Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update:

Social worker at hospital says they are releasing mom on March 20 because Medicare won't pay for any longer. Sending her home in ambulance and stretcher.

The physical therapist said mom stood up with walker for the first time today...with help of two therapists.

We will get physical therapy at our apartment from a home care agency.

Pray for her to gain strength. Thanks.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Update:

Social worker at hospital says they are releasing mom on March 20 because Medicare won't pay for any longer. Sending her home in ambulance and stretcher.

The physical therapist said mom stood up with walker for the first time today...with help of two therapists.

We will my friend .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Update:

I pray for you and you mum. It's good that she can come home and get physio and I hope you will both be given the strength and peace to get her completely well again.

Reactions: dev553344 and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Today talked with the physical therapist again....will need to use diapers on mom. Hopefully once she gets stronger I can help her onto the portable commode.

Therapist says mom must have two people to raise her from the bed.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Update:

What great news, it’s also good that you will be getting ongoing care from the agency, you will certainly need it, I hope and pray that God is giving you the strength ,which I’m sure he is, to carry on with your duties in caring for her, Debp, your mother is blessed to have you as a daughter...God Bless Sis and God Bless your Mum....that she continues to build her strength up in Jesus Name,Amen!

Ps, hows her appetite coming along if I may ask?...xx

Reactions: Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Today talked with the physical therapist again....will need to use diapers on mom. Hopefully once she gets stronger I can help her onto the portable commode.

Be careful how you help her onto the commode Debp, when she gets stronger, ..not telling you what to do Sis, I was a carer for many years, ..after a hip surgery, one must be careful how they move the patient...I’m sure they have already shown you that.....plus given you plenty of advice...

God Bless and please keep us updated,xx

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Hi Debp,

Did the physical therapist talk about how you can move your mother around on the bed with a plastic sheet? It is a technique that my wife used to demonstrate to parents with handicapped children. the plastic sheet enabled them to move their children on the bed so that they would be able to stand their children by the side of the bed with just one person.

From your brief description, does the therapist believe believe that you need a mobile host to raise your mother from the bed?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Much love for today Depp as your mum comes home. Kind of frustrated that she is being sent home ‘ because Medicare won’t pay for anymore ‘ ……..such a pressure on you with what will be expected.
Just sending you a ((( hug ))) really.
I wonder the same as @Jay Ross , if two people are required and you live on your own with your mum are they going to provide any help or equipment. We use to use slide sheets in the carehome to move people up and down on beds.

Reactions: Pearl and Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What great news, it’s also good that you will be getting ongoing care from the agency, you will certainly need it, I hope and pray that God is giving you the strength ,which I’m sure he is, to carry on with your duties in caring for her, Debp, your mother is blessed to have you as a daughter...God Bless Sis and God Bless your Mum....that she continues to build her strength up in Jesus Name,Amen!

Ps, hows her appetite coming along if I may ask?...xx

Her appetites not big but when I was allowed to order food for her, she ate. (I told them she was going to starve to death...no food for 7 days! Just a pudding or two and a yogurt!)

I ordered grilled cheese and ham sandwiches, puddings, some soup. For awhile she wanted cheeseburgers but then said it was too hard to eat. For breakfast she liked muffins and puddings. I ordered sausage but she wasn't keen on it or their bacon.

If they had something I thought she would like, I ordered that....like chili and cornbread... turkey and mashed potatoes.

I ordered what she would eat... better something in her than nothing.

Be careful how you help her onto the commode Debp, when she gets stronger, ..not telling you what to do Sis, I was a carer for many years, ..after a hip surgery, one must be careful how they move the patient...I’m sure they have already shown you that.....plus given you plenty of advice...

God Bless and please keep us updated,xx

Actually I had to phone and ask to speak to one of the physical therapists and ask questions.

In response, she said I can move mom's legs while on bed for circulation. She said mom can roll onto her sides somewhat.

I asked if the surgeon can phone me. Want to find out how long fracture takes to heal.

Also, they have been giving her injections to prevent blood clots in her legs. I want to ask him if she will come home with blood thinners or if I can exercise her legs for circulation instead.

If she gets blood thinners, I wonder how long she would need them.

Reactions: Pearl

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Debp,

Did the physical therapist talk about how you can move your mother around on the bed with a plastic sheet? It is a technique that my wife used to demonstrate to parents with handicapped children. the plastic sheet enabled them to move their children on the bed so that they would be able to stand their children by the side of the bed with just one person.

From your brief description, does the therapist believe believe that you need a mobile host to raise your mother from the bed?

Much love for today Depp as your mum comes home. Kind of frustrated that she is being sent home ‘ because Medicare won’t pay for anymore ‘ ……..such a pressure on you with what will be expected.
Just sending you a ((( hug ))) really.
I wonder the same as @Jay Ross , if two people are required and you live on your own with your mum are they going to provide any help or equipment. We use to use slide sheets in the carehome to move people up and down on beds.

Apparently the reason two people are needed is because she cannot stand up on her own even with a walker.

March 18 was the first time they stood her up. (She had the hip surgery on March 5.) She had a walker and the two therapists holding her up.

Honestly I think she got so weak from not eating for 7 days. If I hadn't loudly complained that she was going to starve to death, I think they would have just kept removing her uneaten food trays.

Maybe they are overworked? Or they just don't use commonsense here.

I'm hoping, praying that the home care physical therapist can help her get somewhat stronger. If the doctor orders the home care agency I mentioned, it's a young Korean man that came last August when mom got a checkup.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Her appetites not big but when I was allowed to order food for her, she ate. (I told them she was going to starve to death...no food for 7 days! Just a pudding or two and a yogurt!)

I ordered grilled cheese and ham sandwiches, puddings, some soup. For awhile she wanted cheeseburgers but then said it was too hard to eat. For breakfast she liked muffins and puddings. I ordered sausage but she wasn't keen on it or their bacon.

If they had something I thought she would like, I ordered that....like chili and cornbread... turkey and mashed potatoes.

I ordered what she would eat... better something in her than nothing.

Actually I had to phone and ask to speak to one of the physical therapists and ask questions.

In response, she said I can move mom's legs while on bed for circulation. She said mom can roll onto her sides somewhat.

I asked if the surgeon can phone me. Want to find out how long fracture takes to heal.

Also, they have been giving her injections to prevent blood clots in her legs. I want to ask him if she will come home with blood thinners or if I can exercise her legs for circulation instead.

If she gets blood thinners, I wonder how long she would need them.
Thanks for the update, Debp, I’m glad she is eating again, that must have been a worrying time,...I must ask my eldest son how long his hip fracture took to heal, then get back to you, she’s got a pin in her hip hasn’t she?....what a strong lady she must be, Bless her heart, may she get stronger as each day goes by, In Jesus Name, Amen,xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the update, Debp, I’m glad she is eating again, that must have been a worrying time,...I must ask my eldest son how long his hip fracture took to heal, then get back to you, she’s got a pin in her hip hasn’t she?....what a strong lady she must be, Bless her heart, may she get stronger as each day goes by, In Jesus Name, Amen,xx
Thanks for your concern.

The surgeon put a rod in the bone plus screws....his words.

Finally got mom home March 20, early evening.

She seems in good spirits. Wanted her hot dog for dinner. Gave her fruit and little bit of ice cream.

I was telling mom all evening to just urinate in her diaper. Later in the evening, I realized they had sent her home without a diaper on!!!

I had put a light protective pad on her bed. But somehow when the ambulance guys laid her on the bed, the pad ended up mostly at her head and upper body...very little at her butt!

I also wasn't too good at trying to get a diaper on her. So I laid another unfolded diaper under her, too.

Physical therapist coming later today, Thursday 21st. Occupational therapist coming on Friday, 22nd. They can teach me about the diapers.

Nurse supposed to come today as well to assess mom.

• Love

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your concern.

The surgeon put a rod in the bone plus screws....his words.

Finally got mom home March 20, early evening.
Crikey, screws as well, my Son posted me a X-ray of his pin in his hip,I will ask him if I can show it here, I must message him regarding how long it took to recover, I know he said he was laid up for 3 months and had 2 months of physio,...he was complaining on Saturday that the hip that has the pin In was hurting, ..my cage that holds my breastbone together, hurts at times, 6 yrs after heart surgery.
She seems in good spirits. Wanted her hot dog for dinner. Gave her fruit and little bit of ice cream.
happy to hear that her spirit is up, did she eat it all?..lol.
I was telling mom all evening to just urinate in her diaper. Later in the evening, I realized they had sent her home without a diaper on!!!

I had put a light protective pad on her bed. But somehow when the ambulance guys laid her on the bed, the pad ended up mostly at her head and upper body...very little at her butt!

I also wasn't too good at trying to get a diaper on her. So I laid another unfolded diaper under her, too.

That’s a good idea, just laying the pad under her, it doesn’t need to be attached around her, she can just urinate on it, then it will protect her and the bed...she wasn’t catheterised then Depb?....
Physical therapist coming later today, Thursday 21st. Occupational therapist coming on Friday, 22nd. They can teach me about the diapers.
That’s good.
Nurse supposed to come today as well to assess mom.
When you say assess, does that mean what type of care package she will receive?

Hope I’m not being to nosey,Debp?..xx

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you get good feedback and help from those coming in to see you, over here care plans would be put in place before a person is allowed to go home. I Hope you mum had a good night and the pad did what it was supposed to do.
I remember my dad being sent home with a catheter and I had never dealt with one before - I didn’t live with my dad so I was constantly having to go down to make sure he had empties the bag. I was really anxious until I got use to things - but I had little or no guidance from anyone. I had to get dads mattress completely protected, which did help as sheets could be washed.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Crikey, screws as well, my Son posted me a X-ray of his pin in his hip,I will ask him if I can show it here, I must message him regarding how long it took to recover, I know he said he was laid up for 3 months and had 2 months of physio,...he was complaining on Saturday that the hip that has the pin In was hurting, ..my cage that holds my breastbone together, hurts at times, 6 yrs after heart surgery.

happy to hear that her spirit is up, did she eat it all?..lol.

That’s a good idea, just laying the pad under her, it doesn’t need to be attached around her, she can just urinate on it, then it will protect her and the bed...she wasn’t catheterised then Depb?....

That’s good.

When you say assess, does that mean what type of care package she will receive?

Hope I’m not being to nosey,Debp?..xx

She ate the hot dog, left a lot of the bread (need to get more buns). Ate some pineapple, left the rest of the fruit.

Yes, at hospital she had a catheter. Then they switched to diapers.

Yes, the home care agency sends a nurse out first to see what care mom will need.

Because the same agency did mom's checkup last August, they know me so they are sending the physical therapist and occupational therapist immediately....since I told them she cannot stand up.

The home care agency also told me before mom came home that Medicare covers a nursing home for 20 days. And she recommended one...the man with the nursing home also phoned me.

However, when I talked to the discharge woman at the hospital, she said Medicare only covers nursing home for a "skilled nursing need" which my mom doesn't have.

I wasn't sure about the nursing home anyhow....but glad I brought mom home. She is seemingly doing well... except for not standing and the diapers which I shall learn.

Hopefully she can get strong enough to go on the portable commode eventually after physical therapy.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There’s no place like home, I’m not saying the medical staff didn’t care for her, of course they did...it’s just that she is now in her own home where she is “ Loved” back with her beloved daughter....xx

• Love

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
P.S. Medicare is very fussy.

Last time Mom was in the hospital for a fractured back, they refused to pay for her diabetes glucose test strips....(100 days worth...one a day).

I did two appeals....told them she was only in the hospital for 16 nights, but they were refusing to pay for 100 days worth. I lost both appeals.

Thankfully, CVS pharmacy didn't bill me the approximate $165 for 100 strips which Medicare refused to pay. (Normally I pay $16.)

So this time I have to ask CVS when it's safe to order new strips.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
P.S. Medicare is very fussy.

Last time Mom was in the hospital for a fractured back, they refused to pay for her diabetes glucose test strips....(100 days worth...one a day).

I did two appeals....told them she was only in the hospital for 16 nights, but they were refusing to pay for 100 days worth. I lost both appeals.

Thankfully, CVS pharmacy didn't bill me the approximate $165 for 100 strips which Medicare refused to pay. (Normally I pay $16.)

So this time I have to ask CVS when it's safe to order new strips.
All this red tape you have to go through,Debp, as if you haven’t been through enough already, it’s the same here in the UK, I just pray for the best possible outcome, In Jesus Name, Amen!!