Mistake in Translation - Galatians 5:17

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think so maam, but I don't remember discussing it with you. To me predestination would mean you have no say so in a matter. Although it may apply in some instances or circumstances, I would say that is very rare. I believe we have been given free will, especially when it comes to choosing which God we will serve. It would be unrighteous on God's part to destroy someone whom He personally predestined to fail.

If you disagree with what I just said, please tell me why, and how you understand it as I seem to be ignorant as to how this came up.

You actually talked about it in #24, to which I asked you who taught you this.

#24 "Being born again, has nothing to do with sin maam. All of them have been selected from among mankind to be Kings and Priests in the Kingdom of God. I would imagine that none of them committed serious sins, but I really don't know. But one thing is for certain, all of them did and do sin."

You seemed to describ predesitination.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You actually talked about it in #24, to which I asked you who taught you this.

#24 "Being born again, has nothing to do with sin maam. All of them have been selected from among mankind to be Kings and Priests in the Kingdom of God. I would imagine that none of them committed serious sins, but I really don't know. But one thing is for certain, all of them did and do sin."

You seemed to describ predesitination.

I understand, thank you for clarifying that. I see no scriptural reason to assume that those selected are destined for that position. I believe Jehovah and Jesus agreeably select them for their qualities. There have been times in the past that individuals do seem to be predestined, however keep in mind Jehovah knows the finale from the beginning, an individuals life course before they do it, a quality that we do not possess maam. So when we see a prophecy about an individual before they are born, such as Cyrus, then we may think that he was predestined to fulfill, but I think it more that Jehovah just knew the outcome before it was written.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand, thank you for clarifying that. I see no scriptural reason to assume that those selected are destined for that position. I believe Jehovah and Jesus agreeably select them for their qualities. There have been times in the past that individuals do seem to be predestined, however keep in mind Jehovah knows the finale from the beginning, an individuals life course before they do it, a quality that we do not possess maam. So when we see a prophecy about an individual before they are born, such as Cyrus, then we may think that he was predestined to fulfill, but I think it more that Jehovah just knew the outcome before it was written.

That is called foreknowledge, not predestination.

There are some groups of people that ARE predestined, but not necessarily for salvation. Like the descendants of Jacob, the children of Israel, were predestined as a nation, but not each individual was saved. The apostles were predestined out of that nation, even Judas. The mistake in believing in predestination for some is that they believe it means salvation, when it doesn't.

Free will is taken into consideration in the theology of foreknowledge.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is called foreknowledge, not predestination.

There are some groups of people that ARE predestined, but not necessarily for salvation. Like the descendants of Jacob, the children of Israel, were predestined as a nation, but not each individual was saved. The apostles were predestined out of that nation, even Judas. The mistake in believing in predestination for some is that they believe it means salvation, when it doesn't.

Free will is taken into consideration in the theology of foreknowledge.

Again your example would fall under foreknowledge, true Jacobs descendants were born into the faith, but they were free to leave. They were not predestined to be his descendants, any more than we who were born in a particular country was predestined to be born there. It simply was the circumstances, but that is neither here nor there, we agree on the point. No one is predestined to serve or reject Jehovah, they personally choose for themselves.

So I gather our understanding of predestination is the same.

Reactions: amadeus

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again your example would fall under foreknowledge, true Jacobs descendants were born into the faith, but they were free to leave. They were not predestined to be his descendants, any more than we who were born in a particular country was predestined to be born there. It simply was the circumstances, but that is neither here nor there, we agree on the point. No one is predestined to serve or reject Jehovah, they personally choose for themselves.

So I gather our understanding of predestination is the same.

That is what I'm saying. Predestination doesn't equate to salvation as Calvinists believe. Even Judas was "chosen." What we do is our responsibility.

Reactions: amadeus