people were presenting their "credentials" to the Lord to gain entrance, but the Lord recognized their credentials as being "counterfeit" credentials and rejected them.

Some "so called" Bible scholars use this verse to condemn and discredit any and all miracles today:

1 Corinthians 13:8-12 "Charity never faileth: but whether there by prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known."

If a person doesn't believe in miracles, doesn't want miracles, or even if they hate miracles, that's their business. I can deal with that. But, where I draw the line is when they say things like: "God doesn't perform miracles today." ...or... "Anything miraculous or supernatural today is of the devil."

Here's what I'll put in their face in a heart beat:

In 2 Timothy Chapter 3 Paul starts off with a description of conditions in the last days, which very accurately describes the day in which you and I live. In verse 5 he says, "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

These people will have a form a godliness. They will appear to be religious, but they will deny the "power" thereof. That Greek word translated "power" here is translated "miracles" in other places in the New Testament such as: 1 Corithians 12:10 and in 1 Corinthains 12:28 where it says:

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues."

This is precisely what these people are so adamantly opposed to, and DENY. Now my question is: Does the Word of God back them in their contempt for and denial of anything miraculous, or does the Word of God back the miraculous works of God, and there are also the "counterfeit" works of darkness which the child of God MUST be able to distinguish between?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
don't hold me to it, but I heard some time ago that the ancients knew how to make serpents stiff like a stick or rod so, we weren't there but, that's what could have been the case.

today we have images that speak, and tell you what you should do and believe.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Is God alive?
Then miracles will continue to exist.

What is a miracle?
Its God resolving a bad situation in life that was harmful, by changing it into a good situation that is a recovery or a restitution.
Sometimes a miracle is to protect you. Sometimes a miracle is to lead you. Sometimes a miracle is to call you.
Often, the miracle is because you asked your Heavenly Father to HELP, and He DID.

Life is a miracle.
Creation is a miracle.
Jesus is a Miracle.

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
today we have images that speak, and tell you what you should do and believe.

The Marian apparitions and speaking through the statues may be classified in that category.

Revelation 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is God alive?
Then miracles will continue to exist.

What is a miracle?
Its God resolving a bad situation in life that was harmful, by changing it into a good situation that is a recovery or a restitution.
Sometimes a miracle is to protect you. Sometimes a miracle is to lead you. Sometimes a miracle is to call you.
Often, the miracle is because you asked your Heavenly Father to HELP, and He DID.

Life is a miracle.
Creation is a miracle.
Jesus is a Miracle.

A sister in our prayer group shared this testimony:

She went down south and on the return trip her car broke down. She prayed and said; Jesus you are my only way out of here.
She turned the key and the car started right up. It ran all the way home where it DIED right in front of her house.

I have heard many such testimonies over the years, and sharing them adds to our own faith.

Thanks.

Reactions: marks and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have been miraculously healed at least twice so I know God is still performing miracles. And apart fro the healing there have been many other miracles; relationships have been healed, lost things found, broken things mended and our lives saved from certain death. Praise God. I thank him for these wonders in my life and have a small tray of pebbles on my hearth as a reminder - an Ebenezer.

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been miraculously healed at least twice so I know God is still performing miracles. And apart fro the healing there have been many other miracles; relationships have been healed, lost things found, broken things mended and our lives saved from certain death. Praise God. I thank him for these wonders in my life and have a small tray of pebbles on my hearth as a reminder - an Ebenezer.

That's wonderful news. We serve an awesome God.

Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Thanks for sharing.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

She went down south and on the return trip her car broke down. She prayed and said; Jesus you are my only way out of here.
She turned the key and the car started right up. It ran all the way home where it DIED right in front of her house.

I have heard many such testimonies over the years, and sharing them adds to our own faith.

Thanks.

thank you for sharing.

Reactions: BGR

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Marian apparitions and speaking through the statues may be classified in that category.

Revelation 13:15 And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.

your tv is a speaking image. that's less than 100's old.

Reactions: BGR

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
your tv is a speaking image. that's less than 100's old.

I haven't owned a tv in years, I cant stand what comes out of it.
I do agree with you - Thanks!

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Miracles have ALWAYS been as closely related to the operation of the Spirit of God as smoke is to fire. Where there is fire there will be smoke. Where the Spirit of God is at work there will be miracles. Now, I could just stop here and call it quits, but I want to prove this assertion. Furthermore, it is absolutely ESSENTIAL that we validate the "genuine" and expose the "counterfeit."

Are "all" miracles of God, or can satan also work in the supernatural?

GENUINE:
Exodus 7:8-10 "And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying, When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent. And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the Lord had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.

COUNTERFEIT:
Exodus 7:11-12 "Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments. For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods."

GENUINE:
Exodus 7:20 "And Moses and Aaron did so, as the LORD commanded; and he lifted up the rod, and smote the waters that were in the river, in the sight of Pharaoh, and in the sight of his servants; and all the waters that were in the river were turned into blood.

COUNTERFEIT:
Exodus 7:22 "And the magicians of Egypt did so with their enchantments: and Pharaoh's heart was hardened, neither did he hearken unto them; as the LORD had said."

GENUINE:
Exodus 8:16-17 "And the LORD said unto Moses, Say unto Aaron, Stretch out thy rod, and smite the dust of the land, that it may become lice throughout all the land of Egypt. And they did so; for Aaron stretched out his hand with his rod, and smote the dust of the earth, and it became lice in man, and in beast; all the dust of the land became lice throughout all the land of Egypt."

COUNTERFEIT (attempted, but failed):
Exodus 8:18 "And the magicians did so with their enchantments to bring forth lice, but they could not: so there were lice upon man, and upon beast."

Before the exodus from Egypt, God wrought 8 more miracles: flies, death of cattle, boils, hail, locusts, darkness, and death of all the first born...except where the blood was applied.

Jesus said:

St. John 14:8-12 "Philip saith unto Him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hast seen the Father, and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father? Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, He doeth the works. Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. Verily, verily I say unto you, he that believeth on me, the works that I so shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

Mark 16:15-18 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

It is obvious to me that miracles should be as natural today in the "Church" as preaching is. Furthermore, without a doubt it is proven that God actually placed miracles in the Church.

1 Corinthians 12:1-14 "Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits, to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as He will. For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many."

However, there are some today who have taken miracles out of their Church, and who insist that there are no more miracles today except for the counterfeit lying signs and wonders of satan. I will agree with these same people that we MUST be on guard against the works of the devil, but it is not wise to burn down your barn to get rid of the rats.....just get a cat. Miracles are for us today. To say anything other than that would be calling God a liar, and God is no liar!

Sure, there are counterfeit works of darkness that we must beware of. In Matthew 7:20-23 Jesus said, "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Some use this passage to say, "See I told you miracles were of the devil." But what they ignorantly overlook is that these people were presenting their "credentials" to the Lord to gain entrance, but the Lord recognized their credentials as being "counterfeit" credentials and rejected them.

Some "so called" Bible scholars use this verse to condemn and discredit any and all miracles today:

1 Corinthians 13:8-12 "Charity never faileth: but whether there by prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known."

If a person doesn't believe in miracles, doesn't want miracles, or even if they hate miracles, that's their business. I can deal with that. But, where I draw the line is when they say things like: "God doesn't perform miracles today." ...or... "Anything miraculous or supernatural today is of the devil."

Here's what I'll put in their face in a heart beat:

In 2 Timothy Chapter 3 Paul starts off with a description of conditions in the last days, which very accurately describes the day in which you and I live. In verse 5 he says, "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

These people will have a form a godliness. They will appear to be religious, but they will deny the "power" thereof. That Greek word translated "power" here is translated "miracles" in other places in the New Testament such as: 1 Corithians 12:10 and in 1 Corinthains 12:28 where it says:

"To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues."

This is precisely what these people are so adamantly opposed to, and DENY. Now my question is: Does the Word of God back them in their contempt for and denial of anything miraculous, or does the Word of God back the miraculous works of God, and there are also the "counterfeit" works of darkness which the child of God MUST be able to distinguish between?
we dont see miracle workers in hospitals for the same reason we dont see psychics winning the lottery i guess. This literal application of Scripture vv is maybe not the best focus to have imo, tho im sure you mean well. Arent miracles given to compel the lost? I suggest that one mans miracle is another's avg day, and that "miracles" are often the effects of pov, just like sin is, maybe

i dont mean to say that genuine miracles or healing dont exist, but it seems that when they become the focus then sellers of "miracles" invariably arise? Put another way, if we become buyers or seekers of miracles per se, then we will manifest Benny Hinns, seems to me anyway. ok peace

BGR

Jul 13, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we dont see miracle workers in hospitals for the same reason we dont see psychics winning the lottery i guess. This literal application of Scripture vv is maybe not the best focus to have imo, tho im sure you mean well. Arent miracles given to compel the lost? I suggest that one mans miracle is another's avg day, and that "miracles" are often the effects of pov, just like sin is, maybe

i dont mean to say that genuine miracles or healing dont exist, but it seems that when they become the focus then sellers of "miracles" invariably arise? Put another way, if we become buyers or seekers of miracles per se, then we will manifest Benny Hinns, seems to me anyway. ok peace

You have point. And perhaps your right, not being the "focus". I don't recall Paul or any of the apostles emptying out a hospital either ... but they always gave glory to the Lord and this collectively is what spread abroad.

BTW, I like your example of modern day counterfeit.
Thanks!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
a thing im noticing is that it could be said we live in a miracle, im chatting with a buddy in jerusalem a moment ago, all more or less "free," as a for-instance, but there are many other examples i guess, a point being that according to many life has never been better for us than it is right now, by any measure one might care to use, yet Christians are, broadly speaking, all waiting for the end of the world in anticipation? This is passing strange to me, yet i am complicit, too. Well, even if it is tech speaking not "illegal" :)

are we doomed as we get older to moan more and more, as the world gets better and better?
work while it is day, for the night is coming, when no man can work

Reactions: Stan B

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thanks.
Broken is meaningless to God!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
are we doomed as we get older to moan more and more, as the world gets better and better?
Pretty much, I think, except that while the outer man is wasting away, the inner man grows stronger.

Reactions: Stan B and bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a thing im noticing is that it could be said we live in a miracle, im chatting with a buddy in jerusalem a moment ago, all more or less "free," as a for-instance, but there are many other examples i guess, a point being that according to many life has never been better for us than it is right now, by any measure one might care to use, yet Christians are, broadly speaking, all waiting for the end of the world in anticipation? This is passing strange to me, yet i am complicit, too. Well, even if it is tech speaking not "illegal" :)

The end or finish is coming [or is it here now?]... my finish and your finish and her finish and his finish?

Is it day still or has night already arrived... for anyone?

Here we see the finish of Jesus:

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost." John 19:30

And here the finish of Paul:

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:" II Tim 4:7

And then here does it speak of our finish?

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

When there is no more faith is because this is no longer what faith is?

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1

When our vision is perfectly clear is faith then replaced by face to face vision and knowledge?

"For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." I Cor 13:12

With all that men and churches teach us is it at all confusing [as through a glass darkly] to anyone?

"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace,.." I Cor 14:33

Does anyone need just one more touch?

"And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly" Mark 8:23-25

Reactions: bbyrd009