Mom broke her hip

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mom is starting to eat a bit the past couple of days. I also bought her Ensure nutritional shakes...she won't drink a whole shake but I give her a little at a time.

However, this evening she complained about her ankle and/or foot bothering her. She says she has a pain. She just called me in again and said her foot hurts... wanted me to rub it. Please pray for her foot/ankle. I have no idea what happened.

A few days ago she developed a pressure sore so the home care agency had a LVN come yesterday and treat and bandage the sore. Thankfully she will come every day until it starts to heal.

The LVN was a great help to me in helping get mom up towards the headboard. Also, she remade the bed with mom in it! (The sheets were going up to mom's waist.)

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the update, Sis, so happy to hear she is doing a little better.

What does she do all day, Sis?

As she is bed bound.xx
She can't do anything. I prop her up when she wants to eat, she calls me when she needs water or something. I roll her onto her sides when I change her diapers.

In the past I know mom always prayed....so maybe she does that.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
She can't do anything. I prop her up when she wants to eat, she calls me when she needs water or something. I roll her onto her sides when I change her diapers.

In the past I know mom always prayed....so maybe she does that.
Can’t she read in bed ,Sis?...or maybe play board games with you?xx

Just to give her mind stimulation.

Reactions: Lambano

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can’t she read in bed ,Sis?...or maybe play board games with you?xx

Just to give her mind stimulation.
No, she's not interested in that. Right now she's resting on the pillow, sometimes dozes off, and when she's ready to eat, I'll prop her up. I changed her diaper earlier and the LVN came to attend her pressure sore.

I asked her awhile back if she would like to look at some photos or a book I have with pretty scenery....she said no.

Btw, she hasn't complained about her heel pain today. The LVN said to put a blanket under her ankle so her heel isn't resting on the bed.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I can understand that...breaking one’s hip at 94 and going through all that pain, is one “ HUGE” shock to the system..

Thinking and praying for you both ,Sis,xxx

Reactions: Nancy and Debp

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The LVN said to put a blanket under her ankle so her heel isn't resting on the bed.
Yes, we used to put a small pillow under their leg, then the heel is off the bed...xx

I wonder what it’s like in care work now, obviously the same I would imagine regarding personal care, ....all the different equipment they now use....

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be honest I can understand that...breaking one’s hip at 94 and going through all that pain, is one “ HUGE” shock to the system..

Thinking and praying for you both ,Sis,xxx
Actually the only time mom complained about pain (re hip) was when she first fell and broke it. In the ambulance going over to the hospital, they gave her some pain killer.

But she always seems to decline after being in a hospital...but this time it's a worse decline. Of course, she wasn't eating well there until they let me order her some things that she might eat. I guess they were afraid of being sued...she hadn't eaten for a week and then I squacked about that.

I also wonder if they didn't try to do much physical therapy with her. They sent her home not even being able to stand up after 16 nights there.

When she fractured her back in 2022, the other hospital had physical therapists working with her to get her walking and even do a few steps on stairs.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But she always seems to decline after being in a hospital...but this time it's a worse decline. Of course, she wasn't eating well there until they let me order her some things that she might eat. I guess they were afraid of being sued...she hadn't eaten for a week and then I squacked about that.
I understand exactly what you say here,...many years back when I was hospitalised with ME, the professor who saw me, wrote it down on the board at the bottom of my bed, what I needed , I couldn’t lift my arms I was so weak, etc... ..none of it was done, ..need I say any more...that was “ my” experience before any one jumps on me.xx

• Sad

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand exactly what you say here,...many years back when I was hospitalised with ME, the professor who saw me, wrote it down on the board at the bottom of my bed, what I needed , I couldn’t lift my arms I was so weak, etc... ..none of it was done, ..need I say any more...that was “ my” experience before any one jumps on me.xx
That's terrible. Did they give you a glass of water, hold it for you?

This hospital would put a pitcher of water on a portable table beside the bed. It was too heavy for mom to handle I could see that when I visited.

I told one of the nurses you actually have to hand her a cup of water. If it's in a pitcher she won't be able to drink it.

Have no idea what they did when I wasn't there or wasn't asking them on the phone about doing something for mom...like rinsing her dentures. When I caught a cold, I couldn't visit her for some days....when I went I would clean her dentures.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That's terrible. Did they give you a glass of water, hold it for you?

It was so many years ago Sis, I can’t remember, I was glad when all the tests were done to get home, I did not feel safe under those nurses care.

I had a personal carer come to my home, and I tell you I had to fight for that, In my weakened condition, “ disgusting “ I was so ill!!....., she helped me with my personal care, and did my shopping for me, my mum and my Son who was around 5 at the time helped me, my Son has never forgotten what I went through.
This hospital would put a pitcher of water on a portable table beside the bed. It was too heavy for mom to handle I could see that when I visited.
Exactly...just because they are a nurse, doesn’t mean that they all care and have empathy..
I told one of the nurses you actually have to hand her a cup of water. If it's in a pitcher she won't be able to drink it.
100% agree.
Have no idea what they did when I wasn't there or wasn't asking them on the phone about doing something for mom...like rinsing her dentures. When I caught a cold, I couldn't visit her for some days....when I went I would clean her dentures.
She’s home now Sis and with her beloved Daughter, thank God,xx

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
On saying all that Sis, when I had open heart surgery at the Brompton Hospital in London , they were excellent!!!

I had my own personal nurses, as I went through from recovery, 24/7 care I got.....they were all dedicated to their profession, I can’t praise them enough.

This is my surgeon, I believe he has now retired,xx..lovely man, very caring in my follow up appointments.

Mr Anthony De Souza

Mr Anthony De Souza​

Consultant cardiac surgeon
Mr Anthony De Souza is a consultant cardiac surgeon and clinical director of surgery for Royal Brompton Hospital.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just had a thought @Debp
NOT that you haven thought of or even tried with your mum. A captivating novel read by her bedside when she is at her sharpest or, more aware state. Maybe an old favorite book or story of hers. I know nothing of her likes or dislikes but, I know I would enjoy something like that.
JMO sister.
xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just had a thought @Debp
NOT that you haven thought of or even tried with your mum. A captivating novel read by her bedside when she is at her sharpest or, more aware state. Maybe an old favorite book or story of hers. I know nothing of her likes or dislikes but, I know I would enjoy something like that.
JMO sister.
xx

About the only book my mom read is the Bible. She's not a novel/fiction person.
She cannot hear, hardly at all so I can't really read to her.

Although she isn't eating much at all, her mind is fine. That's what's amazing.

Yesterday and today she has had a lot of diarrhea...it takes me an hour each time to clean her up, I get exhausted.

She left most of her pot pie although she said she wanted it. I tried to get her to eat the crust so her bowel movements wouldn't be so mushy. She just wouldn't eat.

Just this minute she called me in. I had to remind her she had the pot pie which she left. However, she asked me if I ate....so her mind is still functioning.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday and today she has had a lot of diarrhea...it takes me an hour each time to clean her up, I get exhausted.
You should not be doing that alone, exhausted!!!...indeed and darn well back breaking, I don’t think they realise what a toll it takes doing all that personal care on your own, I think it’s a downright disgrace...

They need to darn well live a week in your shoes, they may then wake up to the real world!!!

Sorry Sis, just makes me so angry, because I know exactly what you are doing...all I can say is, God must be giving you the strength to help your mother with her personal care....especially at our age, we ain’t no spring chicken that’s for sure.xx

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The night mom left her pot pie uneaten, she wanted to eat at 3:15 am...so I gave her cottage cheese and crackers. Cottage cheese seems to be easy for her to eat... anything to get into her.

Just changed her awhile ago and thank God no diarrhea. I wonder if that Ensure nutritional shake caused diarrhea... although she wouldn't drink much and now she refuses it.

The nurse, Jung, coming daily to clean and change dressing on the bedsore helps immensely. She is not real large but still is able to pull mom up to the headboard.

Peter, the PT, dropped by for a minute to give a bag of healthy snacks for mom. She probably won't eat much of it but so kind of him to do that.

Reactions: Ritajanice