Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your poor mum, she must be in so much pain, praying that the hospital staff make her as comfortable as possible, that must have been a shock for her when that happened ,Depb, how do they fix a broken hip?

I hope they gave her pain relief?..how is she bearing up?

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your poor mum, she must be in so much pain, praying that the hospital staff make her as comfortable as possible, that must have been a shock for her when that happened ,Depb, how do they fix a broken hip?

I hope they gave her pain relief?..how is she bearing up?

They gave her Morphine in the ER so I guess that's what they are still using. Ambulance medics gave phenobarbital.

The orthopedic surgeon came in while I was there last evening. He said they put some rods in the bones and use screws. He says there can be complications and also she is 94.

Because she has an irregular heartbeat, surgery was delayed. Cardiologist wanted to give medication for that first. If all goes as planned she will have the surgery this afternoon.

Surgeon said he will phone me.

Aw sorry to hear. I'm actually on my way out the door to go fix one.

In California, when it rains, it pours. Prayers for her and you.

Oh, you are a doctor? That's nice!

Saying prayers for your Mom. Make sure she gets enough calcium and vitamin D for strong bones at her age.
I was always after her about her taking that. Told her I didn't want her bones breaking!

She couldn't swallow the Calcium pills so I got her the chews. Would have to be after her to even eat the chew.

I get more Calcium in my diet...milk, cheese, etc.

Going to bed soon, tired.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
They gave her Morphine in the ER so I guess that's what they are still using. Ambulance medics gave phenobarbital.

The orthopedic surgeon came in while I was there last evening. He said they put some rods in the bones and use screws. He says there can be complications and also she is 94.

Because she has an irregular heartbeat, surgery was delayed. Cardiologist wanted to give medication for that first. If all goes as planned she will have the surgery this afternoon.

Surgeon said he will phone me
Praying that the surgery goes well for your Mum, that must have been one heck of a fall, if she’s having to undergo surgery, I broke my wrist some years ago, that was so painful ,they also administered morphine through a cannula, I expect they did the same for your Mum!....will continue to pray for you both, I hope you too are holding up ok as well Depb...it’s not an easy time for you just lately....God Bless Sis and please keep us informed...God Bless Debps Mum, will be thinking of you today as you undergo surgery....

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks everyone.

The surgeon phoned me yesterday and said the surgery went smoothly. She was sleeping last evening so I will visit her this afternoon. Hopefully now that she can eat and drink she will improve.

Since she is so hard of hearing, was on pain medication and nervous, the surgery nurses thought she had dementia. They phoned me to consent to the operation with three nurses on the phone as witnesses. I told them she simply cannot hear them....they didn't know that.

Earlier in the day they phoned saying she wouldn't sign the consent form for surgery. So I asked them to turn the phone volume up high and talked with her about signing it...then she did that.

P.S. Her evening nurse had such a thick foreign accent that I could barely understand her. Imagine a nearly deaf person trying to understand her.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She cannot eat or drink. They hope she is just swollen in throat due to intubation during surgery.

If she can't eat by tomorrow, they will put a feeding tube down her nose into the stomach. That's painful one nurse said so they are waiting another day. No nutrition since Sunday night.

I visited her today.... comprehension was good but she cannot talk...just a brief sound.

Chains Broken

Oct 26, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She cannot eat or drink. They hope she is just swollen in throat due to intubation during surgery.

If she can't eat by tomorrow, they will put a feeding tube down her nose into the stomach. That's painful one nurse said so they are waiting another day. No nutrition since Sunday night.

I visited her today.... comprehension was good but she cannot talk...just a brief sound.
Praying the swelling goes down and that she can eat/drink without the tube

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sure hope you mum is doing ok, I know anything at the age of 90 can take its toll , really hope she can eat something and avoid the feeding tube. Xxxx
Does she live on her own, just wonder how that will impact you when she goes home - daughter is due for a hip replacement in the next few months ( she is 42, but will still need support ) -

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure hope you mum is doing ok, I know anything at the age of 90 can take its toll , really hope she can eat something and avoid the feeding tube. Xxxx
Does she live on her own, just wonder how that will impact you when she goes home - daughter is due for a hip replacement in the next few months ( she is 42, but will still need support ) -
She is 94. She and I live together. I am her full-time caregiver and do everything.

I always prayed to the Lord to keep me living longer than her as she has no one else here.

I have a few younger cousins scattered around the USA but we haven't seen them in many years. One of them, Dana, lives in Ohio with his wife....they visited us several years ago.

Dana used to live in Los Angeles in the late 1960s. We came out to Los Angeles in 1967. Then there was a 12 second earthquake and the other family members fled to Arizona. We had jobs and liked Los Angeles so we stayed here. My dad died in 1975.