Modesty in Worship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Rex said:
I've been meaning to post here since this thread was started.

Modesty in worship to me is this, it has nothing to do with my outward appearance. If your heart is humble so will your appearance be.
In the same vein I don't see "shout, dance in the Holy Spirit, fall out, speak in tongues, run, jump, holler and praise God expressively" as modesty or humility.
http://www.christianityboard.com/topic/17172-manifestations/?view=findpost&p=176237
But that's just me as another here says "hollering from the choir loft..."

When I go to a church I'm not looking for gold and silver jewelry, $100 manicures, $500 shoes and purse combos.

Silk shirts and $1000 coats. I'm looking for practical shoes clean blue jeans, and functional coats. Some one that's listening or reading, not to trying to be heard over everyone else, or draw the center of attention to themselves.

Even though I'm not looking or interested, people just can't resist dragging it out and standing it up in front of you.
I'm looking for heavenly treasures, not worldly treasures. Some times I just want to say, "I see you've received your reward, where your heart is there also is your treasure" Matthew 6:21

I want to puke when I'm introduced to someone, that's Joe, he owns the big car dealership downtown, he's been with us for years but since hes been building that new house on the hill hes been pretty busy, but come on, I'd like you to meet him. I can go to any bar in the country to play a game of pool and find the same modesty.
What does what I posted in the Manifestations thread have to do with this thread on Modesty? How I express myself in worship is simply how I express myself. I see no need of you bring that into this current thread. I agree with you modesty begins with the humility of the inward man if the inner man is truly humble then the outward appearance will be modest. I do not see sitting in a Church quietly and no expression as modest or immodest its the heart condition that counts. Yes I speak in tongues, run, shout and dance in the Holy Spirit and even fall out yet that is how I and others in my church express themselves in worship. Yet when do it in modesty because we are blessed with those gifts and expressions from Jesus and He creates in us the manifestations of the Holy Spirit and leads our hearts into humility and modest apparel. Why did you even have to touch my personal beliefs and expressions of worship anyway? I do not see the connection? Enlighten me please?

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
UHCAIan said:
What does what I posted in the Manifestations thread have to do with this thread on Modesty? How I express myself in worship is simply how I express myself. I see no need of you bring that into this current thread. I agree with you modesty begins with the humility of the inward man if the inner man is truly humble then the outward appearance will be modest. I do not see sitting in a Church quietly and no expression as modest or immodest its the heart condition that counts. Yes I speak in tongues, run, shout and dance in the Holy Spirit and even fall out yet that is how I and others in my church express themselves in worship. Yet when do it in modesty because we are blessed with those gifts and expressions from Jesus and He creates in us the manifestations of the Holy Spirit and leads our hearts into humility and modest apparel. Why did you even have to touch my personal beliefs and expressions of worship anyway? I do not see the connection? Enlighten me please?
I'm simply saying what I believe and do, modesty is being humble IMO. If Pentecostal worship is modesty for you so be it.
this is your first sentence,

Modesty should be the central aim of our walk with Jesus it should permeate our dress, speech and conduct.
Pentecostal worship isn't for me, can I say that along with my reasoning?
I find it distracting, when I see modesty and worship together the last thing I'm thinking is pentecostal.
I find it interesting, your words and opinion about modesty VS your choice of worship. Is that clear, because that's my point.

You mention conduct as well so how does this modest conduct look to you?
Your main point in nearly every post is appearance, not conduct,

Modesty is the outward show of inward humility. If one has genuine inward humility one will naturally display modesty.
The bulleted code of conduct is how myself being apart of the United Holy Church how we are asked to dress in modesty and moderation. They are not telling us what to wear but are letting us know what is appropriate for mature Christian people. Now those that newly convert to Christ grow in grace and thus their knowledge will mature and their humility and modesty.

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Rex said:
I'm simply saying what I believe and do, modesty is being humble IMO. If Pentecostal worship is modesty for you so be it.
this is your first sentence,

Pentecostal worship isn't for me, can I say that along with my reasoning?
I find it distracting, when I see modesty and worship together the last thing I'm thinking is pentecostal.
I find it interesting, your words and opinion about modesty VS your choice of worship. Is that clear, because that's my point.

You mention conduct as well so how does this modest conduct look to you?
Your main point in nearly every post is appearance, not conduct,
I am not sure I understand what you are saying. I have served the Lord for several years and to me Pentecostal worship is modest and it does permeate my conduct. Pentecostal expressions are our worship expressions we are not always running round and outwardly showing but at times when the Holy Spirit moves it is edifying and uplifting not distracting. Our worship edifies us as individuals and as a corporate body. Our worship brings us into closer communion with God. And yes inward humility is manifested on outward modesty in dress and conduct. I just do not see how worship expressions has anything to do with modesty. Please explain to me further? Im not understanding? I do not see a contradiction on my view of modesty and my worship expression. It is modest to me. Its worship the core of worship is humble submission before God and allowing your whole being to be pulled into worship of God. Its one of the most intimate forms of humility and modesty!

PantherEye

Dec 9, 2012
Texas
Very good points being made. I have noticed in modern days, that "appropriate" attire is being redefined, especially by teenage girls. I see slinky low cut tops, low rider jeans with underwear showing, and even worse- no underwear at all and just skin showing. While I do not go with hard and fast rigid rules for church attire (our church we wear jeans/t-shirts, or sometimes slacks & a blouse), but the nonsense in my mind comes when women feel they have to show everything off. Now I do not agree with the legalistic/rigidness of UPC in only wearing dresses for the women, but there does need to be modesty.

Reactions: IanLC

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
PantherEye said:
Very good points being made. I have noticed in modern days, that "appropriate" attire is being redefined, especially by teenage girls. I see slinky low cut tops, low rider jeans with underwear showing, and even worse- no underwear at all and just skin showing. While I do not go with hard and fast rigid rules for church attire (our church we wear jeans/t-shirts, or sometimes slacks & a blouse), but the nonsense in my mind comes when women feel they have to show everything off. Now I do not agree with the legalistic/rigidness of UPC in only wearing dresses for the women, but there does need to be modesty.
I agree totally with you. What the people wear should be in modesty and humility. Not in whether they wear pants or not, dress clothes or not but in simplicity and the exaltation of Christ. The reason why many of the older saints imposed dress codes was to show a distinct difference between those of the world and those of the redeemed the Church. They wanted to be examples to new converts on godliness in spirit as well as in life. We are starting to stray from that and allow any and everything to infect our holy assemblies and this is causing the Church to offer up Strange fire as Aaron's sons did in the book of Numbers. We need to return to inward holy lifestyles as well as displaying Christ in our outward lives as well that is how we effectively witness!